New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Riverside 16: Turn and face the strain

[Street]

"I don't suppose so, no," the gnoll says with a shrug. "You're free to go."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Eastside Hospital]

Abandoned hospitals are always creepy but the one in Eastside was known for being haunted and worse, that people that went there disappeared. But it was usually quiet except for the occasional haunt there as even animals seemed to avoid the place. But now things have changed, there are sounds of battle coming from the old hospital and what sounds like the shrieks of the dying.
    The sounds has attracted attention and so the rumors have spread of strange scenes playing out at the hospital ground. Walls simply collapsing by themselves, of objects being thrown around like leaves in the wind, of strange voices screaming obscenities at one another and horrific beings stalking around the hospital grounds at night, fighting invisible foes.

One might want to investigate before what happens there starts to happen elsewhere in Eastside.

[Light's Hearth - Evening]

"It's just a 'clinic' where they transform you into a dark one. Very dangerous but yet people are paying a lot of money for it." Daeva clarifies as she brushes past Sandy.
    "It's a plot." The other voice comments. "The old mayor wouldn't do anything about it so if you're really interested in changing things, you should go ahead and remove that corruption. Then we can talk."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Eastside Hospital

There appears to be plenty of monsters here, what's one more? A visitor arrives, sometime in the afternoon. He's a large humanoid creature, with a canine face and coat of gray-red fur with black lines here and there, dark red robes, and a long tail with a pointed spade at the end, plus a set of wings folded behind him. A pair of thick spectacles sit impossibly on his muzzle without anything holding them up, and he carries a large tome.
    He's pretty good at keeping quiet despite his eight-foot height, though that's likely do the distinct lack of anything metal and clinking on his person besides the glasses. For now, he's just trying to get a look at the place, to see if he can't spot or sense anything about the place.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

4. - Top - End - #34

Eastside Hospital

Before the visitor can even start looking around, he's assailed by two men clad in dark-blue clothes. They have the appearance as some sort of security officers but look nothing like the police and hunters here in Eastside. "I'm sorry sir, but this area is dangerous. You're prohibited to enter." He tells the visitor, holding out his open palm as a sign for him to stop. The other guard seems more weary about the hospital itself than the new visitor however, even now as he has to turn to the visitor he still glances back at it.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2014-11-29 at 05:14 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Sandy nods and says, "Alright. I'll do what I can. It seems like shutting this place down would be fairly popular, but I can't promise anything."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Eastside Hospital

Tep, for that's the name he goes by, looks down at the guards, trying his best to not to look condescending, which is a bit hard given how much he has to physically look down on them.
    "Really? Because the place was long since abandoned last I heard. You sure you don't need anyone to check it out? The neighbors have been getting concerned. And if I may, are you private security? You definitely aren't police or Hunters. Abandoned hospitals don't hire security guards." he says politely.

7. - Top - End - #37

"Hmph." Is the reply she gets.

Daeva ignore the other voice once again. "We should go, Azare. Would you mind leading her outside?"

"I suppose. It's the end of my shift anyway." The night elf starts leading Sandy downstairs, Daeva's armor can be heard quite clearly as they move down the staircase. After a bit they will be out of the citadel and Sandy will be able to see once again. Argos is still sitting upon the wall, looking down at her with a gleam in his bird eyes.

Eastside Hospital

"We're private." The man replies. "But it's really none of your concern. We're just trying to make the streets safer by not having random citizens wandering inside. This isn't some dungeon for adventurers you know, so take your investigations elsewhere."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Sandy nods to Azare as she's lead outside and says, "Thank you. Hey, I might need someone to come tell people about why they should shut down the shop. Would you be willing to come?"

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Eastside Hospital

Tep crosses his arms. Amusingly, his books hovers exactly in place when he lets go of it to do so.
    "Are you sure? Because from the people around here the place certainly seems thoroughly haunted, and people have been going missing. The risk of one more doing so versus the reward of him actually figuring something out? Probably worth it. And I'm not random. I'm quite qualified for this, thank you very much." he says.
    Okay, now he's getting a little condescending.

10. - Top - End - #40

Eastside Hospital

"I don't care if you are or not. We have our orders, no one is getting inside." The guard replies firmly, staring down Tep rather bravely for someone of his rank.

Sandy will now see that Daeva is a tall woman dressed from tip to toe in a golden renaissance-looking armor, complete with a visor covering her face. "They're probably closed right now." Daeva comments. "I and Azare could probably lead you there though, your apartment is in that direction right?"

"Yes, it's quite close to the "clinic" actually. I'd prefer to stay away that place personally though, it just evokes bad memories." She shakes her head.

"Don't worry, we will just pass it by." Then the three of them will start moving towards the clinic and eventually reach it unless Sandy has other plans.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Sandy shakes her head and says, "No, I mean when I talk in front of the Council to try to get them to shut down the shop. I'm not too concerned with chatting...I know what you guys want me to do now. Just...Having someone with firsthand experience with how awful these people are will make convincing everyone else to shut this place down makes things easier."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Eastside Hospital

Tep shrugs.
    "Well, you've convinced me. But just out of curiosity, orders from who?" he asks, and subtly sniffs the air for a moment. He had abruptly remembered that there was a chance these fellows weren't quite what they seemed.

13. - Top - End - #43

Eastside Hospital

"That's none of your business. Now leave." The guard orders. There isn't much of an odd smell about the guards, but there is about the place they're guarding. There is the smell of the demonic intermingled with the strong scent of fear. This isn't the smell of sweat and the sound of a beating heart however, this is something far more primordial, a supernatural fear anchored here that cannot be natural.

There are other more recent smells here too, but other than that they're magic he can't tell much about them.

"We... don't actually know any of those people." Daeva admits. "Azare knew someone who did however, but you would have to talk to her about it." She explains.

"I honestly don't want to discuss it. Least of all right now." She says.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Eastside Hospital

Tep shrugs again, shoves his hands into his pockets, and walks away.
    ...and obviously, waits until he's out of sight, turns into a raven, and flies over the place towards the roof. Silly mortal guards trying to keep a curious demon out. Chances are he could have turned into anything he wanted at this point, but the raven was an old favorite of his, and it suited this purpose well.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Sandy nods and says, "No, I don't mean right now. And if you don't want to come, that's fine. Just...I'll send a letter at some point. If you don't want to come and testify about how awful this place is, that's fine. But if you do, it would make it much easier to shut these people down for good."

16. - Top - End - #46

Azare sigh. "We'll see. How do I contact you?"

Daeva is quiet for once, her gaze fixed at Sandy.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Sandy nods and says, "Hopefully, I won't need your help and you can go on. But if I do, I'll send the temple a letter asking for you with details of where we should meet."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aric Kale View Post
    The Pack - Leaving Southside

Okami's head snaps to face the oncoming threat, the wolves instantly dashing to form a triangle around the Alpha and Child.
    He crouches, trying to figure out what kind of opponent they would be facing.

Trace stands to his left, Flitter to the right, with Spook taking the forward position...
    The air buzzes sporadically as the oncoming threat closes in, with the pressure of this person's aura now nearly tangible in short bursts. Just about a football field away now, the figure can be seen taking long, soaring steps toward the group. The person's hair and uniform a deep crimson lined with and cascading into a stark white. Behind the figure, held in his left hand is some sort of quarterstaff looking object. The onlookers might jump in surprise hearing a distant snap-hiss as a dark red blade crackles to life in his other hand. These, if the Alpha or any other members were familiar, are the tell-tale signs of a sith warrior.

The young looking man seems a bit off, even in his bold streak toward the enemy. A cackle can be heard as the acolyte sprints to them, and should arrive in the next ten seconds. Armed, ready, thirsty.

"HAHAHAHAHAHA!"

19. - Top - End - #49
    Halfling in the Playground

Leaving Southside - The Pack

Once, a long time ago, Okami had actually met Trucido and seen his weapon.
    He brings this memory to the forefront of his mind and widens his eyes...this would be dangerous.

He sets Atsuko down on Spook and barks a command.
    The shewolf would run ahead with the little girl, and the remaining three wolves would deal with this oncoming threat.

At this point, Okami's claws are unsheathed, and the hair on the back of his neck is tense, likewise with his canine companions.

The Kei-Jin crouches low, preparing to pounce.
    Hold fast, friends...we outnumber our opponent, just stay away from his weapons!
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Zane and Aric by Recaiden. Aric Kat by Hatter.

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: FFRP Newbie Links
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by firedaemon33 View Post

Sandy nods and says, "Hopefully, I won't need your help and you can go on. But if I do, I'll send the temple a letter asking for you with details of where we should meet."

"A letter?" Azare asks with some hesitation. "Alright then, if you prefer it that way." She nods politely at Sandy.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Sandy nods and says, "Alright. Farewell, then, unless there's something else you want."

22. - Top - End - #52

"No, not that I can think of. Farewell then." And so Azare and Daeva leaves, Sandy can see them discussing something as the servant follows Azare all the way home to her apartment.

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Street]

"I don't suppose so, no," the gnoll says with a shrug. "You're free to go."
    "Well then, officers, I bid you a good night," Sticks says with a deep bow before setting off down the street. There was work to be done. Flowers to be sent to the young ladies who had been injured on his watch tonight. And last, but not least, there was a drawing he needed to show the thing currently imprisoned beneath his shop...

[Eastside Hospital]

It's here, most likely a day or two later, the tall man appears again. He'd heard the old rumors before this noisier nonsense began - that the place was haunted. Of course, given his state of relative retirement, he'd had no intention of going meddling with angry spirits. Circumstances have forced his intentions to change. With his shop under repair and a great deal of questions on his mind, it's here Sticks goes for answers.

He isn't yet sure what to think of the newest stories petering out from the nameless ruin. Either of the supposed threats - the monsters or the invisible foes - could be Fetches. Or they could be merely rumor - the only thing waiting for him dust and shadow. In either case, he is fearful.

But when isn't Sticks fearful?

The old magician - for today he is one of the Magi, not a simple toymaker - approaches the entrance to the hospital dressed as subtly as possible. Ragged working clothes beneath a colorfully ruddy patchwork cloak, he appears as nothing more than a beggar, or perhaps a particularly shady street merchant. Such a ne'er-do-well has no right to the powerful, perceptive eyes that dance and spark beneath the hood of the cloak.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Eastside Hospital

Tep stops as he passes the hooded man, sensing something odd from him in the physical and magical sense. He turns his head as he walks by.
    "You certainly don't look lost. Come to take a look at the haunt? They're not letting anyone in, though I doubt they'll stop anyone determined." he says, a friendly smile on his face that probably belies what people would expect from a demon.

25. - Top - End - #55

[Eastside Hospital]

Tep most certainly earns a glance from Sticks as they pass one another. A creature so different from humanity was more likely to be seen Inside - here, in Eastside particularly, the folk were a fair stripe less bizarre to look at. For the most part. The tall man guessed it was because Inside phased more often, trading parts of it's city for others, opening portals to the sort of realm that might spit out, say, an eight foot tall canid fiend.

Seeing his game up, at least as far as this fellow went, Sticks stops and inclines his head respectfully. Not meeting Tep's gaze. "...They'll not stop me. What of you, sir?" The tall man - though tall he's not, in Tep's company - turns his gaze very slightly and holds his hand out toward the gates. He spreads his leather-clad fingers invitingly, palm-up. "I'm sure you can follow after, provided we don't go treading on one another's toes." You stay out of my way, I stay out of yours, though put far more mildly with Sticks lilting voice and mild tongue. "I've business of some import inside, and I'm sure you must also."

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Eastside Hospital

Tep nods. A very reasonable thing to say.
    "Sure, let's go with that. Indeed, I was just going to make myself a bit more subtle and fly over past the guards. I could probably help you do the same. Did you have a better way?"
    Tep has no problem with the notion of teaming up with a Mage, unless he gets any ideas about binding him or something. If he's helpful, why turn down help?

27. - Top - End - #57

[Eastside Hospital]

"A magician will always tell you his way is better," Sticks says modestly, glancing away toward the gates. The creature seems friendly, and while a little strange, his manners erase any sort've prejudice Sticks might have toward monstrous folk. He thinks for a brief second. "...Do not expend your energies on shapeshifting. I will make our way. However, I'd advise you not to look at my hands during this exchange..."

"Gentlemen!" Sticks says loudly, a slight quaver in his voice, spreading his hands amiably as he walks toward the door guards. They and Tep may notice what looks like several small jewels or fragments of colored glass stuck to his left glove. In fact, the guards may well be unable to look away. They're strung together like a necklace; dark, rich colors, blacks, reds, and purples.

His fingers shift and these change, forming a sign, the delicate gesture a combination of a talented con's hypnotism and true illusory magic. The 'necklace' is stretched taut around his gloved digits, stones glinting enticingly, the item moving around his hand as though it had a life and a mind of it's own. It slides and jingles, glistens bright, starlight gleaming deep inside the gemstones and refracting off their sharp edges. "If you would but look here a moment..."

"I am the sky, and the dark below," Sticks whispers to them, nonsense words. "I am the fire, and the devil you know." Perhaps it's part of the glamour. Perhaps rhyming helps to mesmerize his targets. Or perhaps he's just a bit mad. "Sleep now, my friends..."

And if Sticks' attempt is successful, the two guards will find themselves mesmerized, snapped into a standing dreamlike state. Their heads and eyes full of purple-black lights gleaming in the shadowy abyss, drawing them down, drawing them inward. To forget. For now.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

28. - Top - End - #58

[Eastside Hospital]

As Sticks call their attention the two guards looks between him and Tep one of them raising their arm to stop them when he suddenly stops, mesmerized by Sticks gemstones. His companion seemingly trying to resist for a moment by attempting to look away before he also is pulled into the hypnotic trance.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Eastside Hospital

Tep chuckles a bit at the mage's display.
    "Certainly impressive, sir. Though I expect that between the two of us, few would figure that I'd have been the one to suggest the plan of simply avoiding them." he says humorously.

30. - Top - End - #60

[Eastside Hospital]

"Ah," Sticks says, laughing with a hint of nerves. "It's perfect, then. When we're caught, I'll say it was your idea." The tall man turns to his mental captives. He does a little flourish and holds out his hand toward the two guards. "Sleep. Sleep for ten minutes, no more. Then resume your posts. You will not remember we were here."

And with his voice echoing in their heads like commandments from God, Sticks steps between the guards to enter the hospital. He'll appraise the ruined place of healing before proceeding.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters