New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Etrian Odyssey: Exploration, Mapmaking, Ragelopes and More!

Etrian Odyssey.

A game about exploring a mysterious labyrinth with your guild and discovering it's secrets along the way. There are dangerous battles, odd requests from the locals in town, and a whole lot of reviving. You make the map yourself and try to survive through it all.

Some basic hints for playing are to always carry warp wires, and to never feed the deer!

It's currently at four games and two remakes, with another two games announced to come out next year, so there's plenty to talk about!

Anyone else play this series?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Etrian Odyssey: Exploration, Mapmaking, Ragelopes and More!

I love this series!

Never finished a game, though. Always get about halfway through, then come up against a wall. I find I have to grind, or try running two parties because I want to see each classes' skill set, and end up getting bored.
    Awesome avatar by Kpenguin. ALL HAIL DOCTOR DIRE!

3. - Top - End - #3

Well, you get to add another three to your list maybe!

Etrian Odyssey Untold II : Knight of Fafnir is coming out at some point for us hopefully, and Atlus recently let slip that Etrian Odyssey V is in the works with a teaser trailer. They also have a crossover with Mystery Dungeon in the works!

As for completed games... Finished Etrian Odyssey IV and am working on the post game, still fighting my way through EO Untold in the second stratum, and stuck in the third stratum in EO III.

I really love the Princess Class honestly. They do so much buffing and healing that it's just silly. Medic? I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' MEDIC. FORCE MARCH, HEAL AS YOU GO!

And was it just me, or were Arbalists just silly? Giant Crossbows of Doom.

I really love the music and the imagery of the dungeons and of some of the bosses.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hm... The untold one didn't interest me, so I skipped it. Not really interested in stupid amounts of challenge in exchange for a JRPG story. I expect I'll skip II as well unless the reviews are really good. I've been poking at IV now and it's amusing, though there's things about it I don't like. DO like the way the airship isn't limited in movement like the ships in III were.

EO III I got to the 4th stratum, I think, then stopped. Figuring out how to beat that whale boss was fun (and a DUH) when I did, but after that my momentum petered out. Been running two parties, and grinding for enough coin for gear got rough.

Princes/esses are indeed awesome! Takes a while to get to healing march, but it saved so much mana when it did. I'm liking dancers in IV, flashbacks to dragon warrior 4 there...

I've seen giant arbalests in Suikoden games, too. Wondering if it's a JRPG thing...

The music's my favorite part, I think. Pastoral, vibrant, it really helps to set the mood and scene. The world it takes place in is gorgeous, and complements the artwork nicely.

I'll definitely pick up V when it comes out. The series seems to improve with each iteration, and I like that they aren't afraid to mix things up. As long as they can achieve the same quality throughout, I'll keep with it.
    Awesome avatar by Kpenguin. ALL HAIL DOCTOR DIRE!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I didn't think Untold was terribly more difficult than IV, to be honest. The unique classes (Highlander and Gunner) were pretty sweet.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I love Etrian Odyssey IV! Everything just felt so right about it, from the classes and customization all the way to the soundtrack. I finished the game once but never really dug into the postgame, and just recently I started a new file so I could play it all over again with some of the classes I didn't use much the first time.

I think this time I'm finally going to give linking a try - my current party is Landsknecht/Fortress/Medic in front, Runemaster/Sniper in back, but I'll swap the Medic for a back-row Arcanist once I unlock them. Just gonna go with what seems like a pretty standard linking setup: Improved Link with the Landsknecht, a matching elemental rune from the Runemater, and some combination of spells and Squall Volley to trigger the links.

I tried EOIII and Untold, but I just couldn't get into them. EOIII felt like a serious downgrade after getting used to EOIV, and I didn't really enjoy the classes or skill trees or grimoire system in Untold. But I've been having a blast so far with the recently-released Persona Q! It's a great mix of Persona and Etrian gameplay, and I'm honestly impressed with how many voiced lines they packed into this game.
    High School Harem Comedy, my original game system!

7. - Top - End - #7

My current party for EO IV is Bushi/Nightseeker and Fortress/Landsknecht in the front with a Runemaster/Imperial, Medic/Runemaster, and Sniper/Arcanist in the back. Added defenses to the Fortress, with a Bushi spamming the hell out of her elemental and normal attacks. Sniper for binds and damage, Medic taking care of elemental defences along with healing and status removal, throw out a Runemaster simply to spread damage around as well.

I found my issue with links were mostly the single target nature of them, which is perfectly fine for FoE's and solo bosses. But some needed a deal more AoE going on, which the Bushi has in spades, along with her massive damage with charges and the like.

Persona Q is on my list of games to try, but need to get it first.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

The party I beat the final boss with before was:
    Imperial/Runemaster - Fortress/Dancer - Nightseeker/Arcanist
    Runemaster/Imperial - Arcanist/Medic

I think the roles are pretty obvious - the Runemaster and Imperial team up to dish out crazy elemental damage after setting up an elemental rune, Hawkeye, Runic Flare, Charge, et cetera. The Fortress tanks as much as possible with Guard Mastery and Fan Dance. The Nightseeker demolishes random encounters with Auto-Spread+Venom Throw, and keeps trying to land ailments and rack up Shadow Bite hits on bosses. The Arcanist works herself half to death tossing out circles, heals, blasts, debuffs, revives, ailment recoveries, and probably the kitchen sink too.

Bushi/Nightseeker is a great combination, too. I can never have enough free HP/TP restoration, and Blade Flurry has amazing synergy with Ferocity and the Bushi proficiency.
    High School Harem Comedy, my original game system!