New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Riverside 16: Turn and face the strain

[The Third Circle]

Dena's second assumption is, in fact, correct. Dipsnig frequently uses his wolf mounts to make up for his own height disadvantage.

"The way I see it, if we let people off the hook just because they happen to be demons, we won't get far," he says. "If they get violent, we're hardly helpless, and it certainly won't look good for them and their business. Let's head on in."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

[The Third Circle]

"Alright, but don't say i didn't warn ya." Dena replies before she follows him inside.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

The Third Circle

The bookstore has a mostly wooden interior, with red wallpaper and carpet. Sitting at the counter is a small imp, about 20 inches tall, gray-furred and looking like a bipedal, winged cross between a dog and a goat.
    "G-good afternoon. Welcome to the Third Circle, how may I help you?" he says with only a slight stammer.
    Normally the store would have a No Pets rule, but given the workers...it would seem a bit silly.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

[The Third Circle]

"We're here from MERC, and we need to speak to the owner of this here establishment," Dipsnig says, not dismounting yet. "I'm Dipsnig Razortooth and this is Dena Xifhara." He wonders if those names will tell the imp clerk anything.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

5. - Top - End - #215

[The Third Circle]

"He's the boss in case you're wondering." Dena states while gesturing at Dipsnig. "I'm but a simple lieutenant."

6. - Top - End - #216
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdEmperor View Post
    [The Toy Tinker]

"Well, yes and no." Hex very pointedly keeps his back to the shopkeep's accusing stares, preferring to watch 'his' creation swoop and flutter about among the beams. It's significantly more welcoming company.

"I'm not human, I suppose I should tell you that much. Because if I was a person, I'd be rather a terrible one, turning people into frogs and such. No, I am definitely no power-mad sorcerer." With a whistle he calls the robin down again, and the bird alights gracefully on his arm, lifting it's head for him to pet with the crook of his fingers and trilling a happy note of reply. The details on its wings seem to have grown deeper, more real, the feathers actually separated instead of lines on a flat piece of tin. "But in the course of my duties, I made a little mistake. That curse had gone very wrong when it reached you. Being that to err is only human, you do understand that I need to know why, yes?"
    To Sticks' credit, the metal work on those tiny wings is quite intricate! Though it is, when he's done, still metal. It is no alive thing, and without a great deal of work it cannot sing. "Your duties? You are somehow obligated to haphazardly change the form of innocent young men?" The tall man sits back in his chair and crosses his arms. "I'm afraid I can't help you. I removed your affliction from Jim nearly a year ago. Now begone, and take your foul glamours with you." He gestures at his robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Eastside Hospital]

If Tep focuses he can see, not sense, tiny shards of demonic essence lingering here. They seem to have once been a part of something larger though what is hard to tell as whatever it was seem to have nearly completely disintegrated upon destruction, only leaving tiny bits of essence behind.
    As they move across the floor they can hear the glass crunch underneath their feet. She shards aren't especially sharp so they aren't in danger of injuring themselves. Within the building it's hard to see as the grey light coming from the skies above doesn't reach very far into this place. But with some light they can see a once modern looking lobby in a state of complete decay. Of particular note is the copious amounts of dried blood on the floor. It looks old and there is enough of it to suggest that someone died, but there is no body. Just a large smashed corridor lamp laying in the middle of it.
    "Lightkin," Sticks calls in a hushed voice, reaching into his cloak and then throwing out his hand, flinging out a cloud of tiny yellow particles. They flit and seem to come alive, floating like a cloud of flies into the room. One darts down and occupies the smashed corridor-lamp, temporarily reviving it's ability to illuminate, creating a sort of... ghost light. The rest of them begin to spread out, perhaps into other rooms, seeking other places to settle themselves and resurrect sources of illumination.

The old wizard makes his way forward and begins a search of the room. If this is the lobby, perhaps it has some sort of directory for the remainder of the hospital. Failing that, he'll merely look antsy as he glances down the unnervingly dark corridors that wind away into the remainder of the haunted building.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

The Third Circle

The imp gulps visibly, and after a moment the owner (whose description can be found here) appears next to the counter. Dipsnig's wolf will probably not help his height right here.
    "Good afternoon, Sir and Miss." says the demon with a professional smile. "What do you have for me today?"
    There's an odd quality to his voice that generally indicates his nature, but he sounds more like a young man with a slightly unnerving voice rather than some spitting demon.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

[The Third Circle]

Dipsnig might still be shorter than the demon even now, but at least he's not quite as diminutive in comparison as he'd be on his own two legs.

"We're here with a business arrangement. Or an announcement, if you will. I assume you're aware that our corporation is now a major security provider for the Northside and Westside districts, as per our contract with the Malechenar nobility?"

9. - Top - End - #219

[The Third Circle]

"The ladies and gents living in the big flying castle up there." Dena clarifies. "The only other part we aren't protecting is said to house slavers you know? So we're already doing a pretty good job." Dena jokes. Just a rumor based upon that contract they got for Eastside, but you never knew.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2014-12-16 at 04:38 PM.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

The Third Circle

Tep nods.
    "Yes, I'm aware of your activity here in the city. Though I'm afraid you might need to count again, Miss. You're not protecting two of four parts, not one.
    But regardless, you can call me Hotep. What are you getting at?"
    he responds politely.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Cell

Certain considers her options. On the one hand, if she told him the truth that there would be few, if any, people that would miss her, he would almost certainly execute her on the spot. On the other, there are very few good lies available to her, but she eventually says, "I suppose you could send me to the Temple of Inari...No doubt they'd have a nicely ironic, fox-themed punishment for me."

12. - Top - End - #222
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Deep View Post
    Bus to Inside

"Oof. New york was spared a nuking, but if rumors are to be believed only just barely. I'm not clear on what all happened (I don't think anyone is), but at some point all the alien soldiers just keeled over and died. There was this massive area that was cordoned off, but I saw some of it. In addition to the alien corpses everywhere, there were these huge... eel-like things the size of skyscrapers and heavily armored. It was pretty crazy, all said and done."
    She shakes her head. "One part of me wishes I was in town when it happened, but I'm really glad I wasn't."
    "Man, not me. Jack showed me a couple videos of what was going down in Chicago. No thank you," Cassidy says. "I guess at least you guys got it taken care of, however that happened."

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdEmperor View Post
    [The Museum Heist]

Something gives beneath Cassidy's fist with a fleshy pop, black and tarry blood that smells of burning metal coming away on her fist. It certainly shuts the Burglar up, and the angry kick he responds with is more reflex than conscious motion, pathetically easy to avoid.

Mainly, it ends up leaving his foot the last bit of him within her reach - as the ground seems to have split open and swallowed up the rest of him.
    Cassidy leans away from the kick, and catches a whiff of the blood on her hand. What in the world was that smell? It was almost like ghoul blood, but this guy definitely wasn't a ghoul. With that distracting her, he doesn't go to grab the Burglar's foot - not that that would help her much.

13. - Top - End - #223

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    To Sticks' credit, the metal work on those tiny wings is quite intricate! Though it is, when he's done, still metal. It is no alive thing, and without a great deal of work it cannot sing. "Your duties? You are somehow obligated to haphazardly change the form of innocent young men?" The tall man sits back in his chair and crosses his arms. "I'm afraid I can't help you. I removed your affliction from Jim nearly a year ago. Now begone, and take your foul glamours with you." He gestures at his robin.
    "Foul glamours?" The robin chirps angrily, echoing his words. "Oh, come on. You made it. I've certainly never had the craftmanship." The little thing hops and flutters along his arm as he turns, up onto his shoulder. "And as for afflictions, haphazard transformations, and so on." He takes a deep breath, heading off the the anger in his words and starting again, in a controlled, patient tone. Like he's explaining to a schoolboy. "My duty is to test people. To weigh moral fiber. The curse was meant to do no harm, unless he abused the magic it came with. That's fair. That's quite fair. You can't give away powers like those without some balance paid. He would have been fine, completely fine, if something hadn't gone wring."

"Surely you've had dealings with things of my general order before?"
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bus to Inside

"I'm not clear on the how, but APPARENTLY in another world it was a blockbuster movie. Fiction movie, that is. On one hand, kinda weird. On the other, apparently it's a good movie, so..."
    She shrugs. "Kinda want to see it, kinda scared to see it. I'll likely end up seeing it sooner or later."

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

[The Third Circle]

"Well, you see," Dipsnig says, sliding off Viima's saddle, "Our contract with Malechenar involves protecting the whole of their territory from threats. But we're stretched rather thin. So we're going to need personal encouragement from business owners if we're going to commit resources to individual business owners."

16. - Top - End - #226

[The Third Circle]

"Eh, Southside is a no-mans land, sir. I don't usually consider it a part of the city until someone starts governing it." Dena replies with a nod. "But yeah. Basically the mercenaries are a bit more costly than the usual cops so if this is going to work we're going to need more compensation until everything works out. But you will of course get more benefits for the increased cost where your shop will be protected twenty four hours a day, every day of the week. It might seem unnecessary, but we have been having trouble with strange things lately. Like spirits and such. Not your regular burglar that I'm sure you can deal with on your own."

[The Museum Heist]

Panicking slightly at Cassidy's sudden appearance and the fight, Cybil will continue dragging the Burglar underneath the earth, very glad that he apparently didn't need to breath now as their escape underneath the earth wouldn't be very healthy for a normal human being. Cassidy better stay away from that blood though, it might make her sick, or worse...

Cell

"I have heard of them." They seemed like decent enough people, more than capable to deal with this wretch. Which begged the question why she even would mention it. Probably to get a leaner punishment. "What exactly is your connection to them?"

17. - Top - End - #227

[Museum Heist]

And the Burglar is dragged under the earth, squirming a little in Cybil's grip in his half-conscious panic. That punch certainly seems to have done worse than the fall from the rooftops. There's blood in his hair as well as his face, and his other leg makes a nasty, fleshy sound as his wounds seal and it's pulled violently back into place. His nose does the same, prompting a sudden gasp and then a cough as he draws in dirt instead of air.

Above, the crown jewels glitter on the ground amidst the broken glass and metal of the display case.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

The Third Circle

A smirk develops over the demon's canine face, and he leans over to drop an elbow on the bar and rest his head on that hand. Given his height, this involves leaning rather far. Their little good cop/bad cop routine isn't fooling anyone. Two can play at this farce. Or rather, three.
    "Reeaally now? I'm quite surprised to hear that the largest mercenary company in the Nexus which just recently christened several separate bands of mercenaries for this exact purpose is having trouble covering half of a city. But surely you have priorities, yes? Surely you've noticed that this little shop is in the middle of a residential area. With a school nearby, the only stores for blocks around are small ones like mine and a few eateries. It would be a shame if you ran into trouble responding to a crisis in time around here. I know Malechenar has been trying so hard to make Northside seem like a fine, livable place. That would be surely ruined if the people began to feel unsafe as the peacekeepers they're being taxed to pay for can't even stop a simple book robbery five steps from their homes. Yes?" he says kindly, not a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

Lotus Gardens

Garn stares back at Quinn but makes no comment, the gargoyle simple nods at Jezebel and Cessie who finally can turn and accept the invitation properly. "I'm sure I can somehow make time for it Quinn, unless duty calls in VIGIL of course. You know how it is." She wasn't going to have that conversation here though. "But I might also spend my Christmas at the Frescots, or perhaps I'll invite them over to GloG as well."

"What is 'GloG'?" Garn suddenly asks as the term is mentioned once again. He seems unsure if he should ask Jezebel or Quinn however.
    "I know exactly how it is," Quinn says sympathetically to Cessie, before looking to Garn at the gargoyle's question. "The Good League of Good," she explains. "We do charitable works and do our best to help reform those who seek it."

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Cell

Certain shrugs and says, "I know of them. I went there once, before I was enlightened..." She smirks and says sarcastically, "You never know. Maybe they'll awaken the dormant goodness in my heart."

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

[The Third Circle]

"That's a dreadful hypothetical situation that can be very easily avoided if you just provide us with some proper incentive," Dipsnig says in a cheerful tone.

22. - Top - End - #232

[The Third Circle]

Dena nods. "You're really good at this, sir. Have you considered mercenary work? It might suit you." She adds in the same tone as Dipsnig. Awfully cheery these mercenaries.

Cell

Tarim doesn't bother replying to that last part. "You 'knew them'? How exactly? Explain to me how you came in touch with them."

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

The Third Circle

"Oh, but surely I already have! For where are we when those who enforce our laws care not for the plight of its people?"
    He says melodramatically.
    "Or at the very least, the plight of those who are paying the taxes that pay for their general wages. There are certainly quite a lot of them around here. Their dissatisfaction could add up to a nasty little blemish on your paychecks." he says, straightening himself with a shrug.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

Lotus Gardens

Garn stares back at Quinn but makes no comment, the gargoyle simple nods at Jezebel and Cessie who finally can turn and accept the invitation properly. "I'm sure I can somehow make time for it Quinn, unless duty calls in VIGIl of course. You know how it is." She wasn't going to have that conversation here though. "But I might also spend my Christmas at the Frescots, or perhaps I'll invite them over to GloG as well."

"What is 'GloG'?" Garn suddenly asks as the term is mentioned once again. He seems unsure if he should ask Jezebel or Quinn however.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bushranger View Post
    Lotus Gardens

Quinn smiled to Jezebel with a nod. "And I'll make sure to make time for your celebration here," she adds as a promise, before looking to Cessie, eyeing Garn with curiosity as she waits for the gargoyle to stop being distracting to his mistress.
    The Lotus Gardens

Jezebel just gives a small nod and looks back up into the rain for a few moments more. "GLoG is an organization, Garn. A good one. Would you three like me to send you back to your homes?" She asks. "Though I believe you have an apartment here, Quinn."

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    Eastside

Lyn nods between bites.
    "Yeah, you're right. Food in general is less fun now that I don't need it any more, that much is for sure. Not having to worry about getting randomly shot is nice, but the whole emotion thing is weird."
    A pause.
    "What are you god of anyway?" she asks.
    Eastside

"That question is far more complicated than you'd think."
    He admits between bites. "It depends on what dimension a part of me is on. Two up, I'm Draxis The Blood Drinker, god of battle and rage. One to the left and I'm Wulf the God of Beasts. Three South of here, I'm The Nameless Vagabond, bringer of luck. I'm the god of all such things and more. Mostly they are more primal sensations and domains that I control, but wisdom and free will is there as well."

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Eastside

Lyn blinks. That is, indeed, far more complex than she can really understand.
    "That sounds really confusing." See?
    "So, do all those versions have totally different realms and afterlives and stuff? Erm, maybe I don't want to know. It doesn't matter too much to me, either. Getting stuck with immortality means I don't have things like that to look forward to. Which is fine; you should enjoy the present anyway. Just thinking about that much time makes my head hurt." she says, putting a hand to her temple dramatically.

Eastside Hospital

Tep frowns and steps in front of Sticks.
    "I can see fine in the dark. My kin are about, and generally they want things other than antique books. Or close enough, they're demon enough for me to recognize. Be on your guard, sir." he says, slowing down to be more cautious as he advances to peer into the nearest doorway before them.

Is that the first time he said he was a demon? Sticks might have gathered that anyway, but...
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2014-12-17 at 10:32 PM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

The Lotus Gardens

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbane View Post
    Jezebel just gives a small nod and looks back up into the rain for a few moments more. "GLoG is an organization, Garn. A good one. Would you three like me to send you back to your homes?" She asks. "Though I believe you have an apartment here, Quinn."
    "I think I'll stop by there for a little bit and relax," Quinn agreed after a moment's thought. "It's been awhile since I took a break, so spending a little time here can't hurt." She smiled, bowing politely to Jezebel and Cessie. "It's good to see you again, I just wish it could have gone better."

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

27. - Top - End - #237

The Lotus Gardens

Garn nods, but doesn't reply. Just taking in the information in silent consideration.

"I'd like to see your thankmas preparations before I leave." Cessie tells Jezebel. "Feels like I barely had time to enjoy that yet." With the battle and all.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Cell

Certain sighs and says, "Before I was enlightened, I had a small but annoying curse. They helped lift it. That's it, really."

29. - Top - End - #239

[The Third Circle]

Sebastian brushes into the shop, looking slightly nervous as he glances around.

There is a demon behind that counter. Well. The mage kind of half-smiles before vanishing into the stacks, immersing himself in the far more comforting world of musty old pages and cracked leather bindings. He combs through them, running a finger over the titles and plucking out a few that seem practical enough to justify on his budget. It's been too long since he's seen a proper collection like this.

The shelf of spellbooks and beginner's scrolls catches his attention, and he awkwardly clears his throat to try and get the sales-imp's attention. "Ah, I don't suppose you have anything concerning planeswalkers? Or, earth magic, or whatever you call drawing on natural powers?"

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

The Third Circle

Without anyone else in the store, Exar was watching the young man as he went, and doesn't jump in surprise as being addressed.
    "There's a Druid manual two to your left. It's in Druidic, but I'm pretty sure someone uploaded that language to the Internet a long time ago. I can sell ya a scroll of Comprehend Languages either way. There's also a small volume on Krynnian sorcery too.
    And there's a few of the Magic: The Gathering novels, but I'm guessing you wanted something...instructional?"
    says the imp.