Thread: Paranatural

1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Paranatural

New comic
    Ah yes, so he can speak normal.
    And see for her. That explains that.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2016-10-04 at 08:39 AM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

We've seen Venus "see" for her before - back when she shot the Ghost Train.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    We've seen Venus "see" for her before - back when she shot the Ghost Train.
    Ah, yes, so she could find out what she shot with the love arrow. Then a couple of pages later, she had her tool knocked away from her, so she couldn't use it to see what happened to Spencer.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Poor Penny. Working as a waitress means you meet all the nutjobs.
    That expression is priceless.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Poor Penny. Working as a waitress means you meet all the nutjobs.
    That expression is priceless.
    I think just being in Moperville means that.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Pixie in the Playground

The glacial pace of Paranatural means that even small wrinkles in the plot can take weeks to address. It's easy to lose track of what to even anticipate. Let's remind each other of some of the things we have to look forward to.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Robert D. Trayl View Post
    The glacial pace of Paranatural means that even small wrinkles in the plot can take weeks to address. It's easy to lose track of what to even anticipate. Let's remind each other of some of the things we have to look forward to.
    Mostly what the main crew is up to. Ed being kidnapped by Johnny, Isabel investigating the teacher, Isaac's spirit is sensing something amiss, and Max being told to meet an unknown person in the student shop is a big one. Similarly, the mysterious hand that was behind the tree as they were entering the school shortly before Hijack took over Jeff wasn't addressed, nor was the voice that told Max to duck to dodge Hijack's throw during Hitball, and for that matter whoever put the Doctopus on Max. Max seemed to recognize the voice, I think? I expect it's PJ trying to be a better friend and ally, though it's been left for quite a while.

There's also the whole "Dmitri is obviously a Spectral but not letting Max in on it" thing.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

New comic: Max speaks for the readers.

At the bottom of the page, there's a helpful link to the last time we've seen Max 30 pages earlier.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-10-24 at 10:09 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, this school is nothing but a hilarious stack of plots and secrets everywhere isn't it?
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic.

Wouldn't knowing everything be omniscience, not omnipotence?
    Not that those clowns would care...
    And the line is great either way.

But I wonder how Ed will deal with this.
    Blatant lies or forced recruitment into the activity club?

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

But I wonder how Ed will deal with this.
    Blatant lies or forced recruitment into the activity club?
    It's Ed, so who knows what he'll do? Knowing him, he might try to tell the truth, but do it in such a weird way they'll just be confused or not believe him anyway.

An ironic thing is that Johnny has been possessed by Forge and is starting to see shades, so he really belongs in the activity club. I wonder if he will start to be able to see the train in the picture, like Ed does. (Ed might even think that Johnny sees the train now, since it's floating in the air. Ed might think Johnny saw him through a window. )

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

I'm having a hard time discerning whether Ed's palm thrust actually knocked Johnny down or if Johnny's just overreacting to it on purpose due to Not Feeling It right now.

I mean, Ed has actual training doesn't he? Isabel's father appears to teach actual martial arts as well as Spectral martial arts, so

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic

Right. I forgot that Ed’s spirit was kinda a jerk.
    And I guess the slowed time thing* Spectrals can do might have been helpful for that display.

*And the training of course. Not to mention that he doesn't look like he has any training.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Not to mention that he doesn't look like he has any training.
    his Memory Bubble doesn't look like he's had any training either.

did Student Council just drop in last panel?
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Agi Hammerthief View Post
    his Memory Bubble doesn't look like he's had any training either.

did Student Council just drop in last panel?
    I thought he got thrown through the door.

Anyways, I love when Max gets to go into full sass mode. It's awesome. (Also sort of his standard state of existence. I like Max. )
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Max is kind of a ****.

I mean, an entertaining ****, but still a ****.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Anyways, I love when Max gets to go into full sass mode. It's awesome. (Also sort of his standard state of existence. I like Max. )
    The repartee in this comic is on another level, to be sure.

Max is kind of a ****.

I mean, an entertaining ****, but still a ****.

Considering how his day has been going and the number of people using him as a pawn, catspaw or otherwise unwilling accessory to their schemes? I think he is absolutely justified in being a humongous jerkasaurus to pretty much anyone involved in said schemes.
    Truth resists simplicity.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    Considering how his day has been going and the number of people using him as a pawn, catspaw or otherwise unwilling accessory to their schemes? I think he is absolutely justified in being a humongous jerkasaurus to pretty much anyone involved in said schemes.
    No, Max would still be a jerk even if they hadn't done anything. If you look back, in his first interaction with anyone outside his family, Max accidentally smashed in Johnny's face, then was a jerk about it. (Fortunately, a doctopi treated Johnny, but no one knew about that.) To be honest, I wouldn't have blamed Johnny or his gang for retaliating against Max. It was just that hey were so weird about it. Also, I don't think Isaac deserved the grief the Max tended to give him. IIRC, the only thing Isaac asked from Max was for Max to ask Spender some questions, which certainly wasn't an unreasonable thing to ask.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-12-03 at 09:09 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    No, Max would still be a jerk even if they hadn't done anything. If you look back, in his first interaction with anyone outside his family, Max accidentally smashed in Johnny's face, then was a jerk about it. (Fortunately, a doctopi treated Johnny, but no one knew about that.) To be honest, I wouldn't have blamed Johnny or his gang for retaliating against Max. It was just that hey were so weird about it. Also, I don't think Isaac deserved the grief the Max tended to give him. IIRC, the only thing Isaac asked from Max was for Max to ask Spender some questions, which certainly wasn't an unreasonable thing to ask.
    He's a young boy on the edge of puberty, recently displaced and moved away from all his friends in a different city following the trauma of his mother's death. Even without the superparanatural phenomena giving him twice as much to worry about, it doesn't make him a jerk if he lashes out and has difficulty adjusting to a new school and a new life. It just means he needs a little guidance, which he's not getting from his zany father (who's also dealing in a different way with a lot of grief) or Mr. Spender using him as a child soldier to fight a war he's being kept in the dark about. He's not a perfect person, but I forgive his moodiness. And he's perfectly friendly to people like Jeff, Cody, and Violet who have done him no wrong.

The case with Isaac is a bit iffy, and is very much in the vein of potentially toxic friendships in middle school. Max was dismissive of Isaac's melodrama because who wouldn't be, but also I think he was already feeling annoyed about being left in the dark about the ins and outs of paranatural behavior. That's why he was actually sympathetic to Isaac wanting to get info from Spender, and you'll recall Max did try to pry Spender open (which Spender saw through) and reported back everything he could to Isaac. Probably the big hiccup in Max and Isaac's relationship is when Boss Leader revealed that Isaac was purposely being kept in the dark by the Activity Consortium, which gave Max doubts. Max had forged a closer bond with Isabel due to their shared battle, and so felt comfortable asking her about Isaac and the club, and got a fair but salty explanation of Isaac's friction. Isaac reacted harshly to the idea that Max was also keeping secrets from him, which I think is fair of Isaac to do, but when he tried to push Max into revealing things because Max "owed" him, Max took offense to the idea that that's how a friendship works. Again, very reasonable in that situation, Isaac is definitely the one at fault. I don't blame Isaac entirely because it sounds like there are external forces working hard to keep him down and we still don't know why, but it doesn't make Isaac very approachable.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not saying Max is a bad person. I'm just saying he's a ****.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I'm not saying Max is a bad person. I'm just saying he's a ****.
    Yeah, I don't think this is a comic where you want to get caught up too much in issues of morality. Everything is cranked up past 11.

22. - Top - End - #112

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    Yeah, I don't think this is a comic where you want to get caught up too much in issues of morality. Everything is cranked up past 11.
    Are you kidding? Half the comic is about morality. Doorman instructing Isaac on temperance while Isaac's spirit (King C?) advocates justice through strength. Spender operating on an ends-justify-the-means mentality while Forge decries exactly that, and both Lucifer and Francisco Guerra warn him against acting immorally for moral reasons. Eightfold's parting speech to Isabel about treating others as people versus things and unlearning prejudice. Max chewing out Hijack for fighting Jeff's battle against his bullies and using it as a cover to be a sadistic bully himself. Heck, even Racist Whale Frog's rant about spirits being imprisoned and used to combat others of their own kind for the sake of humanity. This comic is dripping with conversations about morality, regardless of how zany it gets.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, Max being a bit of a jerk isn't all that bad of a thing. I mean, his first encounter with Johnny went so poorly because he was seeing a spirit and accidentally insulted him as a result. Besides that, his snark has mostly been sarcastic comments and the occasional insult. But being a jerk doesn't mean being a bad person, Max has plenty of other qualities showing that when the chips are down he aims to do the right thing, from cheering up Peewee, to protecting Isabel, to taking the hit in dodgeball for Johnny, to trying to teach Johnny to be a better person, and even simply reassuring Boss-Leader that he's not in danger when he very clearly is.

But yes, he is a bit of a jerk. He has no qualms about needling anyone or anything that he considers an enemy, or annoyance. Or person in his immediate vicinity. Though it's generally light-hearted. I don't think he's said anything particularly vicious yet.

Also he's a 12 year old child. It'd be weird for him to be a perfect paragon of virtue.
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2016-12-05 at 06:32 AM.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nettlekid View Post
    Are you kidding? Half the comic is about morality. Doorman instructing Isaac on temperance while Isaac's spirit (King C?) advocates justice through strength. Spender operating on an ends-justify-the-means mentality while Forge decries exactly that, and both Lucifer and Francisco Guerra warn him against acting immorally for moral reasons. Eightfold's parting speech to Isabel about treating others as people versus things and unlearning prejudice. Max chewing out Hijack for fighting Jeff's battle against his bullies and using it as a cover to be a sadistic bully himself. Heck, even Racist Whale Frog's rant about spirits being imprisoned and used to combat others of their own kind for the sake of humanity. This comic is dripping with conversations about morality, regardless of how zany it gets.
    Yeah, but that's right there in your face. I meant that you don't want to worry about subtle stuff. Also, there is a distinction between a writer having characters behaving in certain ways because of their views of morality and a writer trying to encourage readers to examine moral issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Eh, Max being a bit of a jerk isn't all that bad of a thing. I mean, his first encounter with Johnny went so poorly because he was seeing a spirit and accidentally insulted him as a result. Besides that, his snark has mostly been sarcastic comments and the occasional insult. But being a jerk doesn't mean being a bad person, Max has plenty of other qualities showing that when the chips are down he aims to do the right thing, from cheering up Peewee, to protecting Isabel, to taking the hit in dodgeball for Johnny, to trying to teach Johnny to be a better person, and even simply reassuring Boss-Leader that he's not in danger when he very clearly is.

But yes, he is a bit of a jerk. He has no qualms about needling anyone or anything that he considers an enemy, or annoyance. Or person in his immediate vicinity. Though it's generally light-hearted. I don't think he's said anything particularly vicious yet.

Also he's a 12 year old child. It'd be weird for him to be a perfect paragon of virtue.
    I agree with your point, although I'd say that Max was acting like a bit of a jerk with Johnny's gang and was enjoying making them angry in addition to freaking out over the doctopi on Johnny's head. But yeah, I don't think Max is a bad kid at all. He definitely has morals and acts upon them.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-12-05 at 09:23 AM.

25. - Top - End - #115

MindFlayer

New comic's up.

Spoiler
    Show
    So who do we think the student council's secret president is? Considering there's definitely more to the character than we've been exposed to, I'm inclined to think Dmitri? It would make sense then that he's part of the Journalism club to keep an eye on Suzy and her rumors, yet isn't at all interested in the scoops she's picking up and wasn't involved in trying to blackmail Max. Especially if his greater goal is to keep the activities of the Activity Club secret, it would make sense for him to play all sides. Then again, his disdain for the Student Council's plan during Hitball wouldn't make sense with that in mind.

Then again it could just be someone kind of off the wall, like RJ. No one knows their face, so they could be living a double life that way.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nettlekid View Post
    New comic's up.

Spoiler
    Show
    So who do we think the student council's secret president is? Considering there's definitely more to the character than we've been exposed to, I'm inclined to think Dmitri? It would make sense then that he's part of the Journalism club to keep an eye on Suzy and her rumors, yet isn't at all interested in the scoops she's picking up and wasn't involved in trying to blackmail Max. Especially if his greater goal is to keep the activities of the Activity Club secret, it would make sense for him to play all sides. Then again, his disdain for the Student Council's plan during Hitball wouldn't make sense with that in mind.

Then again it could just be someone kind of off the wall, like RJ. No one knows their face, so they could be living a double life that way.
    I think Ollie believes too much in the Friendship Fusion gang to keep the student council out if RJ was the student council president. My guess is that it's the Vice Principal. Ignoring the vote and appointing herself sounds like the sort of sneaky thing she would do. It would certainly explain why the identity is a secret. I wonder if the other student council members meet with her face-to-face or if she hides her identity even from them.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-12-09 at 09:20 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

I think it's whoever Hijack is trying to target. For some reason.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Oh my god. The way Max is petting that Doctopus is downright adorable.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Robert D. Trayl View Post
    That gets me wondering, how many in-world days have actually passed since the start of the comic?

30. - Top - End - #120

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Elda View Post
    That gets me wondering, how many in-world days have actually passed since the start of the comic?
    I'm pretty sure it's been like almost a week maybe. Day zero is moving in, and night zero is first seeing PJ briefly and being nervous in his room. Day one is Max goes to school, starts seeing shades, meets everyone and gets his bat, etc etc. Night one is fighting Racist Whale Frog. Day two is Isaac's shortcut and getting to know paranatural stuff more. Night two is Spender visiting Boss Leader. Day three is meeting Eightfold and being briefed on the Ghost Train mission. Night three is the Ghost Train mission. Day four is currently Hitball and Hijack. It's possible that there was a skipped day or two in there, because day three went by really quickly and there may have been others unaccounted for, but it's definitely not a lot of time.