New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default That's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on!

So, this is a bit of a quick brainstorm for everyone here. I plan on remaking the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog as a monster for a later encounter in a campaign of mine, and I've gotten some bases down, but I'm wondering if I should tweak it at all.

Base creature+Beast of Chaos+Dire+Mighty are what I've gotten so far, and I'm planning on giving it 9 HD, though maybe more, since feats are quite welcome, and he's going to be more of a lethal joke monster (but not an unbeatable one). Speaking of feats, I was thinking of getting into the Vital Strike line, as well as some Critical feats, since, as a rabbit, the only attack he gets is a bite. I don't really think charging is something he'll bother with very much, since after these templates are applied, he'll have a move speed of 80 ft, hence my consideration for Vital Strike; he's already moving more than twice as fast as the average character, so it's not like they'll really be able to get away, or catch up to him if he retreats.

I figure it would be worth adding that the party currently consists of three gestalt characters, level 7, and relatively well-optimized, if you're wondering about difficulty. Also, to make things clearer, it's 3.p with PF's rules, and I'm making all of the size changes that come from templates null and void, as I'd like him to stay the size of a hare.
    Last edited by Manly Man; 2014-12-12 at 04:42 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: That's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on!

Give him the feral template and andvance him so he gets pounce, i like that template, like a lot...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Default Re: That's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on!

I'm not in the monster-building end, so I don't know how to to tell you to actually get the needed elements, but I agree that a pounce or jump of some kind is necessary. It is very clear in the film that he is able to launch himself from ground level to attack the neck of a human fighter. That attack is also evidence of some tactical ability, since he exploits the vulnerability in the human fighter's armor. Thus, higher than average intelligence.
    I'm not being sarcastic. Speaking big and blue is just my thing.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Garktz View Post
    Give him the feral template and andvance him so he gets pounce, i like that template, like a lot...
    Unfortunately, Feral only applies to humanoids and monstrous humanoids. The monster we have here is a rabbit (a Magical Beast by now, with the other templates it already has).

Quote Originally Posted by Neli42 View Post
    I'm not in the monster-building end, so I don't know how to to tell you to actually get the needed elements, but I agree that a pounce or jump of some kind is necessary. It is very clear in the film that he is able to launch himself from ground level to attack the neck of a human fighter. That attack is also evidence of some tactical ability, since he exploits the vulnerability in the human fighter's armor. Thus, higher than average intelligence.
    And, in fact, I've got him with a higher Intelligence (at least, higher than an animal's), sporting Int 4. Smart enough to know that, even if he can bite through steel, there are spaces with soft and squishy bits if he aims right. I've been wondering about just what to give him as well to get the jumping going on him, even things like taking a level of Swordsage (it's a 3.P game, Pathfinder ruleset) to get Sudden Leap, but that seems too far off, even for such a vicious monster as him.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

This is an excellent idea, and I'd like to maybe steal it for my campaign as well?
    Some suggestions:
    - Advanced creature (+1)
    - Half fiend might also work thematically, though I'm not sure if it can work with Beast of Chaos.
    - I've been playing with mythic rules, and Mythic monsters have sort of epic/ out there powers (Such as Dual initiative-, which enables them to act another time in a round. Not just another standard action, but a full turn). These could give the bunny appropriate "unique" quality. However, the PF rules don't have a list of mythic powers, so these are left to the GM to decide, which is a case by case basis, and a bit hard to adjudicate. I can help here if needed.

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Half-Celestial Half-Fiend Half-Dragon Feral Lolth-Touched Rabbit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

I feel this template may be what you're looking for.
    Incredible avatar made by Ceika.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    This is an excellent idea, and I'd like to maybe steal it for my campaign as well?
    Some suggestions:
    - Advanced creature (+1)
    - Half fiend might also work thematically, though I'm not sure if it can work with Beast of Chaos.
    - I've been playing with mythic rules, and Mythic monsters have sort of epic/ out there powers (Such as Dual initiative-, which enables them to act another time in a round. Not just another standard action, but a full turn). These could give the bunny appropriate "unique" quality. However, the PF rules don't have a list of mythic powers, so these are left to the GM to decide, which is a case by case basis, and a bit hard to adjudicate. I can help here if needed.
    Dual Initiative sounds fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Half-Celestial Half-Fiend Half-Dragon Feral Lolth-Touched Rabbit.
    While it might fit the power, it's not thematically right; I'm just aiming to make a rabbit that mauls everything with its bite, not breath weapons and SLAs.

Quote Originally Posted by Taveena View Post
    I feel this template may be what you're looking for.
    That might just do it, though having the rabbit be quite that powerful might be a little more than I'm looking for, since I'm aiming to put some HD on it to make it a bit tougher. Need a little breathing room, y'know? I'll ask some of my other friends about it, see what they think.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

How about Human Heritage, to have it qualify for feral? I mean, you already have an abyss-warped unnatural rabbit, why not have a weird wizard with a knack for polymorphing be its great-great-great-grandfather?
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    By the way, you're more than welcome to do so.

11. - Top - End - #11

Hm. You've some decent ideas there, but I'm not sure it's quite fitting for the Rabbit of Legend. You're making him stand out a little too much, and you're giving him an uncontrolled (Whenever he's in sunlight) rage.

Rather than going for surprising amounts of strength, how about deadly dexterity? I propose the following.

Base + Mythical + Being a total of 12 HD. (This is 4 HD beforehand, due to the odd way Mythical works.) This gives you a CR 8 critter from animal HD and templating. Then give it Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus(Bite), and (Mildly DM fiat) Slashing Grace for feats, giving a total of 1d4+10 damage (Assuming stat increases go into Dexterity) with a +19 to hit, and 22 AC. With both Improved Initiative and 30 Dexterity, it's almost certain to go before any knights that walk up to make rabbit stew. If this still isn't strong enough for your tastes, add on the Advanced Template. And if you're really craving DR so that they need a holy hand grenade, toss in fiendish. Maybe add in Dazzling Display and Gory Finish to put the last touches of flavor in there.

Deadly enough to be a lethal joke, but I don't see it KOing a party of level 9+ characters. Maybe a little strong for CR 8/10 (Depending on additional templates) but certainly not as terrifying as, say, Shadows and Allips.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Now make it a rabbit, and give the party a DMPC that is multiclassing cleric and alchemist...

13. - Top - End - #13

Another idea, I suppose, would be to drop the Beast of Chaos template and give the rabbit two mythic ranks instead? Or is that a bit too much?