New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [BitPRē] Mortal World IV

Quote Originally Posted by Mahonri Violist View Post
    [Kuzunoha Compound]

Miya nods but disagrees. "No, I don't have a lot on my mind," she denies. Having things on your mind does make you weak.

She goes with Momoko, however, to change and get to the training area.
    The room they arrive at is... big. QUITE big. It has a number of large rocks and even the occasional tree here and there. Artificial illumination is provided by localized spells.

Momoko arrives after Miya does, dressed in a miko's garb.

"Let's begin then, my apprentice. Our first order of business is to discover what kind of power you have. It shouldn't be too difficult, though awakening it could be a different trouble entirely."
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

[ZWE Headquarters]

Greetings and formalities occur as additional people show up.

Caeyrn looks at the arrancar as he's unveiled. He definitely doesn't look like a Hollow, but looks fairly similar to the Shinigami. Still a spirit.

The actor looks at Demetrio's eyes. He can see — feel, even — the arrancar's emotions. He, fortunately, tells himself that this arrancar is a spirit, and no longer a human. Still, he could see his emotions. He, at least, looks like a man. Caeyrn feels a pang of...some emotion in him. He can't place which emotion it is, whether it's pity or disgust or hatred at himself or hatred at the spirit or hatred at the quincy's methods or some other emotion. It's probably one of those, and it doesn't matter which. Also, his lips feel dry.

The actor wets his lips, and nods to give approval. "That is very ingenious," he says. He doesn't give a value statement, whether it's good or wrong, because Caeyrn himself can't tell whether he'll agree with it or not. If he voices an opinion, he'll surely find out his own. "Effective, too."
    Torahiko greets one of his squadmates, but otherwise stays an observer for now. He knows he's seen Caeyrn somewhere before too, wasn't he in that one movie? He was part of the ZHE? Maybe he was a look alike?

He lets go of the wheelchair and steps back after the doctor frees the "conscript" from their binds, partly for paranoia's sake, but mostly to keep out the spotlight. It wasn't that big a surprise when the occupant started moving. The scientist said something about it being one of those high-level hollows? Wasn't sklaverei one of the highest level powers for the quincies? And it's best use is apparently taming a monster that wasn't even a monster anymore? "So this is what the quincies are really capable of?"

The real surprise was that for a moment there, he had felt a glimmer of hollow energy from Demetrio, with the killing intent to match. Were the chains binding their mind weren't as tight as they could be? Or perhaps they just corrode without direct management on the quincies part? Either way, he makes a mental note to get further insight later.
    "Life before death, Strength before weakness, Journey before destination."

Baking werewolf by Diremage
    Spoiler: Oddly true
    Show
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Beastly Squall avatar by linklele. Awesome Protean avatar by Serpentine.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Selinia View Post
    [Tokyo, Japan > Okinawa, Japan]
    [Von Geister's Lab > Umeko's Apartment]

Naomi is still a little spacy, but she manages a small bow to Von Geister and a quiet "Thanks." before following Umeko through the eldritch gash in space and time. Did she feel totally confident at the moment? Nope. Did she trust Von Geister? Definitely not. But still, this was essentially voluntary (as far as she could tell), and the regal ghost-scientist had been fairly helpful and respectful throughout. At least, compared to a lot of the mythological spirits that spring to mind.

Once the journey is through, the redheaded artist just sort of... sits, hands in her lap, in the spare space on the couch. Naomi nods to Umeko, but looks exhausted on several levels.

"I'm... gonna be okay. Sort of... you know, tired right now." Confused and overwhelmed too, but no need to keep stating the obvious. She rubs her eyes, sighing. "Umm... what now? I mean... what do we do now?"
    Umeko looks to Naomi with a slight frown, and perhaps with a slight lapse in judgement or as a purely instinctual motion, lightly strokes her troubled partner's thigh. "I think the first thing we should do is get... some rest..." She suddenly trails off, realizing what she's doing in comparison to Naomi's general discomfort, pulling her hand away.

"...sorry. It's been overwhelming. For both of us. So yeah, let's get some sleep. I don't even know if I can, with all this stuff swimming in my head, but we have to try, it just won't do to stay stewing like this." She pauses, thinking.

"...I think it's going to be a while before I can even think of... that, though. Let's just... take it slow." Her look explains it all. I mean, this was a pretty bizarre situation to be thrust into, even with the pamphlet they were provided. And I mean, it's a pamphlet, that is about as impersonal as it gets. 'It is not that hard to adjust to a life-changing scenario!' Uh-huh. Sure.

[Izumo, Japan]
    (???)

If this were an anime, Katsuo might sprout a sweatdrop at this point, at the sudden exposition drop. Honestly, he didn't expect it to be this complicated...

"...um, well, that's interesting, I guess. So should we expect danger, or dealing with trapped people, or shikigami or yokai, or what?"
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Rebornē characters!
    Madokapunk!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryman View Post

[Izumo, Japan]
    (???)

If this were an anime, Katsuo might sprout a sweatdrop at this point, at the sudden exposition drop. Honestly, he didn't expect it to be this complicated...

"...um, well, that's interesting, I guess. So should we expect danger, or dealing with trapped people, or shikigami or yokai, or what?"
    "That's... just the thing. We don't know what to tell you to expect. Our records of experiences with sesshouseki are few and far between. No one's ever gone looking for one before, and as a rule of thumb, no one really knows how to describe the experience. Much of what we know at this point is conjecture.

We're kinda sending you in blind. But... I can tell you one thing.

This whole experience, it's going to try to mess with your minds. That's why he's the one I'm actually worried about."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Okinawa, Japan]
    [Umeko's Apartment]

Naomi flinches - ever so slightly, catching herself - at Umeko's touch, letting out a small sigh as her girlfriend lets go.

"...um. That's... a good idea. But... would you mind if I brought some of my stuff over? I mean like, a futon, some clothes... maybe some of my art stuff? Just, I..." Naomi chews her lip a little before rallying with a nod. "...I want to take our time, but... that doesn't mean we can't still be together, right? And let's be honest, there's not really much room in my place unless we're basically on top of each other..."

She shakes her head. Maybe not the best choice of words. "Don't, um. Wait on me, okay? It's not far, and I can get my things fast. I just think I could use some fresh air and movement more than sleep right this second. I mean, I need sleep. I just. Um... we've been sort of getting dragged around on a leash, and I'm going to be jittery until I do something. Myself. I could... get stuff while I'm out, if you need anything? Not pizza."
    Lovely Rita Mordio avatar by Zefir! Thank you!

Homebrew:

6. - Top - End - #96
    Orc in the Playground

[Okinawa, Japan]
    (Umeko's Apartment)

Umeko grimaces slightly at Naomi's reaction, and she feels just a bit worse about inadvertently attacking her in a self-conscious state.

She tries to think of something to say, formulating some combination of words to make this less awkward and maybe ease Naomi's nerves a bit, but... in the end, when it comes to Naomi wanting to leave for a while, she just cedes for once, letting it go, and deflating ever so slightly.

"...I guess maybe some noodles. And yeah, I don't think I'll want pizza for a while... Just... make sure you come back, all right? It might be weird but I think we both need company right now."

[Izumo, Japan]
    (???)

Katsuo frowns slightly, turning to Naito and seeing how he responds...
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

7. - Top - End - #97

[Izumo]
    ???

Naito is silent for a few seconds, seemingly in thought. After a few seconds, the troubled youth nods.

"Yeah, that's going to be a problem."
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Orc in the Playground

"I can try to help you prepare for it. If you'll let me. It shouldn't take long."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #99

Naito makes a noncommittal noise.

"Can't hurt, I guess."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

"Alright then, boys. Come with me. We're going to a meditation room."

The little fox shikigami hurriedly bows before the two before his mistress walks ahead.

"Sorry about earlier. My name is Kenichi and--"

Shaya grasps the poor little fella by the scruff of his neck and pokes his nose.

"I think you've done enough damage for the day, so why don't you go fetch us some ritual stones."

"Ow! Yes ma'am."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    The room they arrive at is... big. QUITE big. It has a number of large rocks and even the occasional tree here and there. Artificial illumination is provided by localized spells.

Momoko arrives after Miya does, dressed in a miko's garb.

"Let's begin then, my apprentice. Our first order of business is to discover what kind of power you have. It shouldn't be too difficult, though awakening it could be a different trouble entirely."
    [Kuzunoha Compound]

Miya was too distracted by the view of the room to listen. She looks at all the trees and rocks and tries to figure out the lighting...how does that lighting work? She doesn't see any lightbulbs, and the sun isn't really around here.

She suddenly realizes that Momoko is talking. Miya quickly intakes air, sort-of out of surprise, and she spins around to face Momoko. She hopes what was just said wasn't all that important, because she only really payed attention to the back half of it. "Yes, okay. Of course," she says, to give the impression that she understood all of it. Awakening what? she wonders.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

[Kuzunoha Compound]

Miya was too distracted by the view of the room to listen. She looks at all the trees and rocks and tries to figure out the lighting...how does that lighting work? She doesn't see any lightbulbs, and the sun isn't really around here.

She suddenly realizes that Momoko is talking. Miya quickly intakes air, sort-of out of surprise, and she spins around to face Momoko. She hopes what was just said wasn't all that important, because she only really payed attention to the back half of it. "Yes, okay. Of course," she says, to give the impression that she understood all of it. Awakening what? she wonders.
    "Focus, dear. It could be dangerous otherwise."

Momoko stares at Miya while her irises glow a dull turquoise.

One must wonder what she sees...

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    And now would be a good point to have SOME idea what kind of powers Miya's supposed to have.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103

Naito follows along, clearly somewhat bemused.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

The meditation room in question appears to be more akin to something built alongside nature than for the specific purpose of being a room.

As it turns out, the whole thing is built right next to a waterfall for an underground river. There is a large rock in the middle of the river's path which seems to have been flattened by human hands and into which a hearth is built.

Kenichi soon arrives with a number of curiously colored stones. All of them are semiprecious to some degree. Shaya takes the bag he's carrying them in and places them around the hearth as she whispers something that sounds like prayer.

"Take a seat, boys. We'll begin soon."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

[Unknown place; ZHE headquarters]

[ZWE Headquarters]

Greetings and formalities occur as additional people show up.

Caeyrn looks at the arrancar as he's unveiled. He definitely doesn't look like a Hollow, but looks fairly similar to the Shinigami. Still a spirit.

The actor looks at Demetrio's eyes. He can see — feel, even — the arrancar's emotions. He, fortunately, tells himself that this arrancar is a spirit, and no longer a human. Still, he could see his emotions. He, at least, looks like a man. Caeyrn feels a pang of...some emotion in him. He can't place which emotion it is, whether it's pity or disgust or hatred at himself or hatred at the spirit or hatred at the quincy's methods or some other emotion. It's probably one of those, and it doesn't matter which. Also, his lips feel dry.

The actor wets his lips, and nods to give approval. "That is very ingenious," he says. He doesn't give a value statement, whether it's good or wrong, because Caeyrn himself can't tell whether he'll agree with it or not. If he voices an opinion, he'll surely find out his own. "Effective, too."
    Quote Originally Posted by cardrian View Post
    Torahiko greets one of his squadmates, but otherwise stays an observer for now. He knows he's seen Caeyrn somewhere before too, wasn't he in that one movie? He was part of the ZHE? Maybe he was a look alike?

He lets go of the wheelchair and steps back after the doctor frees the "conscript" from their binds, partly for paranoia's sake, but mostly to keep out the spotlight. It wasn't that big a surprise when the occupant started moving. The scientist said something about it being one of those high-level hollows? Wasn't sklaverei one of the highest level powers for the quincies? And it's best use is apparently taming a monster that wasn't even a monster anymore? "So this is what the quincies are really capable of?"

The real surprise was that for a moment there, he had felt a glimmer of hollow energy from Demetrio, with the killing intent to match. Were the chains binding their mind weren't as tight as they could be? Or perhaps they just corrode without direct management on the quincies part? Either way, he makes a mental note to get further insight later.
    Adler pats Torahiko on the shoulder. "You'll be seeing a lot more of what we're capable of", he assures, then nods at Caeyrn. "If you'd follow me, please."

While the Doctor stays behind, amusing the crowd by making Demetrio throw cartwheels on command, Caeyrn and Torahiko are lead to a small church built inside the complex. Or, well, "small" is a relative term. It's almost as big as the cathedral where Caeyrn saw Hein Weiswiede's body. The Totenkreuz has been brought here too - Caeyrn and Torahiko can see the battered silver cross hanging on the wall furthest of them, casting its pale blue radiance on all of them.

There's a priest there too, blessing them and offering them bread and wine. Caeyrn feels a slight tine on the back of his left hand - if he looks at it, he'll see a red letter A gleaming on it momentarily, before fading. "The Cross blesses you and grants you the Schrift A for Armor", the priest proclaims. He then beckons to Caeyrn he's free to stand up and leave.

For Torahiko, the experience is less pleasent. The blue light burns his eyes and skin and he feels like something's squirming inside his stomach and head. For a moment, there's a burning sensation at the back of his left hand, and if he turns to look, he'll see, for a brief moment, black outlines of a letter that could be either B or S, but it fades too fast for anyone to be sure.

Fortunately, that's when the sound of a church bell rings through the building, and Adler pats him on the back. "That's it, Mister Tachibana. Time to go outside. The main ceremony is about to begin."

Off they go again, this time out of the main hangar doors. Outside, it's bone-chillingly cold and utterly dark save for lampposts now lighted by the Quincies and a crescent moon hanging overhead. They move out of the rocky canyon familiar to Torahiko, and then, ahead, they can see a giant, ice-covered palace. At this point, they might get the feeling they're not in Kansas Ikari anymore. Or any other place on Earth, for that matter.

"Behold Silbern, the mausoleum of our late Emperor! Welcome to Wandenreich, the invisible kingdom of the Land of Shadows!"
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

16. - Top - End - #106

[Okinawa, Japan]
    [Umeko's Apartment > Various Locations]

Naomi doesn't say much else at that, giving Umeko a rather distracted nod and her thanks before ducking into the closet to change properly - she wasn't about to go walking across the city in the hospital clothes Von Geister had given them both, and she wasn't sure what had happened to the stuff they'd fallen asleep in. She and Umeko were, give or take an inch, roughly the same height and build, and this was hardly the first time one of them had lent clothes to the other. Heck, something of hers was probably shelved somewhere, though Naomi was too scattered at the moment to go looking for it. When she walks back out, with some simple and comfy exercise clothes, the artist gives Umeko a wave and forced smile before making her exit.

First from the room, then downstairs and out of the apartment building itself. The pre-dawn light glimmers on the horizon, signaling that the land of the rising run was about to be greeted by just that, but the population of the streets was rather sparse, and the early autumn air was as cool as it ever was in Okinawa. Naomi sets a brisk pace towards her own apartment complex, but the fast walk quickly becomes a jog, then a full-on run. She doesn't stop for exhaustion, though she's certainly tired. She doesn't stop for the lingering discomfort of the surgery either - physical or mental. It's a chance to push past that, to think for a bit, to be on her own for really the first time since this mess had begun.

When Naomi reaches her apartment (taking the old back stairs two at a time, overriding the fiery protestations of her legs), she is sticky, sore, and about ready to collapse onto her bed - but feeling marginally better nonetheless. But this was a time for packing, not lazing about, so Naomi grabs a duffel bag from a box of camping supplies that she'd wedged behind a television and gets to work. Her techniques are lacking, certainly - being primarily limited to the Garment Toss and the Compression Stomp - but that does not prevent her from getting the job done in good time. Her laptop and art supplies get packed with substantially more care, and her 'work clothes' end up needing to be tied separately to the side of the bag due to the rigid plastic armor plates, but everything else makes it into the bag without fuss.

Well... not everything else. Naomi can't help but take another look around the apartment as she hefts the bag up over her shoulder. A casual observer wouldn't even notice the sets of clothing stolen from the clutter, let alone anything else. There was so much stuff here she was loathe to toss out. She wasn't, of course. It would all still be here when Naomi walked out the door. But in a way, she couldn't help but feel like she ought to be looking for a way to take it with her. Obviously there wouldn't be room for all of it in a shared apartment, even if Naomi was physically capable of carrying the lot. That doesn't mean the thought doesn't nag a bit as she heads back outside though.

No rush this time. For one thing, the duffel bag was stuffed to bursting, and would have been pretty heavy even if Naomi was in top form. For another though, she'd gotten the run out of her system. It had been calming, in its way, but the compulsion was gone. The city was coming properly alive anyway, people scurrying to and from their jobs and homes as if today were pretty much the same as the ones to come before it. Just one more stop before heading home, and Naomi had almost half an hour to spare before it closes. The Harvest Moon noodle shop's revenue might have been hampered by its owner's nocturnal habits, but for Naomi (and anyone else in the city with a similarly demented sleep schedule) its unrivaled breakfast noodles were often reason enough to set aside a time to visit. In, order, pay, pet the lucky tabby cat, get scratched by the lucky tabby cat, get food, leave. A comforting bit of ritual, the delicious noodles acquired entirely aside.

So much to think about. It would be insane to try and process this all at once - Naomi was happy just to have it organized enough that she could properly file it away for later. As she knocks on Umeko's door, signaling her return, Naomi lets herself crack a much more genuine smile. Could she see the future? No, not at all. Wouldn't want to.

But that didn't mean she couldn't let herself feel a little hopeful about it.

Homebrew:

17. - Top - End - #107
    Orc in the Playground

[Izumo, Japan]
    (???)

Katsuo follows along quietly, and observes the meditation room with a bit of awe as he seats himself, wondering where this is all going to go!

[Okinawa, Japan]
    (Umeko's Apartment)

Umeko takes a page from Naomi's playbook considering the thin surgical gown she's wearing, and switches into a simple white tank-top and sweatpants. Almost immediately after seeing Naomi out, she locks the door and collapses into bed, clearing her head so she can just fall into a restful sleep. There was simply too much to process at that moment, and trying to do so alone would be foolhardy, even for her.

The last thing that is on her mind, oddly enough, were those pictures Naomi drew of what she imagined as their growing family, and how happy she seemed while making each stroke of the pencil.

Spoiler: Dreams!
    Show
    Umeko was making a cake. Wait, why was she making a cake? Oh, right, birthdays. By this point the vibrant Asahi household had birthdays all year round, so really, it was most convenient to just condense them by season.

Out of the kitchen windows, a vibrant japanese countryside can be seen, with woods near the horizon, and a crowd of children playing happily. All girls, with varying shades of black to red hair. Her children, Nao's children. It was a hectic life, but a happy one. She didn't even really mind putting on a bit of weight, it was still well within healthy range.

Or was she pregnant again? Yeah, she was. The bulge under her apron couldn't be anything else. She could be mad. But she wasn't. Nao was out there playing with the girls, and she couldn't really think of it any other way.

"Is the cake almost ready, momma?" A tug on her apron prompts Umeko to look down at the little blonde-haired girl. But why would she be blonde? Well, Alex was a little weird. But she was still her daughter. Umeko offers a smile, looking down to the suddenly-readied pan.

"Just has to go in the oven, Alex. There's even a little left in the bowl, want to lick it?"

Alex smiles widely and partakes of the delicious chocolate batter while Umeko puts the pan in the oven, and sets the timer. She wipes her forehead and looks back to Alex, who is giving her an oddly thoughtful frown. Umeko responds with a quizzical look.

"...what's wrong?"

"...oh, nothing, um..." She pauses, trying to phrase it. "...is it hard? With all the new sisters in your tummy."

Umeko sighs slightly, kneeling down with a grunt to stroke Alex's hair. She's still smiling, but it's less bemused, and more... well, it just radiated motherly warmth. "...it's a little hard. But it's worth it."

Alex giggles and runs from the kitchen. Oh, right, Umeko has to bring the cake out, it was party time. Presents, chocolate cake... it's always fun. She walks out into the dining room. So many faces! And... the group grows, every time she looks around. And everyone's a little older every turn around. Was it a little absurd, how many kids they had? Maybe. Umeko even started to show a few signs of age, but it wasn't too bad, but Naomi was always as bright as ever. Excitable, loving.

Eventually, more faces were added to the group, but they weren't hers. Little Alex and the oldest of her sisters had gone to grow up, and found their own loves. Umeko was a grandma! And that was a whole new warm sensation.

Would she have ever realized this part of her soul if not for the involvement of Von Geister and his people? Maybe not. But she couldn't think of it any other way.

The first few knocks rouse Umeko slightly, but something in her almost didn't want to be woken up... but eventually she realizes Naomi is just standing out there being polite and waiting and she just can't help but rush out frantically, swinging the door open with a furious blush. She blurts something groggy and nonsensical a few times before rubbing her eyes, composing herself, and thinking up an actual, proper...

"...hey. Um. Cool, noodles." Oh, never mind. She steps back, letting Naomi in while she goes to sit on the couch, bringing her legs up and staring into the surface of the coffee table as she pieces over the dream she had.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

[Izumo, the Kuzunoha Sanctuary]

Oh, this will be good. If a little trippy.

Shaya seats so that the three of them are in a triangle pattern. She begins chanting - some of it in archaic Japanese, which the two boys have some chance of comprehending, though it is difficult. Some of it is in Ainu, which the boys may recognize as such - though they probably can't understand a lick of it.

Once she stops, both boys can feel the characteristic shift of a spiritual barrier forming.

"Alright, boys. What I'm going to do now is to have a look at your souls. Specifically, your hearts. Don't be alarmed by what you see happen. I will briefly push out all three of our souls out of our bodies for this. Ready?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109

[Izumo]
    Kuzunoha Sanctuary

Naito just nods, looking almost bored with the situation.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Orc in the Playground

Sure, it was boring for him, all things considered.

Still, wasn't it his first time having his soul shunted out of his body involuntarily?

The fact that they didn't have chains locking them to their bodies ought to come as a bit of a shock. Or maybe not.

"I'm going to start with your friend here. I expect I'll spend the least amount of time preparing him."

Shaya's voice comes echoed and doubled, as if actually reminiscent of a spirit rather than a human's. Her hair seems to have shifted ever so slightly upwards on both sides of her head in spirit form for some reason, though.

In any case, one of her hands reaches out to gently touch Katsuo's chest. He can feel a rippling warmth spread from that point of contact.

"You should be fine. The Sesshouseki might try to attack your sense of self-worth. Put your past experiences against you. But you're the kind of person who tends to get stronger when he's fighting for the sake of his friends. Even if you end up believing it, I'm sure you'll shake it off."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111

Naito watches. Although Naito's soul has never been separated from Naito's body, as such, this isn't the first time the young Quincy has had their soul directly manipulated by an outside source. The feeling is familiar enough, which is probably why Naito's body has broken out into a cold sweat. Still, the youth's face is impassive as Shaya deals with Katsuo first.

22. - Top - End - #112

[Okinawa, Japan]
    [Umeko's Apartment]

Naomi lowers her hand rather awkwardly, having been in the midst of deciding whether to knock again or just open the door herself. Noticing Umeko's rather frazzled state, it occurs to her that knocking repeatedly when she knew Umeko was going to be taking a nap might not have been the best idea she'd ever had.

"Umm... yeah, noodles. Your phone's in the bag, and I wasn't sure what you'd prefer, so... there's four orders there. I figure leftovers couldn't hurt, right? Uh. Did I wake you up? Sorry." Naomi pinks a bit in embarrassment, though she's still red-faced enough from the cross-town hike that it's a rather subtle change. She plops the takeout bag on the coffee table, but seems unsure of where to put the bulky duffel bag. It just looks so... out of place, with the vividly colored plastic armor strapped to the side and the pins and stickers all over the surface. Some sort of candy-coated intruder in a domain of clean corners, monochrome, and general good taste. But it's heavy and she has to put it somewhere, so behind the couch will do for now.

"...thanks for that. Sorry, the first thing I did shouldn't have been to just... run off like that. But it helped a lot. I definitely need a shower and a nap myself after this though." Naomi picks one of the noodle containers at random from those not selected by Umeko, opening it up and breaking a set of complimentary chopsticks to dig in. "...and sorry again for the noise. Wasn't thinking. Um. Feeling a bit better, anyway?"

Homebrew:

23. - Top - End - #113

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    "Focus, dear. It could be dangerous otherwise."

Momoko stares at Miya while her irises glow a dull turquoise.

One must wonder what she sees...

Show
    And now would be a good point to have SOME idea what kind of powers Miya's supposed to have.
    [Kuzunoha Compound Training Region]

"Okay, yes, of course." Miya apologizes with the tone of her voice. She'll focus better, yes she will.

As she is stared at, Miya feels a little uncomfortable. Being stared at with glowing eyes is a little strange, and she doesn't know what she's supposed to do. Is she just supposed to stand there? Is she supposed to try to use power? Something else? One of her hands moves instinctively up to her heart-shaped locket, instinctively seeking comfort at this moment that she doesn't know what she should do.

Describing her powers is much easier in Bleach terms is much easier than trying to describe them all, particularly because I don't understand Fullbringers or Substitute Shinigami or anything else, really, all that well. Miya has all the average Fullbringer powers, which enables her "to manipulate the souls contained within matter", including the Bringer Light – which is something that she doesn't know she can do at all with one exception (and I, myself, don't fully know all the implications of this power). She does have special affinity with her locket, however, which she has used before and allows her to create a large force-shield that can create air blasts and such. Beyond that, she also has the potential for Shinigami-related powers, but neither her nor I have any idea how to bring that into play. As such, I would really appreciate it if you just had Momoko see and describe any related strength that would seem logical or useful (because I honestly have no idea, which is why Miya continues to be one of the weakest characters).
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Orc in the Playground

"Hmmmmmmm..."

Momoko thinks for the longest time as she stares at the girl.

"From what little I can tell, your powers are associated with protection. Your strength comes from your desire to protect people, including yourself. That desire... it feels like it comes from your mother's side.

I also sense the strength of a Shinigami within you. That, too, comes from your mother.

I can only help you bring one of those out, Miya-chan. Powers based on pure instinct are much easier to activate. But... either way you look at it, it will be dangerous. You could get hurt really bad.

If that's what you want, though... I will help you learn to bring that power out."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #115

[Kuzunoha Compound]

The longer the time drags on, the more uncomfortable Miya feels. This is why she suddenly and audibly is relieved when Momoko starts speaking again. "Oh. Oh, of course," she says, nodding. "Yes. I don't care if it's dangerous. I just want to be able to do something."

Sounds pretty nice. Finally, she'll be able to do something in this crazy world, do something with all the spirits and whatever that have popped up.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

"Well, you were warned, dear."

Momoko takes a few steps away from the girl before turning back to her. When she did, she seemed to be holding out...

...a mask?

"...brace yourself.

Kaihou Kamenjutsu: Hannya...

...Sentai, OHM."

As she spoke, the mask seemed to glow from behind as it attached itself to Momoko's face. Her matronly, pudgy form doubled over as it seemingly grew taller and longer, legs and arms becoming toned with muscle and pale as a ghost's. The mask contorted as though it became part of her own face, glowing with insane, red irises.

Without warning, that demonic visage leapt forward as it shot a punch at Miya's position, as if intent on pounding her into the ground.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117

[Kuzunoha Compound]

That looks eerie. Miya gasps, and even remotely inhuman. Luckily, she gets an immediate adrenaline rush, too, which is a useful thing in a fight.

Most of the chokeholds, grabs, and jointlocks she knows were designed for people with more human appearances. Unfortunately, there's no time to figure out which ones will work and which ones won't. She has to dodge immediately, so Miya leaps to the side, sidestepping the downwards punch. She doesn't even think of using the one spiritual power she knows how to use: someone swinging a punch immediately brings her to thinking about martial arts.

Even though Miya is pretty tall herself, she isn't obscenely so. She immediately recognizes that she'll have a power and reach disadvantage. She recalls other times she was at a disadvantage like this: practicing jiu-jitsu with her older cousins. Luckily, she learned that the best way to take care of someone with such an advantage is to get in a position where the advantage can't be used. In this case, trying to get to grappling on the ground.

As such, instead of moving backwards and away, she moves in towards Monster-Momoko. She crouches down so she can try to get into some sort of spider guard, where her opponent will be unable to move any sort of limb. As such, she latches onto Momoko's forward ankle, with one of her own legs wrapped around Momoko's and one of her hands holding onto the ankle, and the other foot trying to push the other leg at bay.

She grunts, reaching up for the arm that swung the punch with her free arm. Miya only hopes her grip and her planned leg sweep will be strong enough to bring her opponent down to the ground.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Orc in the Playground

Under any other circunstance that might have been a sound tactic. Unfortunately for Miya, she apparently neglected to check that the place she was in before had been pulverized. Momoko's reaction to her hold attempt proves fairly slow, yet thoroughly annoyed.

The power advantage is a lot bigger than she expected.

As Miya reaches for the arm, masked Momoko grabs at the girl's own limb and YANKS. Thankfully, this has the unintended side-effect of sending her flying back a ways. It is strong enough to pull her arm out of its socket, however, if she doesn't know how to roll with it.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119

[Kuzunoha Compound]

A strength difference that large completely renders more than half of what she knows and has always practiced completely useless. A lot more than half, actually. Probably most all of it, with very few exceptions.

Luckily, though, she does know that when her joints strain at the tearing limit, it's time to let go and relax. This is why Miya goes flying instead of going flying and having her sockets torn out.

She lands on a rock. She manages to land without getting too injured, which is a good thing.

She spends the time she has at a distance, going through all the things she knows, trying to figure out which one will work.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Orc in the Playground

Sometimes, when the difference in power is big enough, technique is rendered useless.

Miya might just learn this lesson in a very violent way today. Momoko's transfixed form leaps at her again, foot-first this time. She has a weight advantage on the girl and more than enough speed and power. Even with the younger girl's intelligence and martial education, it's going to take a lot to survive this fight, much less win it.

Show
    In case it hasn't become obvious, Miya's not supposed to win this unless she manages to bring her powers to bear. Momoko's gonna keep trying to drive her into a corner until she does. That's the whole point of the exercise.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show