New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Battle Sorcerer and Stalwart Sorcerer

I wanted to build a sorcerer who used both of these alternate features and is able to wear and cast in full plate, not mitheral full plate actual full plate

Is there a way to do this and still be a good primary melee combatant who uses the available spell slots to buff my strength etc, maybe with abjurant champion for even more BAB.

I want to effectively be the front line fighter in the group who fights even better than a barbarian etc would fight due to augmented magic.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Battle Sorcerer and Stalwart Sorcerer

It's come up before, and it's been questioned whether the combination is even legal. Something about Stalwart Sorcerer not applying to Battle Sorcerer, or the other way around.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

The combination is - more or less - legal, but it's suboptimal. You lose so many spells you may as well play a Bard - they get more spells known and the same number of spells per day. And more gishy stuff, with correct usage of Inspire Courage.

Seriously, if you intend to go Abjurant Champion, the only part of your chassis that will be continued is the spellcasting. And it's the part you're purposedly nerfing to bump up your hp, which won't be relevant after ~4ish level.

Why don't you take a look at the standard Sorcadin or other iconic gish builds? They'll probably serve you better.

And yes, losing 2 spellcaster levels hurts you in fact less than going Stalwart Battle Sorc.
    Last edited by Xerlith; 2014-11-20 at 06:41 AM.
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    This is the Playground. We're a repository of D&D Knowledge. Kinda like the Library of Congress, but with more screaming about RAW vs. RAI.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you want to go Stalwart Battle Sorcerer, you should not PrC out much, since the advantages do not carry over. The one exception is a Sand Shaper dip. It'll give you over 40 extra spells known, including buffs at a lower level, summons, direct damage etc. Its one level of d4 HD and no BaB, but after that you can use the SS spells as oyur base and just use the occasional Sorcerer spell known to fill in the gaps.

Incidentally, for people doing 3.P, would a Stalwart/Battle Sorc be entitled to a blood line and Sorcerer favoured class bonuses?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
    Incidentally, for people doing 3.P, would a Stalwart/Battle Sorc be entitled to a blood line and Sorcerer favoured class bonuses?
    Houserule territory. Check with your nearby DM for answer.
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    This is the Playground. We're a repository of D&D Knowledge. Kinda like the Library of Congress, but with more screaming about RAW vs. RAI.