New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: The All Guardsmen Party

Quote Originally Posted by Shoggy View Post
    This post has all the other image links: http://www.reddit.com/r/HFY/comments...ardsman_party/
    No, I was looking for the DnD/Fantasy stories that you'd posted on the last page, but then the mods took down. I'm not seeing those on reddit, but maybe I'm just blind.

Anyway yea, these were never intended to grow so big. The tone/perspective/whatever were aimed at something around 10-20 posts long and more in the vein of a player story than anything. Since then it's gotten a tad out of hand size wise, while not really changing much in the writing department.

I've just edged out the third bloody Harry Potter book (107,253 words) and I'm heading for the fourth...
    Okay, that's around what I was guessing. To me that seems like you could fluff up them into 100-200 page novels for each one, or maybe need to combine some. How much of a lag is there between you guys playing and you writing?

Really it's been a weird experience, this is more or less my first foray into writing anything, I've never had any real education on the subject. Someday it might be nice to try for the real thing, but copyright shenanigans mean I'd have to chuck all this stuff out and start fresh. So it's an odd sort of place to be to say the least, too involved to stop, to esoteric to get published (or even properly edited), it's pretty much destined to stay a web series.

Anyhow, glad you like it and thanks for the input.
    Seriously man, you've got some real natural talent. With some refinement I think you could be a reasonable published author, at least to the "good Black Library" level. Maybe way more, who knows. I'd definitely say take some classes if you've got time/money/interest.

I still say it's worth keeping poking BL, and even if you can't I feel like you could make it generic easily enough. Pyskers aren't huge parts of most of your plots, and neither are tech priests. Past that you're a generic spec ops force handling weird missions for a generic and weird spy agency basically. Like obviously talk to some lawyers if you really think about going that route, but I think you could keep the core ideas and stories and characters, and just change some details.

It's great getting a chance to chat and give some input. I'd kill to get to play with a group like yours.
    Fallen London: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Acliabides

Quote Originally Posted by Fibinachi View Post
    Raxtel would like to quick-draw his grapnel and line gun and try to reel in Sarge like some particularly authoritive fish before we lose him in the middle of the rebel infested, colder-than-space tundra.
    Only War Jungle of Sin: Darrien Holt

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

HTML version has been working fine for me, and I appreciate the effort you took in setting it up. It works quite well as a web series in my opinion.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Demon 997 View Post
    No, I was looking for the DnD/Fantasy stories that you'd posted on the last page, but then the mods took down. I'm not seeing those on reddit, but maybe I'm just blind.
    Ah my mistake, didn't know those were scrubbed, here's a roundabout link to them via reddit.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/2dn8mc/

I make no promises of quality...

The stories used to lag 2 weeks behind the sessions, now I'm at about 2 months. We play every other weekend and it's been taking three weeks or so to write each chapter.

Thanks for your words of encouragement, it means a lot. Next time I have a gap in my schedule again I'll probably take a crack at talking to some literary folks and doing an edit pass on the archived chapters.

HTML version has been working fine for me, and I appreciate the effort you took in setting it up.
    Ah that's good to hear. I wanted a place to save everything with the images and such intact, but it turns out that a google document gets unstable when it gets that long and PDF editors bite.
    Last edited by Shoggy; 2015-01-14 at 11:19 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64

WolfInSheepsClothing

Ah my mistake, didn't know those were scrubbed, here's a roundabout link to them via reddit.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/2dn8mc/

I make no promises of quality...
    Thanks man. I'm going to be skimming the reading for tomorrow so hard... (I'll be fine)

Thanks for your words of encouragement, it means a lot. Next time I have a gap in my schedule again I'll probably take a crack at talking to some literary folks and doing an edit pass on the archived chapters.
    I really mean it too. I think I at least somewhat know what I'm talking about, having some fairly high grade college writing stuff under my belt, and a parent whose a professional editor. And just reading a ton, both good stuff, and warhammer stuff. You're easily more fun to read than Ciaphais Cain, and I like Cain.

Raxtel would like to quick-draw his grapnel and line gun and try to reel in Sarge like some particularly authoritive fish before we lose him in the middle of the rebel infested, colder-than-space tundra.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground

Just shotgunned the whole log (HTML version, which is working quite well), including the new material, and I have to say that it was pretty good.

In regards to your writing, which you said you were worried about:
    The storytelling was done quite well. You managed to sell the ensemble cast, capture the tone and feel of the setting without devolving into too many details, and despite most of the combat being abstracted away, you've done a very good job keeping up the tension and action in your story. And while there were a few typos or sentences gone awry, on the whole it was very good.

That said, while the writing style did fit a campaign log well, I'm not quite sure how well it would translate into literary works, where the convention goes for much more detail, a slower pace, and a more in-universe perspective; balancing that probably the trickiest part of writing, and what sells.

On the whole, though? Good job, and keep doing what you're doing. I look forward to seeing more.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Just shotgunned the whole log (HTML version, which is working quite well), including the new material, and I have to say that it was pretty good.
    Wow. How long did that take you?

7. - Top - End - #67
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Demon 997 View Post
    Wow. How long did that take you?
    Took me two days I had on break, but that's because stuff kept interrupting me. It was worth the time, though.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

8. - Top - End - #68

You know, you might want to post a synopsis over on the Campaign Logs Archive thread, I think this is the only 40k Journal I've ever stumbled across.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    At least we can say Kid Jake has style. And possibly is insane.
    My Campaign Journals

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    You know, you might want to post a synopsis over on the Campaign Logs Archive thread, I think this is the only 40k Journal I've ever stumbled across.
    Done, thanks for the pointer.

10. - Top - End - #70

Yar, glad to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    At least we can say Kid Jake has style. And possibly is insane.
    My Campaign Journals

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

So I am caught up now. Very fun although I do feel kind of sad for Interogator Bane.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    So I am caught up now. Very fun although I do feel kind of sad for Interogator Bane.
    You might say you . . .
    . . . Bonded with the character.
    I thought he was a neat
    Spoiler: Spoiler of Sorts of Latest Episode
    Show
    deconstruction of the Mary Sue, though, given the setting, how damn safe of a psyker he was made him something of a Mary Sue out of universe as well. I still enjoyed it though, as he got his comeuppance in the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

haven't caught up yet, but this is really a wonderful read.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    I'm fairly sure we'll see him again someday, our GM had far too much fun with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Spoiler: Spoiler of Sorts of Latest Episode
    Show
    deconstruction of the Mary Sue, though, given the setting, how damn safe of a psyker he was made him something of a Mary Sue out of universe as well. I still enjoyed it though, as he got his comeuppance in the end.
    The mechanics that made him work were absolutely terrifying for us, every time he rolled anything less than perfectly our GM would steal from whatever we were rolling. None of us could see when he rolled a phenomena or perils, but after we figured out the basics of how he worked it was obvious. We'd be doing fine, then suddenly lose about 20 points off all of our rolls.

That's the reason we tread so carefully at the end and tried to social our way out of the final battle. We were terrified of him, especially since we'd used all of Fate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mabn View Post
    haven't caught up yet, but this is really a wonderful read.
    Thanks!

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

I can't say the ending from the last one surprised me overly much, I figured that was coming, but I just LOOOVE the way each of them ends such that they hint at the next one in some way.... That last line had me laughing my behind off. Am soooooo looking forward to the next one, the new Inquisitor certainly seems like he might be one of the more competent ones.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm fairly sure we'll see him again someday, our GM had far too much fun with him.

The mechanics that made him work were absolutely terrifying for us, every time he rolled anything less than perfectly our GM would steal from whatever we were rolling. None of us could see when he rolled a phenomena or perils, but after we figured out the basics of how he worked it was obvious. We'd be doing fine, then suddenly lose about 20 points off all of our rolls.

That's the reason we tread so carefully at the end and tried to social our way out of the final battle. We were terrified of him, especially since we'd used all of Fate.

Thanks!
    Weirdly enough, I actually thought it was something like this!

My first thought was that the DM had given the guy wicked fate points, but then with the "luck drain" thing going on, I realized it had to be stat driven somehow. My assumption was something like "Everybody in 30m is considered -5 points lower in every stat, while Bane gets +5 in every stat for every person within 30m of him."

On another note, you implied somewhere that you ran into Ivana Crushyu sometime in the future? Has that happened yet or has it just been hinted AT you by the DM?
    "YOU HAVE UNCORKED A SH-TSTORM FOR WHICH THERE IS NO LONGER A BOTTLE!!!"

"And a quick Google search lead to the cavernous hell of a Shoggoths bunghole, as most google searches tend to do..."

"I have ideas. But Osama bin Laden had ideas too, so I talk with my friends to make sure I don't make a colossal F-ck up."

In the words of that ancient guardsman hero Ollanius Pius, "Why the hell is everything always our job?"

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

She's been added to the NPC pool, but didn't join the trip to Tau space, pretty much everyone else did though.

18. - Top - End - #78

it reads really well but i am wondering if it was fun ti actually play?

All the investigation stuff and Inquisitor bs that was happening that the guards really didn't get much involved in, how did the GM handle that?

Was it a quick synopsis about what happened and then straight into the next encounter where you actually had something to do or what?
    Aside from "have fun", i think the key to GMing is putting your players into situations where they need to make a choice that has no perfect outcome available. They will hate you for it, but they will be back at the table session after session.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh it's quite fun for us at least, though your mileage may vary.

While the NPCs are doing the leg-work we're getting a fair bit of RP time in and doing a little planning and skill work, our DM's pretty good about making sure the stuff we do has an affect on the story, even if it's something as minor as pissing off one of the NPCs or snagging a few thrones.

When we finish with whatever we were doing the GM usually gives us a brief rundown of what the NPCs did, then asks how much attention we paid and perhaps for a roll. After that we might get some more details or just told what our next orders were. I think it occasionally frustrates him that we'll randomly decide to be interested in things, it means he has to do a lot of planning or be ready to improv.

Anyway, yes there are sections where we're not really necessary to the advancement of the plot, but we like to spend that time acting like a combination of hyperactive children and sarcastic critics. It entertains us.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have a small question that occurred to me just now.

From "The All Guardsman Party and the Discount Spaceship" story, how much of the 2 funniest twists did you guys know about ahead of time or ended up actually being surprising/having to role-play your characters reactions?

The 2 funniest twists I'm referring to are "WHAT DO YOU MEAN 6 RE-FURBISHED GELLAR FIELDS!?" and when Old Bill said "Psyker Holding Cells" and everybody realized this ship was one of the blackmarket psyker smuggling ships. Basically, both times where it was revealed that Nubby was an stupid a$$hat. (Though an entertaining one )

"And a quick Google search lead to the cavernous hell of a Shoggoths bunghole, as most google searches tend to do..."

"I have ideas. But Osama bin Laden had ideas too, so I talk with my friends to make sure I don't make a colossal F-ck up."

In the words of that ancient guardsman hero Ollanius Pius, "Why the hell is everything always our job?"

21. - Top - End - #81
    Halfling in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Nice to see a new tale uploaded, they are always a fun read. Kind of funny that you now seem to be having a bit more good luck with psykers (only a bit). I'm looking forward to the next installment as it seems to foucs on oone of the factions I like.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nubby knew everything ahead of time, since it was part of the re-introduction, everyone else was blindsided by both events.

Usually the way the story is set up gives everyone a general idea about what the opposition will be, that time everyone was very confused up until Sarge talked to the tech-priest. The bets were split between a hijacking / piracy attempt, something really sinister about the notes and tech-priests, genestealers, and finding a space-hulk. It was quite the surprise for everyone when the name of the game turned out to be Gellar Field Funtimes. Nubby's player got an unfair amount of flak for not telling anyone.

The reveal of the psyker cells was interesting to everyone, but not as scary or surprising. At that point the **** had already hit the fan and it was just filling in a nice piece of backstory. There was a sort of "oh THAT'S what the underlying plot is" moment and a bit of laughing and facepalming, but no one threw anything at Nubby's player.

All-in-all that chapter had the most successful twists in the story, generally we're a very genre-savvy party.

As a side note the next chapter is being aimed for next weekened.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Halfling in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    Nubby's player got an unfair amount of flak for not telling anyone.
    Sorry I just just had to laugh since I read where you said who you played as.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nubby knew everything ahead of time, since it was part of the re-introduction, everyone else was blindsided by both events.

Usually the way the story is set up gives everyone a general idea about what the opposition will be, that time everyone was very confused up until Sarge talked to the tech-priest. The bets were split between a hijacking / piracy attempt, something really sinister about the notes and tech-priests, genestealers, and finding a space-hulk. It was quite the surprise for everyone when the name of the game turned out to be Gellar Field Funtimes. Nubby's player got an unfair amount of flak for not telling anyone.

The reveal of the psyker cells was interesting to everyone, but not as scary or surprising. At that point the **** had already hit the fan and it was just filling in a nice piece of backstory. There was a sort of "oh THAT'S what the underlying plot is" moment and a bit of laughing and facepalming, but no one threw anything at Nubby's player.

All-in-all that chapter had the most successful twists in the story, generally we're a very genre-savvy party.

As a side note the next chapter is being aimed for next weekened.
    WOO-HOO! Perfect way to end the first week of a new semester! *does the happy dance*

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

I just finished reading through this; it was great.

Spoiler: Semi-spoiler
    Show
    One question I did have, though, is how exactly Bane worked mechanically. I'm going to be running a character in a DH game soon, and the character concept is a complete nervous wreck of a guy who always narrowly avoids dying by manifesting his powers just in time. Were Bane's abilities houseruled, or are they something I can find in a rulebook somewhere?

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bane was a fricken monster and completely houseruled.

The gist of it was that whenever he failed a roll (or even when he didn't crit) he would make it up by stealing from everyone else's rolls. So everyone would roll, DM would calculate his stuff, then we'd find out a hit that should have done 5 did 2 or an easy skill check failed. Also for every theft he did there was a chance for perils/phenoma, but that just meant he had to steal more to make up for it or dump it on Fumbles. Finally who he stole from was range based and determined by roll, sometimes he'd shave 1 off 10 people others he'd shave 10 off of one poor sucker.

Of course there were limits to how much he could take and the DM had all these mechanics set up for him getting warpier and warpier as he strained, but never got to use them because we chickened out on the final fight.

Also for those curious why a new chapter isn't up, I got yelled at for trying to post during our weekend session. Will hopefully post this weekend.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Loving the stories of your group, and can't wait to read the latest adventure!

Also, if you'd like a copy editor to give your stuff a once-over I am volunteering my services. :3
    Spoiler: Questions the DM Never Expected to Need an Answer For
    Show

"What if I cut off my legs, attached my arms to the stumps, and then got ANOTHER pair of arms to attach to my shoulder sockets?"

"What is the cost and weight of a mirror big enough to fit a human inside?"

"Can I summon blink dog corgis?"

"Can I cast Feather Fall on a crashing airship?"

"Is there a place in the city we could open a brothel?"

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

New chapter is up

Here's the HTML, archive, and imgur links to The All Guardsmen Party and the Greater Good:
    https://googledrive.com/host/0B3Z9sX...dFWXM/agp.html
    http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/38181397/
    http://imgur.com/gallery/5uUpI

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessCupcake View Post
    Loving the stories of your group, and can't wait to read the latest adventure!

Also, if you'd like a copy editor to give your stuff a once-over I am volunteering my services. :3
    That'd be great, drop me an email, my address is in the html
    Last edited by Shoggy; 2015-02-21 at 02:06 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Question, so. How many characters has your team lost? It sounds like the skeletons in the poker game on the ship might be your dead teamates. I would need to review the old stories. But I think you lost the sword nut since then, right?

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

The occupants of the Spooky Poker Room are:

PCs:
    • Heavy
    • Crisp
    • Cutter

NPCs:
    • An asortment of guardsmen
    • 1 adept
    • 1 psyker
    • 2 cogboys
    • 4 assassins
    • 1 arbite
    • 1 scum
    • 1 khornate
    • 1 cleric (being repeatedly beaten up up the knornate)
    • About two dozen Inquisitorial recruits
    • 2 adepts
    • 2 arbites
    • 1 infiltrator

The goings on in that room are a matter of much speculation.
    Last edited by Shoggy; 2015-02-23 at 12:16 AM.