New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The All Guardsmen Party

Quote Originally Posted by Shoggy View Post
    I imagine there would've been a desperate battle at the boarding point, complicated by our cargo no-doubt. Knowing our DM, the short-term danger would've paid off by making the next leg of the journey easier until the Marines left again and everything started falling apart. He probably would've added a few ork/nid boarders on our ship too, due to the delay in leaving the system. It's the sort of time-line controlled disaster he likes to do.

In fact I think that diverting would've really changed the next chapter's focus to be on stowaway xenos as opposed to what we ran into. Gotta say that would've been very different, and I can't imagine how the next chapter's ending would've turned out.
    gotcha and thanks for the response. If you don't mind would you please ask them next time you speak to them? Really its just passing curiosity, but, well, cats and all that. BTW, how does your group feel about the story write up?
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

They find it flattering to say the least (our DM revels in the attention when he posts the chapters on reddit), but try to ignore it when they play.

Oh and they find it very annoying when I try to work on it during a session. I am not allowed computer access anymore.
    Last edited by Shoggy; 2015-06-28 at 10:54 AM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

I notice there is now a page on the 4chan wiki for the Occurrence Border. It's making me itch to play just on the ship.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Banned

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by JenBurdoo View Post
    I notice there is now a page on the 4chan wiki for the Occurrence Border. It's making me itch to play just on the ship.
    ... same here. There are so many options and opportunities for adventure just on the ship itself! You could get full campaigns with players as The Watch, hydroponic tribals, engineers... or a combination of any of those.
    Last edited by Hawkstar; 2015-07-18 at 08:16 PM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

Some hardworking fellow actually went in and put together a lot of good random tables too, they're linked at the bottom of the page.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkstar View Post
    ... same here. There are so many options and opportunities for adventure just on the ship itself! You could get full campaigns with players as The Watch, hydroponic tribals, engineers... or a combination of any of those.
    There are a few of us interested in doing just that, playing as an all tech priest (cogbro) party. I'll post more details once it's recruiting.
    Fallen London: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Acliabides

Quote Originally Posted by Fibinachi View Post
    Raxtel would like to quick-draw his grapnel and line gun and try to reel in Sarge like some particularly authoritive fish before we lose him in the middle of the rebel infested, colder-than-space tundra.
    Only War Jungle of Sin: Darrien Holt

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm impressed by the campaign journal format. What website template did you use for the image/text format?
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

8. - Top - End - #158
    Banned

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Endarire View Post
    I'm impressed by the campaign journal format. What website template did you use for the image/text format?
    You mean 4chan? Or something else?

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Endarire View Post
    The base styling and color schemes are stolen from 4chan. I changed the images to alternate sides because I feel it makes things look less monotonous. I also didn't want to deal with having images start as thumbnails then expand, so I bumped their size up to around 250px max and resize everything to fit so it doesn't hog bandwidth. There's also a few CSS rules floating around to make everything look nice at most monitor sizes.

Anyway, it's all actually VERY simple from a code perspective. When I put in a new chapter I just copy and paste a bunch of times, and resize + rename all the images. It's not elegant but it's not hard and doesn't require any real programming knowledge.

If you, or anyone else, wants to use this format (or wants to know how to get Google Docs to work as a web host) I'd be happy to walk you through it. Maybe someday I'll build a tool to do it all for people...

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm interested, Shog!
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

You know this is not what I was supposed to be doing today...

Anyway, here you go:

Shoggy's Guide to Doing a Chan-Journal Thing and Hosting it on Google Drive!

First of all, here's a zip of demo files:
    https://drive.google.com/uc?export=d...0RPUGhWTE5pMHc

And here's the guide
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...vDTGw92ntdfPY/

Here's the working demo folder with all the files and the guide in it, just in case someone wants this link too
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...XYteDIyQzktWkE

Do let me know if any of this doesn't work or make sense.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

How many years have passed in-game for the All Guardsmen Party? Probably doesn't matter too much now that Sarge is an Interrogator and can get them all rejuvenat treatment...

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's not precisely nailed down, but 4-5 years have passed since the party's induction into the Inquisition.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

Recently finished reading this and I'm impressed with the writing quality. I really like all the current characters, it would suck if any of them died by now. Heavy seemed rather one note (granted that was earlier on when only Twitch and Nubby had any real characterization) and Cutter didn't seem to have much to do during downtime. Tink however is getting up to some awesome tech heresy that threatens to get the whole party purged!

Thank you for taking the time to write up your sessions. I've never played any of the Warhammer RPGs and you make it sound like an absolute blast.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

It is true that most of the characters have "grown" over the chapters. Most of the characters had either no personality or a personality based around a single feature at the beginning. Now they are all much more complete and varied characters. And the thing is... although I don't want any of them to die, I'm not sure if I want all of them to live, if that makes any sense. If not maybe I should say the threat of death is part of the all guardsmen party.

Of course I hope no one gets killed for that reason. Because then it goes from the threat of death to just death.

Spoiler: Particular Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, although it was a darker moment Crispy's death was one of my favourite in the story. Even if he was brought in for that moment and you only saw the end of the story it was still... something about war stories and why we shouldn't glorify these things. Something like that. And he took out a Chaos Space Marine. That was cool. ... Actually Cutter died fighting Chaos Space Marines as well...

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

I wouldn't mind TOO much if one of the PCs was killed or withdrawn at this point, simply because I want to know what other characters the players have up their sleeves. Failer10 (the GM) at some point mentioned that about 15 of the original 37 characters are "still alive" (the rest having been killed offscreen) but that exactly which of them are is determined by what the players want to play next.
    Spoiler: Later chapter spoilers
    Show

I wonder if at some point they will use Sarge's authority to "induct" all the regimental survivors into his retinue, just because they've sort of been together for that long and don't want to break up the larger group. They've certainly dragged Aimy in, even though she wasn't a member of their original unit, and she's basically replaced Sarge as one of the "five Guardsmen under an Interrogator, plus five non-combat types".

Speaking of which, the non-combat NPCs are cool too, and I hope more of them survive as well. Fumbles has become a "regular," the infiltrator was killed off, while the hacker, xenos-expert and sarcastic-puppet-diplomat are still around. The infiltrator and diplomat both had very awesome moments so far, while the other two have stayed in the background.

And then there's a twelfth -- Doc's Hospitaller girlfriend, who we still don't know that much about.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Thumbs up Re: The All Guardsmen Party

A lurker here. This tale is awesome. Good job and keep going because it's awesome.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've returned from the mountains and writing has resumed! Here's a short interlude from between where the last chapter left off and where the next chapter starts!

Now, this started as an intro piece, but it became far too large, so I split it off. As a result, the writing style is a bit different from usual, and significantly more raw party dialogue has been left in. So I'd like to apologize in advance if the language gets a little crude, it's Aimy's fault.

The All Guardsmen Party Interlude: Dewarp
    HTML: https://googledrive.com/host/0B3Z9sX...XM/dewarp.html

SupTG Archive: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/42204030/

Silly Image Thing: http://imgur.com/gallery/c0kerRl/
    Last edited by Shoggy; 2015-08-31 at 04:41 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ahh, but an appetizer before the entree! It somehow satisfies, yet wets the appetite for more!
    "YOU HAVE UNCORKED A SH-TSTORM FOR WHICH THERE IS NO LONGER A BOTTLE!!!"

"And a quick Google search lead to the cavernous hell of a Shoggoths bunghole, as most google searches tend to do..."

"I have ideas. But Osama bin Laden had ideas too, so I talk with my friends to make sure I don't make a colossal F-ck up."

In the words of that ancient guardsman hero Ollanius Pius, "Why the hell is everything always our job?"

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

Daemoniiiiiids.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

21. - Top - End - #171
    Pixie in the Playground

I've returned from the mountains and writing has resumed! Here's a short interlude from between where the last chapter left off and where the next chapter starts!

Now, this started as an intro piece, but it became far too large, so I split it off. As a result, the writing style is a bit different from usual, and significantly more raw party dialogue has been left in. So I'd like to apologize in advance if the language gets a little crude, it's Aimy's fault.

The All Guardsmen Party Interlude: Dewarp
    HTML: https://googledrive.com/host/0B3Z9sX...XM/dewarp.html

SupTG Archive: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/42204030/

Silly Image Thing: http://imgur.com/gallery/c0kerRl/
    It was very, very entertaining and funny, thanks!
    Not sure if it's on my end or yours, but I'm seeing some funky characters in the document, I think they're probably occurring where a trail off ("...") would be, except that you've got some of those working there as well... It's a mystery!

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

Can you tell me where you're seeing them? It's an encoding thing, but I need to check if I uploaded in the wrong format if your machine is reading in the wrong format.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Pixie in the Playground

Can you tell me where you're seeing them? It's an encoding thing, but I need to check if I uploaded in the wrong format if your machine is reading in the wrong format.
    Sure!
    Spoiler: Spoilers yo
    Show

even her nurses to hear, she muttered, "Emperor… why'd he have to be an optimist?"
    "E's not gonna like dis…" muttered Nubby, "NOT IT!"
    nothing but lho sticks and suspiciously-unlabeled bags of pills. "Huh… neat. Anyone wanna smoke?" Behind him Twitch
    "S'not my fault, stupid machine spirits being little bitches. No bloody scientific reason…"
    "Oh… ****…" [A few lines down from the above]
    Oak's lab is." he paused for a second, not quite believing what he was saying, then continued "So yeah, we win, good job people…"
    and applied this theory to the current situation. "Yeah... now that we've finally reached it, I can totally see this waystation being full of… of…" she trailed off.

Those are the only occurrences I can find with ctrl + f.
    Last edited by oshi; 2015-09-02 at 09:54 AM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

All fixed now. I swear, the encoding settings on Notepad++ arbitrarily flipping to UTF when you copy a file is one of the most annoying things I've ever encountered.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

I actually read the Intermission a few days ago and was going to reply... but then I got caught up in re-reading the old chapters. Still a great read. I'm also thinking of pulling out some quotes about the characters and the party itself for the "Quotes you can build a character off of" thread.

I've got: "Of course Doc wasn't really a doctor, he was a medic. He wasn't really in the business of curing people, just making them more comfortable while they die." and "we could defend a barricade in our sleep (literally in Heavy's case)"/"Heavy has decided that this is all above his paygrade and is making himself comfortable by lying across a row of seats." so far.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

I can't actually claim the medic quote, it's from Red vs. Blue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lSaevNSg2Q

It's around the 1:24 mark.

We've stolen a fair bit from that series, for instance Aimy is at least partially based off Tex and Sarge has stolen several lines from... Sarge.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

I'll credit it to Red vs. Blue when I write it out then. Although I'm trying to get a complete set before I go forward.

Actually another comment I had but forgot about is that I noticed that there was a change in style for Dewarp. The squad's personification sort of disappeared (the use of "we") and there was a lot more quotes from the characters. Is that a purposeful style change and is it just for the intermission?

The quotes in particular I could see as just a evolution of style, I have noticed a gentle increase in the number of quotes used as the story has progressed, I think the first time we actually get a quote from any character in the party is near the end of Nubby's Girlfriend.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Dwarf in the Playground

The style change is due to it being an intro-piece that got too long, so I spun it off. I'll be switching back to the usual perspective for the next real chapter, I'm too unfamiliar with this sort of dialogue-heavy normal-book-style to write it anywhere near fast enough to get through the rest of the chapters before the heat death of the universe.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks for the answer.

One more thing I noticed going back is that there is a link at the start of Heretic Purging. It is to a list of chapters that is on another site, so it is working and maybe a link you want to keep around, but that is a really odd place for it. It is one of the unedited chapters but because it is a link it may or may not be more important to fix. I'm not sure I just thought I would let you know.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfPirate

Just started reading this campaign log, and the only word I have to describe it is beautiful.