New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Grave Master (Summoner Archetype) (PEACH)

Yeah, it's sorta like that.

The Grave Master devotes much of their time to the study of undead, learning the inner workings of life beyond death. In doing so, they develop the ability to summon and command undying minions, as well as create legions of risen corpses to serve their will.

Spells: Add the following spells to the Summoner spell list:

1st - Repair Undead, Inflict Light Wounds
    2nd - Animate Dead, Command Undead, Desecrate, Inflict Moderate Wounds
    3rd - Mass Repair Undead, Inflict Serious Wounds, Undead Anatomy I
    4th - Create Undead, Inflict Critical Wounds, Undead Anatomy II
    5th - Undead Anatomy III
    6th - Greater Create Undead, Undead Anatomy IV

Eidolon: A Grave Master's Eidolon receives the Undead Appearance evolution for free. At 5th level, they receive the improved version without the need to spend additional evolution points; this is an exception to the normal minimum summoner level of 7th to receive the benefit of the improved version of Undead Appearance. At 10th level, they receive the further-improved version without spending additional evolution points; this is an exception to the normal minimum summoner level of 12th to receive the benefit of the further-improved version of Undead Appearance.

If the Grave Master's Eidolon is summoned in the area of a Desecrate spell, they receive 2 temporary HP for every Hit Die they have. These temporary HP persist until the next time the Eidolon is summoned in the area of a Desecrate spell, when they are replaced by the new temporary HP.

This alters the Eidolon ability.

Summon Undead: Instead of summoning extraplanar monsters, a Grave Master summons undead to serve their bidding for short periods of time. This functions identically to the summoner's Summon Monster ability, but the list of creatures that can be summoned is changed. The following lists replace the normal summon monster lists:

Summon Monster I: Any undead of CR 1/2 or less
    Summon Monster II: Any undead of CR 1
    Summon Monster III: Any undead of CR 2
    Summon Monster IV: Any undead of CR 3 or 4
    Summon Monster V: Any undead of CR 5 or 6
    Summon Monster VI: Any undead of CR 7 or 8
    Summon Monster VII: Any undead of CR 9 or 10
    Summon Monster VIII: Any undead of Cr 11 or 12
    Summon Monster IX: Any undead of CR 13 or 14

(Note: summoned undead may not have class levels)

This alters the Summon Monster ability.

Gate: This ability functions normally, except as follows:
    The Gate may open to any point on any plane, including the caster's own plane
    The summoned creature must be of the Undead type
    The summoned creature may have class levels if and only if all of their Hit Dice are derived from class levels (e.g. a 12th-level Lich Sorcerer may be summoned, but not a 3rd-level Bodak Fighter). Specific creatures (i.e. those which the Grave Master knows the name and location of) are exceptions to this requirement.

This alters the Gate ability.

Final Destination: Upon reaching 20th level, a Grave Master may choose a template that changes a creature's type to undead that does not eliminate class levels (e.g. Lich or Dread Ghost may be chosen, but Skeleton may not). They then acquire this template (even if it is normally an inherited template), along with all of its normal benefits, drawbacks, and alterations. The Grave Master may choose to not gain a template; if they do not, their life is extended indefinitely, such that they do not die of old age (they may still be slain through artificial means such as hit point or Constitution damage). Any age penalties are removed, and no further age penalties are applied; age bonuses, however, still accrue. In addition, a Grave Master who does not choose a template gains the following qualities:

• Darkvision out to a range of 60 feet.
    • Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, morale effects, patterns, and phantasms).
    • Immunity to death effects, disease, paralysis, poison, sleep effects, and stunning.
    • Immunity to nonlethal damage, ability drain, and energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Constitution, Dexterity, and Strength), as well as to exhaustion and fatigue effects.
    • No need to breathe, eat, or sleep.
    • No risk of death from massive damage.

They do not, however, gain the Undead type or immunity to effects that require Fortitude saves that do not affect objects. They also do not lose the ability to heal naturally, and can still be raised or reincarnated. When they would take negative energy damage, they instead heal the amount of damage that would have been dealt, just as if they were an undead creature.

This replaces the Twin Eidolon ability.
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2014-12-16 at 02:11 PM.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Grave Master (Summoner Archetype) (PEACH)

Looks nice.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

This looks absolutely amazing. My only concern is that some undead, mostly incorporeal ones, can be devestatingly powerful even many CR lower than their opponents. That being said, there's nothing you could really do about that other than arbitrarily limit those certain undead. The capstone is awesome, although I might recommend setting a limit on which undead template someone can pick, because one person picking "Necropolitan" and another picking "Dread vampire" are gonna get very different mileage, and it can get worse depending on what content is allowed. I'd recommend just specifically naming a few Undead like Ghost, Lich, Mummy and Vampire and let them pick from that. As a huge fan of necromancy this is going on my list of classes I must try.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Bumping for additional feedback.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I love this, and will probably try to incorporate it into an upcoming campaign I'm running.

Quote Originally Posted by DreganHiregard View Post
    The capstone is awesome, although I might recommend setting a limit on which undead template someone can pick, because one person picking "Necropolitan" and another picking "Dread vampire" are gonna get very different mileage, and it can get worse depending on what content is allowed. I'd recommend just specifically naming a few Undead like Ghost, Lich, Mummy and Vampire and let them pick from that. As a huge fan of necromancy this is going on my list of classes I must try.
    I actually disagree. The variety gives the players a choice. Maybe someone wants to become a vampire with all that it entails, while another player only wants to be turned into a basic undead with no special weaknesses, like Necropolitan (which is technically unavailable, since PF has no Necropolitan).
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I love this, and will probably try to incorporate it into an upcoming campaign I'm running.
    Yay! Always good when my homebrew is appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I actually disagree. The variety gives the players a choice. Maybe someone wants to become a vampire with all that it entails, while another player only wants to be turned into a basic undead with no special weaknesses, like Necropolitan (which is technically unavailable, since PF has no Necropolitan).
    Indeed. The point of the non-template is if someone doesn't want all the undead weaknesses (favored enemy, turn undead, etc). I think I'll add a clause that lets you heal from negative energy.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show