New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: FSN: Unlimited Blade Works anime thread - ZeroRider was so much better

Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post
    I already said in a previous page that inserted arc is problematic. Though it's no worse than Caster playing dress-up with Saber in UBW.
    And I'm not sure why you think to mention the haremy bits when I already commented on it. Is Fate series perfect? Heck no. But it did one specific thing great, and that's why I love it.
    That doesn't give it a free pass on it being Too Anime. I don't think anyone here is aiming for perfection.

I would say a modern cable series would be the best format ala Game Of Thrones (only 10 1-hr eps per season).
    Format sure, but we are talking of the Fate arc. The primary reason I can fathom it actually working better for American cable TV has less to deal with it being a 'classic' tale and more because it's the most simple arc.

And the eroge element isn't equivalent to all "mature content." Eroge is inherently silly by nature, it seems. Or at least it is in FSN, Nasu's fault.
    Bad CG Dragons and Nasu Mollusks aside, mana replenishment isn't Too Anime? Frankly I'd think HBO would skip the justifications.
    Last edited by Poison_Fish; 2015-01-05 at 01:25 AM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: FSN: Unlimited Blade Works anime thread - ZeroRider was so much better

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Is there anything beyond the identities of the Masters that would spoiler me
    Yes. While there's a whole bunch of spoilers you won't even get, the more severe damage will be inflicted on various characters' images. Not certain how much of a deterrent that should be but you'll most likely never take Medea or Cuchulainn seriously again.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've seen a couple clips of Carnival Phantasm from AMV Hell. Is there anything beyond the identities of the Masters that would spoiler me, based on how much of UBW I've seen so far? (I've also seen Fate/Zero in its entirety.) I'm hoping that, at the very least, I could just watch it after UBW wraps up. Because it looks amazing.
    Carnival Phantasm contains spoilers for:
    All 3 routes of Fate/Stay Night.
    A bit of Fate/Hollow Ataraxia
    All of Tsukihime
    Most of Melty Blood (I don't think there's anything from Actress Again)

Probably the most problematic part for that plan is that there's several gags that rely on knowledge from Heaven's Feel. Besides that, you could always just skip the Melty Blood/Tsukihime segments if you don't think you'll get the jokes/don't want spoiled on things.
    Quote Originally Posted by cnsvnc View Post
    Yes. While there's a whole bunch of spoilers you won't even get, the more severe damage will be inflicted on various characters' images. Not certain how much of a deterrent that should be but you'll most likely never take Medea or Cuchulainn seriously again.
    Spoiler: Image
    Show

I AM evil. Stop laughing!
    Last edited by mallorean_thug; 2015-01-05 at 02:18 AM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Poison_Fish View Post
    That doesn't give it a free pass on it being Too Anime. I don't think anyone here is aiming for perfection.
    The harem and eroge elements are ridiculously easy to write out. It's why I said in previous post that you wipe those out for the American remake.
    The idea that UBW and HF are "too anime" aren't because of easy-to-remove elements like the above, but rather the more intrinsic parts of those branches. It's like how Matrix 2 and 3 would be indistinguishable from (not-so-great) anime if you just read the scripts.

Format sure, but we are talking of the Fate arc. The primary reason I can fathom it actually working better for American cable TV has less to deal with it being a 'classic' tale and more because it's the most simple arc.
    Simple yes, simple as in "pure" and "classic."
    For example, I can easily rewrite Fate to feature the true Grail that Jesus used, and completely excise the idea that there's other "fake" grails. It's harder to do so for the next 2 branches. And by using the true Grail, the conflict gains a lot more symbolic significance for its prominent characters.

Bad CG Dragons and Nasu Mollusks aside, mana replenishment isn't Too Anime? Frankly I'd think HBO would skip the justifications.
    Skipping the justifications would actually benefit the story.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mallorean_thug View Post
    All of Tsukihime

Probably the most problematic part for that plan is that there's several gags that rely on knowledge from Heaven's Feel. Besides that, you could always just skip the Melty Blood/Tsukihime segments if you don't think you'll get the jokes/don't want spoiled on things.
    Ah, noted. Well, patience is a virtue...

(Also, I'd heard the name Melty Blood before, didn't realize it was actually a TYPE-MOON game!)
    Show

I AM evil. Stop laughing!
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Eroge is inherently silly by nature, it seems. Or at least it is in FSN, Nasu's fault.
    That's roughly equivalent to saying 'American TV is inherently shallow by nature;' it's a severe overgeneralization. Certainly Nasu can't write ero content to save his life, but that hardly means every writer is the same. If you're looking for a good counterexample (with only one exception), try playing Sekien no Inganock (which I'd recommend for many unrelated reasons as well).

Quote Originally Posted by MLai
    (1) Shirou, the POV protag, is at his all-around worst in this series, he's boring and stupid as F.
    Regardless of one's opinions of Shirou in general (I agree that he does not make a good POV character, especially in animated form), I find it hard to see UBW Shirou as worse than Fate Shirou. At least in UBW he doesn't spend 90% of the route treating Saber like a helpless girl who shouldn't be allowed to fight. Fate Shirou is just terribly unpleasant to read.

Quote Originally Posted by mallorean_thug View Post
    All of Tsukihime
    Does that include Kagetsu Tohya? I remember I originally put off watching Carnival Phantasm because I hadn't finished the former, but I never actually got around to doing so... (I'll probably never play Melty Blood, so that one doesn't bother me.)
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sallera View Post
    Does that include Kagetsu Tohya? I remember I originally put off watching Carnival Phantasm because I hadn't finished the former, but I never actually got around to doing so... (I'll probably never play Melty Blood, so that one doesn't bother me.)
    Actually Tsukihime stuff in CP is mostly pretty bad. They're funny but usually lolrandom funny instead of cool parody of itself like Grail Prix and could've starred any random assortment of anime characters from whatever franchise. Kagetsu Tohya is somewhat irrelevant to CP (and a messy dreamscape of madness otherwise).
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    Shameless shill:

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Fair enough. Might be I'll just watch it then.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

*Raise Thread*

So what do you think would happen if Gilgamesh and Enkidu ever got summoned to the same Grail War?
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    *Raise Thread*

So what do you think would happen if Gilgamesh and Enkidu ever got summoned to the same Grail War?
    They'd flirt like crazy

Gilgamesh wouldn't go all out on Enkidu and vice versa. They'd fight, but not to the death. I doubt Enkidu would use Chains and Ea on Enkidu. Depending on masters they'd probably attempt to join the one that doesn't want to sacrifice them for the grail. If a master forced Gil to kill Enkidu, he'd either resist it and/or murder that ****er before you can say Ea. I don't know if Command persist when Master dies.

They were summoned together in Fate/strange fake and Fate/Extra CCC.
    Last edited by -D-; 2015-01-10 at 09:52 AM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

*Raise Thread*

See Fate/Strange Fake, where the only reason Gilgamesh even cares about the war is because Enkidu happened to be summoned in it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    If a master forced Gil to kill Enkidu, he'd either resist it and/or murder that ****er before you can say Ea. I don't know if Command persist when Master dies.
    If Fate/Apocrypha is considered canonical, then killing a Master repeals the effects of a Command Spell order in progress.

Spoiler: Apocrypha
    Show

Astolfo's Master burns two spells to order him to kill Sieg, which he very very much does not want to do. (It takes 2 spells because of the nature of the order and his A rank magic resist.) But before he can be forced into carrying out the order, Mordred beheads his Master and thus removes the compulsion.
    Last edited by Mathemagics; 2015-01-10 at 12:20 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mathemagics View Post
    Fate/Strange Fake
    Man, there's so much silly spinoffs that'll never see the light of translation. Such as the newfangled Waver Case Files, which I read the summary of because it'll be at least 25 years before it's in English.
    there's another saberclone >:O
    Why does Kayneth El-Melloi look so much like a butchered Kenneth L. Mallory? Also even after all these years Waver Velvet sounds like the dumbest name ever.
    Shameless shill:

13. - Top - End - #133
    Firbolg in the Playground

Man, there's so much silly spinoffs that'll never see the light of translation. Such as the newfangled Waver Case Files, which I read the summary of because it'll be at least 25 years before it's in English.

Why does Kayneth El-Melloi look so much like a butchered Kenneth L. Mallory? Also even after all these years Waver Velvet sounds like the dumbest name ever.
    Found a cliff-notes version of it, for anyone that's interested. I guess I should say that I have no idea if this is legit or not, but, eh, whatever.

There are two interesting pieces of information that come out of it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    One, the line of Altria Pendragon survived, and still has access to her spear. And two, Waver was planning on taking part in the Fifth Holy Grail War. Considering he still has the fragment of Rider's cloak he used to summon him during the Fifth, I can only assume he would have gone for the same Servant.
    Last edited by DoctorFaust; 2015-01-10 at 05:27 PM.
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Bugbear in the Playground

I didn't pop into this subforum for a while...

Could anyone take Cu Chulainn seriously in the first place?

*Raise Thread*

I can't find it right now, but there's this great full color fanart of Enkidu-chan glomping the hell out of Gilgamesh while he uses a computer somewhere, scaring him to death. I think it's Fate/Sensha Otoko fanart, but it might be from Fate/Strange Fake.
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

there's another saberclone >:O
    Eh Fate stuff usually does get translated, it just takes absolutely forever. Would be nice if the Waver Case Files got picked up though, considering he's consistently been one of the best characters in the series (and might be one of the most frequently appearing ones too).

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

What does Enkidu look like? I have a sneaking suspicion that they turned him into something like Cham Cham.

"Jumpu! Jumpu!"
    I make her jump around just to hear that.

17. - Top - End - #137

This. And in related news that makes me a little disappointed in humanity, "enkidu fate" was the first suggested search when I typed in his name.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorFaust View Post
    And in related news that makes me a little disappointed in humanity, "enkidu fate" was the first suggested search when I typed in his name.
    Did you browse to Fate sites before? If you used Google or Bing, it's probably because they already know you go to similar sites and have "customized" their search based on cookies they use to track you!

For me fate is merely second suggestion.
    Last edited by -D-; 2015-01-11 at 11:47 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139

Did you browse to Fate sites before? If you used Google or Bing, it's probably because they already know you go to similar sites and have "customized" their search based on cookies they use to track you!

For me fate is merely second suggestion.
    Maybe? I think the last time I searched anything Fate related was about a month ago, but that could be why.

I prefer having a low opinion of humanity though. That's popular on the internet, right?
    Last edited by DoctorFaust; 2015-01-12 at 12:30 AM.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe? I think the last time I searched anything Fate related was about a month ago, but that could be why.
    Oh, your profile probably goes for years of search history. Cookie is just used to identify you, your profile stays forever.

I prefer having a low opinion of humanity though. That's popular on the internet, right?
    Actually, Internet is all about hating everything. Low opinion is so 1990.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

This. And in related news that makes me a little disappointed in humanity, "enkidu fate" was the first suggested search when I typed in his name.
    Lord, I can't believe how f'ing right I was.

"Jumpu! Jumpu!"

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

MLai, what's a jumpu?

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

MLai, what's a jumpu?
    This fighting game character shouted "Jumpu!" whenever you made her jump.
    Spoiler: Character Picture
    Show

I was betting that instead of a big burly "Wild Man", Enkidu would be turned into some kawaii feral girl.
    It was in jest, but ofc it turned out to be correct.
    Last edited by MLai; 2015-01-18 at 11:43 PM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

This fighting game character shouted "Jumpu!" whenever you made her jump.
    Pics messed up?

What does it have to do with "Enkidu Fate"?

25. - Top - End - #145

I was betting that instead of a big burly "Wild Man", Enkidu would be turned into some kawaii feral girl.
    Well, technically Enkidu is a shapeshifter, so he can be whatever shape he wants to be. Besides, I don't think I can name a single character from an anime besides JoJo, or maybe, maybe Record of Lodoss War that qualifies as big and burly.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Enkidu is referred as a guy , though.
    Last edited by -D-; 2015-01-19 at 01:04 AM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Well, technically Enkidu is a shapeshifter, so he can be whatever shape he wants to be. Besides, I don't think I can name a single character from an anime besides JoJo, or maybe, maybe Record of Lodoss War that qualifies as big and burly.
    ...have you not seen Fate/Zero, then?

Show
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

28. - Top - End - #148

...have you not seen Fate/Zero, then?

Show
    I suppose I had forgotten about Rider, yeah. And I suppose that was kind of hyperbole...

But it definitely seems more common for anime and manga characters that are hyped up as really strong to look more like this or this than this.
    Last edited by DoctorFaust; 2015-01-19 at 11:56 AM.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

There's also Fist of the North Star for another famous example of big burly anime dudes. And it's funny you mention Ike, since this happened in the sequel.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nanomachines, son.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

30. - Top - End - #150

I suppose I had forgotten about Rider, yeah. And I suppose that was kind of hyperbole...

But it definitely seems more common for anime and manga characters that are hyped up as really strong to look more like this or this than this.
    Most guys hyped up as strong in anime aren't talking about physical strength.

The physically strongest guy in Bakano is also the biggest, so that Durara guy isn't the best example. Everyone with super-human strength has muscles that are too small so whatever. I haven't played Path of Radiance but Fire Emblem is full of burly guys who have the highest strength stat (but also full of guys with gameplay stats that don't match up to their supposed diagetic prowess).

Ridiculously huge guys aren't that uncommon, they just tend to be bit parts or one off villains.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2015-01-19 at 03:17 PM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.