New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 49 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [BitPRē] Mortal World IV

[Kuzunoha Safehouse]

Naito's hand lashes out towards Shinhee, but abruptly alters course mid-air until it's between the shikigami and Katsuo.

"I don't think so. We'll take it to him directly. I will if Katsuo can't."
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Orc in the Playground

[Ikari, Kuzunoha HQ]

Shinhee turns towards Naito, and if his expression could actually be puzzled, it would.

"If you go berserk from this, there's a chance not even the Sanctuary's spells will stop you, ho. We need Tobioka to monitor hees vitals and apply healing spells. And Katsuo's barely hanging on as it hee-is.

If I go crazy, I don't have any means to counteract the Sanctuary, hee-ho. All you'll have to deal with is a tiny snowman with Shinji's mindset on crack.

I understand if you don't trust me, Naito-kun, but under the circumstances I can't trust hee-you either."
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

3. - Top - End - #423

[Ikari]
    Kuzunoha HQ

"Shaya told us about the history of Onmyouji copying their personalities into Shikigami. I don't know a whole lot about this mumbo-jumbo crap, but I'm not taking the risk of you stealing the Sesshouseki's power. I don't care if you don't trust me, and I don't care how we deal with it, but you are never getting your hands on that thing."

Naito winces for a fraction of a second.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Orc in the Playground

[Ikari - Kuzunoha HQ]

"Well, I guess you have a perfectly good reason.

I won't disrespect your decision, but there are a couple of things you should know.

One, even if I got my hands on it, I couldn't really do anything with the se-ho-seki. I don't have spellcasting powers of my own. Worst it could do is turn me into a little psychopath in a confined space that doesn't allow violence of any kind, even accidental, hee-ho. I can't leave the Sanctuary for more than a couple of hours at a time, either. If you're concerned about what I can do with Shinji's knowledge, that's kinda flattering, though it'd mean I just hee-had several hours unsupervised wherein I could have done a lot of different, nasty things.

Two, Shinji has hard-wired a few conditions into my spell effect that make sure I don't turn on hee-you. If I become too different from him, I dissipate. If I'm corrupted, I dissipate.

And finally, the Sesshouseki can only act upon living souls, hee-ho. I don't qualify even as an artificial one."

"If you're quite done bickering, there is a simple solution. We could use seals upon the Sesshouseki to ensure its radiating malice doesn't contaminate anyone." Tobioka answered quite simply. "Why you did not allow Shaya enough time to proceed with that is beyond me."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

5. - Top - End - #425

[Kuzunoha HQ]

Naito's head snaps towards Tobioka, but the gaze cast onto the doctor isn't...actively hostile, which is probably an improvement compared to before the retrieval.

"No idea. She didn't bring it up."

6. - Top - End - #426
    Orc in the Playground

[Ikari - Kuzunoha Sanctuary]

"The Sanctuary should be able to withhold that kind of effect while I seal it up. If you guys could wait just a few minutes... why don't you go on to the infirmary in the meantime? You REALLY look like you could use some rest."

Whether or not Naito acquiesces, Tobioka makes it a point to ready his seals and summon the Shikigami that will affix them away from the Sekkiseki itself.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #427

[Ikari]
    Kuzunoha Sanctuary

Naito is silent for a long while, before finally shrugging angrily.

"I can't rest here. Hurts too much."

Naito spins on one heel and heads towards the exit of the compound.
    Last edited by Dorizzit; 2015-08-30 at 10:37 AM.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Orc in the Playground

[Kuzunoha Sanctuary]

"You sure, ho? Shinji will be waking up soon. Thanks to you guys, we have all we need."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #429

[Kuzunoha Sanctuary]

Naito stops moving, but doesn't look back at the construct.

"Yeah. I'm sure. Nothing left I can do to help."

Naito continues walking away.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Orc in the Playground

[Kuzunoha Sanctuary]

"Fine by hee. You go and get some rest then.

Shaya told me to get you her number... in case that seal she placed on you wasn't working, hee-ho. Check your cell later."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #431

[Kuzunoha Safehouse]

"Yeah, whatever."

Naito departs.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Orc in the Playground

[Ikari, Japan]
    (Kuzunoha Safehouse)

Katsuo stands there staring blankly while holding the sesshouheki for a while as the conversation folds out.

...in fact it looks a lot like he was barely paying attention at all. To him, a lot of it was just... muffled, like he was underwater. But eventually he snaps back to attention. "Um, sorry... what?" He sees Naito leaving and doesn't say any more. It looks like maybe he might want to, but, he just lets his friend go.

Yep, definitely something considerably off today.

[Tokyo, Japan]
    (Von Geister Manor - The Lab)

"And you're the most boring boring boring prisoner ever! And you cheat! Cheater!" She spits on the glass, causing it to sizzle a bit.

(The Chase)

The soldier-assassins do in fact deign to set off the traps from a distance, but... that's actually all they do. One of them radios in.

"Trap is set, rabbit is in the cage." Katou smirks from the other end, looking over a set of monitors and typing in a command.

>lockdown start facility3445
    "Lockdown initiated."

Margrave might begin to regret his decision as barriers akin to a Gritz casting manifest around the entire building, blocking off windows, doors, and reinforcing walls and the ceiling. And what is being used to power the barrier? Ambient reishi, including all of that inside of the building, and out.

And then the gas pours in from the ventilation. Bodies begin to react sluggishly to commands.

Most annoying, is the laughing echoing through compact speakers hidden around the apartment building.

"HAH! Do you really think that we wouldn't have insurance? This 'safehouse' and all of the safehouses we tracked that bitch to were secretly reinforced to trap her. And maybe we missed her, but what would work on her damn well would work on you. Check mate, you ignorant Anderson scum."

Yoshiro begins to flag almost immediately. "...I am beginning to regret my slight attraction to that woman."
    Last edited by strawberryman; 2015-09-01 at 11:57 AM.
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Rebornē characters!
    Madokapunk!

13. - Top - End - #433
    Orc in the Playground

[The Kuzunoha Sanctuary]

"Katsu-ho. Really man... I'll see you to a bed, ho-kay?" The little snowman looks genuinely concerned.

[Tokyo, Japan]

"You are aware that kettles are black, right?"

[The chase]

"Don't beat yourself up too badly. She's gonna want you in one piece when she gets you back.

As for me, I really, really hate this plan."

Before he can be asked what the hell Margrave's talking about, the Reishi golem body he built himself to run around and fight dissipates and the apparent ten-year-old collapses to the ground.
    Last edited by Kuroimaken; 2015-09-01 at 09:45 PM.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ettin in the Playground

[Tokyo - on a nearby rooftop]

Mr. Akiyama hears the radio transmission informing him that the trap has been sprung. Katou's assassins turned out to be suprisingly competent. "Roger. Asking permission to leave", he speaks to his own communicator. Hopefully they'll just let him off the hook this time so he can continue his pursuit of the Abomination.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

15. - Top - End - #435

[Ikari]
    Kuzunoha Safehouse -> Rooftop

As soon as Naito exits the Kuzunoha compound, the Quincy's Reiatsu flares and they launch into the sky. Within a few minutes, Naito arrives at the intended destination; the rooftop of a large building in the middle of downtown. A building where, not so long ago, Naito had once been swept up by a Hollow. Before any of this started. Naito makes no particular effort in landing gracefully, Hierro more than sufficient to absorb the light impact as Naito tumbles to a stop, sprawled out and looking up at the sky.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ettin in the Playground

[Tokyo, Japan]
    (Von Geister Manor - The Lab)

It is an amusing exchange between Felicia and Toki.

"Well, aren't you two just getting along nicely, could I get to see the vaunted scenario where one of the heroes woos the villain's beautiful daughter into an unlikely romance? Hohoho."

Von Geister slithers into the room.

"Probably not. Felicia is much too young for that, I will have to locate the souls of my elder daughters if I am not see such a riveting tale unfold."

And then he looms over Toki.

"Kuzunoha Toki, was it? Allow me to introduce myself properly, I am Erscheinung Von Geister. Are you comfortable? Can I offer you anything? Tea? A juice perhaps? Some croquettes?"

Well, isn't that just gracious.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

17. - Top - End - #437
    Orc in the Playground

[Tokyo, Japan]

(Von Geister Manor - the Lab)

Felicia may be a little too immature to understand, but there's the most minuscule twitch in Toki's eyes when Von Geister addresses him. Although the Old Ghost is acting entirely non-threatening, Toki appears to be far too wary of what it means to have a conversation with what is tantamount to Death itself made manifest.

Were Felicia not under the effects of his spell, he's not so sure that this is the tone the conversation would take. In spite of this, he manages to fake a perfectly calm demeanor. Either he knows something Geister doesn't, or he's braver than he looks.

"Pleased to make your acquaintance. Amusing as that scenario may prove, I doubt I would be the most adequate pair for your daughter. I'm much too old, myself. But who knows, perhaps when the Grandmaster wakes up he might appreciate waiting a few years to court her?

And I'm good, thanks. Low intake diet. These days I regulate my body to waste as little energy as possible, anyway."
    Last edited by Kuroimaken; 2015-09-12 at 10:10 AM.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ettin in the Playground

[Tokyo, Japan]

It would be wise to voice no such claims, they might be most insulting.

"Well, that is one way to live. Personally I am used to some gluttonous eaters. Never quite got into the fad myself, of course."

Von Geister brings up a chair for himself.

"Anyway, you look comfortable enough, so lets get right to talking. Why did your people think it was a sensible idea to interfere with my work? I am really curious here."
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

19. - Top - End - #439
    Orc in the Playground

[Tokyo, Japan]

"Were the Shiki in my stead he might ask you the same thing, sir.

Put simply, the conflict between Hollowkind and the Shinigami is indeed none of our concern. In that regard, I can understand how our attitude may have seemed... spurious, to say the least.

I take it I need not explain that there are more supernatural creatures in this world than Hollows and Pluses, yes?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ettin in the Playground

[Tokyo, Japan]

"More than before I began my craft, less than before Izanami. And not many more now than since last I was allowed to work in relative peace."
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

21. - Top - End - #441
    Orc in the Playground

[Tokyo, Japan]

"Well, I lack the benefit of perspective when it comes to quantifying the amount of activity of what we collectively call ayakashi. Suffice it to say, as far as we are aware, their activity is considerably lesser than it used to be as of the time of our family's founder.

But perhaps more to the point, their activity does fall under our purview and responsibility, unlike with the Hollows. And unfortunately, the activity of ayakashi does tend to increase towards violence when large quantities of minus energy are present. Some even metabolize it and turn them into active spiritual biohazards such as miasma - well, I'm sure you've more than enough experience in that field yourself.

Kuzunoha Shiki saw fit to interfere with your work because he saw an unbalancing element to our work... which as far as the Shinigami could tell us proved only a minor inconvenience for your forces, did it not?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ettin in the Playground

[Tokyo, Japan]

Masses of teeth gnash across the walls.

"It cost me dozens if of servants and one of less than a dozen powerful retainers. Plus weeks of construction work and the compromise of several facilities we own. No, it was not a minor inconvenience to my forces."

"But I am a patient man. Enough to mildly understand if you lot are that worried about trifle pests when you are quite used to their spread spelling a threat to the blind and the ignorant. But you lot ignored a key fact."

Von Geister conjures a larva. It appears from the lashing tail and twitching legs before having a body shaped to connect all of the parts together.

"I have hundreds of mortal men and women in my service who can see and squash these vermin without issue. Most gathered in those very same demesnes you thought would become a problem. I can and intend to uplift man into use of the spiritual under my tutelage."

"That is, if I don't have to stop too often in order to squash death gods and their bedfellows."
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

23. - Top - End - #443
    Orc in the Playground

[Tokyo, Japan]

For some reason, Toki smiles at the reaction. He does make an effort to hide it, but Geister certainly knows better.

"You'll have to excuse us for not being particularly fond of your methods. Especially since you're ignoring a key fact yourself, Erscheinung Von Geister.

As I said before, our quarrel is not with you. What you choose to do in fighting the Shinigami is entirely your problem. The Kuzunoha work is meant to foment balance and peaceful coexistence with the spiritual creatures dwelling on the land. Especially given our origin. I'm sure you can see why at a glance.

We do not seek out devils to kill or imprison them. We seek the path of least conflict. Which is not to say we abhor it. Nor do we stand idly by when someone seeks to undo our work, no matter the pretense or power he wields."

Geister might remember they DID try diplomacy first. And it wasn't the Kuzunoha who slew Alexandra.

EDIT:

[Ikari, Japan]

There's a new message on the phone for both Katsuo and Naito (even though the former has likely spent the night at the Sanctuary).

"It's Shinhee.

Shinji prolly wake up soon ho.
    Last edited by Kuroimaken; 2015-09-21 at 03:26 PM.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #444
    Orc in the Playground

[The Kuzunoha Sanctuary]

When Naito and Katsuo arrive at Shinji's room, there are two very unusual things they might notice.

First, Shinhee looks dead serious for the first time they've ever seen him. The snowman shikigami's expression of seemingly unchanged smile is turned into a frown.

Second, the sekkiseki they've worked so hard to obtain is glowing, floating and emitting a light ringing sound.

"Oh, guys. Glad you could make it, hee-ho.

The sekkiseki is resonating with Shinji... it shouldn't be long now."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #445

[Kuzunoha Sanctuary]
    Shinji's Room

Naito grunts and takes a few steps to the right, leaning up against the wall next to the door with arms folded.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Orc in the Playground

[The Kuzunoha Sanctuary]

"It's... starting." Shinhee's voice is strangled. Sad. It's not difficult to imagine why; once Shinji awakens, he'll be dismissed. Back to nothingness.

With an ominous hum, the sekkiseki's ringing starts turning louder. Faint pulses of power start radiating from it, distorting the very air around them, like the heartbeat of a giant. Naito can feel something akin to a pressure reminiscent of the invasive radiations he suffered from the first time he touched the stone. Yet, the energies wash over him harmlessly; it appears that, having confronted his darker side once thanks to the stone, he now has something of an immunity.

"Naito... it was a very brief time, but I'm glad I had the chance to know you all. I'm really glad, hee-ho. I know I put you guys through a lot.

And... I'm sorry, hee."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #447

[Kuzunoha Sanctuary]

Naito maintains a look of bored disinterest through the first part of the ritual, but after Shinhee apologizes Naito's eyes widen momentarily before the Quincy recoils, clearly in immense pain.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Orc in the Playground

[The Kuzunoha Sanctuary]

Shinhee himself doesn't seem to be feeling much better. The snowman doubles over holding his stomach, and what appears to be solid teardrops roll from his eyes.

"N...no... I c...can't... I gotta get out--"

With a pained cry, Shinhee's form grows taut as he stretches his face upwards. A pure darkness spreads through his body, as his body is wracked by anguish.

"...n...NO! I can't, I WON'T! I WON'T LET YOU! I... I... NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

As the darkness continues to overtake him, tears roll out of his eyes, a glint of despair in the back before his eyes turn to a shade of blood-red, and his mouth curves into a wicked smile of the same color.

"Aaaaaaaaah... MUCH better."

Standing up from his previous spot, the previously kind-looking snowman eyes Naito with a glint of soulless malice.

"Didn't really expect the resonance to work on you that way, but so much the better for me. Hee-hee-hee..."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #449

[Mortal World]
    Shinji's Room

Naito, one eye obscured by a clutching hand, looks up at the transformed Shikigami.

"Ex...plain."

30. - Top - End - #450
    Orc in the Playground

[Kuzunoha Sanctuary]

"Really, kiddo. You've got all the info you need. Do I need to walk you step by step?

It's simple physics. Shinji is me. I am Shinji. The two of us can't exist at the same time. So one of us has to go, hee-hee-hee..."

The snowman dashes forward and leaps onto the bed. His diminutive form stands besides Shinji's head.

"I am NOT going to disappear! With the sekkiseki's powers, I can absorb Shinji's abilities and become a real human... a real Kuzunoha.

And the best part is, this 'cage' isn't going to bother me! HEE-HEE-HEE-HO-HOOOOOOOOOOO!!"

Shinhee's hands glow red as he looks over Shinji's form...

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show