New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Baldur's Gate: The Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    You lose a lot of damage output by not going for two weapons as a Kensai, though.
    In BG1 with BG2 rules, two-weapon fighting style is pretty useless, you can't start off with *** to the style so you take massive THAC0 loss for the majority of the game and even if you could, +2 to THAC0 on your offhand weapon is pretty massive early on. Also, normal weapons break in BG1 and you don't have enough proficiency points to tag every weapon. If you hog, say, Varscona and Long Sword +1 on a single character that can't even use them properly, it's not particularly efficient in the early game.

Sure, one-weapon fighting style isn't efficient except maybe low level thieves, but Kensai is utterly gimped in BG1 since the game was meant for a pure Fighter so it's not like he has better options. By BG2, Mark can easily start working on his two-weapon fighting style proficiency.

Also, by late game, once GWW and many (Improved) Hastes are available, it's actually two-handed weapons that reign supreme for pure damage output. For instance, Ravager or Staff of the Ram Kensai is the definite way to max out the damage. By late game, I figure you only care for two-weapon fighting style for the off-hand weapon's intrinsics (for example, Defender of Easthaven for tanks [particularly Barbarians], Crom Faeyr for battle clerics).
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, Crom Faeyr is IMHO 75% of the reason why dual wielding Kensai is viable in BG2.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I stand corrected, I suppose. I won't claim to have that much knowledge of the inner workings of BG2. Speaking of Fighter kits, I continue to experiment with what might eventually become my modded kit. Predictably enough, it gets stronger in BG2. I'm considering restricting its use of helmets.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Personally, I've always favored single-weapon style. -2 AC and doubled crit range are very useful, while extra attacks (at penalties) just ups the damage potential.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Personally, I've always favored single-weapon style. -2 AC and doubled crit range are very useful, while extra attacks (at penalties) just ups the damage potential.
    The problem with single-weapon style's -2 AC is that you're essentially giving up on a shield (which more than compensates for the AC) or on an off-hand weapon which can give you useful intrinsics (Arbane's Short Sword), resistances (Defender of Easthaven) or stats (Crom, Angurvadal). And AC isn't even particularly important, especially not in BG2. The crit range isn't as noticable, I don't think, as a bonus APR or the typical bonus from swinging a 1d10 or even 1d12 sword.

I mean, it has some perks, but I doubt its application past early-mid game, and only on certain classes.

In fact, I consider it underpowered enough to consider playing it sometime for funsies.
    Last edited by Winthur; 2014-12-15 at 11:11 AM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    In BG1 with BG2 rules, two-weapon fighting style is pretty useless, you can't start off with *** to the style so you take massive THAC0 loss for the majority of the game and even if you could, +2 to THAC0 on your offhand weapon is pretty massive early on. Also, normal weapons break in BG1 and you don't have enough proficiency points to tag every weapon. If you hog, say, Varscona and Long Sword +1 on a single character that can't even use them properly, it's not particularly efficient in the early game.

Sure, one-weapon fighting style isn't efficient except maybe low level thieves, but Kensai is utterly gimped in BG1 since the game was meant for a pure Fighter so it's not like he has better options. By BG2, Mark can easily start working on his two-weapon fighting style proficiency.

Also, by late game, once GWW and many (Improved) Hastes are available, it's actually two-handed weapons that reign supreme for pure damage output. For instance, Ravager or Staff of the Ram Kensai is the definite way to max out the damage. By late game, I figure you only care for two-weapon fighting style for the off-hand weapon's intrinsics (for example, Defender of Easthaven for tanks [particularly Barbarians], Crom Faeyr for battle clerics).
    Do Rangers start with two dots or three in 2WF? One can always start sword and boarding until they have enough dots to duel wield properly, as well.

3DS Name: Rezzy, FC: 0104-0343-1530

Lots of bred Pokemon, complete list on my Gym Leader Page of the Giant League Wiki, PM me if you'd like to trade for one.

Fire Emblem Fates Castle Address
    05107-66614
    62592-54117

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rezkeshdadesh View Post
    Do Rangers start with two dots or three in 2WF? One can always start sword and boarding until they have enough dots to duel wield properly, as well.
    2. And yes, except Kensai can't into shields.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

So, there I was, battling shadows in the Temple Ruins... when suddenly, Neera's attempt at casting a magic missile summoned a pit fiend. Wild mages certainly spice up this game.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

So, when I do go Dual-class as a druid, can I start picking up two-weapon style at that point? Keep my Grand Mastery of the Scimitar, and sink the two-weapon points in when it's going to help?

I can't remember how proficiencies work for dual-classers in IE, and never spent much time with BG2, EE or not.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    So, when I do go Dual-class as a druid, can I start picking up two-weapon style at that point? Keep my Grand Mastery of the Scimitar, and sink the two-weapon points in when it's going to help?

I can't remember how proficiencies work for dual-classers in IE, and never spent much time with BG2, EE or not.
    For Dual-Class, the proficiencies go inactive until you gain a higher level in your second class than your first class. So, if you dual to Fighter from Thief level 9, and had had a dot in Short Bow, you won't get it back until you hit Fighter level 10. Be careful not to pick up dots in weapon proficiencies you already had on your first class, since they don't stack.

The exact best place to Dual is a matter of opinion and exactly what sort of build you are going for.

Lots of bred Pokemon, complete list on my Gym Leader Page of the Giant League Wiki, PM me if you'd like to trade for one.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

11. - Top - End - #191

For Dual-Class, the proficiencies go inactive until you gain a higher level in your second class than your first class. So, if you dual to Fighter from Thief level 9, and had had a dot in Short Bow, you won't get it back until you hit Fighter level 10. Be careful not to pick up dots in weapon proficiencies you already had on your first class, since they don't stack.

The exact best place to Dual is a matter of opinion and exactly what sort of build you are going for.
    Right. I've been batting around what would be the best time (either 9th, when I get my 3rd +1 to hit and damage from Kensai and Grand mastery; 12th, when my speed factor and hit/damage bonuses level out, or 13th, when I get my next 1/2 attack), but I wanted to see if it was reasonable and prudent... and it seems like, as a druid who will eventually be Kensai/Druid, picking up club and/or dagger will be a good choice, and pumping more into two-weapon for when I am able to use my grand mastered scimitars again.

EDIT: And does anyone else think Sarevok was sorta ****ing with the assassins he sent after you in BG1? Since they'd have to provide proof of your death, and you turn to ash and dust the moment you're killed?
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2014-12-15 at 05:28 PM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

Right. I've been batting around what would be the best time (either 9th, when I get my 3rd +1 to hit and damage from Kensai and Grand mastery; 12th, when my speed factor and hit/damage bonuses level out, or 13th, when I get my next 1/2 attack), but I wanted to see if it was reasonable and prudent... and it seems like, as a druid who will eventually be Kensai/Druid, picking up club and/or dagger will be a good choice, and pumping more into two-weapon for when I am able to use my grand mastered scimitars again.

EDIT: And does anyone else think Sarevok was sorta ****ing with the assassins he sent after you in BG1? Since they'd have to provide proof of your death, and you turn to ash and dust the moment you're killed?
    I'd recommend against putting points into Club. I don't think there are any decent Clubs in the game, or at least any that aren't outshined by something else.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

13. - Top - End - #193

I'd recommend against putting points into Club. I don't think there are any decent Clubs in the game, or at least any that aren't outshined by something else.
    I'll look into it. Nice thing about a druid is that you get a fair number of weapon spells from the get-go.
    The Cranky Gamer

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

I finally finished up Jaheira's side-quest chain, so I can retire her when I need more room in the party. I also Knocked out Keldorn's rather short side-quest after finishing the Seeing-Eye quest. I'd keep him around for a little bit, but he's already made it clear that he wants to drive a stake through Hexxat's heart.

I think I may go pick up Edwin and Korgan to start their quests next. I still have Jan around, until his quest decides to trigger. For some reason, whenever I'm waiting on 2-3 quests to start, they all want to trigger at once, and the NPCs aren't very patience when it comes to their pet quests.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

There's a couple decent clubs in early SoA (Blackblood, Gnasher) and one pretty damn good one in ToB that's upgradable (Club of Detonation). Enough to beat the game, for sure. Rush the Trademeet questline to get the SoA pair. Dual-wielding Beastmasters, ho!
    Last edited by Winthur; 2014-12-16 at 12:08 AM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

Well, Keldorn decided he couldn't wait to kill Hexxat anymore, right after I finished his quest. Good thing I had just saved.

Time to finish up all the Evil NPC side quests before my rep gets too high.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

I installed Branwen's mod for BG2 and replaced Jaheira with her. Not bad, so far, if rather predictable.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

I installed Branwen's mod for BG2 and replaced Jaheira with her. Not bad, so far, if rather predictable.
    Predictable how so?

05107-66614
    62592-54117

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

She's boisterous, boastful, direct, and talks about fighting, honour and Tempus a lot.

20. - Top - End - #200

She's boisterous, boastful, direct, and talks about fighting, honour and Tempus a lot.
    And Valkur's strapping buttocks?
    The Cranky Gamer

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Well, bugger. I had no idea the golem-guarded items in the D'Arnise keep disappear if you don't loot them before taking ownership of the keep. Guess I won't be completing the Flail of the Ages this playthrough.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

Well, bugger. I had no idea the golem-guarded items in the D'Arnise keep disappear if you don't loot them before taking ownership of the keep. Guess I won't be completing the Flail of the Ages this playthrough.
    I did not know that. You can probably Shadow-Keeper it in, though.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

In this case, the correct answer would be: "previous saves".

Because you have loads of those, obviously.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Emptyquoting for posterity.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

So, I'm gonna try an evil run, but I'm gonna leave my main character good so they can use twinkle. Are there any evil-only items that I'd be missing out on? I don't want to look up a full item list because I don't want to spoil anything, so really I'm just asking for a yes or no.

I'm playing a halforc fighter/thief, if it matters. Points into scimitar and sword'n'shield style, and probably darts next.
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    In this case, the correct answer would be: "previous saves".

Because you have loads of those, obviously.
    I have a couple, but none of them before I took charge of the keep. Oh well. I'll just EEkeeper it in. The lack of XP from the golems will make it less of a cheat.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seharvepernfan View Post
    So, I'm gonna try an evil run, but I'm gonna leave my main character good so they can use twinkle. Are there any evil-only items that I'd be missing out on? I don't want to look up a full item list because I don't want to spoil anything, so really I'm just asking for a yes or no.

I'm playing a halforc fighter/thief, if it matters. Points into scimitar and sword'n'shield style, and probably darts next.
    Nah, not really, and by ToB you get Use Any Item so that you can, indeed, use any item in the game.

I'd normally have some reservations towards how suboptimal your idea is (there's better scimitars in the game, especially for a late-game thief), but you'll beat the game all the same, regardless, so have fun.

Also,
    Spoiler: Regarding Drizzt's items
    Show
    You get them taken away from you sometime after you kill Drizzt unless you play with a certain mod that turns off the mage that takes them away. You can prevent this in an unmodded game in some ways, but it can be tricky.
    Last edited by Winthur; 2014-12-18 at 07:37 AM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Well, this is hardly ideal. Finishing the quest to retrieve Boo crashes the game rather badly.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    Nah, not really, and by ToB you get Use Any Item so that you can, indeed, use any item in the game.

I'd normally have some reservations towards how suboptimal your idea is (there's better scimitars in the game, especially for a late-game thief), but you'll beat the game all the same, regardless, so have fun.

Also,
    Spoiler: Regarding Drizzt's items
    Show
    You get them taken away from you sometime after you kill Drizzt unless you play with a certain mod that turns off the mage that takes them away. You can prevent this in an unmodded game in some ways, but it can be tricky.
    I was talking BG1, where frostbrand is probably the best thief weapon for attacking, and where twinkle would raise his AC through the roof. Plus, I'm under the impression that he can use thief skills while wearing Drizzts armor.
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Well, it seems Jaheira gets so butt-hurt when I try to remove her from the party that she up and leaves permanently now. I completed her quest chain and got the Harper Pin. I intended to drop her off and complete all the NPC side quests. She was a contender for my final party line-up, but I just don't have room for her right now. Anyone know of a way to make her stay put like a good NPC like everyone else?

05107-66614
    62592-54117