New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default EMPIRE! CWBG XI: We Finally Have Nomads

Hello! Pleasant to see you here! However, we've moved on to a newer thread. The current thread is here. Come on in!

EMPIRE!
    Gods, Kings & Adventurers
    A Community World=Building Game by Morph Bark

Current Year: 486-490
    IC thread: click!
    Dice-Rolling thread: click!

NOTE:
    Every so often, the rules have small updates, marked in red. If you discover a hole in the rules, please report it so it can be looked into and taken care of. We try to make the rules as clear, solid and usable as they can be, so they don't need a GM to make rulings too often.

Welcome to EMPIRE! A game of gods, kings and adventurers. In this game, you will play a character, a ruler of a region. And once s/he dies, you will play their heir and so on, continuing on the family legacy. You scheme, discover and conquer your way towards becoming the most-remembered person in history. Respected, loved, feared.

This world will start as a simple one similar to the early Middle Ages, but through the actions of players and random events the scope of the world will expand, science marches on and magic may even be introduced to some lucky ones. For now, magic is nowhere to be found, though monsters may exist in players’ regions or beyond their borders and supernatural phenomena can take place.

Best beware if you want to ensure your legacy.

If you want to become a player and all regions are currently taken, don't worry. New regions can always be added in during play, and we can put you on the waiting list in the meantime should no regions be available at this time. If Empire interests you, but you don't want to play the game, you can always partake in the Freeform RP threads that are open to everyone, or even in its World-Building threads. See the list at the end of this post.

Be warned! This is primarily a game of world-building, but contains some strategic elements, secretive scheming, and both cooperation and vehement competition between players at times. It's all easy enough to understand once you've read through the rules of this post, and GREAT fun to play in and talk with all your co-world-builders in this thread, but keep in mind that in the game itself, IC, it can be a very bumpy ride. Let us ask questions, help each other, communicate, cooperate, build and have fun OOC, even as we bash each other's brains in IC.

Also, if you have a question, and you can ask a player (about their region or people, for instance), ask them instead of the GM. If you can ask it in the thread, do that instead of via PM. The GM's PM inbox is regularly cleared and thus things can easily get lost, so try keep it to secret stuff and (IC) reactions to stuff you get in your own inbox.

Atlas
    Spoiler
    Show
    Below is the most current map of the known world. Here is a list of regions that has been claimed and by whom. It is slightly outdated, so if you aim to take over a certain region, it is always good to double-check in the main thread (this one) whether it is taken or not. It might even currently be in the process of being taken over by someone else. This is especially good advice to new players, because then you're more aware of the general situation of the area you'll be dropping into.

The Rules of the Game
    See this thread.

Game Masters
    Rulecrafter: Morph Bark

Head GM: QuintonBeck

GM Team: Aedilred, TheWombatOfDoom, Waylander

~ ~ GM Data Collection ~ ~
    All the information on rulers & regions

See this thread for all records of rulers, population, military, agents, technologies, etc.

See this thread for all records on resources and trade.

New Player Tips and Advice (Morph)

FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions (Wombat)

Extra Player Resources (For the Players, By the Players)
    Heraldry Generator (thanks, Logic!)
    Family Banner Generator
    Flag Generator (thanks, Logic!)
    Family Tree Builder (thanks, zabbarot!)

Should there be anything incorrect or not updated yet about any of the above tables it’s always possible that the GM or co-GM in charge of that has missed it. If so, please feel free to inform us with the proper, most updated information.

Fluff-Building Threads
    The following threads are purely for expanding on existing fluff or theorizing about the history or make-up of the world. Some of them are in-character role-play bits, some are projects for creating maps, others are quotes or excerpts from books.
    Pre-History (World-Building, pre-Year 1, pre-Year 330)
    Rajurdic Codex (Year 338+)
    Scrolls of Prowess (Year 349+)
    Bestiary of Telluris (Year 354+)
    Regional Maps (World-Building)
    Northern Hemisphere Star Map (World-Building)
    13 Swords of the True Jaaku Na (World-Building)

Previous Main Thread Incarnations
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2015-04-03 at 11:01 AM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! CWBG XI: We Finally Have Nomads

Quote Originally Posted by ReaderAt2046 View Post
    BTW, I'd like to float something for everybody's consideration. I'm planning on refitting my Ice Dragons for use as military mounts, but Quinton said he didn't think that the Berunda-riding technology could be adapted to Ice Dragons because they're so much bigger than anything else that tech has been used for. His suggestion was that I could Cur 10 up an Ice-Dragon Riding Tech which would, instead of the Aerial Unit Bonus (+1 battle, +1 maneuvering), possibly grant some kind of Large War Animal Bonus (+2 battle, maybe)? So I wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on 1) whether the Berunda-Riding Tech could be adapted to Ice Dragons and 2) if I did Cur 10 up a custom Ice-Dragon Riding Tech, should it grant the standard Aerial Unit Bonus or something else?
    Kralax riding tech could work... Or at least be a strong basis for research for you.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Current Year: 440-445
    We're way past year 445 The Ball is occurring in 480, after all

I'm not being an ass, I know Morph is busy, i just thought it was funny =( please don't hurt me
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2014-12-06 at 12:50 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    (Actually, is professional soldiery even a thing yet in Telluris, beyond the Knights and occasional Mercenaries? Wondering if we're all operating on feudal levies, reserve forces, straight conscription, slave troops (cough Tzalteclan cough), Swiss Guards, or what.)
    Seaborne Confederation will have professional, full time Navy, based on their pirate ancestry. Beyond that, I hadn't thought of it.
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

Pet Peeve: Yay ≠ Yeah

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    We're way past year 445 The Ball is occurring in 480, after all

I'm not being an ass, I know Morph is busy, i just thought it was funny =( please don't hurt me
    I'm somewhat surprised Morph opened it rather than Quinton. Not that there's anything wrong with a Morph opener. He invented the game after all, putting his name right at the front of the thread is warranted.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ImperatorV View Post
    I'm somewhat surprised Morph opened it rather than Quinton. Not that there's anything wrong with a Morph opener. He invented the game after all, putting his name right at the front of the thread is warranted.
    When someone takes over making the main threads, they could go with "Morph Bark's EMPIRE! CWBG #: Now With Monthly Sequels".
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

On the subject of Nomads:

The rules look pretty much good to me. Since "Super Nomads" is hopefully a placeholder, I'd like to suggest League as their GK-equivalent. This is historically fairly common among larger nomad groups, to keep things organized. Presumably, semi-independent groups split off from the main mass (as per normal rules) but the main leader retains some precedence as the greatest and most powerful of the Chieftains; nevertheless, while they do have significant soft power and influence among their fellow groups, they cannot actually give direct orders.

When a proper League is formed, while they still don't have totalitarian absolute rulership or anything, they at least have the legal basis necessary to directly coordinate actions between the groups, allowing wider ranging without worry of losing a group entirely and allowing more overall efficiency (as implied by the extra action).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ReaderAt2046 View Post
    BTW, I'd like to float something for everybody's consideration. I'm planning on refitting my Ice Dragons for use as military mounts, but Quinton said he didn't think that the Berunda-riding technology could be adapted to Ice Dragons because they're so much bigger than anything else that tech has been used for. His suggestion was that I could Cur 10 up an Ice-Dragon Riding Tech which would, instead of the Aerial Unit Bonus (+1 battle, +1 maneuvering), possibly grant some kind of Large War Animal Bonus (+2 battle, maybe)? So I wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on 1) whether the Berunda-Riding Tech could be adapted to Ice Dragons and 2) if I did Cur 10 up a custom Ice-Dragon Riding Tech, should it grant the standard Aerial Unit Bonus or something else?
    Pterids and perytons are already probably stretching the bounds of what's possible for berunda-riding, since berundas aren't very big, so unless the ice dragons are tiny, a berunda-riding adaptation probably isn't going to cut it. Griffon-riding is probably closer to the mark but again, depending how big the dragons are, a little on the small side.

To an extent it depends how impressive you imagine the dragons being. If they are sizeable - proper dragons, in other words - they'll want a tech of their own. A +2 sounds reasonable - albeit stacking would have to be considered.

On the subject of Nomads:

The rules look pretty much good to me. Since "Super Nomads" is hopefully a placeholder, I'd like to suggest League as their GK-equivalent. This is historically fairly common among larger nomad groups, to keep things organized. Presumably, semi-independent groups split off from the main mass (as per normal rules) but the main leader retains some precedence as the greatest and most powerful of the Chieftains; nevertheless, while they do have significant soft power and influence among their fellow groups, they cannot actually give direct orders.
    "Super Nomads" is non-negotiable! Not really
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Nomads, Second Draft

Spoiler: Nomad Rules
    Show
    Players may start with a group of nomads instead of a settled region. Nomad groups follow slightly different rules to settled regions, as follows. Except where noted nomads follow the usual rules.

Creating a nomad group

A new player should describe their nomad group in fluff, and select a region for them to start in. Preferably this should be a region not currently occupied by another player, although nomads may start in settled regions by agreement with players or with approval of the GMs. If nomads are present in a region they will be marked as <region number>N.

Habitat: Nomads are either land-based or water-based (Sky-based nomads may be introduced at a later stage). This affects the regions they can travel to.

Population: Nomad groups start with a population of 10,000 + 4d10(x1000).

Resources: Describe three major resources that the nomads possess. These must be resources that the nomads can transport, and replenish while on the move. They therefore cannot possess mined goods as native resources, or resources that are reliant on static sources (such as forests, or immobile manufacturing capacity).

Describe people and religion as you would for a settled region. There is no need to describe terrain, as the nomads will move between regions, but you might like to describe other features to make up for that.

Region Types

Nomad groups
    Nomads do not permanently occupy or settle, but they still have to be in a region. Each nomad group under a player's control occupies a different region. These groups take the number of the region they are in, plus "N" to mark them as nomads. When they move to a different region, they adopt that region number.

Nomads may only move to regions adjacent to the region in which they currently are roaming.

Diplomacy

Moving a group of nomads into an adjacent region is a Diplomacy action. A player may move all their groups of nomads with a single Diplomacy action. If a player occupies the region and does not wish the nomads to enter, the nomads can try to bargain or infiltrate their way in with an opposed Diplomacy roll. Alternatively the nomads can try to enter by force, in which case it acts as an invasion under the Military rules.

A nomad group may agree trades and treaties with the settled peoples it moves into as a sub-action of the main Diplomacy actions.

Nomads may attempt to recruit local populations. For each Diplomacy action taken, nomads may recruit 1d4*1000 local population, which become a permanent part of that nomad group. The settled region's player may attempt to stop the nomads doing this, in which case it is an opposed Diplomacy roll.

Diplomacy 5
    A player may use a Diplomacy 5 special action to mitigate the effects of nomads living in a region. Until the end of that ruler's reign the effects will stop.

Diplomacy 10
    A player with four nomad groups may use a Diplomacy 10 action to establish a Nomad League. These nomads may roam more widely than normal nomads and need not occupy contiguous regions. The player gains an extra action per round.

[A player with twelve nomad groups and/or vassal regions under their control may form a Nomad Empire. Nomad Empires work like normal empires, and the nomads may maintain one region as a permanent base (their capital region). They do not have to move from this region, but it cannot be occupied by another player, and if this region is lost the nomads lose their empire.

Military

Nomads may raise up to 50% of a group as troops, up to the normal limit of 10,000 for their primary group and 5,000 for auxiliary groups. Land nomads may only raise Land units. Water nomads may only raise Naval units. These can later be converted if the nomads possess appropriate resources and technologies although Naval units will be automatically disbanded if the nomads occupy no coastal regions.

Nomads may invade a region trying to keep them out. A single round battle is fought; if the nomads win the battle, they successfully occupy that region. If defeated, they remain in the region they started from.

If nomads suffer two consecutive defeats in the same region, they are driven out and must move to a neighbouring region. If they cannot migrate to a neighbouring region, that group loses 1d6x1000 population per round and cannot trade until it successfully migrates. Nomads cannot be conquered.

Curiosity

Nomads may conduct investigations, research, invent or develop new technologies as any other region. They must be able to transport any resources or technologies they create. Nomads may only benefit from immovable technologies (such as fortification-based technologies) if they are present in a region possessing appropriate facilities.

Nomads may undertake and contribute to Great Projects. Immobile Great Projects remain in the region where they were built, even if the nomads built them on their own.

Relationships and Expansion

A nomad group with a large enough population can attempt to occupy multiple regions at once. Mechanically these are treated as sub-groups, although in reality the same nomads may roam across the whole occupied territory. Expanding into another region requires a successful Diplomacy roll to keep the nomad group intact as it ranges more widely. If the roll is failed the nomads must remain in their existing regions for now. The population thresholds and target numbers are:

Two regions: 60,000, TN12
    Three regions: 90,000, TN14
    Four regions: 130,000, TN16
    Five regions: 170,000, TN18
    Six regions: 220,000, TN20
    Seven regions: 280,000, TN22

Each region occupied must have a nomad population of no less than 10,000. If the number falls below that, the nomads either return to the main group or are absorbed into the local population.

Nomads must occupy contiguous regions. Water-based nomads must occupy regions with coastlines on the same sea. If a group of nomads becomes cut off (because of war, for instance), that group will start to lose population, at a rate of 1d6x1000 per round, as the nomads integrate into the local culture.

A Nomad League while no longer needing to be contiguous must maintain open communication IE no interrupted communication or transportation due to war, via a path matching the nomad's region type (land path for land nomads, naval path for naval nomads, etc.) These paths are considered interrupted if a war is occurring and cannot be circumvented or another nomadic group or settled nation takes action to disrupt nomadic communication. Due to the League's structure however a Nomad League will not begin to have it's non-central nomad groups suffer population loss until the 2nd round of disruption.

Having nomads in a region is often beneficial, but is also disruptive. For every round that a nomad group remains in a region, that region loses 1d4x1000 population which is added to the population for that nomad group. If the nomad leader takes a Diplomacy 5 action this effect will stop for the duration of his rule, but he may only use the action once per region per group.

Regions with nomads in them may also suffer a higher chance of discontent and unhappiness.

Nomads may not remain in a region permanently, and must move at least once every 5 rounds. If they do not, their population starts to settle in the region, and they lose 1d6x1000 population for every round they remain. This population is added to the settled population of the region.

Nomads may not colonise regions. If nomads settle in a region they cease to be nomads and are treated like any other region. If nomads win two battles in the same region in a row against the occupying player, they do not conquer it, but may transfer ownership of the region to another player of their choice.

Only one nomad group can be present in a region at a time. If a second group tries to enter a region which already has nomads present, they must either negotiate with them to leave or fight them.

Nomads may take and become vassals in the same way as other regions. Nomad groups are treated as equivalent to regions for the relevant calculations.

Note Currently only 3 Nomad PCs will be allowed to operate, more spots may open later as the rules evolve.

• Tychris1
    • Rain Dragon
    • Open

Last edited by QuintonBeck; 2014-12-06 at 11:32 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Hellu! I hear there are nomads?

Firstly, though. Samburke, is your turn in the Grand Ball thread for our RP if you want to respond. --Relevant posts here for your convenience--

I would like to express interest in becoming a nomad player. (This would mean abandoning Fera to an NPC fate, of course.)
    I have a few thoughts on the rules so far.

I know this is not strictly the most useful feedback, but I really like the Diplomacy rules. In particular, the competitive elements being available if necessary.

If a player occupies the region and does not wish the nomads to enter, the nomads can try to bargain or infiltrate their way in with an opposed Diplomacy roll.
    Possibly not important, but should the player who occupies the region note in their IC post the unwillingness to allow nomads onto their lands? Just as for military blockading rules.

I like the term 'League' as well.

If nomads win two battles in the same region in a row against the occupying player, they do not conquer it, but may transfer ownership of the region to another player of their choice.
    This is really cool.

EDIT - Derp
    EDIT2 - SuperDerp. Removed irrelevant question.
    Last edited by Rain Dragon; 2014-12-07 at 09:17 AM.
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Right. Okay. So... Initial thoughts on force disposition and command structure are readyish; will be writing up the concept pending sending it on shortly.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

This is shaping up nicely.

I like the new thread title.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

13. - Top - End - #13

New Challenger Approaches:

Hurosha Enters the Grand Ball!
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Nyllana OotS Avatar by Lord FullBladder, Master of Goblins!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here
    My Extended Homebrew Sig!

Currently writing a fantasy novel: The Dawn of Life!
    People willing to provide feedback are appreciated

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

What action does exploration fall under again? I found, y'know, talking to places I know about, but not discovering a region in the first place.
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2014-12-07 at 10:13 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    What action does exploration fall under again? I found, y'know, talking to place I know about, but not discovering a region in the first place.
    Still curiosity I would guess. Unless maybe it is occupied by another player/NPC, then diplo could go I guess.
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Nyllana OotS Avatar by Lord FullBladder, Master of Goblins!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here
    My Extended Homebrew Sig!

Currently writing a fantasy novel: The Dawn of Life!
    People willing to provide feedback are appreciated

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WaylanderX View Post
    Still curiosity I would guess. Unless maybe it is occupied by another player/NPC, then diplo could go I guess.
    Aye aye. Thanks much, wasn't seeing it listed there was all.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Hello,
    I am interested in joining this game if that is possible.
    Are the Nix of the Abyssian Sea available?
    Last edited by Gomez; 2014-12-07 at 01:17 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gomez View Post
    Hello,
    I am interested in joining this game if that is possible.
    Are the Nix of the Abyssian Sea available?
    I believe they are - or at least they will be as of next round (a week from now) assuming their original player doesn't reappear (which is unlikely after all this time, but has happened before). Even if he does return, however, there are also other underwater regions available for claiming.

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Aye aye. Thanks much, wasn't seeing it listed there was all.
    There is a note under the Federation rules: "exploration is always Curiosity." However it could probably do with being noted in a more obvious place too; we'll add it to the list of clarifications and corrections.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2014-12-07 at 12:57 PM.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    I believe they are - or at least they will be as of next round (a week from now) assuming their original player doesn't reappear (which is unlikely after all this time, but has happened before). Even if he does return, however, there are also other underwater regions available for claiming.
    I think I will make mine own kingdom then. Let me take a look what regions are available.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gomez View Post
    I think I will make mine own kingdom then. Let me take a look what regions are available.
    If you talk to Quinton, he can give you a slightly less blacked-out map if you want to choose from regions currently undiscovered
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Also, since technically nobody has mentioned it yet, there are a few land regions available near or just off the edges of the map if you don't have your heart set on an underwater kingdom.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Sam, did I ever respond to your last PM? My inbox says yes, my sent folder says no, and I don't remember what I actually said
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dragon View Post
    I would like to express interest in becoming a nomad player. (This would mean abandoning Fera to an NPC fate, of course.)
    While I haven't discussed this with anyone, I wonder if it might be possible to "nomadify" Fera (or some part of it), if you like playing them but are intrigued by nomads. It's something I had in mind when the rules were being discussed, and while the population increase makes it harder, if it were to happen right now then it could potentially work without too much hassle

Possibly not important, but should the player who occupies the region note in their IC post the unwillingness to allow nomads onto their lands? Just as for military blockading rules.
    That's probably a good idea.

Hurosha Enters the Grand Ball!
    It's a social dancing event, not a beat-em-up
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Given how events in this game tend to go, it'd be more accurate to say it isn't a beat-em-up yet.

Speaking of which, guys, I'm spending an action to attend the Grand Ball but probably won't be able to write up anything. (Next week is finals week, and I need to study the **** out of Multivariable Calculus because it's probably the hardest class I've ever taken with the most unforgiving professor and a paperwork error means I don't get my usual accomodations for classes with short time and lots of writing. )

Still, feel free to PM me or post here if you have mechanical business you want to do. I'll be around, just won't have the time to devote to IC posts.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Do my eyes deceive me?
    It's going to be very odd for me to be playing EMPIRE! with Gomez. :P
    Welcome, welcome of course.

While I haven't discussed this with anyone, I wonder if it might be possible to "nomadify" Fera (or some part of it), if you like playing them but are intrigued by nomads. It's something I had in mind when the rules were being discussed, and while the population increase makes it harder, if it were to happen right now then it could potentially work without too much hassle.
    I thought so as well because since it was mentioned I have been thinking about nomads and what could possibly come up and what's likely and what-not.
    As much as I do like playing Fera, I'm not interested in properly nomadifying part of it to play.

It didn't occur to me the population increase would make taking part of Fera harder. I thought it would be if anything easier as I could have chosen to take a bunch of Haljans from Fræzeid (LLC) without impacting anyone who was interested in playing as Fera too much.

Given how events in this game tend to go, it'd be more accurate to say it isn't a beat-em-up yet.

Speaking of which, guys, I'm spending an action to attend the Grand Ball but probably won't be able to write up anything. (Next week is finals week, and I need to study the **** out of Multivariable Calculus because it's probably the hardest class I've ever taken with the most unforgiving professor and a paperwork error means I don't get my usual accomodations for classes with short time and lots of writing. )

Still, feel free to PM me or post here if you have mechanical business you want to do. I'll be around, just won't have the time to devote to IC posts.
    Best of luck, Blade.

EDIT - Typo
    Last edited by Rain Dragon; 2014-12-07 at 06:00 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I thought so as well because since it was mentioned I have been thinking about nomads and what could possibly come up and what's likely and what-not.
    As much as I do like playing Fera, I'm not interested in properly nomadifying part of it to play.

It didn't occur to me the population increase would make taking part of Fera harder. I thought it would be if anything easier as I could have chosen to take a bunch of Haljans from Fræzeid (LLC) without impacting anyone who was interested in playing as Fera too much.
    My thinking in the first place was that a region could be (effectively) fully converted to nomadism, where the leadership uproots itself and then the region effectively becomes empty. At the time of course region populations were still in the tens of thousands, so the majority of the population converting to nomadism would produce a sizeable but not enormous nomad group.

With the population increase it could still work fine with nomads being rolled up as a subset of the original population, it's just a question of what becomes of the "leftovers" since that would now be the vast majority of the population; presumably they'd become a NPC. I don't have anything against NPCs in principle but they do have a tendency to get treated as either punching-bags or troop factories for PCs (depending on whether they're independent or vassals), hence why we've been trying to get rid of them. It's great if players take them over, but it doesn't happen all that often so leaving them hanging around on the offchance that a player might take them on probably isn't worth it if there are other options unless we know someone is interested.

Hence the idea that Fera could convert from settled regions to nomadism almost wholesale (ignoring the population increase) which would seem to leave everyone a winner - but if you don't like the idea, that's fine too.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2014-12-07 at 06:52 PM.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Hurosha Enters the Grand Ball Brawl!
    Let's get ready to passive-aggressively sign treaties.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

My thinking in the first place was that a region could be (effectively) fully converted to nomadism, where the leadership uproots itself and then the region effectively becomes empty. At the time of course region populations were still in the tens of thousands, so the majority of the population converting to nomadism would produce a sizeable but not enormous nomad group.

With the population increase it could still work fine with nomads being rolled up as a subset of the original population, it's just a question of what becomes of the "leftovers" since that would now be the vast majority of the population; presumably they'd become a NPC. I don't have anything against NPCs in principle but they do have a tendency to get treated as either punching-bags or troop factories for PCs (depending on whether they're independent or vassals), hence why we've been trying to get rid of them. It's great if players take them over, but it doesn't happen all that often so leaving them hanging around on the offchance that a player might take them on probably isn't worth it if there are other options unless we know someone is interested.

Hence the idea that Fera could convert from settled regions to nomadism almost wholesale (ignoring the population increase) which would seem to leave everyone a winner - but if you don't like the idea, that's fine too.
    Before the population increase, I thought that would be a thing too. Though, then nomads would leave the only empty or near empty regions currently in the game. Looking at my own nation as an example, there's only 500k population to ferry around before effectively min-maxing the army short term. Long term of course, you'd colonize things a little lower, then send a ton of resources to bump up population growth to reach the ideal.

They do, really. :/ That does make my decision über awkward.

Fera would also start immediately able to roll for 7 groups of nomads if one just uproots them pre-population increase.
    Purely hypothetically, though.

Yeah, it would a bit except for the near future of the Niskovian Empire. How do nomad vassals contribute to empireness, by the way?
    -EDIT-
    By my understanding, it looks like nomads don't contribute to settled empires at all with the current rules draft whereas settled regions can contribute to the count for a Nomadic Empire.

EDIT - Miswording
    Last edited by Rain Dragon; 2014-12-07 at 07:41 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Hellu! I hear there are nomads?

Firstly, though. Samburke, is your turn in the Grand Ball thread for our RP if you want to respond. --Relevant posts here for your convenience--
    Thought I had responded, but I'll try to get a post up sometime tonight, to answer all the current ones. Two tests due Tuesday, so trying to work out my schedule.

EDIT: I found the following dialogue in response to that last post:
    Dulari laughs. "I shall do that, and gladly! But tell me... how is the west these days! We don't see ~enough~ of you at our parties!" She stops dancing in full, sadness on her face. "I can't think of the last time I've danced with a Niskan!"

They whorled around the floor, and at the end of the dance, as they bowed, she said, "And now it's time for me to learn one of your dances, is it not?"
    Last edited by SamBurke; 2014-12-07 at 11:31 PM.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Thought I had responded, but I'll try to get a post up sometime tonight, to answer all the current ones. Two tests due Tuesday, so trying to work out my schedule.

EDIT: I found the following dialogue in response to that last post:
    Sorry, I only meant the stuff with my character.
    Take your time, I just thought you had missed it was all so mentioned.

Good luck with your tests, by the way.