New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Help me with ideas for my world

I'm starting to make a new setting for my next 5e campaign, and I was wondering if you guys could come up with any ideas. You could come up with an organization (good or evil), a fleshed-out clan, a dungeon or adventure site, a piece of fluff about a creature, whatever you want. I might incorporate just about anything. I do have some things that I know will be part of my world, though:

-The world is relatively low-magic, with Sorcerers and Warlocks being the only full casters, and even then they are persecuted and feared in most clans. Deities do not directly interact with the world.
    -PC races will be Humans, Halflings, Orcs (CN instead of CE most of the time), Dragonborn, Gnomes (Only Deep Gnomes), Dragonborn and obviously Half-Orcs. I'm not sure about monster races, although I know there will be Gnolls and Kobolds.
    -Most of the world is a sparsely populated wilderness with small to medium-sized clans competing for survival, and use mostly bronze-age technology, with iron being widely known but very rare and expensive (I'm thinking of using iron weapons as +1 weapons in the game). Raiders and savages are common.
    -There is a relatively large empire with iron age technology, but it will be distant and the PCs will not know about it at first.
    -There was an even larger empire including the area the PCs start in, but it has been gone for at least a few centuries.
    -Dragons are common and powerful but unintelligent, and some clans worship them as gods.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Help me with ideas for my world

I would suggest checking out the Snippets of Creativity thread, right here in this sub-forum. Its full off great bits of setting fluff that you can copy or take as a jumping off point. In fact, I've posted there several times, feel free to use my ideas if they appeal to you. Other than that, I've got a couple of suggestions:
    -I love dragons, and the idea that some people worship them is great. A dragon cult could be the perfect evil group to oppose the players. Ever seen Conan the Barbarian and that snake cult? Something like that could be cool

-In fact, you mentioned dragonborn as a PC race. Dragonborn would be natural leaders in an area that worships dragons because the people would see these draconic humanoids and see a demigod walking among them

-A particularly clever orc chieftain could be organizing a large war party, combining several orc tribes together for some purpose. Perhaps they want to raid the empire you mentioned. Maybe they want to kill a dragon and take its hoard (assuming your unintelligent dragons still hoard treasure). Maybe no one knows why but man, does that many orcs in one place scare people or what? Someone should do something about it.

-Perhaps the fallen empire you mentioned was a Dwarven empire and most iron weapons that exist are actually plundered relics from the Dwarven craftsmen from a past age

-Since orcs aren't always chaotic evil, maybe half-orcs aren't hated as much. Maybe people of this age see half-orcs as strong workers and warriors and give them a good amount of respect. Strong individuals are always needed in a bronze age world, who cares if they're mint green with an under-bite
    I prefer Pathfinder to D&D but we can still be friends if you don't
    Always eager to help. Send me a PM if you need help with a homebrew/world building thing. I'm no master by any means but I can try my best.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Help me with ideas for my world

Quote Originally Posted by slachance6 View Post
    -Most of the world is a sparsely populated wilderness with small to medium-sized clans competing for survival, and use mostly bronze-age technology, with iron being widely known but very rare and expensive (I'm thinking of using iron weapons as +1 weapons in the game). Raiders and savages are common.
    -There is a relatively large empire with iron age technology, but it will be distant and the PCs will not know about it at first.
    Something to note here (though it doesn't really matter if none of your players know) is that early Wrought Iron was not noticeably superior to Bronze in actual effectiveness. The reason Iron is treated as an advancement on bronze is that smelting iron requires more heat than smelting copper or tin (requiring more advanced kilns) and that Iron can be found in one place, whereas Copper and Tin are rarely found together. Thus, the reason Iron largely replaced Bronze was mainly logistics.

(Later advances in metallurgy such as basic steeling did render Iron generally superior, though.)