New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Question Blackwing's Alignment

Blackwing was not included among a list of Neutral characters. He included much more minor characters like Jenny and Hank so I doubt he forgot about a fairly major one like Blackwing.

Is he LG, CG, CE, or LE?
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Blackwing's Alignment

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Blackwing was not included among a list of Neutral characters. He included much more minor characters like Jenny and Hank so I doubt he forgot about a fairly major one like Blackwing.

Is he LG, CG, CE, or LE?
    I like to think Blackwing is amongst the "specifically not mentioning" category, myself. Blackwing sharing V's alignment is such an easy assumption to make, it's almost intrinsic misdirection; and that being the case we'll find out Blackwing's actual alignment when it's dramatically appropriate, which will never happen if we find out in a list beforehand.

Or maybe not.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Blackwing is not a character; Blackwing is a class feature, albiet a snarky one.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    Blackwing is not a character; Blackwing is a class feature, albiet a snarky one.
    Um. I would tend to think that one of the points of the ending of DStP and a decent chunk of BRitF is that Blackwing isn't JUST a class feature but an actual character of his own right.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As near as I can tell*, Blackwing would have been True Neutral as a normal raven, and would not have changed alignment upon becoming a familiar. And his behavior in the comic is consistent enough with True Neutral for me to not dispute that.

*This does not mean I have found a rule that says so, rather that I have not found anything at all on the subject of the alignment of familiars.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I think in general Familiars are assumed to share their master's alignment, although I can't find a passage in the SRD. Blackwing's sapience is directly tied to his connection to V (although one of the 3rd edition splatbooks had rules for familiars retaining their powers after the death of their master), so I think the easiest way to think of him would be as a cross between V's personality and a typical Raven's disposition- quarelsome but playful and devoted, and very clever. Apart from playful, I'd say that fits Blackwing rather well.
    Last edited by Squark; 2014-12-08 at 02:32 PM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

You could suppose that familiars change to their master's alignment when they become familiars, but in Blackwing's case that would still leave him as TN. For now, that's my guess.
    Last edited by ORione; 2014-12-08 at 02:32 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post

Is he LG, CG, CE, or LE?
    It was not an exhaustive list. Blackwing is neutral.
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

9. - Top - End - #9

GnomePirate

I like to think of all birds as evil. "All animals are true neutral" is uncharacteristicly nuanced of D&D (there was probably a bird watcher lobby involved).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Porthos, Keltest:
    AFAIK, a familiar is a spirit of your alignment (at the time of summoning) clothed in a weak body. I was being facetious in describing BW as a class feature. If BW's alignment differed from V's, BW would experience difficulty being V's familiar. Unless and until we have see V's alignment changing, her familiar should still share alignment. Since V is still TN per WoG, BW should be TN unless we posit that BW was originally summoned when V had some other alignment. (An assumption utterly devoid of basis.)

Keltest: A familiar takes no actions of its own -- which makes BW not a strictly rules-conforming familiar. So I can see why you might treat BW as, say, an awakened raven. Since it doesn't change the answer, it kinda doesn't matter. But a CN caster would presumably have a CN familar, even with the form of a raven. Also, do not feats enable casting using a familar as origin? That doesn't work with some random awakened chipmunk, so I think it an inappropriate model.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    Porthos, Keltest:
    AFAIK, a familiar is a spirit of your alignment (at the time of summoning) clothed in a weak body. I was being facetious in describing BW as a class feature. If BW's alignment differed from V's, BW would experience difficulty being V's familiar. Unless and until we have see V's alignment changing, her familiar should still share alignment. Since V is still TN per WoG, BW should be TN unless we posit that BW was originally summoned when V had some other alignment. (An assumption utterly devoid of basis.)

Keltest: A familiar takes no actions of its own -- which makes BW not a strictly rules-conforming familiar. So I can see why you might treat BW as, say, an awakened raven. Since it doesn't change the answer, it kinda doesn't matter. But a CN caster would presumably have a CN familar, even with the form of a raven. Also, do not feats enable casting using a familar as origin? That doesn't work with some random awakened chipmunk, so I think it an inappropriate model.
    Uh, pretty sure Familiars are quite capable of acting on their own initiative (no pun intended). If they didn't, they'd be absolutely useless as scouts, since the empathic link isn't detailed enough for instructions. In the absence of instruction, most GMs rule they default to typical animal behavior and/or following their masters around, but the nuances of their behavior isn't typically described.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I think that Blackwing falls roughly on line with Vaarsuvius. Keep in mind that the list doesn't include every character, so Blackwing could be any of the nine.

Peelee’s Lotsey

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Both Nale and Z'zdtri refer to Qarr as Z's familiar (or ''your imp'') and Qarr is clearly Lawful Evil while Z is by WoG Neutral Evil. That means a familiar doesn't have to share his wizard's alignment. Then again, Qarr might not be a real familiar since he had a mission on his own and Z was just taunting V there.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Uh, pretty sure Familiars are quite capable of acting on their own initiative (no pun intended).
    Initiative? Where? I got a 23!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    I like to think of all birds as evil. "All animals are true neutral" is uncharacteristicly nuanced of D&D (there was probably a bird watcher lobby involved).
    Good and Evil require intent. Int<3 cannot form intent. As such, all animals are Neutral. Law-Chaos, I'd need to think on.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Law-Chaos, I'd need to think on.
    Same reasoning. To (attempt to) adhere to or consciously reject a code of conduct rather than simply follow your instincts requires intelligence greater than 3.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Same reasoning. To (attempt to) adhere to or consciously reject a code of conduct rather than simply follow your instincts requires intelligence greater than 3.

Grey Wolf
    Thank you sir. I was probably over thinking things. Along the lines of, "ants and bees have specific, exacting rituals and methods of communication for maintaining nests and finding food (or fighting wars and taking slaves in the ants case), which is kind of lawful."
    Last edited by Peelee; 2014-12-09 at 12:38 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Good and Evil require intent. Int<3 cannot form intent. As such, all animals are Neutral. Law-Chaos, I'd need to think on.
    Ravens are very intelligent, though.

As Blackwing acts as V's conscience sometimes, my guess is either True Neutral, or somewhat more good-ish. He overcame his love of baubles to help others, which clearly is an intentional action.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post
    Ravens are very intelligent, though.
    They are indeed. A standard raven is still under Int 3, though, as are all birds. Which was the point I was addressing.

20. - Top - End - #20

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    a typical Raven's disposition- quarelsome but playful and devoted, and very clever. Apart from playful, I'd say that fits Blackwing rather well.
    Blackwing being playful
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

True neutral characters are concerned with their own well-being and that of the group or organization which aids them. They may behave in a good manner to those that they consider friends and allies, but will only act maliciously against those who have tried to injure them in some way. For the rest, they do not care. They do not wish ill on those they do not know, but they also do not care when they hear of evil befalling them. Better for others to suffer the evil than the true neutral and his allies. If an ally is in need, the true neutral will aid him, out of genuine love or because he may be able to count on that ally a little more in the future. If someone else is in need, they will weigh the options of the potential rewards and dangers associated with the act. If an enemy is in need, they will ignore him or take advantage of his misfortune.
    Sounds like Blackwing to me.