New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: MMO like tabletop

Which one do you think works better with the use of a percentile rolling against your stats like in dark heresy or rolling and adding your stats like the d20 usually does?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    Which one do you think works better with the use of a percentile rolling against your stats like in dark heresy or rolling and adding your stats like the d20 usually does?
    I'd vary it according to need. A simple check, roll d% under your skill; the attributes should modify the skill somehow, but can also be independent. An opposed check, roll d% and add your skill, higher total wins. It's easier to handle, and avoids some issues that crop up otherwise.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Your problem with players being annoyed at other characters for doing different things indicates that they haven't played enough MMOs. Some are very flexible in roles when the classes start taking different builds within the class itself. They may need to be reminded of this fact; class alone does not determine destiny.
    "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us 'The nicest of the damned'.."
    - They Might Be Giants, "Road Movie To Berlin"

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Okay so im using the ability scores strength, toughness, agility and spirit. Im not sure what other ones i should add, so can anyone give me any ideas? I really dont want intelligence and charisma simply because players tend to hide behind these instead of role play as much.

5. - Top - End - #35

Okay so im using the ability scores strength, toughness, agility and spirit. Im not sure what other ones i should add, so can anyone give me any ideas? I really dont want intelligence and charisma simply because players tend to hide behind these instead of role play as much.
    You may or may not want to include speed and/or reflexes.

You may or may not want to include perception.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    You may or may not want to include speed and/or reflexes.

You may or may not want to include perception.
    So im thinking then an alertness score but wouldent speed and reflex be within the range of agility?

7. - Top - End - #37

So im thinking then an alertness score but wouldent speed and reflex be within the range of agility?
    If you want it to be, yeah.
    The Cranky Gamer

8. - Top - End - #38
    Firbolg in the Playground

Mathematically percentage roll under and d20 add modifiers are identical. The only time it matters is when you have modifiers smaller than 5 percent, but generally these would be so insignificent they are unlikely to actually matter in play.

Personally when I created Heart of Darkness I started out dong percentile roll under, but switched to d20 plus modifier. I find it is much faster and more intuitive, particularly if you need to roll multiple dice at one. For example, if I have five mooks shooting at the PCs I can just grab 5d20 and roll them. That is much easier than finding 10d10, sorting them into pairs, and distinguishing the tens digit and the ones digit.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Banned

You might want something like Arcana and Presence to replace Intelligence and Charisma.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

I personally favor roll and add systems for the most part, largely from a usability perspective. Though I will include the caveat that adding the stats like in a d20 system is clumsy, as the use of both attributes and attribute modifiers is generally just a nuisance.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    You might want something like Arcana and Presence to replace Intelligence and Charisma.
    The presence is just renaming charisma but i might still use it as the counter ti awareness. The arcana idea is brilliant i was fretting about casters in the game using a single stat were he warriors woulds need a mixture of all stats. I thank you for that it was really helpful.

So i was wondering how should i deal with crafting in the game. Should i make it a skill or subclass or what?
    Last edited by Thatwarforged; 2014-12-05 at 06:51 PM.