New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Variants

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Variants

Do you use 3rd party material? Player's guides, variant core rulebooks?

I picked up Iron Heroes, for example, and considered using some of the material there.

BONUS QUESTION: Have you ever ran Iron Heroes or Arcana Unearthed as their own stand alone? How did it go? Was it easy to gain buy in from your players?
    Yeah... well... now his body's fine, but his mind is gone.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Variants

No, not any more. I've used some stuff in the past for specialized settings, such as a 3rd-party seafaring supplement before Stormwrack was released.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I will occasionally poke around in Sword and Sorcery and Legends and Lairs. I dont use them often but they are nice when i do use them. I use Darkness and Dread occasionally as its similar to Heroes of Horror but they surprisingly have little overlap. Other ones i use are Traps and Treachery 1 and 2 as well as all the Ravenloft books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I used a book called The Complete Guide to Fey, or something similar-sounding. Anyway, I found a Fey race with -2 Con and Str, with a +6 Cha bonus.

And that's how I started down the dark path of muchkinry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    Sorcerers are also based on Charisma. If a Wizard studies the cheat codes to reality, the Sorcerer literally just glares or winks at the universe. And the universe listens.
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar1969 View Post
    Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

First Eternal foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    I used a book called The Complete Guide to Fey, or something similar-sounding. Anyway, I found a Fey race with -2 Con and Str, with a +6 Cha bonus.

And that's how I started down the dark path of muchkinry.
    That is one of my favorite third party books. The on-the-fly fey creation system in the back is like the holy grail of homebrewing.

To answer the question: yes. Dreamscarred Press is explicitly allowed at my table, as is Goodman Games. I make frequent and unhealthy use of The Book of Templates, and unlike many of Monte Cook's creations, feats from The Consolidated Book of Experimental Might are allowed. I also allow content from the War of the Burning Sky (EN Publishing) and Echoes of Heaven (Final Redoubt) campaigns. Other third-party and homebrewing is on a case-by-case basis, but I am more likely to amend something than I am to ban it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I occasionally read third party content, like the advanced player's guide, but I rarely use content from it.

one (technically) third party book I have used stuff from is cordell's "hyperconscious." I really don't consider it 3rd party since it was written by the guy who invented 3.x psionics, all it lacks is a hasbro logo. it's got some really interesting content and gorgeous art.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I have, and occasionally use, a couple of Rokugan books. White wolf publishing, I think?
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I have, and occasionally use, a couple of Rokugan books. White wolf publishing, I think?
    alderac, actually.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

My 3.5 group uses "Dead at -[CON] hit points" like in Pathfinder, does that count?
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    My 3.5 group uses "Dead at -[CON] hit points" like in Pathfinder, does that count?
    that's a nice rule.

I also enjoy their energy drain rule where it sticks around and you can keep trying to shake it off every 24 hours. that way it still kills in combat, but doesn't ruin your life over one botched roll

Iron Chef Medals!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    that's a nice rule.

I also enjoy their energy drain rule where it sticks around and you can keep trying to shake it off every 24 hours. that way it still kills in combat, but doesn't ruin your life over one botched roll
    It also doesn't ever result in true level loss, only across-the-board penalties. Having to change all of your class features, and then change them back when you get that Restoration, is annoying and unnecessary.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    It also doesn't ever result in true level loss, only across-the-board penalties. Having to change all of your class features, and then change them back when you get that Restoration, is annoying and unnecessary.
    right. that's what I was referring to. I like taking that out of the equation with energy drain.

the worst part is what it does to your skillranks.

Iron Chef Medals!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Every now and then. I know I've been interested in checking out Iron Heroes and Dragon Mech for a while now to see if there's anything I'd like to plunder from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

the Legends & Lairs books get a lot of use
    Traps & Treachery was one of the first OGL books published and we all picked it up when it came out, the improved sneak attack feat specifically that increases sneak attack up a die
    Darkness & Dread gets a lot of use for NPCs and occasional for pcs, we've made gestalt characters where 1 half had to be a class from that book to start
    Wildscape has rules for non spell casting rangers, expanding their weapon styles and adding a few new ones, we are not big on spell casting rangers at my table
    The Quintessential Wizard from Mongoose publishing gets used a lot, there's a variant that gives you "exploding skill points" for wizards that has been heavily abused
    The Book of Erotic Fantasy gets heavy use, almost every wizard at my table usually ends up taking meataphysical spellshaper
    The Book of Templates has seen its fair share of abuse too, except the hypermytopic template, that's the only thing actually banned out right, lol
    The number 1 houserule at my table, is if you can find it in print in my library, it will be considered, I have everything printed by WOTC, including all the web enhancements and articles printed in binders, all of mongoose, goodman games, a large chunk of necromancer games and green ronin press, as well as bunch of other 3rd party, most of ravenloft, most of kingdoms of kalamar and I have been currently adding the dragonlance books I never got around to previously, not a big dragon lance fan, but the need for more 3rd edition material is getting hard to find so I may as well give in an add it, lol
    so 3rd party sees a lot of use and a fair bit of abuse at my table
    Last edited by Bullet06320; 2014-11-26 at 08:00 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Yes, I use it quite a lot. In fact, I've spent a lot of time tracking down 3rd party stuff, and enjoy using it. I review it for balance first, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

The more I play, the dirtier I feel using any campaign-specific material, variants, or third-party material. I find the game much more enjoyable when I'm playing with rules that are strictly... well, rules, and I'm not breaking any boundaries by introducing feats or races or classes from books where they wouldn't necessarily exist in any other setting.

Of course, most of it depends on your DM, but I prefer building a character that I can slap onto any table and get going with. No worries about discussing anything with the DM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Advanced Bestiary by Green Ronin sees occasional use.