New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Baldur's Gate: The Thread

I took Haer'Dalis all the way through once. Once he had Enhanced Bard Song he was pretty much a mobile totem, singing all the time, except when he paused to set spike traps.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Troll in the Playground

Why is it that Imoen and Haer'dalis can partake of the Drow Massage Parlor above the tavern, but no one else in my party can? My muscles could use a little relaxation.

3DS Name: Rezzy, FC: 0104-0343-1530

Lots of bred Pokemon, complete list on my Gym Leader Page of the Giant League Wiki, PM me if you'd like to trade for one.

Fire Emblem Fates Castle Address
    05107-66614
    62592-54117

3. - Top - End - #873

My protagonists always can. If Imoen can and Haer'Dalis can and your protagonist can't...

It's probably based on Charisma; does your protagonist have a low Charisma?

4. - Top - End - #874
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    My protagonists always can. If Imoen can and Haer'Dalis can and your protagonist can't...

It's probably based on Charisma; does your protagonist have a low Charisma?
    I have the ring that raises it to 18. I don't remember what it is without it. Maybe romancing Kelsey has something to do with it, but like I said, he hasn't done any dialogue in forever.

Lots of bred Pokemon, complete list on my Gym Leader Page of the Giant League Wiki, PM me if you'd like to trade for one.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

5. - Top - End - #875
    Troll in the Playground

Gah, now I remember why I try to keep my mods to a minimum. I just got out of the Underdark, and now whenever I try to go into the slums, some NPC initiates dialogue with me that seems to take random clips from other dialogue chains and makes no sense together. For example, it says he turns his head to Nalia who is not even in my party right now. Even my dialogue options make no sense. It's not gibberish, but it's random. Haer'dalis (or at least his portrait) joins in the conversation, and at the end of it all, Haer'dalis is gone and I have no idea what to do.

Even looking at my journal doesn't help. It says something like "Excellent, see ya".

I tried dropping Kelsey out of my group, as he's had weird effects on the dialogue before, but it's still happening. I might try uninstalling Kelsey, but I'm not sure what sort of effect that will have on the rest of the mods I have installed.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

6. - Top - End - #876
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Restarted Icewind Dale 2. Had to burn a ton of resources to get through the early fight, especially since I have a 3 person party... an Asimaar Paladin/Painbearer, a Drow Bard, and a Svirfneblin Monk/Rogue.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Restarted Icewind Dale 2. Had to burn a ton of resources to get through the early fight, especially since I have a 3 person party... an Asimaar Paladin/Painbearer, a Drow Bard, and a Svirfneblin Monk/Rogue.
    I forget if it's Icewind Dale 1 or 2, but I think you can go through the early game with a full party, export the characters once you get a level or two, then import them at the very beginning to make the early game a bit more forgiving, if you're using a small party.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

8. - Top - End - #878

Quote Originally Posted by Rezkeshdadesh View Post
    I forget if it's Icewind Dale 1 or 2, but I think you can go through the early game with a full party, export the characters once you get a level or two, then import them at the very beginning to make the early game a bit more forgiving, if you're using a small party.
    Both of them, actually. Even with the level adjustments everyone was sporting (1, 2, and 3, actually), everyone had at least 2 class levels by the time the fight started. Part of my problem was that Paladin/Painbearer is pretty much THE melee guy... the gnome is weak, the drow is fragile, but the P/P has an 18 Strength, 18 Con, and uses two-handed weapons.

In know in IWD1, I would start a single-player game in Heart of Winter, go through all the conversation quests and such in town and with the Barbarians, and then export my character. Even if I turned on Heart of Fury mode for that (and the double XP), nothing involves combat and you can export to start IWD with a single-classed character in the 9th level range.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Troll in the Playground

I'm actually half-way through Icewind Dale 1, myself.

It's a lot harder than I remembered. Even with my years of Infinity-engine experience.

Still fun though.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

10. - Top - End - #880

I want to solo IWD again. I've done it with a Bard and a Paladin, but I can't remember if I was using mods to do it.
    The Cranky Gamer

11. - Top - End - #881
    Troll in the Playground

I just use the full, 6-man, classic IWD team. Human Paladin, elf Cleric/Ranger, halfling Fighter/Thief, elf Fighter/Wizard, half-elf Bard, elf Wizard. Without any XP-increasing tricks. It's still plenty difficult.

I've only ever solo'd BG2 with a F/T/W. It was... tedious more than anything else, really.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

12. - Top - End - #882

I have the ring that raises it to 18. I don't remember what it is without it. Maybe romancing Kelsey has something to do with it, but like I said, he hasn't done any dialogue in forever.
    I know this comment is a month old now (exactly a month old today), but the thread isn't, so I can still post and I just realized two things that might be relevant.

1) Almost certainly the Kelsey romance shuts off the highly suggestive massage. It's very much the kind of thing Jason Compton would do.
    2) Kelsey doesn't talk much in the Underdark, particularly. (Don't take this as an endorsement.)

13. - Top - End - #883
    Troll in the Playground

I know this comment is a month old now (exactly a month old today), but the thread isn't, so I can still post and I just realized two things that might be relevant.

1) Almost certainly the Kelsey romance shuts off the highly suggestive massage. It's very much the kind of thing Jason Compton would do.
    2) Kelsey doesn't talk much in the Underdark, particularly. (Don't take this as an endorsement.)
    I didn't know the necromancy law applied to individual posts. It seems kinda silly to me, but that's neither here nor there.

I've since gotten out of the Underdark and dropped of Kelsey. I know lots of people advocate using mods, but I've found that once I get past a couple mods, they just invariably mess up my game. I've got Unfinished Business and Back to Brynnlaw (I think it's called that, I haven't actually done any of its content yet, as far as I know). That's part of the reason I like Enhanced Edition. I can get new NPCs and stuff without having to worry about all my various mods interacting with it.

I managed to brute force my way past that glitch where I kept getting force talked by some NPCs and Haer'dalis got beamed away magically and I had no idea what happened. I dropped Haer off, maybe temporarily, maybe not, and just killed the NPCs. I suffered a massive Repuation hit, going from 20 to 6, and hopefully, I didn't mess anything up too seriously, but it was keeping me from entering the Slums.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

14. - Top - End - #884

I presume it doesn't, that's why I replied at all. I just figured the information was unlikely to be current.

15. - Top - End - #885
    Troll in the Playground

I presume it doesn't, that's why I replied at all. I just figured the information was unlikely to be current.
    It's all the same to me. I'm playing a half a dozen different games off and on right now, so my progress has been somewhat slow.

I still need to get back to my Pillars of Eternity run, come to think of it.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

16. - Top - End - #886
    Troll in the Playground

If I had that happen to me, I would download ShadowKeeper/EEKeeper to fix my reputation.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

17. - Top - End - #887

I didn't know the necromancy law applied to individual posts. It seems kinda silly to me, but that's neither here nor there.
    The Mod Wonder: It doesn't. If it's an active thread, then it's an active post.
    The Cranky Gamer

18. - Top - End - #888
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mangosta71 View Post
    If I had that happen to me, I would download ShadowKeeper/EEKeeper to fix my reputation.
    I've got EEKeeper and may bump it up a bit, but I'm not being actively attacked, so it's not an immediate concern. I raised it to 10 by donating to a temple. I wonder if I have enough quests left to raise it to max naturally.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

19. - Top - End - #889
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    I just use the full, 6-man, classic IWD team. Human Paladin, elf Cleric/Ranger, halfling Fighter/Thief, elf Fighter/Wizard, half-elf Bard, elf Wizard. Without any XP-increasing tricks. It's still plenty difficult.
    Okay, I take it all back. My bard just hit level 9, and now I laugh in the face of danger. War Chant of Sith is ridiculous.

Severed Hand was pretty difficult though.

20. - Top - End - #890

Yeah, War Chant of the Sith is the game-changer on bards. If you're a solo bard, it rules the game.
    The Cranky Gamer

21. - Top - End - #891

Does the first line of it go, "Peace is a lie, there is only passion?"

22. - Top - End - #892
    Troll in the Playground

Does the first line of it go, "Peace is a lie, there is only passion?"
    So I guess there's no requirement that your party have no more than 2 PCs, either?

05107-66614
    62592-54117

23. - Top - End - #893
    Firbolg in the Playground

I like Baldur's Gate but take issue with the fact that it's real-time.

24. - Top - End - #894

Just set auto-pause on end of round.

25. - Top - End - #895

I have a few different auto-pauses I use... spell cast, target dead, etc. to allow me to switch up when I need to, but let the mundane parts of combat run.

I do miss that EE got rid of "Guard" as a default option. I used that all the time in combat with humanoids. "Everyone, stand in about this area and hit whatever comes near you."
    The Cranky Gamer

26. - Top - End - #896
    Troll in the Playground

I use auto-pause on spell cast only for time stop/improved alacrity shenanigans. I do use on weapon unusable for running out of ammo or energy orbs or whatever, and on party death to know whether to reload

27. - Top - End - #897
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So I've been playing around with classes I haven't really looked at much in BG2:EE. Yesterday I rolled up a Half-Orc Barbarian, and he started with 193 HP. This seems a bit excessive since with a 19 Con, he should have 17 HP per level, which would be 136 HP at Lvl 8. Is there some HP boost that I'm missing that Barbarians are getting in BG2?

28. - Top - End - #898
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm replaying Baldur's Gate 2 right now. I'm a bit miffed that when Lady Delcia Caan goes on a classist rant at you there's no option to snap that you're of higher birth than her (I mean, surely even the illegitimate child of a god is equal to a legitimate scion of a high ranking mortal noble family)

29. - Top - End - #899
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I'm replaying Baldur's Gate 2 right now. I'm a bit miffed that when Lady Delcia Caan goes on a classist rant at you there's no option to snap that you're of higher birth than her (I mean, surely even the illegitimate child of a god is equal to a legitimate scion of a high ranking mortal noble family)
    That was something that bugged me about BG (and I think it carried through to other Bioware games as well). The writers never seemed to be consistent about what social class you were. So you'd get nobles acting snooty because they thought you were a peasant, and peasants either addressing you as "my lord/lady" (or complaining that you think you are better than them).

I suppose it could be justified if "adventurers" were considered a separate class (less respectable than nobles, but seen (or seing themselves) as higher than commoners), but the games never emphasised this.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    That was something that bugged me about BG (and I think it carried through to other Bioware games as well). The writers never seemed to be consistent about what social class you were.
    I don't see the problem. It's called perspective.
    So you'd get nobles acting snooty because they thought you were a peasant
    You are in charge of a bunch of murderhobos (allegedly Good-aligned most of the time) clad in massive amounts of steel with outlandish spending policies.
    and peasants either addressing you as "my lord/lady" (or complaining that you think you are better than them).
    You are in charge of a bunch of murderhobos (allegedly Good-aligned most of the time) clad in massive amounts of steel with outlandish spending policies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.