New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Europa Universalis IV - After Action Report: Novgorod

Fun fact: Yekaterinburg was only founded in 1723, named after the wife of a ruler you will never have (IIRC Russia must be a Monarchy to experience the Time of Troubles, so the scripted rise of the Romanovs to power will never transpire). So that region should really be called something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

I say Anton Senyavin, even if only from process of elimination. If we are truly the Third Rome, then, like the First and Second Romes, our wars should be practical and pragmatic, and targets chosen due to their value, not zealous onslaughts purely because the locals believe differently than us. Likewise, Lithuania is a valuable ally and, more importantly, a useful source of cannon fodder to die in place of our actually useful troops when enemies come from the west. That rules out everybody except Senyavin.

Regarding the HRE:

Doesn't the Emperor lose IA if a member country converts away from the True Religion? That would explain where the IA keeps going.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

I find the Holy War CB so OP. If you convert to Reformed (which almost no AI nation does) you can basically wipe out everyone near you. Being Orthodox, it's the same really.
    Elementalist of the Redcloak Fan Club

Awesome avatar by Eldan.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fun fact: Yekaterinburg was only founded in 1723, named after the wife of a ruler you will never have (IIRC Russia must be a Monarchy to experience the Time of Troubles, so the scripted rise of the Romanovs to power will never transpire). So that region should really be called something else.
    I'm glad to have some unspecified sort of expert in the audience, but... any suggestions? The game has plenty of things like that (such as colonial nation names), but I do find them sort of annoying and am glad to change them. I actually recently had an event involving Muscovite feudal politics, but decided not to talk about it because I had no idea how to explain it here. Events like that should take the game's weird alternate history into account.
    Last edited by SilverLeaf167; 2014-12-23 at 04:39 PM.
    Saga of the Slavs – Paradox Megacampaign AAR (continued at last!)

Sovereign Levander on Steam

5. - Top - End - #95

Part 13: Christmas Peace
    28th of February, 1543

Spoiler
    Show
    Anton Senyavin of the Traders gets as much votes as the other two put together, hopefully bringing at least a brief period of peace between Russia's endless wars.

The colony in Narim has been growing quickly, with local natives joining the settlement. However, the overrepresentation of men is considered a problem; though hardy workers are obviously needed to build the settlement and work in the copper mines, in the long term they can't maintain a population on their own. Volunteer women are thus brought in from around the nation to keep them company.

Plans are made for artificial canals and larger shipyards. They will hopefully further facilitate long-distance travel by connecting Russia's many rivers and providing the vessels to sail along them. In time, they might even be useful for overseas colonization; every little bit helps.

Narim is declared a full-fledged (though very empty) province and the next settlement is placed just a short distance to the east.

Even though the nation is at peace, military research never stops. Firearms and traditional weapons have been used together for a while now, but there hasn't really been a proper system for it. One has finally been devised: by placing shooters at the corners of a classic pike square, its effective shape can be utilized while also adding some firepower and versatility to the formation.

Indeed, Russia's government is clearly used to a constant state of conflict; as soon as they have none to focus on, they start getting careless and corrupted. This causes no small amount of frustration to the diligent Senyavin.

The Guilds' long rule – now finally weakened – has also allowed many of their transgressions to pass by ignored. One of Russia's topmost ambassadors has been making backroom deals with all sorts of foreign officials on his trips abroad. While he admits this, he denies ever abusing his privileges or harming the republic. According to him, these deals of his could actually be used to the nation's advantage; however, others are shocked by his almost treasonous behavior and demand his dismissal or at least further investigation. Senyavin is one of the latter.

Denmark declares war on Sweden in early 1545. Many are frustrated by Senyavin's unwilligness to do so first, perceiving it as a lost opportunity. Senyavin doesn't even consider the rest of Sweden that interesting, though.

He prefers to focus on Russia's internal matters instead. With the help of inquisitor Anatoliy Dubenski, progress has been made in heretic regions, but the Muslims of the east are still holding strong. There aren't simply enough competent missionaries. Senyavin decides to address the issue by cooperating with the Church to provide special education and training for these envoys of faith, hopefully accelerating the conversion process.

Poland invades Prussia, calling Russia to help. Though Senyavin has no real desire to actually fight, he accepts the call to maintain good relations; Poland should be just fine on its own. All he does is move the fleet into place to blockade the Prussian coast.

Hoping to put the military industry's idle resources to use, Senyavin orders the construction of large copper refineries in Viatka and Perm, where plenty of it is produced. Cannons are very expensive these days.

Russia has long employed more or less official privateers in the Baltic, and their fleet has actually been recently expanded with state-ordered ships. However, even when formally part of Russia's military, they're always somewhat unpredictable and their loyalty is easily shaken. One captain has broken away from the main fleet and begun preying on the wrong merchants while evading his former colleagues. This makes a big dent in the nation's trade income through this vital route.

Denmark makes peace with Sweden, only taking one province and leaving their entire coastline untouched. Many Russians maintain hopes of claiming it after this darn pacifist's term ends.

Settlers in the distant Turukhan region report large amounts of fur animals in the area.

Anton Senyavin dies at a feast in January 1548, five years into his term. It is claimed he simply choked on his food, but the whole thing seems very suspicious and he's definitely won many enemies through simple inaction. Those same enemies probably aren't too happy about about the similarly peaceful Boris Bibikov's rise to power as the fourth Konsul.

With this, the Traders have cemented their power far enough to surpass the Guilds in political influence.

Pleased by this shift in the council, they're happy to provide the republic with even more private funding.

What little remains of the once powerful Crimean Khanate has decided to follow in the Timurids' footsteps and reform into a proper monarchy. It won't do them much good, though.

Poland and Prussia soon reach a peace agreement as well, giving Poland what they wanted. Circassia's independent efforts also gain Russia about half of the Livonian Order's remaining lands... which isn't much.

Semigallia's only real value is as an additional port in the Baltic Sea. Its very small and rural population's main contribution to the economy consists of naval supplies such as tar and rope.

It has come to the government's attention that many people around the country are either unable or unwilling to actually go to church regularly. Anything the Church does is useless if the people refuse to participate. A new law has thus been passed, requiring all citizens to attend at least certain important church services; while most unbelievers are likely to ignore it, it should still have a noticeable effect on the nation's piety.

The Traders are also trying to further strengthen their grip on the nation's economical matters. Though it's never been a proper member of the Hanseatic League, Novgorod has granted their merchants special privileges and a private area within the City. However, as Russia's control of the Baltic Sea increases, the League's position in these negotiations weakens. If they were forced to provide some favors in exchange for these privileges, Russia could harness their influence for its own goals.

Scotland's excursions and settlements on the western coastline explored by Gorensky have discovered both a new source and a new need for fur, the global trade of which Russia famously dominates. Felt hats made primarily out of beaver fur have proven very useful and popular in their northern colonies and the design has been adopted elsewhere in Europe, including Russia. This has resulted in a sharp rise in demand for Russia's primary export.

The full integration of Circassia is finally finished in August 1552. While the Circassian homeland itself is relatively poor, the Astrakhani region holds both an important trade post and a sizable population. The Crimean peninsula is similarly populous and valuable, Feodosia (former Caffa) acting as the single largest center of commerce on this coast of the Black Sea. Overall, the rather large area is deemed worth the trouble.

The colony in Turukhan is finished soon as well. The government decides to secure another unclaimed gap between borders rather than proceed further east.

In fact, as the colonization of Siberia progresses, it's starting to lose its glamour. Council members demand that Russia finally aim for America, as the new continent has been dubbed by Westerners; Scotland has proven the northern parts inhabitable and is going to claim them all if Russia doesn't act soon. Still, logistic issues make it currently impossible.

As the nation spreads, so does the Orthodox faith. The council is very glad to see the Church's missionaries getting converts, though it could definitely be happening much faster. This success has indeed convinced both the people and the missionaries of their chances and motivated them to work much harder, while also making a very strong impression on the unbelievers. The nation shall soon be united in its Orthodox faith!

The western Holy Roman Empire, on the other hand, has been greatly fragmented by the Reformation and the new schisms it brought. As these new heretics forge alliances with each other, the traditional Catholics do the same, only widening the gap further. The division between the Catholic and Protestant Leagues is undeniable and likely to lead to war.

The election arrives in January 1556, after a grand 13 years of peace.

Konsul Boris Bibikov is happy with the progress brought by this calm era, but secretly worried by the looks some advisors are giving him. He promises a gradual loosening of his current policies, perhaps starting with a final annexation of the ruined Sweden or perhaps some more horde land.

Iosif Godunov agrees with Bibikov's general agenda, though his attitude to war is more opportunistic. On the other hand, he wants Russia to construct more industrial infrastructure in the most important areas; Senyavin's metal manufactories are a good start and the remote gold mines could definitely be more effective.

Anton Golitsyn wants to continue his predecessors' peaceful streak and perhaps make some more progress towards a colony in America. If Russia managed to gain a foothold on the continent, it would be entirely possible to compete with Scotland for the region.

Artemiy Senyavin demands more conquest in the east; Russia's colonies are built on vulnerable supply routes and would currently be a liability in case of war. A larger buffer zone must be claimed instead of blindly slithering further into the wilderness.

Vote for the fifth Konsul here! [CLOSED; click to view results]

Spoiler: Author's notes
    Show
    My extended winter break is over and we're back in business!

I noticed that the Russian flag had the Muscovite heraldry in the center, so I made a custom flag to replace it with Novgorod's.

We're just 35 colonial range shy of Greenland, meaning we need either Diplomatic tech 15... or a better port. eyeing Norway We need a better hold on the North Sea anyway... Either way, feel free to start making name suggestions for Russian Canada! (Hopefully centered in Quebec)

Map highlights:
    Ferrara is having trouble with Reformed rebels. Norway still hasn't defeated their heretics...
    Nogai was vassalized by Kazan.
    Imereti conquered a bunch of land from Qara Qoyunlu, frustratingly making them too big for my plans of diplomatic vassalization.
    Hesse is quickly becoming one of the strongest states in the HRE.

I think I'm going to start posting expandable world maps, these are getting impossible to read...
    Last edited by SilverLeaf167; 2015-01-14 at 08:09 AM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

While Sweden is a easy target, we should start up our factories so we can liberate the Russians held captive in Lithuania and Khazan!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

We need more war! Destroy the Hordes, destroy the Kalmar Union, partition Poland!
    I'd say take Iceland to create Russianada.
    Prussia existst and Hesse is strong? Interesting.
    Also, join the Protestant League and enforce Peace of Westphalia. The Orthodox must be allowed to be Emperors!

Awesome avatar by Eldan.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sange View Post
    Also, join the Protestant League and enforce Peace of Westphalia. The Orthodox must be allowed to be Emperors!
    Only if we figure out how to become emperor.

And I personally like "Western Siberia" for our North American Holdings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Perhaps Canuckistan if we get a colonial nation in Canada.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

10. - Top - End - #100

Unfortunately, Canada in Russian is just Kanada (noticing the trend?) so no help there. Historically, Russia's colonies in Alaska (and Fort Ross, in what is now California) were known as "Russian America" which is not terribly exciting.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

11. - Top - End - #101

Part 14: The Great Strife
    24th of January, 1556

Spoiler
    Show
    The three other candidates run rather even, but Iosif Godunov's more moderate stance ends up attracting plenty of supporters from their camps. He is declared the fifth Konsul of Russia.

He tries to think of possible ways to combine the nation's primary goals of colonial and military expansion. Planted in his head by an advisor's whispers, a plan begins to stew...

The settlers in Surgut, happily toiling away without concern for foreign politics, report findings of large iron deposits.

There is clearly war in the air, though: military experts are busy arguing about strategic and tactical theory. One side insists on the superiority of aggressive, surprising assaults, while the other (fittingly enough) defends the classic idea of obtaining and maintaining defensive positions. Though practically all of Russia's wars in the past decades have been offensive on the large scale, Godunov still prefers defensive and subversive tactics, siding with their advocates. There is great schism in the army leadership, but at least now they're free to focus on a clear agenda.

Tragic news arrive from the south! The accursed Ottomans have finally conquered the last remnants of the once great Eastern Roman Empire and taken the grand city of Constantinople as their new capital. There is great grief all across the Orthodox world; though the Ottomans haven't actually dissolved the Patriarchy, it is still a great blow to its authority in ecclesiastical matters as well as secular.

However, there is also light in this darkness: given Russia's undeniable position as the mightiest Orthodox power, the national Church announces itself as a new Patriarchy, validating their position as representatives of God's divine will. It is only appropriate for the last real heir of Rome; Constantinople has clearly lost its divine favor. Though the Ecumenical Patriarch is still respected, the Patriarch of All Russia has partially replaced him in the people's eyes.

As Godunov keeps subtly favoring his guildmates in the government, they eventually creep up in power to surpass the formerly dominant Traders.

Convening in secret, the government agrees on a controversial course of action. In August 1567, war is declared on Russia's old ally Norway. Though the cited reasons involve a variety of religious differences and claims on the northern coast, Russia's main concern is gaining more ports and access to the western seas. The loss of two old allies is considered negligible, considering their meager militaries and remote position away from most of Russia's actual wars. Norway is joined by the outraged Danish, but Poland joins Russia's side. The enemy is overwhelmingly outnumbered on land, but their combined galley fleets are fearsome.

Having anticipated this, Godunov has moved the Russian fleet to Arkhangelsk in advance to allow them to evade the enemy's ships. Carrying thousands of soldiers, the fleet departs across the cold sea to invade Norway's western islands, while other troops march right across the border into Northern Norway. The islands are under rebel control, meaning they'll probably have at least some armed defenders. Godunov strikes a deal with England to house the fleet and provide supplies far away from home.

Finally awoken from their convenient collective slumber, nationalist rebels have suddenly raised their heads in Eastern Russia. A large uprising occurs in the former Crimean area, but Russia's currently in no position to send armies against them so they'll just have to wait.

Russia makes a successful landing on the Faroe Islands and is gaining ground on the continent as well. There's an awful lot of mutual maneuvering but no real battles, apart from a single naval encounter destroying most of Poland's navy and thus rendering their army useless as well.

In other news, the conversion of Russia's unbelievers is making good progress on both fronts. Many large Muslim populations in the east have peacefully switched to the true faith, while the Protestants of Finland have lost their main foothold in the religious center of Turku, formerly home to many influential reformist thinkers and something of a symbol in itself.

As the chance for greater colonial expansion seems more and more realistic, the state decides to adopt some new policies tailor-made to attract and fund new colonists and encourage emigration to the frontier. The untamed wilderness is greatly romanticized as a place of freedom and opportunity where any good man can make a honest living; this idea seems to be spreading successfully.

The government employs other sorts of propaganda as well. While Russia's leaders have always been military commanders and Godunov is leading the invasion of Shetland even now, this aspect of their demanding office hasn't been emphasized very much. However, romanticizing the army in a way similar to the colonies and painting it as a divine service to the Konsul himself should draw in more and more voluntary recruits. This shall be accompanied by increased infrastructural efforts, of course.

More rebels soon rise in Perm, Astrakhan, Muscovy, Finland and Latvia, basically erupting into all-out civil war. Pulling away from the front right away would only do harm, though: it is better to defeat Norway as soon as possible.

Seemingly minor but ultimately game-changing additions are made to artillery design, granting cannons much more versatility and mobility on the battlefield.

As Russia creeps further along the Norwegian coast, the enemy spots a seeming gap in the lines and marches to retake Russian-occupied Finnmark. However, they are soon routed in the first real exchange of the war.

In April 1560, after almost three years of war with thousands of men lost to attrition alone, Norway finally surrenders. They hand over a good deal of their coastline as well as the Faroe Islands and Bergenshus, an important trade city on the North Sea coast. All these areas are relatively poor in fisherman population and natural resources, but their importance as ports more than makes up for it.

It is likely that Russia will actually have a much harder time dealing with the expanding outbreak of rebels, though Lithuania is offering a little backline help.

Meanwhile, nonchalant as usual, Surgut is declared a complete province and a new settlement is planned nearby in Komi. Russia would send an expedition to America, but the necessary infrastructure isn't yet ready in the conquered provinces.

Poland declares war on Hungary (again) and calls Russia to help. Just like last time, the call is answered, but Russia is unlikely to actually actively participate.

With Russia's conquests in the steppes, wool has become another important export. However, as a product becomes more valuable, the competition over it becomes ever fiercer. Especially with the current upheaval in the area, the Guilds are doing their best to ensure stability of supply. Their drastic means have angered the local traders, of course. As much as it saddens Godunov to work against his colleagues, he is forced to take the locals' side rather than spark further rebellion.

The colonists in Komi report fertile soil and a surprisingly pleasant climate, suitable for farming. Not worth much on the international market but promising for the province's local development.

Even with the endless conflict, bureaucratic expansion of the government tries its hardest to continue with the introduction of new local offices to keep a check on the movement of information, people and money across the nation.

As January 1564 arrives, after five years of civil war the armed rebels have been almost completely defeated, but not before draining the nation's manpower and supplies through guerrilla warfare all across the nation; only the capital area was spared. Commonly called the Great Strife, this mess is considered a very ugly stain on Godunov's reign, noting the complete lack of prior rebellion.

Konsul Iosif Godunov assures the voters that the huge civil war was a result of long-lasting tension together with sheer chance and instead tries to emphasize his own diligent efforts in containing it. However, he promises that after the very last rebel scum are taken care of, he will let the poor army recover from its great losses and instead focus on economical and colonial matters.

Prokopiy de Tolly of the Guilds has no interest in competing with Godunov.

Pavel Pozharski of the Traders is ecstatic to see an American colony finally become possible. More resources must be devoted to the cause of organizing more effective and expansive colonization! The need for this is obvious if Russia aims to colonize on two frontiers simultaneously. Local organization of overseas holdings is a particularly large hurdle.

Artemiy Adashev of the Aristocrats knows this isn't the end of Russia's rebel issues. Though the situation seems stable enough for now, anything might happen to upset the balance and plunge the realm back into chaos. Under his control, the army would focus on preemptively stamping out discontent and be ready to fight it wherever it rises!

Vote for the sixth Konsul here! [CLOSED; click to view results]

Show
    Good news! The unrest system finally started working!
    Bad news! It did so right after I lowered autonomy all across the country in the last chapter!

I didn't share much details on either war, but that's just because they were nothing but a long and painful grind with nothing of note really happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    And I personally like "Western Siberia" for our North American Holdings.
    Unfortunately, Canada in Russian is just Kanada (noticing the trend?) so no help there. Historically, Russia's colonies in Alaska (and Fort Ross, in what is now California) were known as "Russian America" which is not terribly exciting.
    I'm thinking West Siberian Company, for Canada at least. Actually kinda makes sense, given our mercantile guild system.

Map highlights:
    Denmark is embroiled in simultaneous wars with Sweden, Holstein and their allies.
    France is expanding in all directions.
    Poland's war is going surprisingly well.
    Last edited by SilverLeaf167; 2015-01-16 at 12:48 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102

Once again I must speak in favour of my Aristocratic Brethren! Are we going to allow this neglectful, uncaring traitor another term after such atrocities in Crimea? We are no longer just Novgorod, we are RUSSIA and we must ensure that ALL of us are Russia! Let us stamp out this rot wherever it might be found, and let us liberate other Russians form underneath foreign boots!
    So Much for the Glory of Rome, a Crusader Kings 2 Let's Play

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

13. - Top - End - #103

Quote Originally Posted by SilverLeaf167 View Post
    There is great grief all across the Orthodox world; the faith has lost its great patriarch.
    Actually, the Patriarchate of Constantinople was never abolished by the Turks; the Patriarch was allowed to continue on as the religious leader for the Orthodox minority of the Ottoman Empire, and there is still a Patriarch today (who has been in office since 1991, making him a lot more robust than the Popes).
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

14. - Top - End - #104

Actually, the Patriarchate of Constantinople was never abolished by the Turks; the Patriarch was allowed to continue on as the religious leader for the Orthodox minority of the Ottoman Empire, and there is still a Patriarch today (who has been in office since 1991, making him a lot more robust than the Popes).
    Okay, good to know! I think I'll actually alter my wording to accommodate that.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

Any reason you didn't take Iceland?
    Voted for colonization candidate. Russianada must happen!

Awesome avatar by Eldan.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Welcome back from your break, SilverLeaf! Glad to see glorious Novgorod Russia continue to expand.

There's an Ottoman event about the Patriarchate that can fire if they control Istanbul before 1500 and the Byzantines no longer exist. They can allow the Patriarchate to continue, increasing relations with Orthodox countries, or destroy it for some money and base tax (which angers Orthodox countries).
    ithilanor on Steam.

17. - Top - End - #107

Quote Originally Posted by Sange View Post
    Any reason you didn't take Iceland?
    Voted for colonization candidate. Russianada must happen!
    1. The Faroe Islands were close enough to America.
    2. Iceland wasn't within England's supply range.
    3. I would've had to either take two worthless provinces or settle for an ugly-looking half an island.
    4. Iceland had 30 000 rebels sitting on it.

Clearly this proves every choice I make is carefully calculated step-by-step.

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    Welcome back from your break, SilverLeaf! Glad to see glorious Novgorod Russia continue to expand.
    Why thank you! I'm glad to be back.

There's an Ottoman event about the Patriarchate that can fire if they control Istanbul before 1500 and the Byzantines no longer exist. They can allow the Patriarchate to continue, increasing relations with Orthodox countries, or destroy it for some money and base tax (which angers Orthodox countries).
    Guess they missed their deadline on that, huh?
    After reading up on history, I'm wondering why Bulgaria, Serbia and Georgia don't have any patriarchy-related events. Guess Paradox just didn't bother paying attention to such small countries.
    Last edited by SilverLeaf167; 2015-01-16 at 12:43 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108

Part 15: Mother Russia, Eh?
    24th of January, 1564

Spoiler
    Show
    Adashev's rambling is seen as paranoid and his agenda unrealistic, only attracting a few likeminded voters. It seems Russia is eager to depart on a proper quest for the New World, as the strongly colony-centric Palov Pozharski ends up beating the former Konsul Godunov by a fair margin.

One of Pozharski's very first acts as the sixth Konsul of Russia is to order a huge expansion of army infrastructure, particularly in the recruitment and training department. The reserves have practically run out from sheer attrition, but anyone can see that there are plenty of peasants available with nothing better to do.

As all but a few rebel strongholds have been overrun and the army has marched through surprisingly cooperative Norway to stamp out the last discontents, the Great Strife is effectively over.

Even then, the huge civil war has shaken the entire country quite badly. Many people from the worst-suffering areas – Russian migrants and locals alike – have had enough of this unrest and wish to move somewhere safer. Elista, an already sparsely populated countryside province in Astrakhan, is one such wartorn region. It has seen a large spike in migration towards the capital. The government sees no reason to restrict this; these people can be put to better use in the City than in some backwater, even if it does leave some iron mines undermanned, and doing so would be against its republican principles anyway.

Not all can escape their troubles so easily, of course. Families all across the country have been deprived of husbands, fathers and sons and left with no way to feed themselves. Though every possible man is still needed for the defense of the Russian people, temporary tax reliefs are given to all the victims of the conflict so they might save more for themselves.

As the long-term dream of an American colony grows closer to fulfillment, it's about time for the final practical issues to be addressed. The proper administration of remote areas can obviously be very difficult for a variety of reasons including but not limited to travel time, lack of communication, detachment from everyday realities and growing cultural distance. If a colony is to flourish, it needs as much local autonomy as possible while still allowing the motherland to maintain a firm grip. To this end, the Roman office of the Governors shall be reestablished, each such elected official being granted almost Konsul-like authority in their designated area of responsibility. While designed with distant colonies in mind, the system is also applicable to the increasingly large and diverse continental Russia as well.

With the establishment of Komi as a completed settlement in November 1565, Pozharski is glad to declare Russia's next target! Expeditions into the so-called Gulf of St. Lawrence have discovered a suitable location at the very end of the gulf, at the mouth of the eponymous river, in a comfortably sheltered position and with a rather small native population. An exceptionally large and well-stocked group of settlers is gathered and sent on their way to the Faroe Islands to prepare for their final voyage. Soon they will lay the foundation of the first Russian town in America!

After Austria actually made a proper effort, Poland's war against Hungary quickly turned around. They are lucky to get away with a mere white peace.

As the great ships sail through the straits, it is possible to see the wooden towers of churches and watchposts rising on the island, accompanied by pillars of smoke from dozens of chimneys. It is clear that the Scottish are thriving in these harsh conditions, away from their old enemy England. As the confused and hungry passengers finally set foot in Stadacona, as the natives seem to call it, a new leaf turns in the history of the Republic of Russia.

Russians have hardly visited the area since its original discovery: much of the coast remains unexplored and hardly anything is known of what lays further south. However, for now, this cozy cove is exactly what the settlers need to survive. There are some rather prosperous tribal nations in the vicinity, though...

Curious natives soon make contact with the colonists. While these tribes don't have much of use to sell, the Russians decide to adopt a diplomatic approach and forge at least nominal trade connections with them, even if communication is rather difficult. While conflict is an inevitable part of colonialism, it is good to establish a peaceful precedent. The colony needs as much help as possible if it is to thrive.

Europe obviously isn't anywhere near as peaceful. Denmark has finished its wars against two enemies, taking half of Holstein and of Sweden.

Though Russia's manpower issues have yet to be solved, Pozharski decides to finally go ahead and invade what little is left of Sweden. Even though Prussia decides to join, even their combined army isn't exactly threatening in its current state.

Landings in Sweden's two remaining provinces are unhindered and successful. One army marches into Prussia and cooperates with Lithuania to defeat the defenders therein.

After chasing down and wiping out the survivors, the Russian army is free to spread across that country as well.

As swimmingly as the war is going, it's not especially popular. People are still exhausted from the Great Strife and afraid of a new uprising. However, the Patriarch of All Russia has spoken up and declared this originally Muslim rebellion nothing but a divine test of their faith; one they passed with flying colors. This makes them feel much better about the nation's future and their own.

Pozharski makes two separate peaces in July 1568. Prussia is forced to hand over the pathetic entirety of the Livonian Order's lands as well as one of their own border provinces.

While Kurland is almost as poor as the neighboring Semigallia, Memel actually houses a fair-sized farming population.

Sweden, on the other hand, is forced to accept total annexation. While Vδsterbotten is basically indistinguishable from the rest of the Lappish wasteland, only made slightly more valuable by its coast, the area around Stockholm is an old hub of Scandinavian activity and also one of the proposed birthplaces of Rurik, the Varangian founder of the Kievan Rus.

The colonists in Stadacona have had some misunderstandings with the natives and don't really have any notable natural resources to report, either, other than an abundance of fish. Even less valuable as an export than grain due to difficulty of storage and smaller demand, it should at least feed the town itself.

With Russia's latest expansions, the problems in its infrastructure are becoming ever more prominent. There are goods and wealth being moved all the way across Eurasia, but the nation simply can't handle it all. The wartorn Astrakhan and remote Siberia are particularly problematic, but still invaluable centers of trade. Pozharski, keeping the best interests of his fellow Traders in mind, decides to devote more resources to the issue rather than simply abandon either position.

While Russia's undivided attention has allowed Stadacona to thrive, the Republic feels a need for more diversified efforts. However, for that to be possible, more migrants are needed. Thinking of ways to motivate the populace, it doesn't take long to figure out what both Siberia and America have in abundance: land! Promising every colonist a free tract of property to call their own costs next to nothing but is invaluable as a motivator.

Though Siberia obviously hasn't been forgotten, there's no real competition for it and America seems much more lucrative, prompting the government to focus on the west for now and found a second colony just across the St. Lawrence River, in the lands of the Etchemin people.

Russia as a whole sees some major reforms to help her recover from these hard times and make it even stronger in the future. The most important change is the final abolition of the Kormlenije system, a despised artifact from Novgorod's darker times which allowed local authorities to collect their salary as additional taxes directly from the populace. Though its use had waned anyway, some more conservative or simply greedy people were still abusing it, and finally banning it is an important symbolic gesture.

More spitefully happy news for Russia's traders! Beavers and other important fur animals have all but disappeared from most of Europe due to overhunting. While rather problematic for those Westerners, it's nothing but good news for Russia, which still has them in abundance and is now free to sell them for even higher prices due to increased demand and lack of competition.

Southern Russia suffers an aftershock of rebellion in 1571; the brutal way the last one was put down has left the survivors with both a big grudge and more experience. The army, having recovered quite well, is sent in to deal with it before they gain too much of a foothold.

On the more positive side, Etchemins reports a variety of fur animals available in the area. While there are some small differences, the animals seem quite similar to their cousins in Europe. Hopefully there's still enough exoticity to hike the price up a bit.

Stadacona has attracted many migrants even from outside Russia and is already ready to be declared the first official city and province of Russian America! It's grown quite large indeed, becoming without question the largest settlement in the area. Pozharski wishes to keep strengthening the surrounding area, choosing the place the next colony a bit further inland in Maisouna. The area borders the territory of the peculiarly prosperous Cree tribe; Pozharski definitely has something in mind for their future.

Russia's growing prestige increases both internal and external demand for all forms of art as well as her citizens' inspiration for creating it. However, it often seems like there simply aren't enough competent artists and definitely not enough education for every talented youngster. Plans have been made for the Pozharski Academy of Novgorod, a proper school of the arts that'll provide quality education and a good way for the state to manipulate the final product if ever necessary.

As January 1572 arrives, the rebels are yet to be subdued but their defeat is inevitable. The colonists are on their way to Maisouna and the overall mood is very optimistic. It's time to see if Pavel Pozharski gets to remain Konsul for another term.

Konsul Pavel Pozharski is very happy to see Sweden defeated and those American colonies getting off to such a good start. If he were reelected, he would make sure to ensure Russian merchants' and common peoples' interests in the colonies as well as on the continent.

Feofan Apraxine of the Guilds thinks colonization is all well and good, but should not be distract Russia from other important issues that will work in its favor in the long run. A stranglehold on Scandinavia has been obtained and must be pushed further; if Russia really wants to focus on those colonies, the critical North Sea route must be secured.

Afanasiy Kasimovskiy of the Traders is literally just getting ready to ship off to serve as the Mayor of Stadacona. He has no real interest in becoming Konsul anyway.

Nikifor Beketov of the Aristocrats is baffled by the others' longstanding willingness to leave the large hordes on Russia's doorstep unaddressed. Even if they look rather large on some maps, they are all backwards and weak, just waiting for righteous Russia to stake its claim on all of Northern Eurasia!

Vote for the seventh Konsul here! [CLOSED; click to view results]

Show
    I'm having disturbingly little trouble imagining Russian spoken in a Canadian accent.

I think we have to make the final choice for the colonial nation's name. I currently have five primary ideas:
    • West Siberia (short for West Siberian Company)
    • Radomirgrad (after the area's explorer)
    • Pavelgrad (after the Konsul who founded the first settlement)
    • ???grad (after the Konsul who founds the nation itself)
    • [Russian-Word]grad (something vaguely appropriate)
    • Kanuckistan made me laugh, but might not be exactly appropriate.

Or something entirely different. All you have to do is convince me. At least helping me choose would be nice... If we choose a -grad, I'll also rename Stadacona to match.
    (If I understood right, whether -grad or -gorod is used depends on the stress of the word, the various Novgorods being basically the only example of the latter?)

Europe highlights:
    France is attacking England, trying to continue its conquest of the Isles.
    The Ottomans and Timurids keep on blobbin'.

America highlights:
    Due to a combination of the native encounter event and a mission I took, Stadacona has a base tax of 6.1, two higher than normal. yay for numbers
    Scotland is very close to finishing its fifth colony and founding Nova Scotia.
    (The Cree province Hochelega is really rich by the way, its 7 base tax is probably the biggest in North America. It's located around modern Ottawa, right?)
    Last edited by SilverLeaf167; 2015-01-18 at 09:45 AM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

I vote for naming it Burlewgrad
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Voted to re-elect Konsul Pozharski, though the expansionist plans of the Aristocrats have some merit. There's land for the taking in the steppe; with a full treasury and no shortage of manpower, solidifying our hold on the Astrakhan trade shouldn't pose an issue. I don't have an opinion on the name for the colonial nation.

I like the flavor text you write for the various ideas and technologies; you always do a nice job of making the same mechanics we've seen many times sound organic and appropriate for the situation.

What are the other options for the "Families Left Behind" event? I've never seen that one pop up before.
    ithilanor on Steam.

21. - Top - End - #111

Quote Originally Posted by SilverLeaf167 View Post
    Or something entirely different. All you have to do is convince me. At least helping me choose would be nice... If we choose a -grad, I'll also rename Stadacona to match.
    (If I understood right, whether -grad or -gorod is used depends on the stress of the word, the various Novgorods being basically the only example of the latter?)
    The -gorod suffix is an ancient Slavic form from when there were a lot more vowels than usual; this was changed due to Nordic and Germanic influences and became -grad (compare German -gart, as in Stuttgart).

However, when using -grad you have to change the original word slightly, so it would be Radomirograd or Pavlograd. There are other candidate suffixes such as -ovsk (Radimirovsk, Pavlovsk) or -ovo, which would (appropriately) denote more of a village than a proper urban center (Radimirovo, Pavlovo). It is also possible to simply call it with the name, sans suffix. The relatively common "-burg" suffix would be fairly inappropriate, however - we do not have the German connections that the Romanov dynasty developed.

However, it's not likely that the settlements would be named after the discoverer. Political leaders are much more common, but most common are saints and angels. Since Pavel is the Russian form of Paul, this works doubly well, although we would have to call it Sankt-Pavlovsk/St. Pavlovsk or Svyatoj Pavel in such an event.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2015-01-16 at 08:03 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Colonies in America are well and exciting, but what use are they to us if the trade from them only goes to the English Channel? I say follow Apraxine, so that the North Sea trade area will be ours alone by seizing Scandinavia.

23. - Top - End - #113

I like the flavor text you write for the various ideas and technologies; you always do a nice job of making the same mechanics we've seen many times sound organic and appropriate for the situation.

What are the other options for the "Families Left Behind" event? I've never seen that one pop up before.
    Thanks, I do try It's hard sometimes because we've also already covered them with Tibet, but at least there's a very different cultural context here.
    The other options are a) -20% Manpower and b) +2 (?) unrest. I think the event triggers when you simply get low enough on manpower.

The -gorod suffix is an ancient Slavic form from when there were a lot more vowels than usual; this was changed due to Nordic and Germanic influences and became -grad (compare German -gart, as in Stuttgart).

However, when using -grad you have to change the original word slightly, so it would be Radomirograd or Pavlograd. There are other candidate suffixes such as -ovsk (Radimirovsk, Pavlovsk) or -ovo, which would (appropriately) denote more of a village than a proper urban center (Radimirovo, Pavlovo). It is also possible to simply call it with the name, sans suffix. The relatively common "-burg" suffix would be fairly inappropriate, however - we do not have the German connections that the Romanov dynasty developed.

However, it's not likely that the settlements would be named after the discoverer. Political leaders are much more common, but most common are saints and angels. Since Pavel is the Russian form of Paul, this works doubly well, although we would have to call it Sankt-Pavlovsk/St. Pavlovsk or Svyatoj Pavel in such an event.
    Great insight and interesting as always!
    Sankt-Pavlovsk sounds pretty good to me.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

I like Radomirovsk. Always s fan of naming CNs after their explorers.

Awesome avatar by Eldan.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Honouring our explorers is good for encouraging further results, but we must consider everyone's contributions. Surely Konsul Pavel's efforts in establishing the West Siberia colonies are more deserving of recognition than the mere act of following a Scottish ship across the ocean.

And Sankt-Pavlovsk has a nice ring to it, too.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I third Sankt-Pavlovsk.

27. - Top - End - #117

Part 16: The Beautiful Territory
    24th of January, 1572

Spoiler
    Show
    Feofan Apraxine is the runner-up with a respectable amount of votes, but the incumbent Pavel Pozharski still gets almost twice as many and is reelected to continue as the sixth Konsul of Russia.

The last separatist armies in Astrakhan are defeated and their garrisons will soon fall as well. However, revolt still stews in certain other areas, including old Prussia and Circassia. Workers around the country have chosen the army's unjust requisition of their wares as a scapegoat for their misery. Pavel Pozharski decides to try and calm them down with a tax relief rather than have another Strife on his hands.

The merchant class notices these workers pressuring the state, however, and decides to offer the state some recompensation for its efforts to maintain peace.

Scotland has come to the same conclusion as Russia about overseas government and released their colonies under the management of Nova Scotia. Word is that England, Castile and Portugal have also done the same in other parts of the New World.

Bolstered by Russia's endless conflict, military innovation takes a new step. To make up for changes in siege equipment and tactics, a new sort of fort has been drawn up which deflects cannon fire with its lack of a straight facade and allows its defenders to fire in every direction with its starlike protrusions. Also important is a new turn in cavalry composition: with the introduction of firearms, they used to be headed in a lighter direction due to the futility of armor against bullets. However, the military is now instead experimenting with armor heavy enough to protect the rider from firearms, favoring more aggressive charge tactics.

The navy sees major reforms as well. Russia's acquisition of land beyond the ocean has changed the way it must view its fleet. While it has always been vital to trade, it's now even more important for transporting troops and protecting larger sea zones. Thus, the naval administration has been reformed into a more effective system to allow a much larger amount of vessels.

On a somewhat smaller level, the Ushkuiniks are up for resurrection: a company of fearsome raiders drawing inspiration from Kiev's Varangian founders. They used to scour the seas and rivers under Novgorod's command, but Muscovite expansion forced them to cease their operation. With Muscovy long gone, it's about time for them to resume their plundering! Flying ambiguous flags, they can capture ships and wares from Russia's rivals.

In addition, Russia's colonialist policies have come to their logical conclusion: she has the right and the responsibility to conquer any and all pagan natives encountered. It is only right that they be brought to civilization and have their souls saved through Christ.

Indeed, Pozharski already has a target or two in mind. The Mikmaq tribe in Sipeknekatik, near Nova Scotia, is surprisingly rich and prosperous yet vulnerable. Diplomacy with these larger tribes has been futile, so there is no choice but to take the area by force.

War is declared in February 1574, if you can even call it that.

An army has already been shipped over and is ready to land. The native warriors evade combat by fleeing their lands and heading inland, but general Pavel Dubenski doesn't particularly mind. He leaves a detachment of troops in the area and goes around by ship; he believes they're headed for Russia's colonies.

The natives reach Etchemins before he does, but the colonial guards therein manage to hold them off long enough for Dubenski to arrive. They still manage to do some raiding in the area, setting construction progress back quite a bit.

The enemy is now utterly defeated, though. This first war had some awkward moments, but Russia predictably triumphed. The colonies will have to be better defended in the future. The Mikmaq are forced to accept their full subjugation and given the choice between fleeing to the the west or staying in Russian society. Very few choose the latter.

Nonetheless, the area is quite fertile and full of game. It does border Nova Scotia, but neither Scotland nor its colony really pose a threat to great Russia. With that, the army is shipped back to Europe.

Daniil Mensjikov, the Konsul's loyal advisor in mercantile matters, approaches him with an intriguing offer. Though Russia's economy is recovering and never went anywhere near bankruptcy, the army's devastation in the Strife and afterwards was still quite a hit on the coffers. Even worse, it has weakened Russian merchants' position in the disputed areas. He has plans to fix the situation... but it will require Pozharski's direct cooperation. He is happy to accept; what is a merchant republic's highest purpose if not trade and wealth?

The settlement in Etchemins graduates to a proper town, becoming the third Russian province in the area if one counts Sipeknekatik. Expansion continues along the coast into Maliseet. In related matters, excavations in Maisouna soon discover large iron deposits.

As Russia's population spreads and grows, there are obviously more mouths to feed. However, much of the country's interior is unsuitable for farming and even the more hospitable areas tend to have problems with terrain. However, with technological improvements, at least one of those hurdles can be overcome by draining swamps and other wetlands to make space for crops.

Pozharski decides to go after an easy target rather than let the large armies stay idle. Gazikumukh is a populous yet weak and unallied Shia nation in the Caucasus. Even better, they're currently at war with their neighbor Imereti, distracting them further.

The enemy is rather pathetic compared to Russia.

Russian troops spread across enemy territory. Gazikumukh's army crosses over into Russia, only to be defeated, sent back and chased down.

With those soldiers out of the way, countrywide sieging can proceed in peace.

Even with the current war going on, Russia's shift in focus to economy and colonization frustrates its aristocrats to no end, especially as they've had little success in the elections as of late. They're planning another romanticized, old-fashioned revolution, but aren't especially subtle about it. Pozharski is warned about their plans and is able to ready the army, defeating the rebels in June 1578.

However, Pozharski himself is slain in the battle. The council votes for Lazar Orlov of the Guilds to replace him as the seventh Konsul.

Pozharski and his policies were very popular, so it's recommended to Orlov that he copy them as much as he can, but also focus on his own field of expertise.

With his rise to power, the Traders' long dominion is finally broken and the Guilds rise to new prominence.

With the Guilds and Traders' surprisingly benign cooperation, a new sort of pier is designed. Instead of only acting as spots for ships to anchor themselves, the platforms could be made larger and sturdier, allowing for more extensive construction on top of them. This seemingly simple change would allow ships to load, unload and distribute their wares much more effectively and keep the docks running like clockwork.

Under Orlov's leadership, the war against Gazikumukh comes to an end in December 1578. However, as the area is rather large and these Caucasians are notoriously hard to directly subjugate, he instead opts to force them into vassalage.

This forces Russia to join their war against Imereti, but that's quite okay, as they were the next target anyway. Their army is easily defeated and their lands occupied.

In America, Scotland's colonization efforts move off the islands and onto the mainland, and France suddenly joins the struggle for land as well. It is vital that Russia secure a connection between Sipeknekatik and the other provinces.

After occupying the whole country, Orlov makes peace with Imereti in May 1580. They are forced to cede two provinces to Russia and two to Kazikumukh, sparing Russia the trouble of integrating them.

These Georgians might be bullheaded, but at least they're small in number, make damn good wine and worship in the proper way.

The settlement in Maisouna becomes self-sustaining, allowing Russia to focus her efforts on that road to Sipeknekatik.

In addition, Orlov decides it's about time to see what's down south. The small squadron of ships stationed in the colonies is sent to investigate, led by explorer Bogdan Petrov. What they discover is a long, rugged coastline with seemingly fertile land, some tribes – and no Europeans. Only some islands to the far south, off the mainland, have English and Portuguese colonies. This coastline just might be Russia's best choice after the north is secured.

As Maliseet is finished in August 1582, it's about time for the territory to be given its proper autonomy. In addition, until now, even the ready towns and provinces have simply been referred to by their native names; however, this is Russia now, and they need Russian names. Stadacona is renamed St. Pavlovsk in honor of the apostle Paul, the greatest of missionaries; it's also a fitting reference to the two Pavels who explored and settled the region. Etchemins is named Troynoyreki, Maisouna becomes Meriograd and Maliseet becomes Rimouski. Finally, Sipeknekatik is renamed Radomirovo after the first Russian man to sail to America.

The territory as a whole is named after the capital St. Pavlovsk. Due to its unique location and history, it shall be effectively autonomous from the rest of the country, but still subservient and tributary. It will also be able to organize its own expansion efforts, though most of them will still fall to Russia due to the territory's limited resources. The plan is to at least connect the two halves by settling Madawaska before heading elsewhere.

It doesn't take long for Governor Skopin to start pushing the boundaries of his autonomy. Due to lack of other suitable partners, they've started trading with France and Scotland's colonies, which is all well and good, but in doing so they don't always pay attention to Russia's mercantilist laws. Either way, Orlov recognizes their unique situation and decides to make an exception to the rules.

After all, individual towns and cities are obviously Russia's most vital organs. However, especially in a country this large, it can be hard to keep them all working properly. With extended infrastructure, it'll be easier to keep track of them and ensure everything functions as it should.

The Caucasus has left Orlov with a taste for conquest. No matter how much the Aristocrats boast, the hordes have formidable allies, and so he decides to move the troops north and invade Norway for a change, securing Russia's vulnerable enclaves in their and Denmark's territory.

The armies cross the border, fight a few battles and start getting into position. One division manages to drive the Danish back onto their islands and block their crossing back into Skεne when Orlov suddenly gets seriously sick at camp and dies in April 1584. The council hastily convenes to elect a successor.

Mikhail Godunov of the Guilds wants to finish what Orlov started and strengthen Russia's "springboard to America" in the North Sea. After that, however, it would be wise to avoid gratuitous bloodshed and instead focus on making sure the whole nation's assets are secured. Though our manpower has recovered, they can hardly be called "reserves" since they could very well be drained by a single bad war.

Fyodor Atlasov of the Traders wants to put more investment into Russia's trade home and abroad. A lot of new interesting plans have been made, but nobody bothers funding them! All these companies and jetties and canals don't do anything on the drawing table. There are plenty of trade cities they would greatly benefit! Other than that, he wants to focus on Siberia for a minute now that St. Pavlovsk has gotten on its feet. There are great riches (and more impressive borders) to be found there.

Mark Rebrov of the Aristocrats wants to take a more direct approach to colonization: Scotland is weak and so is Nova Scotia, making for easy and ready-made additions to St. Pavlovsk! Seizing their islands or at least driving them off the mainland would be a piece of cake. After that, Russia would have an even better position and one less competitor for the domination of North America.

In addition, as Russia's colonialist career has taken off and the entire nation is Orthodox for the first time in decades, it is definitely time to choose a new agenda – though these old principles won't be entirely abandoned, of course, the nation needs to keep developing.

Many want to keep focusing on Russia's Expansion in both the colonial and economical sense. By allocating more and better resources to that agenda, it would be possible for the colonies to expand even more quickly and for traders to exert their influence over a wider area.

Trade is indeed extremely important as Russia's traditional and de facto lifeblood. In fact, it's about time we give it the attention it deserves! By experimenting with new policies and privileges, we could spread our hegemony all over Europe and America and gather all their wealth in Novgorod!

Some want to go on the Defensive in matters of warfare. While expansion is naturally our main goal, our great armies tend to take equally great losses in the process. By focusing on organization, training and logistics, we could defend our poor soldiers from the enemy, the environment and stupid officers.

Vote for the eighth Konsul here! [CLOSED; click to view results]
    Vote for the fourth Idea Group here! [CLOSED; click to view results]

Show
    Felt like doing a longer chapter and had the time, so here you go.

Global Empire's description has always seemed a little misplaced. Is it a remnant of some now-removed effect?

I decided to start naming colonial provinces with weird corruptions and translations of their modern and historical names. Plenty of artistic license taken. Feel free to comment if they're particularly atrocious or you have better ideas. New York will definitely need something interesting.
    I'm going to cut down on screenshots of every single new colony though.

By the way, what are these natives using as cavalry mounts? Moose?

Europe highlights:
    Bashkiria expanded and shifted vassalage to Uzbek.
    France's expansion has stopped and they've actually taken minor losses.

America highlights:
    As mentioned, France joined the race for America. Their province is actually in Colonial Eastern America and not Canada, though.
    Last edited by SilverLeaf167; 2015-01-21 at 02:55 AM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

How are we doing on the trade dominance front, anyways? It'd be kind of a waste to go with the Trade ideas if we already have ALL the Trade Power and a billion ducats per month in trade income, but if more money would provide a tangible benefit beyond just buying a new diving board for our McDuck-style money pool, it may very well be worth it. Either way, Defensive seems like a bit of a waste unless we're absolutely drowning in MilMP.

invade Norway for a change
    for a change
    Heh.
    Hehehee.
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119

How are we doing on the trade dominance front, anyways? It'd be kind of a waste to go with the Trade ideas if we already have ALL the Trade Power and a billion ducats per month in trade income, but if more money would provide a tangible benefit beyond just buying a new diving board for our McDuck-style money pool, it may very well be worth it. Either way, Defensive seems like a bit of a waste unless we're absolutely drowning in MilMP.
    We dominate most nodes within our actual territory, but the North Sea is controlled by Hansa and more is always more anyways.

On the other hand, I think the worth of money in this game is kind of binary as a whole: you need just enough for your military, advisors and bad events, but beyond that, there's nothing but buildings, and monarch points are actually the bigger expense for those. We're normally at about +10 gold per month, but the war took it slightly into the negatives. Building more manufactories would be nice, but on the other hand, the only thing those produce is more money.

Heh.
    Hehehee.
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Hey, it's only the second time, if you think about it
    Last edited by SilverLeaf167; 2015-01-18 at 11:59 AM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

Use the money to subsidize St. Pavlovsk. That way they build over their FL and attack natives.

Awesome avatar by Eldan.