1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default NYC for the Holidays?

Going to be in the Big Apple for a few days between Christmas and New Years. There are several million things to do in the area, so I figured I'd start a thread to get some tips from inhabitants or frequent visitors.
    I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel

DM for "A City Alone" [4E D&D - IC, OOC]
    [Combat Tracker][Encounter Map][Ship Map]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: NYC for the Holidays?

It might help if you gave some ideas about what your interests and budget might be... Are you looking for restaurants, museums, concerts, plays, musicals, outdoor activities, shopping...?

3. - Top - End - #3

NY has such a rep that people will ask:

1) Did you see the tree in Rockefeller Center?
    2) Did you go see the Rockettes?
    3) Did you go to FAO Scwartz?

All of these are nice and worth seeing, but you will have fun if you only buy hot chestnuts and people watch in Times Square.

However, if you've got money, grab some of the few remaining seats left and see Rene Fleming at the Metropolitan Opera House on New Years Eve.
    Last edited by Scarlet Knight; 2014-11-19 at 07:51 PM.
    "Venite adoremus,
    venite adoremus,
    venite adoremus
    Dominum!"

4. - Top - End - #4

SolithKnightGuy

I've got all the obvious stuff on the list - Top of the Rock, Brooklyn Bridge, Statue of Liberty, etc. I'm more looking for hidden gems or local spots. Budget is tight once all the big stuff is accounted for, and we only have three days, so it will be pretty packed in terms of activities. Fortunately we're staying right in the heart of the city.

We have various interests, but I'm really open to hearing about anything that other people think is cool.
    I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel

DM for "A City Alone" [4E D&D - IC, OOC]
    [Combat Tracker][Encounter Map][Ship Map]

5. - Top - End - #5

The only thing I really liked about NYC any time I've been there was this little jazz club I went to in Harlem that, unfortunately, didn't have a sign that I could see. I'm sure it's not the only cool hole-in-the-wall jazz club in Harlem, though, so maybe just go around looking for one of those?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Last Christmas I went down to Battery Park and watched the sun set behind the Statue of Liberty, which was pretty spectacular (and free) (but cold!). You get a great view there over the water. A bunch of people gathered by the water to watch the sun go down (it was a particularly stunning display that day) and one of the Coast Guard boats offshore started trolling us by driving back and forth playing a really old-school version of 'Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer' over their P.A. system Not the kind of thing you can really schedule, but if you're doing any sightseeing in the area you could try to time it right and hope for good skies...

Foodwise... make sure you get some real live NYC pizza. There are a lot of great places... kinda depends what neighborhood you end up in. If you're staying in midtown I like Angelo's coal-oven pizza, I think it's on 57th. It's a nice, but not too expensive sit-down place so you can go there for dinner with your family (or whoever) and everyone will be happy. If you're downtown, Arturo's on Houston is great also.

The Bad Plus is at the Village Vanguard over New Years week and they are really fun if you like jazz. And the Vanguard is a very historic place which is sort of a mecca for jazz fans. If I were visiting on a day they were playing I'd go see them.

I haven't made it down there yet myself but everyone and their mother says the Highline Park is a cool walk to take, and again - free.

And since this is GITP and we like weird fantasy type stuff - keep an eye out for Toynbee Tiles in midtown, there are a bunch; and check out Forbidden Planet for all your comic/graphic novel and related merch needs...

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by SarahV View Post
    I haven't made it down there yet myself but everyone and their mother says the Highline Park is a cool walk to take, and again - free.
    I have been there and loved the view, but just be aware that with the recent snow, I fear the park itself might be underwhelming, especially if the wind kicks up.

Chinatown is always interesting and usually you can find inexpensive food.

Of course, I personally love the dirty water dogs they sell all over the city.
    "Venite adoremus,
    venite adoremus,
    venite adoremus
    Dominum!"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Hope you like cold, wet, unhappy crowds preventing you from seeing pretty much everything you want to see.
    bees

Iron Avatarist is on hiatus. Feel free to admire my trophies, though.
    Spoiler
    Show

I am not brave enough to say something outrageous and be serious. You'll be happier if you assume I'm joking.
    Playgrounders say the darndest things.

HAPPY HYDRADAYS!!!

9. - Top - End - #9

I am deeply hoyt by your inference that we New Yorkers are unpleasant. Poysonally, I love to see tourists and dare money families roamin’ the Great White Way! Especially when I got a special today on deese gen-u-wine Yankee tickets youse can have for dis afternoon’s game! Half off for da holidays!
    "Venite adoremus,
    venite adoremus,
    venite adoremus
    Dominum!"