Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The All Guardsmen Party

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan305 View Post
    Hah, wonderful. I managed to see the twist about the Demonhost coming from your writing, and I'm curious as to what point the party were able to work it out. Was it the moment that you've written? Or was it earlier?
    We'd known that Bane would be coming back ever since we dodged our final battle with him back in our chapter (Failer was more than a little upset about that).

We didn't put the whole "Impromptu Poker Tournament" = "Bane shaping reality to suit him" thing together, at the time that seemed just like something that fit the Planet's general theme. We were also genuinely surprised to Interrogator Angelica turn up again, since he'd been handing us all these pictures of the Sorceress that looked nothing like her. The second she turned up though everything fell into place, which is 90% of why we went for an all out attempt to kill her. Fighting her and Bane *together* was not something we considered to be a smart move, which is why a good portion of our eventual plan revolved around separating them.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Now I'm waiting for the Rupert to show up
    I'M NOT CRAZY!!

I just find sanity a rather dull affair

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

... People reading this realize we have gotten into spoiler territory.

On Angelica: Is that her name? I don't think that has ever been used in the story itself. I know when I saw that picture I thought: Oh, its the turncoat interrogator's portrait, the sorceress obviously draws from the same archetype. Nope.

To A Tad Insane: Yes, that would be awesome. The only other call back I can think of that would be cool is if some of their students showed up. That one I definitely would be surprized if it actually happened, but I think you could get some good moments out of it.

4. - Top - End - #274

Heh. Been reading and enjoying the All Guardsmen Party for a while, and just tonight started browsing through the 'Storytimes' section, when I hit Mr. Lilly. I am now very curious, since the text gives absolutely no indication one way or the other, whether or not you (Shoggy) know that Mr. Lilly is a direct lift of Mr. Tulip, from the Terry Pratchett novel 'The Truth', 'drug' problem, art appreciation, impossible aptitude for violence, potato and all. The only thing changed was Mr. Tulip's habit of cursing by saying ____ing- not bleeped out curses or anything, just a brief pause while speaking followed by 'ing'.

Thinking about it for a moment, Discworld references have cropped up in other places, the biggest being Nubby, who is apparently an alternate-universe version of Nobby Nobbs, of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch.

... how many of your group are Discworld fans, anyhow?

P.S.- love the All Guardsman Party stories, and look forwards to new ones coming out.
    Last edited by TeChameleon; 2017-08-10 at 04:24 AM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cluedrew View Post
    ... People reading this realize we have gotten into spoiler territory.

On Angelica: Is that her name? I don't think that has ever been used in the story itself. I know when I saw that picture I thought: Oh, its the turncoat interrogator's portrait, the sorceress obviously draws from the same archetype. Nope.

To A Tad Insane: Yes, that would be awesome. The only other call back I can think of that would be cool is if some of their students showed up. That one I definitely would be surprized if it actually happened, but I think you could get some good moments out of it.
    Yes, that's her name on the official sheet. None of us remembered it, since we just called her The Bitch that whole time, but it was re-supplied on the grounds that Nubby probably remembered it at least.

And yes, we will be seeing the eventual return of the Rupert in the final chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    I am now very curious, since the text gives absolutely no indication one way or the other, whether or not you (Shoggy) know that Mr. Lilly is a direct lift of Mr. Tulip, from the Terry Pratchett novel 'The Truth'.

... how many of your group are Discworld fans, anyhow?
    Yes, it was a very intended rip-off, we all (well, most of us) got hooked on the Discworld series in middle/high school. That was when we started playing of course, so there was a lot of copying going on, especially in the early days when it felt hard to make a new interesting character, and The Truth had actually just came out either that year or the one before.

At some point it sort of became a cross between nostalgia and a running joke, which is why a bunch of Discworld characters were used during the big character creation death-zerg (though Nubby was the only survivor), and why there's a tendency for familiar NPCs.

6. - Top - End - #276

Gotcha- it's a fun easter-egg, and I have also been a fan of Pratchett since highschool, although... eesh, feeling old now. When I started reading would have been around the time Men at Arms came out (although I started with Mort).

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

I just finished the whole thing again. And I think I had read most of it twice already. This probably means that the All Guardsmen Party is now my favorite book out of (what I read in) the last decade or so. I'm still undecided on whether it's you who's brilliant, your DM or the folks from the setting department at Games Workshop, but the final product definitely is.

One day, one day the story will have the ending it deserves. Hey, no pressure.
    The ultimate OOTS cookie cutter nameless soldier is the hobgoblin.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sorry had a rough time after I went back down to the desert. Eventually got over it, but got caught up in an absolutely insane attempt at "speedruning" total warhammer on the upswing. Blew something like a month of perfectly good writing time on it, which seems silly in retrospect, but at least it got me up and moving again.

If you're interested, it's here:

The Rat Race: A Total Warhammer 2 "Speedrun"
    https://imgur.com/gallery/rRziD

Anyway, I'm back in the swing of things now, and will hopefully be able to keep things moving and get the last 30ish posts of the chapter finished before the holidays.
    Last edited by Shoggy; 2017-12-05 at 06:40 PM.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Awesome, can't wait to see the rest!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Weird timing, I was thinking about this story yesterday for the first time in ages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    I just finished the whole thing again. And I think I had read most of it twice already. This probably means that the All Guardsmen Party is now my favorite book out of (what I read in) the last decade or so. I'm still undecided on whether it's you who's brilliant, your DM or the folks from the setting department at Games Workshop, but the final product definitely is.
    Yeah, I think I'm up to 4 readings of it myself. As for the brilliance goes, I think honestly think it is just that everyone involved had some level of brilliance. The base setting is good, the plot hooks interesting and all the characters were pretty interesting.

And as impressed as I am at the GM's ability to weave stories, make good NPCs and reach to some pretty out of the box solutions, and I am impressed. I think it is really the personalities of the PCs that really make the story work. Besides just being entertaining, they shape the story around them, instead just progressing along it. Too many games I know have that issue. And yes, the base setting as well.