New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: OOTS #968 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    I really enjoy watching Durkula maneuver and scheme right under Roy's nose. It's a combination of Durkula's charisma (+4 from the vampire template), bluff score (which must have more ranks than Durkon), and a bonus because Roy wants to believe him.

That been said, I don't understand the punchline in the last panel. What are all of the gnome colors so drab? There were some gnomes wearing bright colors when they arrived, so what am I missing?
    Historically, Elan has gone "Dun dun DUN!" whenever something dramatic is happening, even when he doesn't know whats going on. In this case, he is NOT doing so during a dramatic moment, instead commenting on the colors of the bags.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

I really enjoy watching Durkula maneuver and scheme right under Roy's nose. It's a combination of Durkula's charisma (+4 from the vampire template), bluff score (which must have more ranks than Durkon), and a bonus because Roy wants to believe him.

That been said, I don't understand the punchline in the last panel. What are all of the gnome colors so drab? There were some gnomes wearing bright colors when they arrived, so what am I missing?
    At first it seems that Elan is making ominous music following Durkula ominous statement, but in fact he is complaining because all the Holding Bags are dun-colored and he doesn't like them.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

To simplify what Keltest and Clistenes said, it's solely for the sake of a joke.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #244
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thanks for the explanation (but a bit embarrassed I needed it). I didn't realize "DUN" was a color!

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oneris View Post
    It's funny how Vaarsuvius should logically be the party member with the highest number of skillpoints, but didn't bother to max out hir 4 main knowledges. Where did all those points go?
    She likely considered studying religion a pointless endeavor as clearly Durkon a man of faith would be invested in such things.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vukodlak View Post
    She likely considered studying religion a pointless endeavor as clearly Durkon a man of faith would be invested in such things.
    I wouldn't say that it's "likely" that he considers studying religion to be a pointless endeavor so much as she has explicitly stated that he does
    A game is a fictional construct created for the sake of the players, not the other way around. If you have a question "How do I keep X from happening at my table," and you feel that the out-of-game answer "Talk the the other people at your table" won't help, then the in-game answers "Remove mechanics A, B, and/or C, impose mechanics L, M, and/or N" will not help either.

Tragak's Planar Reconstruction Archive (current active project: Acheron)

Avatar Credit goes to: Chd. Thank you!

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

Has Elan done the "dun dun DUN" gag other than the chimera and this strip? I swear I remember him doing it another time.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Has Elan done the "dun dun DUN" gag other than the chimera and this strip? I swear I remember him doing it another time.
    Last panel of 591.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Last panel of 591.
    For whatever, I find the statement "Maybe you're squeezing him too hard" in that frame to be quite humorous.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

I knew it was a more common gag than 950 something strips ago

EDIT: Hey, I was really close! 947 strips ago. That was an amazingly good guess.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2014-11-24 at 06:25 PM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Last edited by Porthos; 2014-11-24 at 06:38 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

12. - Top - End - #252

BardGuy

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    Well, that explains a lot. Of course he thinks bards are underpowered, if he ignores their important class features.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks for the explanation (but a bit embarrassed I needed it). I didn't realize "DUN" was a color!
    I think most people reading the comic didn't either. I've actually learned a lot of random useless information from this comic, mainly from having to look up some of V's longer words.

15. - Top - End - #255

I think most people reading the comic didn't either
    Which is odd, because it's a fairly common color for a horse.

16. - Top - End - #256

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    It's also a D&D term—the dun pudding dates back to the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, and then the original MM2.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jere7my View Post
    It's also a D&D term—the dun pudding dates back to the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, and then the original MM2.
    Also, if you're a LOTR fan there is "Dunland".

Peelee’s Lotsey

18. - Top - End - #258

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    For whatever, I find the statement "Maybe you're squeezing him too hard" in that frame to be quite humorous.
    Elan's a squeaky toy!

19. - Top - End - #259

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ORione View Post
    Elan's a squeaky toy!
    I'm sure that Haley agrees.

Well, the HPOH got his bonus points for trying. I guess we will move on from here. I am still a bit curious as to what Belkar was looking for in the city.
    FTDWIR

20. - Top - End - #260
    Halfling in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Kareasint View Post
    I'm sure that Haley agrees.

Well, the HPOH got his bonus points for trying. I guess we will move on from here. I am still a bit curious as to what Belkar was looking for in the city.
    Well, considering all, he probably has much to prepare for. Maybe he's searching for some way to counter Domination attempts. Maybe he replenishes his stash of wooden sticks and holy water. Ha maybe even went to the darker alleys of Tinkertown to search allies in taking HPoH down! Or maybe...

Nah, who am I kidding. He probably went straight to brothel

21. - Top - End - #261

I would've said he was looking for a way to restore Bloodfeast, but yeah, a brothel is statistically speaking a lock.

22. - Top - End - #262

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Ha!

Elan makes SUCH great use of the last pannel!

Belkar too, if I have to be honest.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post15476516

I know I'm stealing this from someone else. But it's SO FUNNY

Zweisteine quoting Razanir:

"I am a human sixtyfourthling! Fear my minimal halfling ancestry!"

Bagnold could be one sixty-fourth halfling.

23. - Top - End - #263

DruidGirl

A small detail I noticed:

The cleric who knew HPoH's true nature was not the highest ranking cleric in the group (if we make the assumption that the highest ranking cleric is the one with the fancy and most "pope-like" hat and vestments).

That would suggest the possibility that the specific knowledge regarding how vampirism works isn't one that clerics would be likely to get via the normal progression channels of leveling up and rising in the ranks of their own churches, and earning new ranks in Knowledge:Religion via the story-mechanism of getting access to the "secret" lore of the faith that higher level clerics are allowed to know. It is rather something specific to that lower-ranking cleric, possibly private or individual.

ie, it isn't just 1 in 4, its even rarer than that. It requires some specific (unrevealed) backstory reason for any particular character to know.

24. - Top - End - #264

Quote Originally Posted by Amphiox View Post
    ie, it isn't just 1 in 4, its even rarer than that. It requires some specific (unrevealed) backstory reason for any particular character to know.
    Or it just mean that the highest-ranking cleric will not necessarily be the one with the highest knowledge (religion) score. As has been pointed out already, cleric tends to put points in other skills, like spellcraft. The one who knew has probably higher intelligence and thus more skill points to allow, plus as the Giant suggested the skill focus feat.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

25. - Top - End - #265

Oddly enough, the color scheme for this website includes a lot of bland brown, not really beige, more like taupe; some might call it drab.

Almost as if The Giant were hinting at us "Taupe-taupe-TAUPE!"

26. - Top - End - #266
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Now I think of it, "Dun dun dun" clearly confirms that Durkula has some significant plans from visiting the shrines. Not that we couldn't have told that from the Durkula-Roy thread.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Runeclaw View Post
    Turning doesn't stop a vampire, it just drives it away. They weren't trying to smite it. If anything, they were trying to protect themselves from the perceived threat, at the expense of whoever else the vampire might encounter next had they successfully turned it. Unless you're significantly higher-level than the threat, or can trap it in a corner or dead-end, turning is actually a horrible tactic to employ against a foe you intend to destroy.
    Turn Undead is also the anti-undead spell that most people are familiar with, so that is why it was put in, I suppose. Either way, "stopping" a vampire and "destroying" it are two different things. No matter which they were trying to do, they were attempting to fight Durkula. And failing at it.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Runeclaw View Post
    There's nothing in the actual comic to suggest that the cleric's tone changed or that he was audibly interrupted. That's all your interpretation. There's no change from capitals to lower-case letters or anything else to visually make it clear. And a hyphen in interrupted suggests something different that an ellipsis (...) - it means it didn't trail off, the text was just continued from one panel to the next.
    Look at his expression and how it changes. That suggests a change in tone.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nonamearisto View Post
    Look at his expression and how it changes. That suggests a change in tone.
    It suggests a change in expression. If you want to read a change in tone as well, that is your prerogative, however there is nothing that explicitly suggests a change in tone.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

It seems The Giant is using an alternate version of domination. Without verbal instructions in a language understood by the dominated creature, only basic instructions will be understood. By no means does it confer telepathy or the ability to issue complex instructions, (such as would be necessary to command the cleric to alter his statement as he did,) without some visible or audible command. However, house rules may allow it, and the DM has final say on this.

This strip confirms my thesis that HPoH is scouting for 'recruits' and 'converts' to Hel's faith. He is using Roy as a shield to find the highest level cleric in town to begin a cascade of conversions. Vamp the top clerics who then vamp the next highest, and so on. Within days Hel has 1000% more clerics than ever before. Meanwhile, Durkula moves on, perhaps with an acolyte or two to 'keep an eye on that evil vampire.'