New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGirl

Default Red Sun: A D&D 5e Setting based on DC comics

I tried something like this once, and there was a lot of support! So far it's an ongoing process, but I like this new version much better. So far I have a lot of work done, but I still need a little bit more before I'm finished.

I was hoping to look to the Playground for thoughts, critiques, advice, etc.

The google doc for the setting can be found here!
    Last edited by josienoms; 2014-11-18 at 10:59 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Red Sun: A D&D 5e Setting based on DC comics

First of all, the flavor/fluff of the setting is wonderful. Kudos to you good sir. But you asked for thoughts, critiques, and opinions.

One thing that would be helpful would be if you had a single list for all of the races. As it currently stands you have to read through the entire document to find all of the races, and for some it doesn't specify whether they are playable for PCs or not. Are the Atlantean dwarves the only ones, or do the standard Scottish sounding miners exist as well?

Regarding classes, which ones are allowed and which ones require modification? You mentioned wizards requiring some kind of lantern battery instead of a spellbook, but is that the only one?

What's the full list of gods? If we assume Trigon is a demon-god then the 18 pages leaves us with a total of 6 deities and no listed domains (if domains were removed in 5e then ignore that last part).

P.S. Any objections to a friend and I making a 3.5 and/or Pathfinder version for our own use?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jendekit View Post
    First of all, the flavor/fluff of the setting is wonderful. Kudos to you good sir. But you asked for thoughts, critiques, and opinions.

One thing that would be helpful would be if you had a single list for all of the races. As it currently stands you have to read through the entire document to find all of the races, and for some it doesn't specify whether they are playable for PCs or not. Are the Atlantean dwarves the only ones, or do the standard Scottish sounding miners exist as well?

Regarding classes, which ones are allowed and which ones require modification? You mentioned wizards requiring some kind of lantern battery instead of a spellbook, but is that the only one?

What's the full list of gods? If we assume Trigon is a demon-god then the 18 pages leaves us with a total of 6 deities and no listed domains (if domains were removed in 5e then ignore that last part).

P.S. Any objections to a friend and I making a 3.5 and/or Pathfinder version for our own use?
    I'm glad you like the fluff!

First off, no harm done, but I'm a lady. Thought I should mention it.

All of the Races listed in the 5e Player's Handbook are allowed, with two new Subraces added, and some alterations to a few existing ones. Hill Dwarves are found in the Arkham Hills of Gotham, for instance, and Mountain Dwarves mostly in Mount Qward in Korugar.

As for Classes and Gods, this document is still a work in progress, and those are the things I plan on tackling next. I just went with 9 gods, one for each Alignment option, and each of them does have a portfolio. I'm going to tack on a chart or something that lists all that information soon. And Classes pretty much remain the same. Wizards and Draconic Ancestry Sorcerers get some light refluffing, but all the others are identical to what's in the PHB.

And I'd be honored if you did! I put it here for people to look over and decide to use if they want to!
    Last edited by josienoms; 2014-11-19 at 01:30 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Well then kudos to you good lady

There's one last thing that is, for want of a better word, bugging me. In the doc you say that only those with the strongest will are chosen by the Guardians to learn the secrets of arcane magic, is that just flavor text?

I'm asking because for my Pathfinder adaptation there are 9 different arcane wielding classes and I'm hesitant to make all of them Green Lanterns.

Although now that I think about it if I cut out all of the ones that don't use spellbooks that drops it to just 3. If I make those 3 branches of the GLC then it is much more believable.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGirl

It is just flavor text. What's meant in this, since there aren't as many Classes in 5e, is that only Wizards are Green Lanterns. Other arcane casters do exist, they just don't fall under the purview of the Order.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Well, got my personal list of gods figured out. I decided that I liked the 9 god setup and went with it. The gods and their alignments are:
    Spoiler: Just in case
    Show
    • Kal-El (Lawful Good)
    • Rao (Neutral Good)
    • Shazam (Chaotic Good)
    • Maester Fyte (Lawful Neutral)
    • Hera (Neutral)
    • Krona (Chaotic Neutral)
    • Darkseid (Lawful Evil)
    • Black Ahd'am (Neutral Evil)
    • Trigon (Chaotic Evil)

Also, for future reference, I don't have access to 5E (hence my converting this into a Pathfinder version). I did a quick google search for the list of 5E races & classes, so don't feel the need to list them here.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGirl

Oooh, I like it! The list is pretty close to mine, which is now in the Doc. I'm fairly certain I'm done now.

I added in the gods and the changes to the Classes that get changes, and also added writeups for the Legion of Doom and the League of Shadows to the section that deals with International Organizations.

I might write up an adventure module eventually. Something about working in the Fortress of Solitude as a dungeon crawl, maybe.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Wait, does your setting not have full blown dragons?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGirl

It does, they just can't mate with humanoid races.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

I have decided that I'm sticking Mxyptlk in as the CN deity. He fits better than Krona and given how I'm more familiar with Marvel than DC I plain forgot about the little imp. Given the pot load of bloodlines to serve as sources of power for sorcerers, I'm not going to modify the Draconic bloodline, but I am going to restrict it to Dragonborn only. Even then they will be restricted to the breed that matches the one that they as an individual have leanings towards.

I must say, chapter 4 (Race Builder) of the Advanced Rage Guide for Pathfinder is a godsend for times like this! If I just want to tweak a race, it provides easy means to do so with its point build method. For those reading the thread other than me and the OP, here's the crunch for my Pathfinder version of Dragonborn.

Spoiler: In case any DON'T want to read it
    Show

At character creation, Dragonborn must choose a breed of dragon that their personal physiology aligns with. All racial traits pertaining to that breed are dictated on the following chart:
    Dragon Breed Energy Type
    Black Acid
    Blue Electricity
    Green Acid
    Red Fire
    White Cold
    Brass Fire
    Bronze Electricity
    Copper Acid
    Gold Fire
    Silver Cold
    • +2 Str, +2 Cha, -2 Dex
    • Reptilian: Dragonborn are humanoid with the reptilian subtype.
    • Medium: Dragonborn are Medium creatures and receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    • Normal Speed: Dragonborn have a base speed of 30 feet.
    • Low-Light Vision: Dragonborn can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
    • Elemental Assault (Su): Once per day as a swift action, Dragonborn can call upon the elemental power lurking in its veins to shrowd its arms in the energy type corresponding to the dragon breed it aligns with. Unarmed strikes with its elbows or hands (or attacks with weapons held in those hands) deal +1d6 points of damage of the appropriate energy type. This lasts for 1 round per character level. The Dragonborn may end the effects of its Elemental Assault as a free action.
    • Elemental Resistance (Ex): Dragonborn have resistance 5 to the energy type corresponding to the dragon breed it aligns with.
    • Fearless: Dragonborn gain a +2 racial bonus to all saving throws against fear effects.
    • Natural Weapons (Ex): Dragonborn have a bite attack that deals 1d4 points of damage.
    • Natural Armor: Dragonborn gain a +1 natural armor bonus due to their scaly hides.
    • Stubborn: Dragonborn receive a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting effects and poisons.
    • Languages: Dragonborn begin play speaking Common and Draconic. Dragonborn with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following languages: Dwarven, Elven, Halfling, Oan, and Orc.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

How does adding a spell to your Spellbook work with Lanterns, fluff-wise?

And Kara's and Trigon's domains are... interesting, to say the least.
    Last edited by Yenek; 2015-03-19 at 03:44 PM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Burlew
    (again I have to wonder why anyone gives a crap about whether it's fair to depict monsters are evil in fantasy games)
    I CARE. I care, and every goddamn person in the world should care, because it's objectification of a sentient being. It doesn't matter that the sentient being in question is a fictional species, it's saying that it's OK for people who look funny to be labeled as Evil by default.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have one thing to say - this. Is. Awesome
    Kudos to smuchmuch for the awesome 11th Doctor avatar!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGirl

Oh, wow. I wasn't expecting to see replies in this thread again!

Quote Originally Posted by Yenek View Post
    How does adding a spell to your Spellbook work with Lanterns, fluff-wise?

And Kara's and Trigon's domains are... interesting, to say the least.
    Adding a spell to your Lantern is mechanically the same, but fluff wise, it's about your Lantern gaining a stronger connection to the main lantern in Oa, and the source of all Green Lantern's magic.

As for Kara's domains, she's supposed to be a goddess of the Dusk, and her having the Death Domain comes from the contrast of Dusk and Dawn. For Trigon, the Nature domain comes mostly from the antlers.

Quote Originally Posted by ReturnOfTheKing View Post
    I have one thing to say - this. Is. Awesome
    Glad you think so!
    Last edited by josienoms; 2015-03-22 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Typo

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

This looks incredible. I have absolutely no idea on how I can contribute, but this is still cool nonetheless. However, you lose a point for killing off Batman. But the world is still awesome.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by moossabi View Post
    This looks incredible. I have absolutely no idea on how I can contribute, but this is still cool nonetheless. However, you lose a point for killing off Batman. But the world is still awesome.
    I just liked the idea of the Batman analogue in this world being a bit more... literal.

I'm glad to see so much interest in this setting again, though! I might be willing to start up another game.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by josienoms View Post
    I just liked the idea of the Batman analogue in this world being a bit more... literal.

I'm glad to see so much interest in this setting again, though! I might be willing to start up another game.
    Yeah, There was a base value of 167 points to begin with, so Batman being deadman doesn't hurt it all that much.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by moossabi View Post
    Yeah, There was a base value of 167 points to begin with, so Batman being deadman doesn't hurt it all that much.
    Good, good!

I also need to add in the stuff that has come up during play and through planning of my campaign. Like the Endless being patrons for Warlocks, the tribe of cannibal Dragonborn that lives in Gotham's swamps, or the Scarecrows.

I'm also tempted to replace the Hawk Clan with Aarakocra.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Good, good!

I also need to add in the stuff that has come up during play and through planning of my campaign. Like the Endless being patrons for Warlocks, the tribe of cannibal Dragonborn that lives in Gotham's swamps, or the Scarecrows.

I'm also tempted to replace the Hawk Clan with Aarakocra.
    Yeah, having Scarecrow in there would make it really fun...

But I don't understand the swamp thing. (pun not intended)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Killer Croc, basically.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    It's like Amazon.com around here; free 2-day shipping on all orders no matter how trivial.
    Quote Originally Posted by u/s_SoNick
    Dr Mog: Hey, spiffy new threads you got there Tyro.

Tyro: Pie jesu domine smacks book against forehead Dona eis requiem

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGirl

Yup, it's Killer Croc!

(And I did enjoy the Swamp Thing pun!)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yup, it's Killer Croc!

(And I did enjoy the Swamp Thing pun!)
    Ok, makes sense now.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGirl

Some of the things have been added. I slightly fixed Draconic Bloodline Sorcerers, and added the Endless as Warlock patrons.

I've also posted a recruitment thread for a new game!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Some of the things have been added. I slightly fixed Draconic Bloodline Sorcerers, and added the Endless as Warlock patrons.

I've also posted a recruitment thread for a new game!
    I probably won't be actively participating, but a game with Solomon Grundy and Mr Freeze sounds fun for spectating.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

It probably doesn't match the official one, but I made up a political map for whenever I run a Pathfinder game in the setting.

I only realized after uploading the pic that I forgot to include Ivyland, they're at the coastal border between Themyscira and the Central Plains.
    Come check out my setting blog: Ruins of the Forbidden Elder

Inspired by LudicSavant, I am posting deities: Erebos, The Black Sun

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jendekit View Post
    It probably doesn't match the official one, but I made up a political map for whenever I run a Pathfinder game in the setting.

I only realized after uploading the pic that I forgot to include Ivyland, they're at the coastal border between Themyscira and the Central Plains.
    That is so cool! I really love the fact that Tamaran is on a separate continent. There is no "official" map, just the vague outlines given in the descriptions of the nations.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

I am glad to have met the approval of the OP. Feel free to use/tweak the map to your heart's content.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGirl

I will!

Also, some changes are about to be made to the Google Doc. I'm going to change the Hawk Clan from Tieflings to Aarakocra, and also add in the Elemental Evil and DMG races. Though I'm still not sure what to do about the Eladrin and the Genasi.

The Deep Gnomes have become Krona and his followers, banished from Oa long ago for their extreme methods, the Goliaths are basically White Martians, and the Aasimar have become the Blue Lantern Corps, basically.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Could Amazo perhaps be a Warforged of some kind?
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    It's like Amazon.com around here; free 2-day shipping on all orders no matter how trivial.
    Quote Originally Posted by u/s_SoNick
    Dr Mog: Hey, spiffy new threads you got there Tyro.

Tyro: Pie jesu domine smacks book against forehead Dona eis requiem

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGirl

Oooh, that's a good idea.

I've also made some changes to the Doc! I've officially added in all of the new races and subraces that have come out since I wrote the original. I've added in a new nation and organization as well! All of this adds up to about two new pages of content.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

I updated the political map to include Ivyland (light green) and Odym (turquoise). I moved Ivyland from where I had it but I think I like the new spot more.