New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Baldur's Gate: The Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rezkeshdadesh View Post
    I'm surprised that there's an apparent lack of Valygar Romance mods. Wasn't he supposed to be one of the female romance options that was cut before the final release? I'd go for him over Anomen or Haer'dalis.
    I think there was also a mini Valygar Romance in the romantic encounters mod..maybe that one, it was basically previewed in some mod and whoever wrote that part was going to expand it into a full mod but I dont think it ever got finished and released.

3DS friend code: 0748-2783-1667
    Mii name: Sajiri

Ruya avatar by me!
    My Tumblr (more active than Deviantart these days)
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Isn't Gaelen supposed to send for you once you have around 10K gold? Maybe I just need to wait, or maybe one of the mods is interacting. I always tend to do most of the sidequests before getting Imoen, but don't want to game to break.

3DS Name: Rezzy, FC: 0104-0343-1530

Lots of bred Pokemon, complete list on my Gym Leader Page of the Giant League Wiki, PM me if you'd like to trade for one.

Fire Emblem Fates Castle Address
    05107-66614
    62592-54117

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Mages and priests get new spells, which are far more interesting. I'm not talking about power here.
    Does that show up on the Level Up Screen though? That's what I thought you were talking about.

Besides, Rangers and Paladins get spells too - eventually. Rangers and Paladins in BG1 are top tier. They start the game strong, and finish even stronger.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Solution to Aerie's wing angst: you're a Mage, just cast Fly on yourself.

Lots of bred Pokemon, complete list on my Gym Leader Page of the Giant League Wiki, PM me if you'd like to trade for one.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Solution to Aerie's wing angst: you're a Mage, just cast Fly on yourself.
    Right, as soon as I learn Dimension Door like everyone else around me does.

Oh wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    Right, as soon as I learn Dimension Door like everyone else around me does.

Oh wait.
    You must have taken Stuff Bioware Didn't Want to Program as a barred school.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

7. - Top - End - #127
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sajiri View Post
    I think there was a mod that makes it so neutral characters dont complain if your reputation gets too high or low. At least, I remember playing a good character and Jaheira was always saying how happy she was
    Try the tweak pack, pretty sure it's got an option to do that.

Isn't Gaelen supposed to send for you once you have around 10K gold? Maybe I just need to wait, or maybe one of the mods is interacting. I always tend to do most of the sidequests before getting Imoen, but don't want to game to break.
    He comes in at 15k, you're still good.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Does that show up on the Level Up Screen though? That's what I thought you were talking about.

Besides, Rangers and Paladins get spells too - eventually. Rangers and Paladins in BG1 are top tier. They start the game strong, and finish even stronger.
    I wonder what it is about my posts that makes people take them far too literally.

I ended up making another Black Pits party. The end result is a Dwarven Defender, Half-Orc Kensai, Inquisitor, Elf Archer, Half-Elf Transmuter and Halfling Priest of Helm. It seems Halflings get a penalty to wisdom now for some reason. Oh well. The Kensai keels over with predictable frequency. I think stocking up on Potions of Defence is in order, since the potions seller has an unlimited supply.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder what it is about my posts that makes people take them far too literally.

I ended up making another Black Pits party. The end result is a Dwarven Defender, Half-Orc Kensai, Inquisitor, Elf Archer, Half-Elf Transmuter and Halfling Priest of Helm. It seems Halflings get a penalty to wisdom now for some reason. Oh well. The Kensai keels over with predictable frequency. I think stocking up on Potions of Defence is in order, since the potions seller has an unlimited supply.
    Yeah, the Kensai has terrible defense. It must be supplemented by an outside source, be it potions, buffs, or self-buffs through dual class.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

So are Dorn's quests incompatible with Keldorn and Anomen, even if I don't have them in the party at the same time? Do his quests permanently change the Radient Heart HQ?

05107-66614
    62592-54117

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

I seem to have reached the finale of Black Pits. Good to see Baeloth continues the best traditions of Baldur's Gate by cheating with multiple Sequesters and Contingencies.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

So are Dorn's quests incompatible with Keldorn and Anomen, even if I don't have them in the party at the same time? Do his quests permanently change the Radient Heart HQ?
    No, it's actually a different version of the map - nobody that matters to the original game is there or reacts to any of it.

That said, I imagine Dorn himself is incompatable with Keldorn and Anomen, just as he was with Ajantis. Keldorn can abide nearly anyone, but I don't think even he's capable of giving Dorn a fair chance (not that Dorn would make good on said chance in any case - there is nobody you can recruit that is as outright and actively evil as Dorn, including Korgan).

I seem to have reached the finale of Black Pits. Good to see Baeloth continues the best traditions of Baldur's Gate by cheating with multiple Sequesters and Contingencies.
    It's even better if you recruit him in BG1EE. Apparently his "I wish to be protected from death" wasn't wise to demand of a genie who dislikes you. He gets stripped of a lot of levels and dropped alone and helpless on the surface in front of a band of adventurers who would probably kill him if they weren't so busy laughing at his alliteration.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

Halfling Priest of Helm. It seems Halflings get a penalty to wisdom now for some reason. Oh well.
    This has always been the case, actually, even in a vanilla game. It's not such a terrible deal. 18 CON halflings also get bonus saving throws since they're a race of shorties. And 19 Dex on a support caster (I figure most single-classed clerics fall into that niche) isn't bad, you can do some really mean stuff with the innate halfling proficiency in slings and all that Dexterity once you've exhausted your spell compendium. And you can make a successful Cleric/Thief unless that multiclass is barred for some reason for halflings.

It's not documented in the game but maybe the fact that Dwarves can't have maximum 18 Charisma and Gnomes and Halflings can't have maximum 18 Wisdom is some sort of a counterbalance mechanic due to how awesome their racial powers are. Any dwarf with 19 CON has some really serious saving throw boni, and a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist with 18 CON is also a fun, safe build.
    Last edited by Winthur; 2014-12-08 at 03:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    It's even better if you recruit him in BG1EE. Apparently his "I wish to be protected from death" wasn't wise to demand of a genie who dislikes you. He gets stripped of a lot of levels and dropped alone and helpless on the surface in front of a band of adventurers who would probably kill him if they weren't so busy laughing at his alliteration.
    I presume he also loses the ability to have more than one copy of those spells going.

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    This has always been the case, actually, even in a vanilla game. It's not such a terrible deal. 18 CON halflings also get bonus saving throws since they're a race of shorties. And 19 Dex on a support caster (I figure most single-classed clerics fall into that niche) isn't bad, you can do some really mean stuff with the innate halfling proficiency in slings and all that Dexterity once you've exhausted your spell compendium. And you can make a successful Cleric/Thief unless that multiclass is barred for some reason for halflings.

It's not documented in the game but maybe the fact that Dwarves can't have maximum 18 Charisma and Gnomes and Halflings can't have maximum 18 Wisdom is some sort of a counterbalance mechanic due to how awesome their racial powers are. Any dwarf with 19 CON has some really serious saving throw boni, and a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist with 18 CON is also a fun, safe build.
    Huh. I didn't actually know that. It may be because I've never tried to make a halfling cleric before. But yes, 19 Dexterity on a cleric isn't bad. It gives him a decent chance to hit something with his sling, and good AC. I think the only multiclass available to halflings is fighter/thief, though.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

Oh Storekeeper in Mae'Var's HQ, why must you go red? I don't want to hurt you.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

After a second attempt, Baeloth's cheating did not save him from succumbing to a righteous beating after a well-timed Dispel Magic from my Inquisitor stripped away his defences. For all the byzantine spells and counter-spells Baldur's Gate has, the Inquisitor's innate Dispel Magic works wonders and is much simpler. So, that's Black Pits done with. Now to try to figure out how to beat Sarevok and grab BG2:EE if it goes on another sale.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

I still haven't gotten the next stade of Hexxat's quest to start. When is this Mr. L supposed to show up?

05107-66614
    62592-54117

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

I bought BG2:EE. Unfortunately, it apparently really is bugged. And now I need to finally beat Sarevok somehow. Maybe I'll just Ctrl+Y his buddies and wear him down.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I bought BG2:EE. Unfortunately, it apparently really is bugged. And now I need to finally beat Sarevok somehow. Maybe I'll just Ctrl+Y his buddies and wear him down.
    I used the strategy that always works in these games. Draw aggro and run so you can pick them off one at a time.

That'd my go to move. That or using a protection from magic scroll on my paladin main character and have him go in and solo it.

Then there is the morally questionable move of summoning a bunch of crap to serve as cannon fodder. That's how I beat that insane demon in ulgoth's beard. I'd go in with neera, she'd use her wand of monster summons right in front of the demon and I'd run around hasted chopping all the minions down so I only had to face the demon once, then a scroll of protection from magic to remove his stupid death gaze effect.

When I first played this game over a decade ago that's how I killed all the stupid liches in BG2. Run in and run out until he doesn't follow you. Then go get a cup of coffee while all the buffs it cast on itself wear off.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

My strategy was to have my mages (my skald, Neera, and Imoen) just place as many skull traps as humanly possible just on the edge of the where they would see me, particularly on the edges (where the minions are). Then used my casters to summon decent medium duration summons (don't need 8 hours, but 8 turns is good) to buff my forces. Then I walked up just enough to initiate the fight and retreated back towards the door. The skull traps did a lot of damage to the minions (not much to Sarevok, unfortunately). With a lot of summons out and Neera and Imoen flipping to shortbow/sling, I used bardic music to buff everyone, using the horde to wipe out one follower after another while my tank drank health potions like water to keep ahead of Sarevok. Took me a couple of tries to get it right, but ultimately it worked pretty darn well.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

I only have one mage, Neera. And no wands or scrolls of summoning. Or protection from magic scrolls. So it's not looking too great.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I only have one mage, Neera. And no wands or scrolls of summoning. Or protection from magic scrolls. So it's not looking too great.
    Okay, what do you have?
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

My team consists of:

• My human Fighter, with a "kit" that I introduced using the console. The idea is that he's restricted to studded leather or chainmail but gets the Spins like the Blade kit. Other than that he's a Fighter, using a two-hander.
    • Ajantis, fighting with a sword and shield.
    • Kivan, with a pair of axes.
    • Imoen, a full Thief.
    • Faldorn
    • Neera

I have an assortment of strength potions, defence potions and a few magic resistance, shielding and blocking potions. Also fear wands, fire wands, ice wands and lightning wands, but no summon wands. I do have a protection from magic scroll, as it turns out.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

My team consists of:

• My human Fighter, with a "kit" that I introduced using the console. The idea is that he's restricted to studded leather or chainmail but gets the Spins like the Blade kit. Other than that he's a Fighter, using a two-hander.
    • Ajantis, fighting with a sword and shield.
    • Kivan, with a pair of axes.
    • Imoen, a full Thief.
    • Faldorn
    • Neera

I have an assortment of strength potions, defence potions and a few magic resistance, shielding and blocking potions. Also fear wands, fire wands, ice wands and lightning wands, but no summon wands. I do have a protection from magic scroll, as it turns out.
    You are very melee heavy team, there, and I'm rather surprised that anyone uses Faldorn. If I were you, I'd retreat for a moment and visit Sorcerous Sundries to get some supplements for Neera. You can do so even after entering the temple (as long as you don't start the fight). I like the girl, but Wild Magic is not something you want to rely on in a boss battle, especially as your only mage. Get some wands. Summon Monster is a very handy one. Protection from magic is another worthwhile scroll if you can get it - shuts down a spellcaster quite handily.

If Faldorn can cast it, memorize a slot or two of Iron Skins. If Neera can cast it, memorize a slot or two of stoneskin. The enemies here can just about one-shot either of them, so every one of the skins they get via those spells is a life saved. Duration is great enough that you can cast ahead of time.

Get your best defensive fighter (sounds like your Scion) to draw Sarevok, and use Faldorn (and healing potions) to weather the assault. Focus the rest on a single target to bring them down ASAP. Protection from Magic on the mage is a great way to soften him up for an easy takedown.

Neera can be put to pretty decent use casting invisibility on Imoen so that she can backstab targets. Magic missile is pretty good for disrupting spells, too, if you can time it right. Otherwise, keep using the wand of summoning (if you can find one) to soak up damage your party would otherwise take, or any of the other wands you have. Faldorn has a few good summons as well.

The hardest part of the battle is keeping Sarevok's target alive. As a spinning fighter, you've got good health and good defense. With Faldorn's aid, you should be able to weather the storm until everyone else can join the main event.

Oh, yeah, it's a bit of an exploit, but it's handy. Put a ring of free action on your Scion. Defensive Spin + being able to move = ability to kite Sarevok. The more time he has to spend trying to get close to you, the less time he's spending trying to hit you.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2014-12-10 at 02:24 PM.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

I'm actually pretty sure they fixed this exploit in the Enhanced Edition. As far as Faldorn goes, I decided to take her into my party because I'd never done it before.

26. - Top - End - #146

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Do you have the boots of speed?

I'll say it again. Run. There is no reason this fight needs to take place in the Temple. Use the fog of war to your advantage. Pull only who you need to pull. I didn't have to kite since I just hit Sarevok with a wall of summoned monsters. Having him chase you while the rest of the party pelts him with ranged weapons works really well. If you want to stand up to him, you have the melee to do it. Potions of haste and giant strength will make this fight really short.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thialfi View Post
    Do you have the boots of speed?

I'll say it again. Run. There is no reason this fight needs to take place in the Temple. Use the fog of war to your advantage. Pull only who you need to pull. I didn't have to kite since I just hit Sarevok with a wall of summoned monsters. Having him chase you while the rest of the party pelts him with ranged weapons works really well. If you want to stand up to him, you have the melee to do it. Potions of haste and giant strength will make this fight really short.
    I think EE greatly reduced the amount of summoned creatures you could have at once, so you can't spam summon wands as nauseum anymore.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

That's correct. I tried doing it with Neera's normal summon spells, and I got a message about a limit.

29. - Top - End - #149

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I think EE greatly reduced the amount of summoned creatures you could have at once, so you can't spam summon wands as nauseum anymore.
    I just finished the Enhanced Edition for BG1. The numbers received from spells are greatly reduced. Not so the wands. You'll still get a half dozen gnolls or wolves when you use those.

Now I'm on to the Enhanced Edition for BG2. The thief options are so limited that my human paladin is forced to take Hexxat in his party to get anything done. I'm early on but one thing I noticed that they didn't fix was the troll's wonky regeneration.

This time I'm going to ultimately go with a party of characters that I didn't use in my first go around. I was looking at;

Bastion - Human Paladin PC
    Aerie - Avariel cleric/mage
    Jaheira - Half-Elf druid/fighter
    Neera - Half-Elf Wild Mage
    Mazzy - Halfling Fighter
    Jan Jansen - gnome illusionist/thief

So far, the most notable difference is that Aerie and Jaheira don't seem to get along well and everybody hates Hexxat.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thialfi View Post
    I just finished the Enhanced Edition for BG1. The numbers received from spells are greatly reduced. Not so the wands. You'll still get a half dozen gnolls or wolves when you use those.

Now I'm on to the Enhanced Edition for BG2. The thief options are so limited that my human paladin is forced to take Hexxat in his party to get anything done. I'm early on but one thing I noticed that they didn't fix was the troll's wonky regeneration.

This time I'm going to ultimately go with a party of characters that I didn't use in my first go around. I was looking at;

Bastion - Human Paladin PC
    Aerie - Avariel cleric/mage
    Jaheira - Half-Elf druid/fighter
    Neera - Half-Elf Wild Mage
    Mazzy - Halfling Fighter
    Jan Jansen - gnome illusionist/thief

So far, the most notable difference is that Aerie and Jaheira don't seem to get along well and everybody hates Hexxat.
    Anytime you have a male PC, Aerie, Jaheira, and Viconia will fight for his affection.

05107-66614
    62592-54117