1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default looking for low level aquatic monster that threatens lvl3 party

Hi guys,

As the title states, I'm looking for a monster that could discourage the players (lvl3) from entering the water (underground lake). The fight should be hard, but not unwinnable.

Other ways across involve a bit of puzzling, but if they are not resourceful enough, battle should be an option. However, this means that the monsters should not try to actively engage the players, only defend themselves when disturbed. Purely aquatic monsters seems to fit.

I was thinking of chokers from 3.5, but I can't seem to find their 4E equivalent. Do you have a suggestion? What swims in these dark waters?
    My personal folder is a graveyard of ideas, stuck in their dream phase.
    The "DM won't kill us" attitude is a bubble that sometimes needs to be bursted.
    There's an armor variant rule in UA that will drastically increase character survivability without completely bubble-wrapping them in plot invulnerability
    Throphies won:
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: looking for low level aquatic monster that threatens lvl3 party

Quote Originally Posted by Garwain View Post
    Hi guys,

As the title states, I'm looking for a monster that could discourage the players (lvl3) from entering the water (underground lake). The fight should be hard, but not unwinnable.

Other ways across involve a bit of puzzling, but if they are not resourceful enough, battle should be an option. However, this means that the monsters should not try to actively engage the players, only defend themselves when disturbed. Purely aquatic monsters seems to fit.

I was thinking of chokers from 3.5, but I can't seem to find their 4E equivalent. Do you have a suggestion? What swims in these dark waters?
    Fairly certain there is a choker that fits the bill. You can look up Cavern Choker for ideas, otherwise.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Monster Vault has Shark statistics (level 5 brute). Throw a bunch of those at your players and refluff them to be *ahem* 'Abominable cave beasts whose blind eyes are nothing but white spots on their gray skin. They viciously tear at you with their long, sharp teeth, targeting the weak and wounded. Somehow, you feel as if they are more than a simple animal, as if they are intelligent like you.'

EDIT: Also, Young Black Dragon from the same book should work. Again, refluff as appropriate.
    Last edited by Dire_Stirge; 2014-11-27 at 02:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    This method is far too simple, as members of the Playground we must endeavor to find a convoluted and borderline-munchkiny way to achieve the same result.
    My homebrew

Awesome stirge avatar by Cuthalion.

Spoiler: The place where evil sleeps
    Show
    / This is Bob. Copy and paste him so he can take over GITP.
    /▌
    ./\

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Or just call them cave sharks. You know.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thanks guys. I kinda feel silly for not finding the choker in the MM1. Although the 'cave shark' seems like a good fit. I'll need to tune down its statistics as a lvl10 brute might be a bit much for them...
    My personal folder is a graveyard of ideas, stuck in their dream phase.
    The "DM won't kill us" attitude is a bubble that sometimes needs to be bursted.
    There's an armor variant rule in UA that will drastically increase character survivability without completely bubble-wrapping them in plot invulnerability
    Throphies won:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, god, MM1.

Don't use it. It's pretty bad. Monsters deal too little damage and have too much HP. Use Monster's Vault or MM3 instead.

Or you could use MM3 in a Business Card, too. That thing is excellent for designing monsters.
    RIP in peace Custom Avatar by TheMadHatter.

A World In War - WWI, D&D 4e Style! OOC up and running! And so is the IC!

Quotes!:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

Working on a fantasy webstory. Doctor Who may or may not be referenced right out of the box.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

If you want something to make them shy away from the area, look into the Lacedon. Undead water ghouls that drag down adventurers to the depths to make more Lacedons. They're level 8-9 by default but reworking the numbers has always been quite easy.

Sadly I can't think of what book they're from off the top of my head, sorry!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

It's from Dungeon 184 and Dungeon 215.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Cavern Choker is reprinted in Dungeon Magazine 196, and is well built there. A few of those waiting to nab people would be a disaster for a low-level party.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Here's an article I've found helpful when I've needed to scale monsters up or down for my game.
    http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/Artic...4dmxp/20110317

11. - Top - End - #11