New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [WFRP] The Bloody Crown IV

The Bloody Crown - Continued

In that dread desert, beneath the moon’s pale gaze, dead men walk.

They haunt the shifting dunes of the breathless, windless night, brandishing weapons of bronze in mocking challenge and bitter resentment of the life they no longer possess.

And sometimes, in ghastly dry voices, like the rustling of sun-baked reeds, they whisper the one word they remember from life. The name of the one who cursed them to their existence of more than death but less than life.

They whisper the name, Nagash.

OOC

While the others returned to the Harvester's Haven, Viggo headed off to play at the Duke. He didn't have much luck plying his trade there - though some of the patrons noticed him, what he overheard about their opinion of his performance wasn't good. Disheartened, he sidled off to bed.

Festag, 13th Pflugzeit

Rising early in the morning, Adelbert led the way back into the winding streets of the Old Town. The Red Moon was still where he had seen it yesterday, looking a touch less ominous in the bright morning light. He could hear stable-hands at work in the alley that led down the side of the old clay-brick building, and the chilly proprietress greeted him at the door.

"Ah," she said, recognising Adelbert immediately. "You're looking for Herr Klammenberg." She paused, running an eye over the others with him. "What shall I tell him your business is?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2015-02-15 at 06:35 PM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown IV

Adelbert Schreiber

"Scholarly matters Mein Fraulein," said Adelbert politely. "We are men of letters... well, some of us are in any case. Do you have anywhere we might might?"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo tipped his hat at the lady, but let Adelbert do the talking. Announcing himself as a member of the Sermena Stubbs was probably unwise here.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Viggo Hirtzel

Spoiler
    Show

Viggo woke quite late and breakfasted alone at the Duke, still trying to not let last nights' uninspiring performance ruin his mood. He still couldn't quite get over yesterday evening's revelations. Imagine old Stone Face marching around with a spear that could kill a God stuffed in his pocket all this time! He thought with a wry twist to his lips. Might be that we'll bloody need it too, if Elsa is serious about us going to this Gods' deserted Nath place! that prospect made him shudder.

Viggo couldn't quite remember where the others had said they were going today, but the way he figured it, he'd earned himself a bit of free time. He spent it looking for a new set of clothes. He'd regretted not having time to collect his new outfit from Fraulein Chiara before leaving Mirino and wanted to ease that pain by finding a new outfit here in Savonne. Place as big as this must have what I'm after.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

Same as before: He's looking for a set of Best Clothes including cloak (all in bright red), boots and a Good red hat to go along with his new outfit (A la Robin Hood and Peter Pan!)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard rolled his eyes at "men of letters" but held his tongue.It may have been a fitting description for Adelbert, but it didn't really work for the rest of them.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

No Viggos

Spoiler
    Show
    "I'll ask if he's receiving guests," said the woman. "Herr Pfeiffer, wasn't it? From Altdorf"

Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    Wandering through the darkened streets in the shadow of the Rock, Viggo found his meandering path directed towards the South Market. There he found merchants selling all manner of cloth, from Sudenland wool to fine Arabyan silks. Drifting from stall to stall, he found it hard to keep his money in his purse.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can buy what you like at rulebook prices, modified by Haggle.

He'd regretted not having time to collect his new outfit from Fraulein Chiara before leaving Mirino
    I'm confused - I thought you collected that just before the festival.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

7. - Top - End - #7

BlackDragon

Viggoless

Spoiler
    Show
    "Er, yes, quite," Adelbert said, running his hand through his goatee in the manner of a refined scholar. He glanced at the others. "And associates."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Not Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    Giving Adelbert's 'associates' a last skeptical look, the woman invited them inside, into the cramped parlour Adelbert had seen last night. The sleeping gentleman with the long moustaches was gone, and the fire was cold.

At length, the woman descended the stairs again. Meeting Adelbert's eyes, she shook her head.

"Herr Klammenberg doesn't wish to be disturbed. If you want to leave a message, I can keep it for him."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

9. - Top - End - #9

BlackDragon

Un-Viggoed
    Spoiler
    Show

"I see...," Adelbert said slowly, sincerely surprised. For a scholar Klammenberg seemed remarkably incurious. If the woman had described him enough Klammenberg recognised him as Adelbert (despite his new facial hair), why would he not be curious Adelbert was operating under a different name? And if Klammenberg hadn't recognised Adelbert, surely he would intriguied who this stranger was?

"Well that is a disappointment. I do not believe I shall leave a message. Gutentag madam."

Turning, he lead the others outside. "Well, so much for that. Where now?"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Viggone

Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa shrugged. "That was your idea. If you ask me, we're better off going on our way to our... destination without alerting him to our presence here."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

11. - Top - End - #11

Viggo Hirtzel

Spoiler
    Show

Agreeing a price with a particularly stubborn trader who refused to part with the hat he wanted any cheaper Viggo couldn't help but feel the bounce in his step. Maybe it's these new boots! They are very comfortable! He felt a pang of guilt that he found his new boots a better fit than his old favourites.

He rushed back to his room at the Duke to change into his new clothes and then with nothing better to do with his day he set off in search of his friends. Taking a guess that sooner or later they'd return to the old priests house, he set off, nodding at the folk he passed on his way with a friendly smile and quick tug at the peak of his cap. Caring not a jot if anybody found his jarring scarlet clothes an eye sore or not.

OOC

Spoiler
    Show

Deducted 10gold and 10silver for his clothes and hat... all in bright red. Book prices didn't bother with Haggle.

Viggo collected his Entertainers costume but not his Best Clothes. Posts 696, 704 & 705 on this page http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...own-III/page24

Also Note: In post 704, Viggo reminisces about his old horse that was stolen. That horse was called Magnus as is his new horse! I never picked up on that, but hey ho!
    Last edited by Northern Lad; 2014-12-16 at 05:28 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Vigg0
    Spoiler
    Show
    "If he is interested in seeing us, let him know we'll be at the Haven for a few more days." Ludo said, without much hope, and followed Adelbert out.

---

"I'd like to speak to somebody at the Jeweller's Guild." Ludo said, tapping the folded paper in his pocket. "They might know what this means, apparently they worked with the dwarves." He cast around, looking for somebody who looked acquainted with jewellery.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo will begin his path to the jewellers by making a Gossip test for their location, and if that fails going and looking around in the more high-class areas near the temple.

Gossip: (1d100)[28] vs 47
    Fate re-roll: (1d100)[51]

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Viggoless

Spoiler
    Show
    The Guild of Jewellers and Mineworkers was easy to find. Their guildhouse was one of the oldest and largest buildings in the Rockshadow district, with guards in clean chainmail leaning on heavy halberds outside the doors. An elaborate coat of arms in the Old World style hung overhead; it showed lionesses' heads and golden orbs against a quartered purple field.

As the party approached, one of the guards stepped forwards. He had clearly seen Sieghard coming some distance away.

"No weapons inside the guildhouse, please," he said. "If you want to go in, you have to leave them at the door."

Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    Heading north around the castle walls, Viggo made his way back to the Old Town and Heironymus' house. Knocking, he roused the priest, who irritably told him that the others had not been there since yesterday. Clearly lacking patience for being treated as a talking signpost, he quickly shut the door on Viggo again.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Vig-out
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo had nearly forgotten he was visibly armed now. He pulled Al'Haik's Arabyan sword from his belt, and laid it on the ground by the door, before divesting himself of his dagger and sling. He pointed at the pile of weapons and looked sternly at Stoutheart.

"Guard."

Stoutheart flicked a fly away with his ear.

"Guard."

Stoutheart didn't move. Ludo decided to take that as assent. "Good boy."

That done, he stood and waited for his companions to follow.

15. - Top - End - #15

BlackDragon

Unviggoed

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert glanced doubtfully at Stoutheart. He actually rather liked the animal (who was far more likeable than Manfred) but he had suspicions about his skill at guarding. Perhaps it would have been better to bring Kaja. With a sigh he removed his shortsword and left it beside Ludo's weapons.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Two and a half men and a woman and a dog

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard placed his weapons in the growing pile and followed the others inside.

17. - Top - End - #17

Viggo Hirtzel

Spoiler
    Show

With an exaggerated sigh at the tolerance of old men, Viggo set off in search of the Harvesters Haven. Grumpy old git could have invited me in for... Thinking about it Viggo was rather relieved that he didn't have to wait in the dusty book filled room under the scrutiny of the priests two pet owls. At least at the Harvester I might be able to make a coin or two whilst I wait for them to turn up.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

No Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa likewise relinquished her weapons; in any case, they served more to convey a don't-mess-with-me message than anything else.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

ViggNo

Spoiler
    Show
    The two guards looked down at Stoutheart guarding the pile of weapons with skeptical expressions. They weren't about to disrupt their own entertainment in watching the little dog pull guard duty, though, and waved the others through.

Inside was a narrow entrance hall, with doors off to either side. Oil lamps hung from the walls, and carpets and tapestries with geometric designs reinforced the impression of wealth.

There was no-one in sight. Hearing a faint scritching noise through the door to his left, Adelbert cracked it open. On the other side was a small room, in which a small woman sat a small desk in the small shaft of sunlight that was entering through the window. She looked up in alarm at the sudden appearance of strangers in the doorway, knocking over the inkwell she had been working with.

"Ach - damn - sorry," she said, jumping up and grabbing for a rag to soak up the spreading black spill. In a couple of seconds she had undone most of the damage. "Is - is there something I can help you with?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Viggo Mortisen't here
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo rushed forward to help the woman with her spill, managing to make some small positive contribution to the cleanup. He smiled, taking in the woman's details- some kind of scribe?- and began his spiel.

"Good morning, Ma'am. I was told that this would be the place to come if we wanted to find someone who spoke Khazalid."

21. - Top - End - #21

BlackDragon

Viggan't

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert winced in sympathy at the ink spill and would have moved to help if Ludo hadn't beaten him to it. "My apologies for startling you Fraulein. I am a scribe myself."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Viggohome

Spoiler
    Show
    "It's alright," said the woman, wringing the last dregs of ink out of her sleeve. She seemed a little disconcerted to have more than one offer of help at once. "It's fine. I'm sorry, I'm Katia. Are you - do you have business with the Guild?"

She was short, about a head shorter than Elsa. Her dark hair was cut in a sharp line just above her shoulders, and her accent and complexion made her origins difficult to place.

"You wanted someone who... speaks the dwarf tongue," she repeated, collecting herself. "Like a dwarf? They've all gone, I'm afraid."

"Some of the mineworkers know the dwarfish mine-sign, though. What did you want a translator for?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Viggy Pudding
    Spoiler
    Show
    "We've got a rune that needs translating." Ludo said, pulling the note from his pocket. "And we were told a few people here might be able to help. I understand that you used to work with the dwarves, so even if nobody here is fluent, there might be a better chance."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Vi won't go until we've got some.

Spoiler
    Show
    "I'm... not sure who might be able to read this," said Katia, looking down at the sign on the paper. "Just one letter?"

"I can ask Guildmaster Gisela. Who should I say is asking?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

25. - Top - End - #25

BlackDragon

Vi vi fo fum

Spoiler
    Show
    "A party of interested scholars," Adelbert replied in measured tones. "We are new in town and I do not think our name would mean anything to the guildmaster."

After his brush off by Klammenburg Adelbert was feeling waspish.
    Last edited by RossN; 2014-12-18 at 07:56 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I'm out of Viggo puns

Spoiler
    Show
    "Well then," said the woman, not seeming troubled by this, "would you like to come with me and make your introductions yourself? It would save a lot of walking."

Leaving the small room where she had been writing, she led them up a narrow flight of stairs to a much grander door. Hesitating at the threshold, she knocked so quietly that Elsa doubted anyone inside would have heard.

"Enter," came a voice from inside - clearly belonging to someone with incredible hearing. Very gingerly, Katia pushed open the door and stuck her head round the corner.

"Some visitors here to see you, madame," she said.

"Show them in," came an equally imperious reply. Pushing the door fully open, Katia motioned hurriedly for the others to step through.

Inside was a well-appointed chamber, with sunlight slanting in through two large glazed windows in the north wall. There were an assortment of dark wooden chairs, a broad table, and a woman sitting behind it, surrounded by letters and ledgers in orderly stacks. An anaemic-looking man with a nose like a knife and eyes screwed up in a perpetual squint perched on a chair in the corner, a long quill hovering over a half-written page.

Guildmaster Gisela was a tall woman in her later years. What could be seen of her hair - she kept most of it under a green silk headscarf - was iron grey, and her eyes were a similar colour. They regarded the newcomers now with an inscrutable air.

"Good morning," she greeted them. "I don't believe we've met."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

27. - Top - End - #27

BlackDragon

Also out of Viggo puns

Spoiler
    Show
    "We have not madam," agreed Adelbert. "We are scholars from the Empire. I am Hans Pfeiffer, late of Altdorf. My companions and I were hoping you could translate a dwarf rune for us. I understand your guild had dealings with the dwarfs in the past?"

Adelbert resisted the urge to adopt an imperious tone himself but managed to keep his face and speech courteous.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Lightweights, I could Viggo all night.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo raised an eyebrow at "Hans Pfeiffer" - because 'Beatrix' worked out so well for us- but had the common sense not to argue. He did bow a little at the imperious guilder, though.

"If you could be so kind," he added.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Oh no Ludon't

Spoiler
    Show
    Gisela's face soured when Adelbert mentioned dwarfs.

"In the past, we did," she said, icily. "That was before they decided to take offence at the shape of the prince's ears and left." She tilted her head back, looking hard at Adelbert.

"Well," she said, impatiently. "What is it? This rune of yours, show it to me."

When shown Ludo's copy, the guildmaster squinted at it as if it had done her some personal wrong.

"This isn't part of their phonetic alphabet," she said, at last. "Katia, please fetch me Corvo's book."

Katia scurried off, returning shortly afterwards with a slightly dog-eared book in her hands. Taking it without a word, Gisela leafed through it as if she knew what she was looking for.

"There," she said, setting the book down and referring back to Ludo's scrap of parchment. "Dammaz. It literally translates as "grudge"."

She paused, the meaning of the word sinking in.

"Did a dwarf give this to you?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

No Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    "Did a dwarf give this to you?"

"No," said Elsa, seeing no point in elaborating further. "Why do you ask?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing: