Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The All Guardsmen Party

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan305 View Post
    Hah, wonderful. I managed to see the twist about the Demonhost coming from your writing, and I'm curious as to what point the party were able to work it out. Was it the moment that you've written? Or was it earlier?
    We'd known that Bane would be coming back ever since we dodged our final battle with him back in our chapter (Failer was more than a little upset about that).

We didn't put the whole "Impromptu Poker Tournament" = "Bane shaping reality to suit him" thing together, at the time that seemed just like something that fit the Planet's general theme. We were also genuinely surprised to Interrogator Angelica turn up again, since he'd been handing us all these pictures of the Sorceress that looked nothing like her. The second she turned up though everything fell into place, which is 90% of why we went for an all out attempt to kill her. Fighting her and Bane *together* was not something we considered to be a smart move, which is why a good portion of our eventual plan revolved around separating them.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Now I'm waiting for the Rupert to show up
    I'M NOT CRAZY!!

I just find sanity a rather dull affair

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

... People reading this realize we have gotten into spoiler territory.

On Angelica: Is that her name? I don't think that has ever been used in the story itself. I know when I saw that picture I thought: Oh, its the turncoat interrogator's portrait, the sorceress obviously draws from the same archetype. Nope.

To A Tad Insane: Yes, that would be awesome. The only other call back I can think of that would be cool is if some of their students showed up. That one I definitely would be surprized if it actually happened, but I think you could get some good moments out of it.

4. - Top - End - #274

Heh. Been reading and enjoying the All Guardsmen Party for a while, and just tonight started browsing through the 'Storytimes' section, when I hit Mr. Lilly. I am now very curious, since the text gives absolutely no indication one way or the other, whether or not you (Shoggy) know that Mr. Lilly is a direct lift of Mr. Tulip, from the Terry Pratchett novel 'The Truth', 'drug' problem, art appreciation, impossible aptitude for violence, potato and all. The only thing changed was Mr. Tulip's habit of cursing by saying ____ing- not bleeped out curses or anything, just a brief pause while speaking followed by 'ing'.

Thinking about it for a moment, Discworld references have cropped up in other places, the biggest being Nubby, who is apparently an alternate-universe version of Nobby Nobbs, of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch.

... how many of your group are Discworld fans, anyhow?

P.S.- love the All Guardsman Party stories, and look forwards to new ones coming out.
    Last edited by TeChameleon; 2017-08-10 at 04:24 AM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cluedrew View Post
    ... People reading this realize we have gotten into spoiler territory.

On Angelica: Is that her name? I don't think that has ever been used in the story itself. I know when I saw that picture I thought: Oh, its the turncoat interrogator's portrait, the sorceress obviously draws from the same archetype. Nope.

To A Tad Insane: Yes, that would be awesome. The only other call back I can think of that would be cool is if some of their students showed up. That one I definitely would be surprized if it actually happened, but I think you could get some good moments out of it.
    Yes, that's her name on the official sheet. None of us remembered it, since we just called her The Bitch that whole time, but it was re-supplied on the grounds that Nubby probably remembered it at least.

And yes, we will be seeing the eventual return of the Rupert in the final chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    I am now very curious, since the text gives absolutely no indication one way or the other, whether or not you (Shoggy) know that Mr. Lilly is a direct lift of Mr. Tulip, from the Terry Pratchett novel 'The Truth'.

... how many of your group are Discworld fans, anyhow?
    Yes, it was a very intended rip-off, we all (well, most of us) got hooked on the Discworld series in middle/high school. That was when we started playing of course, so there was a lot of copying going on, especially in the early days when it felt hard to make a new interesting character, and The Truth had actually just came out either that year or the one before.

At some point it sort of became a cross between nostalgia and a running joke, which is why a bunch of Discworld characters were used during the big character creation death-zerg (though Nubby was the only survivor), and why there's a tendency for familiar NPCs.

6. - Top - End - #276

Gotcha- it's a fun easter-egg, and I have also been a fan of Pratchett since highschool, although... eesh, feeling old now. When I started reading would have been around the time Men at Arms came out (although I started with Mort).

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

I just finished the whole thing again. And I think I had read most of it twice already. This probably means that the All Guardsmen Party is now my favorite book out of (what I read in) the last decade or so. I'm still undecided on whether it's you who's brilliant, your DM or the folks from the setting department at Games Workshop, but the final product definitely is.

One day, one day the story will have the ending it deserves. Hey, no pressure.
    The ultimate OOTS cookie cutter nameless soldier is the hobgoblin.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sorry had a rough time after I went back down to the desert. Eventually got over it, but got caught up in an absolutely insane attempt at "speedruning" total warhammer on the upswing. Blew something like a month of perfectly good writing time on it, which seems silly in retrospect, but at least it got me up and moving again.

If you're interested, it's here:

The Rat Race: A Total Warhammer 2 "Speedrun"
    https://imgur.com/gallery/rRziD

Anyway, I'm back in the swing of things now, and will hopefully be able to keep things moving and get the last 30ish posts of the chapter finished before the holidays.
    Last edited by Shoggy; 2017-12-05 at 06:40 PM.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Awesome, can't wait to see the rest!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Weird timing, I was thinking about this story yesterday for the first time in ages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    I just finished the whole thing again. And I think I had read most of it twice already. This probably means that the All Guardsmen Party is now my favorite book out of (what I read in) the last decade or so. I'm still undecided on whether it's you who's brilliant, your DM or the folks from the setting department at Games Workshop, but the final product definitely is.
    Yeah, I think I'm up to 4 readings of it myself. As for the brilliance goes, I think honestly think it is just that everyone involved had some level of brilliance. The base setting is good, the plot hooks interesting and all the characters were pretty interesting.

And as impressed as I am at the GM's ability to weave stories, make good NPCs and reach to some pretty out of the box solutions, and I am impressed. I think it is really the personalities of the PCs that really make the story work. Besides just being entertaining, they shape the story around them, instead just progressing along it. Too many games I know have that issue. And yes, the base setting as well.

11. - Top - End - #281

i'm risking the necro, it's for the good of us all. the "stealth" mission part 3 is partially up on the site, and will be completed normally by next week, according to shoggy's "please stand by" post.

am i stoked? you bet i am.

did i read it? you betcha.

is it awesome? does a guardsman hold the line? it's as hilarious as it is over the top.
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guizonde View Post
    i'm risking the necro, it's for the good of us all. the "stealth" mission part 3 is partially up on the site, and will be completed normally by next week, according to shoggy's "please stand by" post.

am i stoked? you bet i am.

did i read it? you betcha.

is it awesome? does a guardsman hold the line? it's as hilarious as it is over the top.
    *Party hard, party hard party hard, party hard*

Can't wait to read it.
    The ultimate OOTS cookie cutter nameless soldier is the hobgoblin.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Do I have time to read this right now? No I do not. Will I have found a way to read it before I have the time to read it? Almost certainly.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Orc in the Playground

Glad to see Shoggy updating again. This is by far one of the best campaign journals I've yet come across. It did more to get me into W40K than any of the official 40K media.
    Last edited by Scripten; 2018-02-27 at 09:19 AM.

15. - Top - End - #285

oh look, check out what's been updated.

i believe this calls for all of your best "oh, crap" faces. the cliffhanger is gonna be killer for the nerves.
    Show
    I'm going to judge you.
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”

when in doubt,

16. - Top - End - #286
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh, nice, you seem to be ahead of me. But anyway:

The All Guardsmen Party: The "Stealth" Mission: Part 3
    http://www.theallguardsmenparty.com/secret3.html

Finally finished the chapter, even if I'm going to have to go back and pretty up the last post or two and do a whole separate interlude for the post-mission lore dump. Just one more campaign arc to go.
    Last edited by Shoggy; 2018-03-05 at 01:04 PM.

17. - Top - End - #287

Quote Originally Posted by Shoggy View Post
    Oh, nice, you seem to be ahead of me. But anyway:

The All Guardsmen Party: The "Stealth" Mission: Part 3
    http://www.theallguardsmenparty.com/secret3.html

Finally finished the chapter, even if I'm going to have to go back and pretty up the last post or two and do a whole separate interlude for the post-mission lore dump. Just one more campaign arc to go.
    i hope you're not too disappointed by that. the wait was killing me and as usual, your writing style left me both in stitches and on the edge of my seat. it's a wild ride, and i'm kind of bummed out that it'll be ending "soon". it's too good to end!
    Show
    I'm going to judge you.

when in doubt,

18. - Top - End - #288
    Dwarf in the Playground

Glad you liked it, I was worried about readability with some of the bits, definitely in need of a serious editing pass.

And don't worry about endings, still a fair bit to go, and who knows what'll come next.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

it's too good to end!
    It is too good to let it continue until all the goodness has withered away and it receives an inglamerus burial in a footnote style chapter. Sorry, I have had too many stories go that way, finally ending but with me not even caring anymore. I hope I still care when The All Guardsmen Party ends.

20. - Top - End - #290

It is too good to let it continue until all the goodness has withered away and it receives an inglamerus burial in a footnote style chapter. Sorry, I have had too many stories go that way, finally ending but with me not even caring anymore. I hope I still care when The All Guardsmen Party ends.
    your argument has value, but it seems kind of harsh. the story is spreading in my circles, and people are getting more and more enthusiastic about it. since there's one more arc to it, i assume your fears won't be confirmed. hey shoggy, your arcs are typically 3 chapters long and an interlude, right?

it may've been asked earlier, but that entire campaign took how long to roleplay?
    Show
    I'm going to judge you.

when in doubt,

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

Harsh? Perhaps from one perspective, but from another it is the kindest: let the story go where it will, even if in the moment we want it to go some other place.

I mean I'm not too big on the whole "purity of the author's vision" thing overall, not that I quite sure how that applies to a campaign log, but I know quite a few stories that went on quite passed their time and most suffered for it... or maybe I just noticed the ones that didn't do a good job of it.

22. - Top - End - #292

Harsh? Perhaps from one perspective, but from another it is the kindest: let the story go where it will, even if in the moment we want it to go some other place.

I mean I'm not too big on the whole "purity of the author's vision" thing overall, not that I quite sure how that applies to a campaign log, but I know quite a few stories that went on quite passed their time and most suffered for it... or maybe I just noticed the ones that didn't do a good job of it.
    ok, i see your point now. you were referring to "anime sequelitis syndrome", where authors and producers will milk a story so dry it'll cough up dust just to squeeze more cash out of it (looking at you dbz and naruto...). i seem to remember that the AGP campaign ended, so i'd be really surprised if the log went that way. i will defer to your bigger experience with campaign logs, since aside from my personal handwritten ones, i've never really read any other. i'll also defer to your knowledge of other stories. aside from series suffering from sequelitis, i've no experience of that either.

we are in agreement that sequelitis sucks like a chest wound. i just don't get that vibe coming from AGP.
    Show
    I'm going to judge you.

when in doubt,

23. - Top - End - #293
    Dwarf in the Playground

hey shoggy, your arcs are typically 3 chapters long and an interlude, right?

it may've been asked earlier, but that entire campaign took how long to roleplay?
    Well, not really typically per se, it's just how the splitting worked. I guess it sort of matches the sessions, though. Thinking about where the action breaks are in the final arc, I'm not quite sure whether I'll do as two or three parts, but either way it'll be an Interlude to cover the post-mission talky stuff I skipped this round, then the mission, and then probably some variety of epilogue. 4 or 5 total.

The entire campaign took... I dunno, a year and a half? Maybe 2? I really have to go check my calendar. It finished 2 years ago, (I gave up keeping pace at the "teaching" one).

24. - Top - End - #294
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am hoping for something along the lines of Corporal Punishment, McAuslan's Court Martial, and Monty Python rolled into one.

I know I've encouraged you to read the McAuslan series before, Shoggy, but I'm positive you'll love it. It's the genesis of much of Blackadder and Discworld (particularly the Wee Free Men and almost certainly Nobby Nobbs). In the story above, Private McAuslan, unquestionably the Dirtiest Soldier in the British Army (tm), gets off on a charge of disobeying an order to bathe.

On the grounds that he is perfectly, ordinarily clean.

Unlike Nubby, he is not quickwitted and amoral, but luckily his lawyer is. And the court scene is a thing of utter beauty.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Just found this, and have been intermittently binge-reading up to the [Redacted] conspiracy. Compelling stuff that's taken up way too much time when I should have been productive.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh yeah, I was going to say I came up with sub-titles for the three stealth mission chapters. Unlike the Tyranid chapters I don't actually think they need them. But I made them anyways:
    • The "Stealth" Mission: "Observation"
    • The "Stealth" Mission: "Infiltration"
    • The "Stealth" Mission: "Assassination"

As for recent events... Well I with just say: Life continues to be terrible for the All Guardsman Party, they continue to make the best of it, and there far too few people around them that are both alive and decent people. Will a bit of luck the number who are neither will continue to grow.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Dwarf in the Playground

Updated the site with the new titles, thanks.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait whaa- Your Welcome. I mean the Tyranid chapter could use it because the acquisition/delivery already formed a set that was cross cut by the part 1&2 thing. But hey, thematic names never hurt.