New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Ghostfoot's Tearing of the Weave IC

Krag looks at the man and is content to stand back as others rush in to help. Aye lad, you'll be feeling better now eh? Do you need some water or a bite to eat then you can get down to telling us what happened here eh?. Waiting for the knight to recover sufficiently he stepped outside after stealing a twig from the fire and pulling a pipe from his mouth he leant against the wall puffing contentedly away whilst waiting for the man to speak. His hands now returning to normal, the fist of stone fading...
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Savin and the elf release the captives bonds. The man grunts in pain as he tries to sit up and speak "Sir Lysander Aulbes...yes....that is I". At the healing touch of the cleric the worst of his wounds mend and he moves to sit and speak more comfortably, grabbing a waterskin.

In a voice much more forceful and confident now he speaks "Yes, I am Sir Lysander Aulbes. This is my hunting lodge. One of my family properties. We come from Wheloon occasionally for a little hunting. It helps keep things in check I suppose too. All sorts of threats to the ordinary folk lurking in these woods. I came a few days ago with my men. We'd been planning a trip for a while now, and I had heard that the townsfolk had been have trouble too - murders, disappearances and such. I know that sort of thing happens all too regularly these days but the tales I heard suggested it may be something more serious than riff-raff and deserters."

"The militia captain - Ghini, a competent soldier - she had been patrolling the area and found something dangerous out there. She wasn't sure what, but she knew it was a big predator. Well, we've hunted a few in our time and we had no trouble scouting where she thought this killer might be. And we found it all right. The thing is, there's no way it's responsible for these deaths. It's an owlbear. You've heard of them, yes? Monstrous creatures. Violent, always hungry, all teeth claws muscle and attitude. Something a mad wizard dreamed up centuries ago and now they're established throughout the Realms. We tracked it to it's lair. Planned to have a bit of sport with it later, once we'd fashioned a few long spears for the job."

"Anyway there's no way that that beast is snatching people unawares throughout the area and dragging them back to its lair. If it got near the town you'd know about it. There would be blood, screams, the whole works. It would be a bloodbath. If you ask me, someone or something is attacking the people and dumping the bodies for the owlbear to feed on. Covering it's trail, if you like."

"We were talking about this perplexing situation last night when they struck. Orcs. They snuck up on us and before we new it they were inside the lodge. My men and I put up a fight but there were simply too many of them. We must have killed half-a-dozen but they overwhelmed us. The most chilling part though, was that they were after me. They spoke my name, asking the wounded which I was. Once they had me marked, they butchered the rest of my men."

"I don't know what they planned to do. I saw them divide up a few gold coins. Somebody must have paid them. Are there any left alive that we can interrogate?"
    he lurches to his feet and picks a fine sword from the pile. Cleaning the blade he looks around for any surviving humanoids to question.
    Spoiler: Heal check (Anthony)
    Show
    1) Yes, he's on positive hp now (he was on 0 hp)
    2) He's still injured, but it's impossible to know how many hp he may be down. He can certainly walk and fight now.
    3) He was injured in the last 24 hours. A few nasty cuts from bladed weapons (ie probably axes) and then a severe beating from fists and furniture.

Spoiler: Loot
    Show
    On the orcs, in total:
    • Greataxe x5
    • Javelin x25
    • Studded leather armour x5
    • 25gp

In the overflowing trunk (all bloodstained):
    • Greataxe (orcish) x5
    • Studded leather armour (orcish) x5
    • MW Studded leather armour x5
    • MW longsword x5 (minus the one that Sir Lysander Aulbes just took)
    • potion marked "healing" x2
    • potion marked "anti-toxin" x2

There's nothing of value on the other bodies (human or orc) and a few broken weapons tossed on the pile too.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

"There were five of them when we came here. One is left to talk now, just outside the door. You are welcome to conduct the whole interrogation." - Anthony gestures towards the outside - "Does that account for them all or did some left the area some time between they attacked you and now? I think you should come up with a plan, sir."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

From the corner of the room Krag interrupts So, if NAE the birdbear what do ye reckon is killing folks? Is it the orcs or something a tad worse?.

Looking at Antony he jerks a thumb at the sleeping orc. I can speak to the beast when ye want to start. Mind, its a green skin but there is a line a winnae cross. The last is said with a sage nod making it clear while he's happy to execute the orc he won't torture it.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Firbolg in the Playground

Fintan

"I do not know their foul tongue, but I can try to give you some things to say which might aid you," Fintan says to the dwarf.

Spoiler: Aid Another Bluff, Diplomacy or Intimidate
    Show
    Take whatever you think will help best.

Bluff (1d20+15)[28]
    Diplomacy (1d20+10)[24]
    Intimidate (1d20+13)[30]
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2015-01-11 at 01:18 AM.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

As Sir Aulbes relays his story, Savin listens intently to the details.
    "Something is obviously afoot if these vermin were on the outlook for you. We can discuss this further once you have questioned it." Hefting his axe and running his thumb along the blade, he says a little louder "If you need any help removing a hand or other limb, just call out my name. I look forward to paying back your men's deaths in kind." Turning, he walks out the door, saying over his shoulder "I"m going to do a quick look about the immediate area, see if I can find any clues to the other orc came or went."

Spoiler
    Show

Going out and looking for any tracks or clues to their numbers and where they may have run off to.
    A few of rolls, as needed.
    (1d20)[14]
    (1d20)[20]
    (1d20)[3]
    Search +5, spot +5, and survival +3.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Temiryl mulls over what Sir Lysander has said. "I wonder if this is related to the goings on with the Brass Wheel company? Those responsible may be using the owlbear and the orcs to cover their own misdeeds? Anyway, our captive should be awake by now."

Hands still shaking slightly, she leaves the hunting lodge and returns with the bound orc at sword point. While the others conduct the interrogation, she picks through the collection of swords and armour to find a blade and suit of finely crafted studded leather to her liking, leaving her original sword and armour in the collection.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

Sir Aulbes wipes the sword clean and looks to the bound orc "A plan....indeed, we need a plan. You say that you speak the language of these foul beasts? That is wise, to know one's enemy. Come, let us see what information this vile wretch can impart". He steps outside briefly to count the bodies and say a quick prayer over those of his hunting companions. "It looks like this is all of them. Unless they have more of their tribe nearby we should be safe for now".

Moving to the bound orc he roughly shakes it, snarling threats and demands for information as Krag stands nearby and translates. "Who sent you? Where are you from? How many? Why are you here? Why do you want me?"

The lone stinking orc staunchly holds its tongue for a few seconds before caving to the pressure of the surrounding humans, elf and dwarf. "We are of the glorious Severed Leg tribe. But the humans on horses chopped us up in the big fight. So we hide in the forest after the big fight. But there is no humans to chop in the forest.

The little rat-man came to us. Gave us gold to catch the human. And wait here till he comes sneaking from the village. So we catch the human, and chop the other ones. And we wait. But then you come, and now we are chopped up. Klo-Ten, his name. This rat that turns into a man".

The bestial humanoid looks around pleadingly at you (well at the humans anyway - it doesn't try for mercy from the elf or the dwarf). It's stink is almost unbearable and you can see lice crawling through its filthy leathers and its greased hair. Severed animal and humanoid body parts (fingers, ears?) are strung through its braided hair and adorn it as crude fetishes.

Spoiler: Anthony
    Show
    You've heard of the Severed Leg orc tribe. They are one of many that came down from the mountains in the recent turmoil and fought with the goblin and other orc tribes against the soldiers of Cormyr. The bards sing of how they were virtually entirely eliminated in the final battle and the few surviving members fled to the Hullack Forest. There any remaining humanoids scrape a meagre existence through banditry. This must be some or all of the remnants of that tribe.

ir Aulbes looks over at the rest of you "Any more questions, or should we send this beast on it's way?" his tone indicating the only place it is getting sent is straight to the Abyss.

Spoiler: Savin
    Show
    You don't find anything of interest outside. There are tracks broadly consistent with the events, people and creatures that you have seen so far.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

"Severed Leg tribe... they got it really hard in the final battle and the rest did indeed flee to this forest. So, at least that much might be true. I have some more questions, though. Krag, translate, please."

Anthony asks the questions one by one. If needed be, the orc will be reminded that he's of no use unless he can prove othervise. If that would not be enough, it seems Fintan knows how an interrogation is to be conducted.

"- Where and when have you met this rat-man?"
    "- Was that the only time you've met him?"
    "- Was anyone else with him?"
    "- How did he originally find you and why didn't you kill him?"
    "- Describe this rat-man in as much detail as you are able, including his height, weight, color, age, clothing, gear, etc., both in man form, and in rat form."
    "- How were you expecting to spend these money?"
    "- What were you planning to do with the loot?"
    "- Did you spend any money during your stay in this forest? Did you dispose of any loot? If so, how, where and when?"
    "- Why didn't you leave for the mountains?"
    "- Where is your camp?"
    "- Are there other orcs in the forest that you are aware of, either your tribe or other tribes?"
    "- Are you aware of any goblins or other creatures that are not common animals and are living in the forest or nearby?"
    "- Are you ready to prove your willingness to cooperate by something other than words?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, Anthony wants to know why only 25gp are found so far. Was the rat-man's payment 25gp? Was it 5gp per orc? What about dead orcs? 25 is only divisible by 5, so how it was supposed to be divided originally? Didn't the men have any pocket change with them? I suspect there might be some lack of forethought on the part of the module, so this is not necessarily fully IC, but Anthony does want to have solid understanding and will ask both the orc and Sir Lysander as appropriate.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Savin, not finding anything unexpected, makes his way back to where the others are, picking up his javelin on the way.
    Seeing the others conducting the interrogation in a language he doesn't understand, he sets himself out to guard the others, javelin in hand and battle ax in the other, making sure there aren't any stragglers returning or any new surprises.

Spoiler
    Show

Move to C-12 to try and get the best view.
    Can he get on the roof to get a better vantage point?

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Krag looking grim standing over the orc merely translates the questions fired at the beast by Sir Aulbes and Anthony. He looks at the creature feeling pity for the beast. Switching to a non orc tongue he looks at the others. "I know the beast is a monster, but I still struggle to slay the creature in cold blood"

Spoiler: translation go..
    Show

I shall continue to translate

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

"He has two death sentences on him, first for being wrong race, second for being murderous bandit, and that is ontop of being on the wrong side of the war. He could be rather useful alive, both ambushing the rat-man and then dealing with owlbear, but I don't see how we could reasonable leave him alive. Selling him to slavery is illegal and keeping him with us or letting go will make us responsible for any consequences. I wouldn't like to execute someone who've fought on my side, so it's either now or... what?"

13. - Top - End - #103
    Firbolg in the Playground

Fintan

"Well none of us are either a local magistrate nor a priest of Tyr," Fintan says impatiently. "If you are so concerned about the beastman's rights, then untie him, give him a weapon and let him have trial by combat. Let the Gods decide his fate. Or..."

Fintan pantomimes a thumb across his throat.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2015-01-15 at 11:44 AM. Reason: ??? Autocorrect confounds me
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

Krag fires the questions at the orc while the others ponder its fate. It's a painful conversation as the orc is evidently neither smart nor worldly:

"- Where and when have you met this rat-man?"

He came to us, at our camp. A few nights ago.

"- Was that the only time you've met him?"

Yeah

"- Was anyone else with him?"

Nobody else. Just the little rat-man from the human village

"- How did he originally find you and why didn't you kill him?"

He gave us gold to get the man there. Maybe he give us more gold or more humans to kill.If not, he no use to us.

"- Describe this rat-man in as much detail as you are able, including his height, weight, color, age, clothing, gear, etc., both in man form, and in rat form."

He was like a human, but a rat man. He had some clothes and armour and stuff, and a little sword. I could snap him, he was skinny.

"- How were you expecting to spend these money?"

Eh? Maybe go somewhere to spend it. In the mountains. Or maybe take some more money from humans. It's shiny.

"- What were you planning to do with the loot?"

Um. Keep it or sell it, to other orcs.

"- Did you spend any money during your stay in this forest? Did you dispose of any loot? If so, how, where and when?"

When we met some other orcs we sometimes did. Or just fight them. I dunno when.

"- Why didn't you leave for the mountains?"

No tribe left. Other orcs in mountains would smash our bones.

"- Where is your camp?"

We're here now. Before we were over there, or there.

"- Are there other orcs in the forest that you are aware of, either your tribe or other tribes?"

Yeah, there's other orcs around.

"- Are you aware of any goblins or other creatures that are not common animals and are living in the forest or nearby?"

Yeah I seen goblins sometimes. I dunno where. Not close.

"- Are you ready to prove your willingness to cooperate by something other than words?"

Eh?
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2015-01-16 at 07:49 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

"Thank you Krag. I have no more questions. Savin, Sir Aulbes, as far as I am concerned, he's yours."

Then Anthony slowly looks around as if thinking of something.

"Wait here and ambush rat-man? At least can attempt to."

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

Sir Aulbes looks up from where he stands over the grovelling tusker.

It sounds like this man, Klo-Ten, could be a werecreature - a shapeshifter. They are a bane to law-abiding folk everywhere. Skulking at the fringes of communities or living among us. I don't know much about them but I hear tales that they need silver weaponry to harm them. Perhaps we should arm ourselves with better tools for this task?

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

"A were... rat, hm? Now I remember, yes, some silver better be involved. The orc said they've met this creature only once, a few nights ago, so we might have time to arm ourselves before it turns up. One thing to consider is that unless Ghini's office leaks, our presence here is probably not expected, but if we just go to back to the village's smithy to arm ourselves, that will require quite some stealth if we don't want to make things public. Maybe we should remain here and just refit arrows and javelins with whatever silver we have?"

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Krag looks at the others and steps back to allow some one else to kill the beast. "So, a were rat. A dangerous beast indeed. How should we smoke this beast out? Does anyone posses a divination to detect evil creatures? Or lycanthropes?

Looking at the orc he switched to the guttural tongue "YOU WORM. DESCRIBE THE RAT MEN. HAIR, EYES, CLOTHES. MAKE US KNIW HIM. DRAW HIM."

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

"Evil creatures can be potentially detected either by me or by the willage priest. We'd have to prepare in advance and could not try it on every willager, though, at least not without a major gather-them-all-tightly-together. Then again, being evil is no crime in itself. I think Ghini's wolf would also be able to sniff some difference, but smelling differently is no crime either. Short of a proper test for lycanthropy... or whateverantropy it is in this case, the surest thing betraying this wererat would be him coming here, alone, and not visibly afraid of some heap of bodies." - Anthony seems to have said everything he has to say on the matter, but then, after some time suddenly adds - "Or maybe a meeting with this guy." - nods at the orc.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Hearing what is going on while keeping an eye out, Savin says just loud enough for those to hear inside the cottage "When you are ready for me to deal with this filth, let me know. This would not be my first time having to deal with this situation."

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

"Silvered weapons? Um, I actually possess one of those." Temiryl draws a dagger from one of the pair at her hip, and notices with some embarrassment that it has developed a faint patina of tarnish. She quickly polishes it to a bright shine, talking as she does so. "Since the attack on Tower Reilloch by the Daemonfae, all students have been required to carry one weapon of silvered steel and one of cold-forged iron. I'm happy to let one of the warriors borrow it, if it will help? I've also been taught that sometimes fire or acid can be effective where ordinary steel is not."

She pauses a moment in thought, idly bouncing the blade in her hand. "Maybe we can lure this rat-man to us? Let it be known in the village that Sir Lysander has been attacked, and is too badly wounded to move. The rat-man may come himself to finish the job, or at least send more agents who could potentially give us a better idea of who he is."

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

The orc snivels and whines, not understanding the conversation unfolding but clearly seeing the implications of the myriad sharp weapons waving in its direction. At Krag's insistent questioning it starts blabbing quickly in orcish, trying to save its skin

"He was a rat. A big black juicy rat he was big as a little dog. He came crawling and then..." his red eyes bug out somewhat comically as he tries to mime the transformational phenomena "...then he change before us. Turned into a little man. But still a rat. About so tall but skinny. Not a big fighter like me. Said his name was Klo-Ten. Or Cloten. Something like that. He had a skinny sword in one hand and a bag of gold in the other. Some armour, not heavy armour just leathers. A cloak, blue like the night sky. Grey shirt, brownish trousers. An amulet - bone, but fancy, with some gems in it. Um, a bow. Belts, like this..." he indicates a bandoleer "...with things in it. Little bottles. Oh and there were some other rats. Big ones. I saw them lurking behind him and then when he changed into the ratman they came out and scurry around his legs. Would've made some nice skewers I guess, but then after he gave us the gold he turned back into a rat and they all scurry away back to the village."

The orc turns its squat head around to look each of you, hoping to be spared but resigned to its fate.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Leaving the orc to its fate at the hands of one of the others the dwarf relays the news if a were rat to the others. "Fastest walkers can head back to town 'n pick up some silver gear. Rest of us will wait here and ambush this monster when it gets 'ere."

He gestures at the hut. "I'll be waiting in there. Dwarves ain't built for speed and all that."

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

With the questioning of the orc at an end, the party confers regarding the next move. The decision is made that Fintan, Anthony, Krag and Sir Lysander will remain at the lodge, in case the wererat that hired the orc gang returns. Savin and Temiryl will return to the village to gather equipment and information.

The elf and the coldlander gather their weapons, check their armour, and prepare for the hustle back to Hultail. Stealthily but quickly they move through the dappled shadows of the forest, and before long they find themselves at the edge of the woods. The midday sun is hot on the fields ahead of them and insects buzz all around. The occasional farmstead stands visible before them and also within sight the roofs of Hultail itself. They set off along a low stone fence line, making their way toward the village...

Spoiler: next steps
    Show
    For those waiting back at the hunting lodge, do you want to make any preparations or otherwise busy yourself while you wait?

For those on the shopping trip, where would you like to go first (weaponsmith, general goods store, inn, church, militia HQ, etc) and will you go together or will you split up (DM rubs hands together in evil glee at the separated party members)

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Temiryl leaves her silvered dagger, flask of oil, and torch with the people who remain at the lodge - poor weapons perhaps, but better than none. She takes two of the swords with her, in the hope they will be sufficient for trade.

Once outside the village, she turns to the northman. "I think our best bet is to try the weaponsmith first. Failing that, inform Captain Ghini and try the general store for alchemist's fire, acid, and oil. Whatever course of action, we should try to return as quickly as possible."

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

Anthony makes the scene look as much like it was when the party arrived as humanly possible: dead orcs are taken inside the house and put in a corner, their gear is all gathered and put on the horse, which is led into the house too and made to lie on the floor. A battleaxe is "fixed" so thet it's head would fall of when used and given to the orc. Five javelins have their heads removed and given to the orc. Orc is told to stand, guard, greet rat-man just like originally intended. He's also told he might just as well be left alive if we get the rat-man. Then Anthony gets inside the house too and watches the outside (through a window) and the orc (through a narrow gap left between the doors).

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Savin nods in agreement with the elf. "Or, perhaps with some persuasive words, the good captain may be able to provide some help." he says as he lopes easily by her side. "With Sir Aulbes' men vanquished, she should be providing something to help protect her people."
    As they move, he shifts his axe to his off-hand and takes out a javelin.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

"A good point - the militia may have some silvered weapons in their armoury that the Captain might be willing to loan us; and she would certainly have more influence than us with the weaponsmith. To Captain Ghini first, then."
    With Hultail now in sight, Temiryl heads directly for the militia headquarters with Savin. Aware that potentially any of the villagers could be this rat-man, she keeps her eyes open for anyone heading in the direction they have just come from, our anyone who might be paying a little too much interest in their movements.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

Temiryl and Savin move through the fields with no hindrance. Upon reaching the village they try to act normally, less urgent and on-edge, as they approach the militia building. A crippled militiaman sits outside in the sun, working away at stitching on greaves for his remaining leg. He waves them in with barely a look.

Captain Ghini looks up from her work as they enter, a scowl on her features "What, you're all that's left?! I told you to be careful!" As Temiryl and Savin explain the recent events, and that they are not the only survivors from a reckless band of adventurers, her expression softens.

"Cloten you say? I knew it. I've suspected him for some time but haven't had anything more than a hunch to go on. He's a sour one. He runs the local mill. He's done very well for himself with his milling. Never spares a penny or a thought for anyone in need. But a wererat? That is disturbing. I wonder if he's recently turned - that could explain the killings starting six months ago, and why he didn't want Cyrus or Sir Lysander looking into it.

Anyway, we won't know for certain until we catch him and search his premises for more information. We should be prompt about it - if we act now we could prevent further murders, and the last thing I want is to be fighting a murderous wererat at night-time.

What do you think - will you gather your companions and help me apprehend Cloten? Or do you have another plan? The reward still stands - 500 gold if you're in."

Her demeanor has completely changed now, from surly and agitated to energized and invigorated. Even the wolf at her feet has risen and seems excited and ready for action.

Back at the lodge the other party members wait, the odd brief conversation occurring as you pass the time.

"That is a fine horse you have" remarks Sir Aulbes looking over Anthony's plain attire as he sharpens a sword, waiting "May I ask how you came across such a splendid animal?"

"A dwarven wizard. Fascinating. We have wizards in Cormyr of course, even a War Wizards college for the more military-minded. There's not many dwarves around here though. A few to the north, in the Dales I believe. Tell me, is that where you have come from, or are you from further afield?"

And to Fintan "You certainly have the bearing of a fine gentleman. In fact, you look somewhat familiar. Have we met before? I can't quite place it." he doesn't seem suspicious, simply passing the time with somewhat thoughtless banter.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

Anthony sits on some remains of the furniture, keeps an eye out and seemingly enjoys the conversation.

"My family is comfortably wealthy, so the horse was not a problem. Father just took an old friend of his that is well versed in horses, checked what was for sale in Suzail, found it good enough and bought it. I believe it was bred and raised around here, maybe Hultail or Thunderstone or somewhere in between. The outfit and the gear is just so that youngsters don't wander around feeling rich. A family tradition. On both sides, actually, so I was rather lucky to be handed that much, although I admit being a competent rider and called a "knight" did not hurt the negitiations." - Anthony tapped a finger on his club and grinned - "One has to know how much is too much, hasn't he? Just fine with me. Anyway, it's not like I would be struggling to earn decent money. That would have been unprecedented."