New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Clarification on what Vigilante Modding is and isn't

So, the forum rules define vigilante modding like so;
    Vigilante Modding
    If you're not a Moderator, don't act like one. Rich has selected a few people he trusts to keep an eye on conversations here. Please refrain from chastising other posters over breaking the rules, especially concerning minor things. The proper response when you see someone breaking these rules is to report the post as discussed above or to a PM to the local Moderator. At most, you may courteously link to this announcement. But whatever you do, do not tell other posters what to do, what rules they have broken, that they are spamming, etc. Posters who do so will be issued an Infraction for their actions.
    Now, most of this is pretty clear. Don't take it upon yourself to enforce the rules, just report things. But, I do have a question about mediating conflicts. If a couple of players in a play by post game are starting to veer towards what could end up as a flame war, is it acceptable for me to politely ask everyone to table the argument and try to calm down? Saying it now, it feels kind of inelegant and presumptuous of me, but I think the actual post I made was better worded and more in the spirit of cooperation. I did report the situation in question, but in case nothing comes of it I thought I'd ask for clarification about such situations.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

2. - Top - End - #2
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Clarification on what Vigilante Modding is and isn't

Sheriff: I advise against trying to mediate or other people. It's not just a matter of leaving the Forum Rules enforcement to the moderators but also because attempts tell fellow posters behavior what to post or not post seems to have a negative effect most of the time. The Vigilante Modding rule tries to encompass telling other posters what to do, post, not do or post, etc. for whatever reason. Across the board, I'd recommend just reporting the issue and going on about your rule-abiding posting.

That said, in a PbP contest, where there is a fixed list of participants and everyone's signed on to this joint endeavor, there's maybe a little more leeway for suggesting posters focus on the game, particularly for the DM, who by definition has to do some telling others what to do. A little leeway maybe. We take each instance in context, but if you have any questions, I'd recommend reporting and avoiding engaging.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex