New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: FSN: Unlimited Blade Works anime thread - ZeroRider was so much better

Quote Originally Posted by Mathemagics View Post
    Sorry, I could have been more clear in phrasing that. I meant to say that Fate/Zero and Fate/Extra are not glorified fan-fiction, since they were written (or at least intended to be) at least in part by Nasu, and he had more creative direction in how they were done. This is opposed to things like Fate/Illya and Strange Fake, which both literally were fan-fics (in the case of Illya, the author had already been doing Fate doujins, and Strange Fake was written as an April Fool's joke by the author of Baccano!).

Apocrypha is more akin to Zero and Extra in this regard, in that it was launched as a project by Type-Moon with a lot of creative input from Nasu in the original planning phase, as opposed to being an independently-created spinoff series that was picked up and adopted into the franchise. Hopefully that better articulates what I was trying to say.
    I've learned over the years that there is a considerable gulf between "creative input" from and an actual product of the creator. I as a rule consider it a marketing gimmick and euphemism for "we got a rough outline and some sketches" or the like. Just about everything Dragon Ball had a Toriyama character design in there IIRC. It doesn't seem to help appreciably.

Heck even Zero pushes whether it quite fits or just did stuff to be cool. Like oh everyone fighting Cthulhu for example, though Nasu has enough hideous giant monsters around in his own universe its not entirely implausible.

Quote Originally Posted by cnsvnc View Post
    Speaking of translations: Is there some kind of Japanese wordgame hidden in Feito Sutei Naito or the runes that make it up? I know they're inordinately fond of puns over there and engrish phrasing has no meaning. It suspiciously looks like somebody tried and completely failed to construct some sort of "knight" pun in an unfamiliar language but I have no proof. All internet has told me so far is that it's "it's just random nonjapanese sounds that seemed cool to Nasu at some point".

Which might well be correct. It's the same guy who made up Luviagelita and Riesbyfe after all.
    Yeah I've never heard anything particularly specific. Though I personally see a little more meaning then just random coolness as they do manage to feel meaningful in a very vague way. Or just because the Grail War happens at night.

Still its about what the Romans and ancient Greeks would probably think of us peppering things with Latin and Greek

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: FSN: Unlimited Blade Works anime thread - ZeroRider was so much better

So, given the first line of the preview for the next episode it seems that scene I've been hoping for will actually be shown.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shirou stripping Issei to check his body for command spells

Please please please, this will be glorious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallenOne View Post
    So, given the first line of the preview for the next episode it seems that scene I've been hoping for will actually be shown. Please please please, this will be glorious.
    It's like this show is shipping Shirou with everybody except Rin or Saber. That's how it feels atm.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Yep. It was boring. Beefcake didn't save the episode.

Next up: dumbest scene ever.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Shirou continues to display absolutely zero tact, and it was kinda hilarious. I was glad to see more Fuji-nee, along with a dose of dramatic irony as Saber gets told about Kiritsugu. Shinji continues to be pathetic, making excuses for the events of last episode.

Spoiler: UBW Episode 9
    Show
    So....I'm really wondering why Kirei is doing this for Shinji. I mean, if Shinji can't recognize the quality of his own Servant, he'll never understand the potential of his new Servant. Hmm. That said, actually, this is probably Kirei giving said Servant their own opportunity to get back out onto the battlefield and win the Grail.

Spoiler: Fate Zero
    Show
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Gilgamesh is back in the game! As Shinji's Servant. Wow, I did not expect that. I'm pretty certain that Gil is going to tire of him soon, and dispose of him so that he can hop to another Master.

Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post
    It's like this show is shipping Shirou with everybody except Rin or Saber. That's how it feels atm.
    I dunno about that, we had some pretty clear scenes to the contrary in this week's episode.

Spoiler: Specific scenes
    Show

"I have to sleep in your room." is totally a meta-shipping scene, even if she has pragmatic reasons for it.

Then all the scenes with Rin pulling Shirou off into secluded corners to talk about stuff? Like, there's shipping flags all over that, even if it's not actually what's going on. It's just the sort of thing that a show will do before shipping them for real.

I guess those both qualify mostly as a Ship Tease, though.
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2014-12-07 at 02:10 PM.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Spoiler: UBW Episode 9
    Show
    So....I'm really wondering why Kirei is doing this for Shinji. I mean, if Shinji can't recognize the quality of his own Servant, he'll never understand the potential of his new Servant. Hmm. That said, actually, this is probably Kirei giving said Servant their own opportunity to get back out onto the battlefield and win the Grail.
    Spoiler: UBW route
    Show
    There are few things to remember here:
    1) Shinji doesn't actually have a command spell. Therefore Giggles isn't really his servant.
    2) Giggles does have a master. Kirei.
    3) Giggles is not tied to anyone's prana supply. Well, any individual master's, at any rate.

Now, the obvious reason to give Giggles to Shinji is to enable Giggles to act without people associating him with Kirei. Conveniently, a magus can also form the heart of the Grail (whether Kirei knows that Shinji is no magus is not clear, here). As long as Shinji is Giggles's puppet, he acts as a convenient scapegoat while Giggles goes around to pour the Grail full and acquire the vessel. In essence, Shinji seems like Kirei's pawn, enabling Kirei stay in the shadows while finishing the war and achieving his own goal.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2014-12-08 at 06:35 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Just realized this episode brought back a weird plot thing I'd been wondering about.

See, I figured that maybe the Command Seals were invisible to people somehow or something. But this episode pretty much confirms that they're very visible, because of Shirou's attempt to root out the Master. Which means that Shirou and Rin have been walking around the school with their Command Seals almost in plain view. Literally broadcasting their status as Masters.

...is that an accurate assessment? Am I missing something here?
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Just realized this episode brought back a weird plot thing I'd been wondering about.

See, I figured that maybe the Command Seals were invisible to people somehow or something. But this episode pretty much confirms that they're very visible, because of Shirou's attempt to root out the Master. Which means that Shirou and Rin have been walking around the school with their Command Seals almost in plain view. Literally broadcasting their status as Masters.

...is that an accurate assessment? Am I missing something here?
    Shirou is dumb and Rin has no common sense. That's it, that's the story.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    It's been a long time since I played the Visual Novel but didn't they keep 'em hidden with clothes? I recall at least two episodes involving explaining the weird "bruise" on the arm (one regarding Shirou), some stuff about concealing it; did someone even wear some bandage? I don't remember but I'm sure the matter was considered in the first days of the VN.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Ha, fair enough.

They do have longish sleeves, so it sorta works to conceal them.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I loved Shirou in FSN, but I am hating this Shirou.

I don't know how they managed it with an animated person, but Shirou feels like he's bored to be there. Like he's phoning everything in. And I'm not talking about the VA, I'm talking about the actual character. That's an achievement.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Shirou is dumb
    Spoiler
    Show

Yes, the seals are visible are visible and they don't seem to take any effort to hide them. Tohsaka at least has the excuse of being able to sense the presence of other masters. Or so she claimed, I can't recall that ever actually working.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

^^I think they had bandages on their hands in novel but maybe not. Command seals (or bandages for that matter) are never shown on regular VN sprites anyway, they get their own special terribadly drawn closeup hand pictures when being activated. Yet stripping Issei is a valid way to check mastery somehow. It's a mystery.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nasu prolly didn't think too much on it.
    Also apparently break episode will be a double too. Which is good, the second possible season end point is much better than the first.

Also also, final countdown to dumbest scene ever.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    Shameless shill:

14. - Top - End - #44

I actually quite approve of everything they did with everything in this episode. I feel they prioritised the right matters and while the explanation on Caster's retreat and Kuzuki's technique, and Shirou's magecraft wasn't all there as such, I feel the things they added and emphasised served the episode and the whole better. There's time for all the minor stuff later anyways.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

While they managed to make it look awesome, the dumbest scene ever didn't get any less dumb. And the subtitles screwed up the poem.

Everything else was rad as hell though. Archer dream, Issei's fear at the prospect of what appeared to be a sudden threesome, the music that played during Goldie's scene with Shinji, Goldie's everything else, Shinji himself being a giant douchenozzle and the new dickworm design. They even managed to shoehorn in exposition on Shirou's projection without being horrible at it, but it still looks like a random asspull without knowing background stuff.
    Shameless shill:

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by cnsvnc View Post
    While they managed to make it look awesome, the dumbest scene ever didn't get any less dumb. And the subtitles screwed up the poem.
    To be fair, that's always been the case; blame Nasu's Engrish as it appeared in the original VN. But yeah, the whole point of the poem is mostly missing in the Engrish version (some parts remain, it can be dug out but you gotta know what you're looking for), though I do admit it does have an awesome flow to it. How does "my blood is of iron and my heart of glass" become "steel is my body and fire is my blood" again? When the glass heart thingy is kinda the whole point?

To anyone curious, something akin to a proper translation of the Unlimited Blade Works-poem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "His body is made of swords;
    his blood of iron and his heart of glass;
    unbeaten in innumerable battles;
    never once retreating;
    never once understood.
    He was always alone;
    drunk with victory on that hill of swords.
    Thus, that life has no meaning;
    that body was certainly made of swords."

Unsurprisingly, the original is extremely meaningful while the botched translation manages to just sound like a random string of words.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2014-12-14 at 07:19 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

WOW.

That was a killer-awesome episode. Kuzuki is ridiculous. Kuzuki+Caster = OP like nothing else. That was a fantastic fight.

Oh, and the scene at the end. Doubly creepy because of where it was; unless I'm mistaken, it was used in Fate/Zero for a conversation with another Matou...

And, of course, it's good to see Goldie back in action.
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2014-12-14 at 02:07 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    To be fair, that's always been the case; blame Nasu's Engrish as it appeared in the original VN. But yeah, the whole point of the poem is mostly missing in the Engrish version (some parts remain, it can be dug out but you gotta know what you're looking for), though I do admit it does have an awesome flow to it. How does "my blood is of iron and my heart of glass" become "steel is my body and fire is my blood" again? When the glass heart thingy is kinda the whole point?

To anyone curious, something akin to a proper translation of the Unlimited Blade Works-poem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "His body is made of swords;
    his blood of iron and his heart of glass;
    unbeaten in innumerable battles;
    never once retreating;
    never once understood.
    He was always alone;
    drunk with victory on that hill of swords.
    Thus, that life has no meaning;
    that body was certainly made of swords."

Unsurprisingly, the original is extremely meaningful while the botched translation manages to just sound like a random string of words.
    I'm going to go with "Nasu is really terrible at English but wanted to use it to sound exotic". At least most of it makes sense, except the Bone of my sword part.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

WOW. That was a killer-awesome episode. Kuzuki is ridiculous. Kuzuki+Caster = OP like nothing else.
    I haven't watched the latest eps yet, but I hope it was rendered better than the Kuzuki (that's the teacher right?) vs Saber fight in FSN series.
    In that series, all Caster really did was buff the dude's fists, and then he laid waste to Saber in a few moves. Even back then I was thinking "Wait that's not nearly enough magical buffs for a normal human to curbstomp Saber, I don't care how well-trained he is."
    He can be Kirei Kotomine #2 for all I care. If all he got was "buff my fists" he's not going to beat Saber.
    So in this eps by UFOTable, Caster had better be piling the buffs onto this dude. Haste, Steel Skin, Ogre Strength, Phase Shift abuse, whatever.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

They definitely show off more than just Extra Damage. It looks pretty impressive.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to leave this here.
    Shameless shill:

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

I cracked up at that scene.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    I cracked up at that scene.
    Me too. It goes right up there with this one from a ways back...

Spoiler: Rin Screenshot
    Show

Also, "I like your Bounded Field." = best mage pickup line?

I enjoyed this episode a lot; lots of fun character moments, Shirou gets reamed out by Rin (who shows some interesting parallels to Goldie), and that was an interesting Archer interlude at the end.

Oh, and based on the teaser at the end, and rumors that the cour-ender is going to be double-length...

Spoiler: Fate/Zero
    Show
    Is it just me, or is "smack down Caster at the halfway point" a cherished Nasuverse tradition?

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Spoiler: Fate/Zero
    Show
    Is it just me, or is "smack down Caster at the halfway point" a cherished Nasuverse tradition?
    It only really applies to one route of F/SN. Rider was the midboss in Fate and I don't remember who it is in Heaven's Feel, but it's definitely not Caster.

Spoiler: Heaven's Feel Spoilers
    Show
    Actually looking it up, I guess the midpoint is Saber Alter ****ing up Shirou. Naturally the good guys lose in the middle of that route.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2014-12-20 at 04:04 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, "I like your Bounded Field." = best mage pickup line?
    Rin: Smoothest Operator. Too bad anything less than sledgehammer blows are wasted on Shirou. Taiga appreciated getting wrecked though. Strange how one ordinary day episode can be so much better than the other, gotta be Taiga and Aacha's powers combined. Sadly only one double episode left before the break. At least we can look forward to entertaining reactions to the cliffhanger.

Gonna be a hard wait for the second half and all the awesome stuff in it...
    Shameless shill:

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Taiga makes everything better. Including the scene in the classroom, haha. SURPRISE ENGLISH POP QUIZ!

27. - Top - End - #57

It only really applies to one route of F/SN. Rider was the midboss in Fate and I don't remember who it is in Heaven's Feel, but it's definitely not Caster.

Spoiler: Heaven's Feel Spoilers
    Show
    Actually looking it up, I guess the midpoint is Saber Alter ****ing up Shirou. Naturally the good guys lose in the middle of that route.
    Spoiler: HF Spoilers
    Show
    If you stretch the definitions, you could say Black Berserker is the mid boss. Or Zouken, who's "offed" by Kotomine. Or then the Shadow who...mostly offs everybody trying to trouble her, but "dies" in the sense that after the forest she doesn't actually really appear anymore. Or maybe True Assassin, who Shirou actually gets to kinda fight and Kotomine gets to beat? I mean, the route is mostly the "good" guys (considering how Shirou acts with regards to Sakura, I'm not sure "good" is a very accurate description) getting their asses handed to them over and over until they win some pyrrhic victories towards the end. Everybody still gets more or less ****ed in most routes; in true Nasuverse tradition, the hero becomes the killer in the end.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2014-12-20 at 10:23 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Yeah I was more referring to "what big fight happens in the physical and narrative middle of the story" and that was the forest fight.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

And now for something completely different: Lancer is the handsomest of dudes* in all Fate stuffs. Discuss!

*The outfit is dumb though, I'll give you that.
    Shameless shill:

30. - Top - End - #60
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Well zerolancer was so handsome it was considered a curse.