New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Entirely practical yet utterly ridiculous dreams

As Ifni says, the magic ingredients that make living privately better than living communally, are privacy, and being at least to an extent in control of your own space. Both are difficult to achieve in any sort of communal living environment, no matter how lavish. For those people who don't place a value on such things, there are options out there. For those who do, the savings in terms of cost and efficiency just aren't worth it.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Move to any other country. Not entirely possible for me unless I shape up and work for it, but hey, it's a dream.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Navian View Post
    If all the billionaires in the world pooled their resources, instead of each living in hundred-room mansions with their own staff of servants, they could all live in a gigantic crystal spire with the world's best food court, and eat whatever they wanted, prepared by top chefs from around the world, for free every day, surrounded by cultural ambience and live performances. Instead of each owning dozens of boats, yachts, automobiles and private aircraft, together they could build a fleet of communal high performance suborbital craft, helicopters, limousines, and watercraft, able to outperform their old vehicles by a factor of ten.

They could have bedrooms that would make the Princess of the Pea jealous, soundproof walls, the most amazing (terrestrial) views the world has ever seen, the world's greatest security staff, and the most innovative exercise facilities ever built. What kind of architectural masterpiece do you build when you have a budget for a swimming pool that's a thousand times higher than the one for the average palatial mansion's, and a thousand billionaires watching your every move as they take your bid? I'd love to find out!
    Have you considered the ramifications of having so many bloated egos housed under the same roof?

The build-up of hot air might result in the thermodynamic equivalent of an atom bomb.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyena View Post
    Move to any other country.
    Any other country? Even North Korea?

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Navian View Post
    If all the billionaires in the world pooled their resources, instead of each living in hundred-room mansions with their own staff of servants, they could all live in a gigantic crystal spire with the world's best food court, and eat whatever they wanted, prepared by top chefs from around the world, for free every day, surrounded by cultural ambience and live performances. Instead of each owning dozens of boats, yachts, automobiles and private aircraft, together they could build a fleet of communal high performance suborbital craft, helicopters, limousines, and watercraft, able to outperform their old vehicles by a factor of ten.

They could have bedrooms that would make the Princess of the Pea jealous, soundproof walls, the most amazing (terrestrial) views the world has ever seen, the world's greatest security staff, and the most innovative exercise facilities ever built. What kind of architectural masterpiece do you build when you have a budget for a swimming pool that's a thousand times higher than the one for the average palatial mansion's, and a thousand billionaires watching your every move as they take your bid? I'd love to find out!
    You're basically talking about an exaggerated version of One57, right?
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2014-12-04 at 12:56 AM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I have wish to eventually, in not too many years, spend some time in the summer in Denmark.

I want to have a dog again, although circumstances are preventing me from it currently.

I want to go skiing. Or for a swim. Either really.

I want to paint something.

... I might not be the best at this dream thing.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    Have you considered the ramifications of having so many bloated egos housed under the same roof?

The build-up of hot air might result in the thermodynamic equivalent of an atom bomb.
    Hahaha, yeah. This particular idea doesn't fall under the heading of 'practical', they'd never agree on what to spend money on or how to spend it. That's why we don't have floating cities already. But that's okay, aside from wanting to see the swimming pool, I don't think I'd really want a huge billionaires-only arcology to exist. That was the plot of the movie Elysium, and that didn't turn out very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    You're basically talking about an exaggerated version of One57, right?
    I've never heard about this before, but apparently, yes! I'll have to keep my eye on New York in the next century...

7. - Top - End - #97

I want to travel the world with my phone and my laptop. I want to meet people, experience different places' cultures, and somehow still maintain a relatively luxurious life (I want to still have internet access and stay in hotels nicer than hostels). That is my ultimate goal in life.

8. - Top - End - #98

I think it's hilarious that the site censored the second half of your cat's species name in it's mouse-over text, OP.

Also, I've always wanted to solve a real-life mystery. Everything I see on TV mystery's seems at least plausible, and I want it to happen to me, so badly. I want a real-life note on an arrow to mysteriously appear next to my head when I wake up, (which it totally could, theoretically, at any given moment), and have it lead to a dilemma that relies solely on my intellect (for any number of totally plausible reasons), to save the day.

Forget you guys, it's gonna happen...
    I take this game with the seriousness it deserves.
    Not all that much. It's a game.

Xykon In The Playground nominee, way back when that happened.

Rebel Leader

Breakfast-atar by The Neoclassic whom I appreciate very much!

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

-To have a movie made from my books that absolutely everyone hates and another one that everybody loves
    -To meet a fan of my book that brings up facts and details about my characters that I had completely forgotten. At that point you know you've made it.
    -To read a fanfic based on my work and decide 'yup, this is canon now.'
    -To own a coca cola factory
    -Watch a house burn to the ground (don't worry, I would own the house and no one would be inside - i just wanna see that huge fire)
    -Circumnavigate the planet in a private jet without stopping to land, and staying awake the whole trip
    -Spend a night in prison for a crime I didn't commit (yeah, I dunno why either, it seems like it'd suck)
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

10. - Top - End - #100

I aim to one day build a hand-mounter water hologram projector so I can appear to blast fire from my hands at conventions while merely sprinkling any potential victims with a gentle smoke-scented mist.

Also good for freaking out the neighbors while watering the plants.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Another practical but ridiculous dream I have is to move out of the country. To where, I don't know.

The other is to fully learn German but I don't think even Germans fully understand German.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

12. - Top - End - #102

Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    The other is to fully learn German but I don't think even Germans fully understand German.
    We really don't.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jhunter_d View Post
    I want to travel the world with my phone and my laptop. I want to meet people, experience different places' cultures, and somehow still maintain a relatively luxurious life (I want to still have internet access and stay in hotels nicer than hostels). That is my ultimate goal in life.
    Honestly you'd probably have a grander adventure without the phone and internet, or at least without the internet.

And yes, I've lived your dream (although I suspect my definition of "luxurious" diverges from your own quite a bit). It. Is. Awesome. You gotta do it.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

I want to buy a mobile home and use it as... my home. Permanently.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2014-12-08 at 05:39 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

15. - Top - End - #105

Zombie

My dream is to open the old movie theater where I live back up, totally renovated. It closed down a handful of years ago (3-5, memory is fuzzy there) and no one has even tried to lease the place yet. I think there might only be three screens there, but it would make a great oldschool theater again. I would do the oldschool thing too, double feature nights and all.

I saw movies there every couple months there for a while before it closed down (they even played RHPS the first Wednesday of every month for longer than I can remember) and they played all sorts of little indie movies and low budget ones too. I blame big corporate movie theaters for it closing down- that and the old owners never advertised for some reason and wondered why the got less and less business.

So, yeah, my dream is to own the movie theater downtown and run that place like a champ. A guy can dream, right?
    My opinion and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee at the 7/11, most others want the dollar too :P

Steam ID: blacklight101

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?
    At an observation deck at Port Wander, seeing his ship for the first time and being introduced to the bridge crew/away team that he hired before arriving.

16. - Top - End - #106

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    Honestly you'd probably have a grander adventure without the phone and internet, or at least without the internet.

And yes, I've lived your dream (although I suspect my definition of "luxurious" diverges from your own quite a bit). It. Is. Awesome. You gotta do it.
    Maybe so. I just can't imagine being away from the good fourmites of GiantITP, and email is always good.

Where did you go? How long were you away? I think that this is something that I'd seriously want to consider, and I'm so psyched to think that this might be in my future.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

Arm rockets. Design and build some rear-facing rockets mounted on the forearms for self stabilizing semi-flight and ROCKETPUNCHING. All I need is some way to make a rocket that doesn't use standard extremely hot fuel, 'cuz that would kinda cook your body. Mayhap two chemicals that rapidly and violently expand on contact with one another in an epoxy-style chamber? I'm not sure how feasable this is, but gee, wouldn't jumping around with arm rockets just be grand?

Either that or disarming and befriending a would-be mugger, Iroh-style.