New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [BitPRē] Mortal World IV

Quote Originally Posted by Mahonri Violist View Post

[Ikari: Kuzunoha Compound]

Miya pressed herself against the wall as Katsuo ran past. No need to let him — or anyone else — see her.

She is the worst friend ever.
    And a minute or so later, she's bound to run into the one person who doesn't think so at the moment.

Hey, it's Mom-oko!

"Oh, there you are, darling. I've been looking for you. I thought we were gonna start our training today?"
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Mexico]
    [Chichen Itza]

"Well... if she's going to be this, you know, unusual I guess, I do think it'd be nice if she had at least a sister of the same age. Since, I mean, we don't really know if or when we'd be having more. I mean, if she's already going to be advanced for her age, she might have trouble really connecting if her oldest sister is a few years younger on top of that. Um. Just a thought though! We can just... see how things turn out, right? If you want to nudge the odds a little one way or the other, that's up to you! Well, um, and Von Geister I guess. But I think he'd be okay with it." Naomi nods a little to Umeko.

"Anyway, yeah, um. Thanks for the offer, but I think just a nice homeloan for someplace quiet in commuting distance would be nice. And... uh, if that's something you can actually do - I mean, put me in contact with a publisher or something, that would be amazing! I have a bunch of pitches, even some pretty much complete first issues, just... I'm, uh. Not so great at promoting my stuff. Or cooperating with publishers. They keep asking me to ruin the story! But uh. Something I'm trying to work on."
    Lovely Rita Mordio avatar by Zefir! Thank you!

Homebrew:

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

[Mexico]
    (Chichen Itza)

"Yes. Catering to standard markets do somewhat stifle authorial integrity. I could point you to an adequate publisher if you show me the text."

"And just to be forthright. I am, for all intents and purposes, life made manifest. Your treatments will result in high fertility, so expect multiples more often than not."

"Do you want some alone time to talk specifics with one another?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

[Mexico]
    (Chichen Itza)

"...oh. Um... " Umeko flounders at a response to the fertility comment, running a hand through her hair as she sighs. Still, when it comes to wanting a private moment, she nods, standing and grabbing a few sausages, taking Naomi by the hand and presumably leading her away but allowing her a few last words if she has them.

With that, munching on the sausages in silence for a few moments, Umeko goes over all of this in her head. But eventually... "...so, what do you think, now? I..." She looks down to her stomach idly, making an awkward motion to rub her hand across it... and instantly regretting it. It looked silly! Ugh.

"I..." Naomi can probably hear the struggle in her voice. "...I want to hear what you think, first."
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Rebornē characters!
    Madokapunk!

5. - Top - End - #35

[Mexico]
    [Chichen Itza]

Naomi leans against a tree, the solid trunk an anchor against this tide of insanity. She'd always liked trees.

"...the way I see it, this is sudden, but...we've still gotten a lot more warning than a lot of straight couples have? I mean, some part of me always hoped for kids, but I knew that even if the laws changed - and who knows if they're going to any time soon - it'd be a long involved mess of an adoption and she wouldn't be ours in that way, even if we loved her just as much. So I guess I kind of see this as... a chance, you know? An opportunity to do something sort of crazy, but also amazing? I love you more than anything, Ume. If you don't want to do this, that isn't going to change at all! But... um. If you do, then..."
    Naomi reaches down, holding one of Umeko's hands between both of her own, raising it up and beaming.

"...well, I mean, I've always been a sucker for crazy chances, right? And if you want to take this one with me then... I'm with you! A hundred and ten percent! All the way! So what if it's weird? So what if it's a chance afforded by some sort of ghostly baron who is honestly kind of creepy and can... I don't even know, Cronenberg critters with a wave of his hand? That doesn't chance what we actually have a chance to do here! And sure, it'll be hard, but you've always tackled hard stuff head-on, and together, I'm pretty sure we're up to basically anything! So... what do you say? Want to try something kind of insane?"

Homebrew:

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

[Mexico]
    (Chichen Itza)

Umeko gives a subdued smile as Naomi takes her hand, squeezing lightly with the motion. Throughout the entire speech, she's quiet, focusing all of her attention on her significant other. To tell herself the truth... she'd already made up her mind. And seeing this confidence and enthusiasm in Naomi, well...

Leaning in to brush the side of Naomi's head with her other hand, and planting a passionate kiss, Umeko sighs as she pulls back. It's not truly the same exasperated sigh she usually responds with, it is warmer and filled with a fraction of the emotion she's feeling right now. Her smile widens a bit as she looks straight into Naomi's eyes.

"...All right, Nao. I'm with you. I'll have your babies." There's a pause, and... Umeko suddenly breaks out into a snort, then a few moments of giggling. "...um, wow. That sounded a lot less awkward in my head." Pulling back a bit, she rubs her eyes and sighs again; a bit closer to her usual sigh, but it's tempered with the oddly happy way she's feeling.

"...I guess that's something I never really expected to say. But... yeah, let's do this."
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

7. - Top - End - #37

[Mexico]
    [Chichen Itza]

Naomi can't help but laugh along at the sheer absurdity of this whole situation. This had been a roller coaster of a couple of days, and... well, it'd be a lie to say she wasn't still confused as all get-out about some of this stuff, but there was a plan now. A plan Umeko approved of! A distinctly mad, sense-defying plan, yes, but a plan regardless - and there was no small measure of relief in that. Imbued with new purpose and conviction, Naomi returns the kiss before leading Umeko back on the short path back to the breakfast table and its accompanying deity of life.

"By all the gods, I love you so much! But well... awkward or not, we probably ought to let the Baron know. Assuming he doesn't already. I wouldn't put snooping past a ghost, but... what can you even do about that?" She rolls her eyes a little at that. "...still, this is thanks to him, I guess. And we probably shouldn't waste his time, if we're in agreement about this! There is... so, so much we need to plan out, and talk about, but it might be a good idea to do that when an elder god isn't waiting on it, you know?"

Homebrew:

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

[Mexico]
    (Chichen Itza)

Umeko threads her fingers with Naomi's, smiling as they return to the table. It admittedly does subdue itself in the presence of Thomas and Von Geister, but she still seems... okay with this, now.

"...All right. We'll take your offer." Well then.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

[Mexico]
    (Chichen Itza)

"Of course you do."

Of course.

"I believe expedience is in order then? To the lab, post haste!"

"Argos!"

Von Geister pulls himself up from his chair, and a mass of tendrils rips open a portal in the air behind him, into the darkness beyond.

And in he goes, followed hastily by Thomas, who silently urges the girls to follow.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

10. - Top - End - #40

[Mexico]
    [Chichen Itza]

Despite having just been teleported halfway around the world, Naomi still has to stare at the portal for a few moments in sheer awe at how blatantly impossible it ought to be. But she manages to power through it, shaking her head and walking through the gate with Umeko.

"Well... here goes."

Homebrew:

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

[Izumo, Japan]
    (???)

Katsuo blinks and looks back as they're followed...

"...um, hello?"

[Mexico]
    (Chichen Itza)

Umeko... also stares. I mean, it's not every day you see reality end and some kind of... infinite void of darkness begin. It was admittedly pretty frightening, but... squeezing Naomi's hand, and steeling herself, she nods to her significant other.

And presses forward.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryman View Post
    [Izumo, Japan]
    (???)

Katsuo blinks and looks back as they're followed...

"...um, hello?"
    The only response he gets is a tiny, scared 'squeak' as the shikigami hides further behind the pillar, which gives away his position.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

[The Void]
    (Nowhere)

"Walk straight and keep to the path. If you fall, Argos will catch you, but it is not an exact science to tell 'when' that will happen. All I can say is that I never met any of you before today, so we can discount the past."

Well then.

At least it is a very broad white road taking shape ahead of Von Geister's feet, and the tentacles with eyes and claws are quite numerous in this region of nowhen and nowhere.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

14. - Top - End - #44

[The Void]
    [Nowhere]

"...ummm...right. Okay. Don't fall, don't fall, got it. Right..."

Naomi takes a deep, steadying breath, trying not to focus on the aberrant surroundings. Still, she huddles close to Umeko for the duration of the trip, and curiosity drives her to peek at the mad beings more than a few times. On the bright side, she definitely had some interesting new ideas for the next time she had to draw a monster. Assuming she had the chance.

Homebrew:

15. - Top - End - #45

[Izumo]
    ???

Naito is significantly less polite than Katsuo. As soon as the Shikigami tries to hide, Naito instantly extends one hand towards it and launches a cero through the pillar, blasting most of it apart. Naito does, however, make sure not to hit the Shikigami itself.

"Show yourself."
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

It's an extraordinarily stupid idea for two reasons. One, there's a possibility that the pillar is actually load-bearing. Two, if it was somehow scared or shy of them before, now the shikigami is positively frightened, causing it to run screaming as fast as his two little legs can carry him - which indirectly grants Naito's wish, although not in the manner he meant for it to do.

Third, because the ground begins to rumble, and while it doesn't look like the cave mouth is going to fall on their heads... it still doesn't look good.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

[Izumo, Japan]
    (???)

Katsuo lets out a pained look as he suddenly grabs at Naito and pulls further on, in an attempt to get out of dodge. "Why did you do that?! If it meant us harm, it probably already would have done something, Naito!"

There's really not much to say here, that was an extremely silly thing to do.

[The Void]
    (???)

Umeko holds onto Naomi, as well, but her stance is tall and hardly reminiscent of fear. She's fighting it off, and pressing forward easily.

Yep. Not much more to say here either.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

...why are there two oni suddenly where before there was only air?

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

The Void

The trip lasts another five minutes, give or take. There isn't much to be said of infinite nothing.

Thomas splits off his own way a bit before the end of the trip.

The other end of the tunnel opens up into a room that is less surgery room and more laboratory, with several dozen flasks holding... Hmm... Parts inside.

Also a rather fancy metal arm on a small pedestal to the side. Doesn't match the rest of the place at all.

The most glaring thing in the room is probably a large vat of bubbling, slowly shifting, brown material, like a pool of thick algae.

"Well. There are gowns in that closet that you can use. I will be back in ten minutes, give or take, be careful with the flasks, I am not entirely sure if everything in them is dead."

With that, he is off.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

20. - Top - End - #50

[Izumo]
    ???

Naito goes along with Katsuo.

"Just making a point."

As the oni appear in the air, Naito seems unimpressed.

"Are you going to do anything, or just glare like my writing teacher?"

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

[??? - ZHE headquarters]
    Quote Originally Posted by cardrian View Post
    Torahiko feels different than before, and yet, strangely not much has changed. He checks his pocket, it's still there, good, it was just about the only thing he carried anymore that was actually his, his anchor in the chaos.

He feels even more indebted to the Zerreißen Himmel, seeing as they gave him all this training and equipment, and they've only shot him once so far.

More importantly, he feels his visions have improved, but he hasn't had the time to test that or get them under his control. He's tried explaining them to the Zerreißen Himmel, they were interested, but nothing has come of it yet. Well, nothing besides the whispers.

He feels a lot of things, mostly related to his new-found work with the Zerreißen Himmel.

He reacts promptly when addressed, it's the Nachfolger from a week ago, that's a pleasant surprise. "Yes, sir, I am." So today's when they're going to finish sealing off the hollow within his soul? Given the ritual where they started, he's probably going to have to knock down being shot to third most painful thing that's happened to him. And will this really let his use their holy arrows? Heilig Pfeil, at least an eighth of the training here must have been proper jargon, they were very insistent on the german language around here.

He prepares to follow them to wherever they're taking him now. Just who are they taking him to meet?
    Torahiko is taken into a part of the complex he's not been to before. It's full of people in white labcoats running about. He gets the feel it's some sort of a medical wing. Some of the rooms they go past have windows in them, and he can catch a glimpse of some humanoid figure wrapped in bandages being suspended in a chair with iron bands, with some doctors poking him with needles and electric prods. No sound can be heard, but based on jerking movements of the humanoid, it would be reasonable to presume the figure is in considerable pain and screaming bloody murder.

"Don't worry, you won't have to go through that", the Nachfolger assures him. "That procedure is only for special prisoners of war. We're just passing through to fetch another who will accompany you." They reach the end of the corridor, and the Nachfolger opens the door for Torahiko. Inside, there are two young medics, one maly and one female, and one really old dude with shaggy white hair who looks a bit like Albert Einstein with his eyes covered by black goggles. They all turn to look at the door in surprise.

"Is the patient ready?", the Nachfolger asks when he steps in. "We're going to need him for a presentation."

The old scientist lifts up his goggles and looks at the Nachfolger in bewilderment. Then, it hits him what it being talked about. "Ah, the patient. Yes, Herr Adler. The patient is ready. Do you need now or...?"

The Nachfolger nods. "Yes, now would be good." He beckons towards Torahiko. "Tachibana, please help the good doctor in moving the patient."

At this point, the two medics have brought a wheel chair to the room. It's covered by a white sheet, but it looks like there's someone sitting under it. The medics look expectingly at Torahiko. Apparently, he's meant to push the chair along while following the doctor and his savior, who is apparently called Adler. If and when he does as asked, he'll find the chair is pretty heavy - there must be someone on it.

---

[??? - ZHE headquarters]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahonri Violist View Post
    [Ikari Movie Studio]

Caeyrn gives one last good stare at the phone, as if staring at it will make it magically ring.

No.

It remains silent still. As much as he's loathe to do it, this means he'll have to ultimately call the shots that he's been avoiding for years. As often as he's been trying to avoid these spiritual politics and such, he keeps on being dragged back into them.

"Okay," he says. The actor exhales. He tosses the phone aside and replaces it with a handful of Ginto balls that he's been preparing. "Let's go."

He walks into the shadow.
    Caeyrn has been covered by Quincy's Shadow before, when Niklaus helped him to hide from a prying crowd. That time, it was like peeking at the outside world from under a blanket. This time, things are different. The space inside the shadow is much larger - so large that Caeyrn can't meaningfully estimate its dimensions. His uncle silently leads the way. The walk is long, so long it feels like they're taking a trip to the other side of the world.

And then, ahead, they can see a door open. The light's bright inside, so for a moment they can't see what's past it. Then, they step into a large hall, resembling an airplane hangar. There are a lot of Quincies there, young Soldaten of roughly Caeyrn's age, give or take a few years. He might be able to recognize a few cousins or other, more distant, relatives from the mass.

"This is a great day. You've been chosen to be the leader of this platoon and to promoted to the ranks of Kaiserlich Rössel. It's not been made official yet, but sicne the times are what they are, we thought we'd congratulate you beforehand. So..." Caeyrn's uncle turns towards him and offers to shake his hand. "... Congratulations." The crowd breaks into thundering applause.
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2014-12-05 at 02:19 PM.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

It's a good thing their effectiveness appears to be completely unrelated to the amount of ****s given to Naito's opinion.

Two voices in one come out as the Oni speak in unison. The two of them appear to be wielding large sasumata - a medieval Japanese tool used to subdue criminals. Launching themselves at Naito, their voices sound like raging waves, albeit a bit robotic in their general tone.

"Assailant identified. Commencing capture."

Meanwhile, the tiny fox-like shikigami is trembling behind the half-destroyed pillar, rambling in a squeaky voice, "This is no good, no good, no good at all! The mistress will have my hide!"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53

[The Void > Japan?]
    [Nowhere > Von Geister's Lab]

Naomi changes deftly. Her sleeping habits regularly demanded rapid disrobing to slip into something more appropriate (in theory), so slipping into a hospital gown is a cakewalk. Unsure what to do with the rest of her clothes, she holds them in her arms, looking around for anything that looks like a mundane table or chair and... ultimately deciding not to risk it, standing awkwardly amid the tools of eldritch science.

"...so, ready for this? I'm guessing a magic shot or something will do for you, but I've never been too great with doctors. Here's hoping this guy has some... wizard painkillers or something." Naomi chews her lip nervously as she finishes. Truth be told, she was not a particularly courageous individual - merely active and aggressive enough to power through fear with some sort of action. But just sitting and waiting for a knife to drop? That gave her the jitters.

Homebrew:

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

[Izumo, Japan]
    (???)

Katsuo winces. "That isn't a message! That's an accident wai-guh!" He nearly trips into the Oni as they appear. Then, suddenly, shouts out. "EVERYBODY STOP! THIS IS POINTLESS!"

...this might be the loudest he's ever been, and he looks considerably exasperated.

[Presumably Tokyo, Japan]
    (Von Geister's Lab)

Silly Naomi, they're both wearing dresses! Provided by Argos.

But nonetheless, Umeko disrobes and then re-robes simply, not overly minding her company seeing her. She puts on a brave face for Naomi as she finishes, approaching and linking her arm around her partner's waist. "...he seems like he knows what he's doing. It'll be okay, Nao." She wasn't entirely sure about that, with their surroundings, but right here she had to be the rock.

"...as for being ready, I don't really know exactly what he's doing, so I'm not entirely ready. But I'm still in this if you are, Nao." She nods and gives a reserved smile.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

[Japan, Tokyo]
    (Von Geister Manor, Lab)

The old ghost returns after awhile.

"Now, before we start, is there anything aesthetical you would like to deal with?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

26. - Top - End - #56

[Japan, Tokyo]
    [Von Geister Manor, Lab]

"Well... um, this seems like a pretty major operation. It seems like something I should probably be unconscious for?" Naomi shifts her weight nervously from foot to foot. "Uh. How bad is this going to hurt? What kind of recovery time is there going to be? I know the human version of this can take a... pretty long time, but they don't have magic so I'm sort of not sure what to be expecting here."

Homebrew:

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

[Tokyo, Japan]
    (Von Geister's Lab)

Umeko nods with Naomi. "...I don't exactly understand how you're going to do this, so if there's going to be any pain or anything, I don't want her to feel it."
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

[Tokyo, Japan]
    (Von Geister Manor, Lab)

Von Geister rubs the bridge of his nose.

"Aesthetical. As in, visual, like your scar. Not anesthetic. Which would relate to your sensibilities."

"Oh, whatever, just get in the pool."

Before either of the women can respond to that comment, a large pair of tendrils wraps around their torsos and throws them into the vat of brown stuff at the back, dragging both under.

A deep green light fights its way into the broth from above, and Von Geister's voice comes next among their thoughts.

"You can breath in the blight, try not to panic."

Anesthesia of some sort is likely at work, because neither can move their limbs, if they kept their arms linked, however, they can still feel one another.

"No blades involved, if you really must know. No recovery time nor rehabilitation."

"This is not even a surgery proper, really."

"Just a modification worked deep within the code, and then the broth nourishes the body to grow quickly. Also some, lets say... Purification? So many parasites."

"Oh my, that could turn into a cyst. And here we have a clot in the crafting. Someone eats a lot of crap. Off with these."

"So many tiny little flaws. Nothing too hard to deal with."

A few minutes pass while the Ghost King works and comments on his work. It is by no means a painful experience, but it is odd.

And then the feel of tendrils slithers away. Work is likely done.

"Well, my work is done. You two just rest down there for awhile, think happy thoughts. Fondly regard something. I will pull you up when the broth has done its job."
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

29. - Top - End - #59

[Izumo]
    ???

Naito doesn't respond to the Oni's attack until the absolute last second, lifting the back of his forearm towards them.

"Zanshin."

Instantly, a white circle of runes appears in the air in front of Naito's arm. As the sasumatas impact it, their forward momentum is completely canceled, leaving the two oni floating motionless in the air for a second.

Apparently considering Katsuo's feelings on the matter, Naito uses this opportunity to hop back, putting distance between himself and the oni.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

"What the devil is going on here?!"

It's neither Katsuo's pleading shout nor Naito's sudden newfound respect for his friend's common sense that stops the oni in definite.

It's a woman's voice coming down the stairs.

She's tall. Looks to be in her early thirties. Impossibly long, raven black hair trailing behind her, tied into a ponytail. Those same, purple eyes of Shinji's.

She's dressed a lot like a miko, but... miko are supposed to be modest. Her chihaya is open a bit too much, practically a V-cut just short of her belly button. Her bust is still adequately covered in a sarashi which looks to strain against the sheer heft of the bosom.

She would be a lovely vision if she only weren't so thoroughly pissed off.

"Kenichi! Get your ass over here!"

The terrified little fox shikigami hurries over to the priestess' side, still not saying a word.

"Annapuma, Unipuma. Return to the earth."

Finally, she glares in Naito and Katsuo's direction.

"And you two. Identify yourselves."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show