New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Riverside 16: Turn and face the strain

Somewhere - Most likely a cell?

Tarim smiles at her attitude. "Let's begin with something simple then. What is your name?" Which is ironically the hardest question he could ask.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Somewhere

Certain snorts and then says, "I don't have one. I deleted my name a long, long time ago. I don't even remember it anymore." Of course, this is a lie, but it's a hard to disprove one without any mind-reading magic...Which certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

Lotus Gardens

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbane View Post
    "My thanks, Quinn. I'll take up the invitation if I can." She promises before looking over at Garn, ignoring any discussion of her homeworld at the moment. "My teleportation was limited and I didn't wish the two to get hurt." She tells him before shrugging. "I'll try not to separate you from your Mistress like that again." Jezebel swears. She doesn't put much faith into the promise, but she'll try to keep it. It's just that she doubts Garn could dislike her any more than he already does.
    Quinn smiled to Jezebel with a nod. "And I'll make sure to make time for your celebration here," she adds as a promise, before looking to Cessie, eyeing Garn with curiosity as she waits for the gargoyle to stop being distracting to his mistress.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

4. - Top - End - #154
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    The Third Circle

Tep examines the scrolls to make sure they're all legitimate.
    "I'm familiar with this spell. It's rather powerful. I can pay you [reasonably large sum] for the whole lot of 'em. Magic isn't what people come in here for, but they'll be useful sometime." he offers.
    Killick blinks in surprise

Really?! Wow... thanks!

He takes three books, bound in black and Tep will feel a decent level of evil coming from them. Killick frowns

I don't know why these were in the library at all - from what we know, these were illegal even back then. They're defiler spellbooks, and this one...

He takes a fourth book, which is bound in a very disturbing looking pale leather and radiates corruption

... this one has the first stage Dragon Transformation ritual.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

The Third Circle

Tep nods.
    "Likely go to my more personal collection; I don't want to get a reputation for selling these. The ritual that you were involved in? I can take them off your hands for a bit, but since I can't in good conscience resell them it won't be much. That all right with you?" he asks.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

6. - Top - End - #156
    Pixie in the Playground

[The Third Circle]

Killick shakes his head

It's fine. Out of general circulation is probably best anyway. And nah, that jerk was going for his fifth stage. I dunno where his spellbook is, and if I did I'd probably just burn it. But speaking of that...

Two books, with an aura that feels very much like Killick himself

Preserver spellbooks! This one has the first three stages for becoming an Avangion, and this other one has the first five! I'm sixth stage.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2014-12-13 at 08:25 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

The Third Circle

Tep hmms.
    "Slow and subtle process, I guess. To be honest, these things could be abused, too, so the same goes for them." he says simply.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Halfling in the Playground

[Eastside Hospital]

Sticks, seeing no tactical value in entering through a wall or a window, gestures toward the shattered glass of the most modern doorway. He's a heavily civilized creature, too - entering through anywhere but a door seems ridiculous. He maintains a respectful silence at Tep's suggestion - his reasoning was sound, and he appreciated a professional at his back in this circumstance.

From the depths of his cloak, the tall man extracts a two-pronged spear of his own making. The weapon labors constantly to contain the wrath of the Archmage Rufus Belifont, who's firy spirit burns between the twin blades at it's tip. This he holds before him, piercing the darkness with ethereal light, and with his free hand he makes the sign of Urd, protector of magi. He whispers an incantation to seemingly no effect as his booted feet crunch over broken glass.

Into the dark again, lads, into the dark again. A line from a poem, or an adventurer's song... he couldn't remember... but it runs through his head as he goes searching, starting forward into the hospital to hunt evil at it's source.

[The Toy Tinker]

While he'll be able to tell how intricate the bird's guts are, he won't be able to tell just how it works. The tiny robin flutters up from Hex's hand and quirks it's head here or there. Sticks watches this stranger fool with his things quietly, the gaze of the long-suffering craftsman. This was no child dirtying his toys, however - no, something different and dangerous. Something that filled him with butterflies and a nameless dread.

It is Wild Magic. Why, Sticks can see it in the way his robin begins to move. His toys could imitate life, but none so closely as that. There is always something off. Always. But at this man's touch...

"Jim?" Sticks asks, shifting uncomfortably and eyeing the man looming over his countertop. "Jim, he... you. You did that." The same magic. The same breath of madness, like that vile curse. The will of disorder. "You nearly turned him into a frog."
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

9. - Top - End - #159

Quote Originally Posted by The Bushranger View Post
    Lotus Gardens

"That...sounds sad," Quinn says softly, giving Jezzy a sympathetic look. She can't imagine what it would be like to live in a place where you couldn't go out in the rain, even if just to enjoy it. "I can see how it would be...something you would never want to miss."

She turns and looks away again, checking with Jamie through her telepathy, and relaxes, trying to remember where the apartment that had been arranged for her here was. "I suppose a more...reserved Thanksmas celebration will make up for the disruption by the Magette back there," she suggests, looking back to her impromptu host and Cessie. "Again, you're both invited to visit at GLoG if you'd like."
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdEmperor View Post
    [Trouble at the Museum]

Cybil gets her arms around the fallen Burglar easily enough, but as Cassidy vaults over the broken window to reach him, he starts to struggle. As she goes for his neck, he swipes at her with one hand - a kind of clumsy swing only meant to knock the syringe away. Much as the fall's left him in no right state of mind, that needle just screams bad on every level.

Of course, the thief is a little more than human. So the movement is a little more than a half-hearted protest. It's considerably quicker and stronger than a normal person could manage, especially under the circumstances.
    Lotus Gardens

Garn stares back at Quinn but makes no comment, the gargoyle simple nods at Jezebel and Cessie who finally can turn and accept the invitation properly. "I'm sure I can somehow make time for it Quinn, unless duty calls in VIGIl of course. You know how it is." She wasn't going to have that conversation here though. "But I might also spend my Christmas at the Frescots, or perhaps I'll invite them over to GloG as well."

"What is 'GloG'?" Garn suddenly asks as the term is mentioned once again. He seems unsure if he should ask Jezebel or Quinn however.

[Trouble at the Museum]

((It's Devixer's turn here, correct?))

Cell of no names

Tarim doesn't even seem surprised. "Then what are manner of unholy thing are you exactly? Not a very dangerous one I imagine considering how you prefer lone defenseless victims."

10. - Top - End - #160
    Pixie in the Playground

The Third Circle

Tep hmms.
    "Slow and subtle process, I guess. To be honest, these things could be abused, too, so the same goes for them." he says simply.
    Killick looks surprised by that, but doesn't argue

I... ok...

He looks gently thoughtful and gently sad, then takes the last book: it is exquisitely crafted: the binding is of thick gauge deep brown leather, hand tooled and inlaid with gold foil. The paper inside is of premium quality and free of the burning caused by cheap processes. It is illuminated with fantastic detail, and the clearly hand-done lettering is crisp and professional. It is a beautiful book, worth a small fortune just as a piece of art

And the Nexus auto-translate fails utterly on it.

I... can't read it. I can't find its history, and I can't find who made it. I don't even know where they got it... it avoids divination like it doesn't even really exist. I'm not so sure I want to sell it, but I would like to know what it is.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

The Third Circle

"Hm. I might sell the minor Preserver tome, actually. From what I understand the first few tiers aren't much. I'll give you a bit more for that one specifically. But this one, oh my. I'll work on it myself. Give me while, and I'm sure I'll have something for you."

Tep looks at the book and opens its cover. Tep, especially when wearing his glasses, can decode nearly any language with definable rules in seconds. It's simply how he works as the Lord of Knowledge. How could he do his job if mere language could stop him?

12. - Top - End - #162
    Pixie in the Playground

[The Third Circle]

It is a full and complete copy of "The Canterbury Tales", in Middle English, hand lettered and illuminated, bound in calf skin.

Killick waits eagerly for the result.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

The Third Circle

Tep hmms and closes the book, handing it back to Killick.
    "It's an original copy of The Canterbury Tales, it seems. It's an old story from Earth. Look up the name if you want to know what it says. It's an extremely valuable piece if I remember the name correctly. I'd love to have it, but it will look wonderful in your library, I'm sure. Just make sure you give it a nice spot." he says.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Pixie in the Playground

[The Third Circle]

Killick blinks in surprise

It's a story book? I mean... is it religious stories or something? Somebody went to a lot of work on this, and that seems... well...

He looks at the book again

That's what makes it special, isn't it? This is perhaps the greatest treasure we own, isn't it?

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

The Third Circle

"I'm afraid I don't know the plot. I've only heard the title in passing.
    Now, that's entirely subjective. The book which allowed you to achieve your current state will probably do more good for your people than this one ever will, but it's still an absolutely marvelous piece. So uh, take that as you will."
    says Tep, mentally snorting a bit as his sentimentalism. Which he completely understands, of course, but that doesn't not make it kind of funny.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Pixie in the Playground

[The Third Circle]

A sentimental fox? Say it isn't so!

Killick looks at it, then respectfully returns it to his bag.

Thank you.

Then he looks up

So... our most pressing need right now is for educational materials for our children. We don't intend to remain a near stone-age city, and we're making good progress... but the next step is to make sure our children lean what they need to! And... we don't really know how to do that.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

The Third Circle

Tep nods.
    "I don't think we have enough textbooks to supply a whole city, but we can probably work out a deal for you. Would you like to take a look at the ones we have?" he offers.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Pixie in the Playground

[The Third Circle]

Killick grins

It's not really all that big, and we can teach from just a few books - we just don't really have any at all.

nods

That would be great!
    Last edited by Fenric; 2014-12-14 at 12:00 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Eastside Hospital

Tep gives a curious look at the weapon, but doesn't comment. Now is definitely not the time. He walks patiently after the old mage, not caring about the glass despite his bare feet.
    "I can go in front if you'd like. I think I might be able to take a little bit more damage than you can." he says, more polite than mocking.

The Third Circle

Tep nods. "Exar! Textbooks!"
    The imp snaps to attention again.
    "Yessir! Right this way, sir."
    squeaks the imp, who'll lead the fox to the textbook section, which has a rather wide variety even though there aren't many in mint condition. Seems it was a popular spot for students to get a few silvers for their old books.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Deep View Post
    Bus to Inside

Mira thinks for a minute. "Well, there's a good bit of history to it, going back to WWII, but that would take forever to go over, so... short version: A millionaire in power armor, an angry green giant, a norse god (apparently), a national hero from WWII, and two other people fought off an alien invasion in New York. It was a huge mess, and on a larger scale it was a huge wake-up call that the world was REALLY weird. There had been some on-and-off alerts of that over the years, sure, but none of them drew as much attention as a fight that wrecked a good chunk of new york did."
    "Hah, yeah, that would sure wake everyone up. Nothing like that happened to New York where I'm from," Cassidy says. "Alright, this is from before my time, but pretty much everyone knows about this. Bout twenty years back, there's this group called the Universal Brotherhood, setting up shelters across the country, saying they'll give anyone a place to stay and "a second chance at life." People who went to UB never came back, and some people started looking into them. Turns out they're a bug spirit-worshiping cult who wants to use people as hosts for their queen. Most places got shut down before that happened, but the ones at Chicago managed to set up an entire hive. Long story short, military had to detonate a dirty bomb to wipe out the bugs before they spread to other cities. I hear UB's still trying to raise their bugs, but they're having a tough time now."

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdEmperor View Post
    [Trouble at the Museum]

Cybil gets her arms around the fallen Burglar easily enough, but as Cassidy vaults over the broken window to reach him, he starts to struggle. As she goes for his neck, he swipes at her with one hand - a kind of clumsy swing only meant to knock the syringe away. Much as the fall's left him in no right state of mind, that needle just screams bad on every level.

Of course, the thief is a little more than human. So the movement is a little more than a half-hearted protest. It's considerably quicker and stronger than a normal person could manage, especially under the circumstances.
    Cassidy may seem like a normal human, but she's actually a little more than that as well. Although the Burglar is able to knock away her needle, she immediately reaches back with her other arm to try and punch him right in the face. She uses a bit of her magic to make that punch stronger and faster than a punch has any right to be, so it'll be more able to stun him.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    Cell of no names

Tarim doesn't even seem surprised. "Then what are manner of unholy thing are you exactly? Not a very dangerous one I imagine considering how you prefer lone defenseless victims."
    Certain ignores the jab and says, "What do I look like? I'm demon. Also a mage. That's pretty much it."

22. - Top - End - #172
    Pixie in the Playground

[The Third Circle]

Killick is very impressed

Ooooooh! These are great!

His purple ioun stone begins to glow softly as he uses his divination to help him choose the books that would be the most useful for his friends. With that help, he swifltly selects a couple dozen books on a variety of subjects and difficulty levels.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bus to Inside

"Oof. New york was spared a nuking, but if rumors are to be believed only just barely. I'm not clear on what all happened (I don't think anyone is), but at some point all the alien soldiers just keeled over and died. There was this massive area that was cordoned off, but I saw some of it. In addition to the alien corpses everywhere, there were these huge... eel-like things the size of skyscrapers and heavily armored. It was pretty crazy, all said and done."
    She shakes her head. "One part of me wishes I was in town when it happened, but I'm really glad I wasn't."

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

The Third Circle

Exar removes the books from the shelf and begins bringing them to the counter. Though given his size, he has to do so one at a time. After the third, Tep sighs and levitates them all over.
    "I need to make demons that can carry these things." he mutters before ringing the books up. They're not that much, since many are old and there's no silly textbook business driving up prices to hundreds of dollars.

25. - Top - End - #175

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [Northside Hospital]

"Obriane? Come on, look at me. We're gonna stop that thing, okay? It's not gonna hurt anyone." Kitty wishes she could get up to comfort Obriane too. This is so terrible in every way.
    Quote Originally Posted by firedaemon33 View Post
    Certain ignores the jab and says, "What do I look like? I'm demon. Also a mage. That's pretty much it."
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Eastside Hospital]

Sticks, seeing no tactical value in entering through a wall or a window, gestures toward the shattered glass of the most modern doorway. He's a heavily civilized creature, too - entering through anywhere but a door seems ridiculous. He maintains a respectful silence at Tep's suggestion - his reasoning was sound, and he appreciated a professional at his back in this circumstance.

From the depths of his cloak, the tall man extracts a two-pronged spear of his own making. The weapon labors constantly to contain the wrath of the Archmage Rufus Belifont, who's firy spirit burns between the twin blades at it's tip. This he holds before him, piercing the darkness with ethereal light, and with his free hand he makes the sign of Urd, protector of magi. He whispers an incantation to seemingly no effect as his booted feet crunch over broken glass.

Into the dark again, lads, into the dark again. A line from a poem, or an adventurer's song... he couldn't remember... but it runs through his head as he goes searching, starting forward into the hospital to hunt evil at it's source.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devixer View Post
    Cassidy may seem like a normal human, but she's actually a little more than that as well. Although the Burglar is able to knock away her needle, she immediately reaches back with her other arm to try and punch him right in the face. She uses a bit of her magic to make that punch stronger and faster than a punch has any right to be, so it'll be more able to stun him.
    [Northside Hospital]

Obriane finally turns to Kitty, sniffing loudly as she attempts to control her own tears. "I can't move Kitty. I can't even more." She utters, her voice weak and shrill from her sobs.

[Eastside Hospital]

If Tep focuses he can see, not sense, tiny shards of demonic essence lingering here. They seem to have once been a part of something larger though what is hard to tell as whatever it was seem to have nearly completely disintegrated upon destruction, only leaving tiny bits of essence behind.
    As they move across the floor they can hear the glass crunch underneath their feet. She shards aren't especially sharp so they aren't in danger of injuring themselves. Within the building it's hard to see as the grey light coming from the skies above doesn't reach very far into this place. But with some light they can see a once modern looking lobby in a state of complete decay. Of particular note is the copious amounts of dried blood on the floor. It looks old and there is enough of it to suggest that someone died, but there is no body. Just a large smashed corridor lamp laying in the middle of it.

[Trouble at the museum]

While Cassindy is busy punching the Burglar Cybil will emerge from underneath the ground and attempt to grab a hold of the neck of his shirt with her maw and attempt to pull him into the newly opened hole she just made.

Cell of no names

"Think before you speak then 'mage', since if you really have been in the nexus for any amount of time you should know how pointless those titles are. There are countless of mages and demons about." He pauses. "But you know, it doesn't really matter what you are, I know what you aren't. The question is, what reasons do I have to keep you alive? A parasite like you can't be worth to keep around."

26. - Top - End - #176
    Pixie in the Playground

The Third Circle

Exar removes the books from the shelf and begins bringing them to the counter. Though given his size, he has to do so one at a time. After the third, Tep sighs and levitates them all over.
    "I need to make demons that can carry these things." he mutters before ringing the books up. They're not that much, since many are old and there's no silly textbook business driving up prices to hundreds of dollars.
    Killick smiles and waits for Tep to finish ringing everything up. He wonders if he will actually end up taking money back home.

Thanks again! These will really help.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

The Third Circle

Trading a dozen magical books and several scrolls sounds like it'd result in more return than buying two dozen ordinary textbooks.
    "You're welcome. Come back again sometime." says the demon pleasantly, hoping he'll get a returning customer.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Pixie in the Playground

Killick heads out, very happy with the results and already thinking which other books might be good to bring here. Then he pulls out a little PDA he got from Ri, and checks his ToDo list.

Ok, now off to the city called "Inside". heh. No worse than "Home", I suppose...

His black stone glows and he steps into a nearby shadow and vanishing from the world.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Cell

Certain sighs and says, "Spare me the theatrics. If you were going to kill me, you would have done so while I was unconscious. And if you must know what I was doing to Azare, I was enlightening her. The gods are evil, and this is an empowerment to let me fight them. Most mortals are blind to their evil, though, and I can share my gift, showing them the evil of the gods, freeing them from the cycle of mortality, and empowering them to fight back."

30. - Top - End - #180
    Firbolg in the Playground

[The Third Circle]

A customer has come to check out the new (ly managed) bookstore.

They would appear to be a woman in a flowery dress and pink jester's hat, with a bookbag over one shoulder.
    If you look closely you might see this for being a magically generated shape, and not what Cleo actually looks like.

The bookbag looks mostly empty; I don't think she's come with much to trade in.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine