The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown IV

Adelbert and Ludo

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert was slightly more forgiving of Kaja this morning, feeling he had been a little harsh on him, besides which he was genuinely fond of his apprentice. "It isn't what we should have done, or what I'd have done but you clearly used your brain Kaja. Keep doing that. Now if you finish the lessons I've set you early you can go out and play. I'll back this evening."

Accompaning Ludo to the authoress Adelbert rehearsed questions to ask Lena. He was unprepared to find someone so young though, and it took a moment to recover.

"I undersetand Frau Knopf," Adelbert said, handing his sword over to Axel. "One can't be too careful. I am a scribe myself you know, from the Empire and it is always good to meet another writer. We were hoping you could help with a few matters."

Stepping inside he continued to make pleasant small talk. "I found your book most informative about this remarkable town. Are you a Savonnite by birth yourself?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert will ask about:

• Gilbertus - Gossip roll (1d100)[52] vs. 36
    • The princes advisors (who might have been involved in the Illuminated Circle). - Gossip roll (1d100)[38] vs. 36
    • Anything she knows of the two ruined Chaos forts. - Gossip roll (1d100)[17] vs. 36
    • If she had any first hand documents used in writing her work. - Gossip roll (1d100)[20] vs. 36

Fortune Point reroll if needed: (1d100)[8] vs. 36

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

The book was fascinating. Making a note to have both Adelbert and Al'Khansr look it over later, Ludo was still ruminating on it as he headed out to Knopfs.

Ludo And Adelbert
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo happily handed off both his scimitar and his sling to Axel, before following them into the house.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo can Assist those gossip rolls, he'll also throw a Charm into the mix vs 47:(1d100)[57]. Bit busy now so no time for a longer post.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Thank you," said Elsa, accepting the journal from Ludo.

Oh, it's in Classical. Wonderful, she thought with distaste, wishing she had been more diligent in her study of the language instead of dismissing it as useless.

She was not too keen on staying long in Savonne. They had leads that pointed all over the place and fairly little time to investigate them. Then again, perhaps staying here an additional day or two might allow them to narrow down their search and save time, but Elsa was not by nature a patient or far-sighted person.

The next morning, at a table of the inn, Elsa studied the journal, for once deciding to remain entirely sober. Her progress was maddeningly slow, and at times she felt as if she were re-learning Classical from scratch. More than once she was tempted to hand over the damn thing to the innkeeper as fuel for his fire, but sheer stubbornness kept her from giving up. The later entries of the journal left her somewhat troubled.

Elsa was almost convinced the book they were looking for had once been in Nath, though there was no way to be sure it was still there. She wondered if the planned second tome of the journal existed at all.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    Griswold still seemed suspicious of the newcomers, and Viggo's reassuring smile and vigorous nodding didn't seem to be having the desired effect. Still, when Sieghard mentioned the prospect of a drink, it seemed to pique the beggar's interest. He ran the tip of his tongue across his cracked lips.

"Got any shade?" he asked. "Just a pinch. I'll tell you whatever you want."

Leading him on without committing himself to any further promises, Sieghard began to question him about the library.

"Who told you that?" demanded Griswold, suddenly cagey again. "People telling stories. I don't know nuthin'."

Another hint towards the offer of some kind of intoxicant stripped away this layer of reticence.

"It's a long story," said the drunk, looking shiftily left and right. "I can't tell it lyin' here."

Heaving himself upright and wrapping his blanket around his shoulders like a particularly muddy and unpleasant quote, he led the two of them a little way towards the waterfront, where he sat on a low wall, out of the way of passing pedestrians. Sieghard suspected he was just leading them closer to his nearest watering-hole.

"I saw it, aye. A long time ago. Didn't live here then. Didn't live like this." A tinge of bitterness entered his voice. "My brother and me, we had a croft in the Vale. Kept sheep, a few goats. No-one bothered us and we didn't bother no-one either."

He paused, as if struggling with the memories.

"It was Geheimnisnacht, I remember that. Morrslieb was riding so low you could see it in the daylight - but not for long. This storm brewed up out of the Karst, black as ink. One of the lambs had wandered off, and Dirk - that's my brother - he was insisting we ought to find it before the wolves did. Headed out south, right to the head of the valley."

"The storm was comin' in, and the night was comin' on. I told him we ought to turn back when the rain started, but he wouldn't have it. Kept talking about the poor beast being caught out in it same as us - he was always a bit soft in here." He thumped his hand against his chest, over his heart. "I remember... there was thunder and lightning, strange colours like I'd never seen, but he kept going. Laughing and saying there was no reason for two grown men to be 'fraid of the weather."

Griswold furrowed his brow and grimaced, as if dredging up the memories was a physical strain.

"We'd... we'd just about reached what you'd call the edge of the proper Karst when we caught sight of it. A great stone house on one of the crags, with a tower like a lord's castle. Dirk said we should... shelter inside, like, said the lamb we was looking for might've had the same idea. I didn't remember never seeing that tower there in daylight, though."

"The two of us... we climbed up there, just to have a look. Place looked... ruined, like. Empty and dark, except Dirk thought... thought he saw a light in the window. There was a big door, all... strange, like, and we knocked but we got no answer."

"It was raining cats and dogs, and Dirk was saying that even if... even if our lamb hadn't found it, we ought to get inside and out of the weather. I didn't like it, still, and he got... frustrated. Said if I wanted to catch my death I could stay outside for all he cared." He swallowed. "It wasn't like 'im, that's what I remember. With the wind howling, and the thunder - it played on your nerves, but he were always so kind before. I suppose it got to me, too... I didn't never think of myself as a coward, before then. But just looking at them doors, I got scared."

"I... went and found a hollow, like, in the rock. Waited 'til morning. Dirk, he went inside." Griswold swallowed again, licking his parched lips. "When mornin' came, I climbed back up to see if he was alright... and... and..."

Griswold was looking down at his hands, a strange silence weighing down his tongue.

"It was gone. The whole place. Like it had never been there." He stopped, the words coming in faltering bursts. "I thought, maybe I'd got turned around, in the dark and the storm... but I got up as high as I could, and there was nothing. Nothing like it for leagues around. It was just vanished."

"I never saw Dirk no more after that. Nor the lamb. Sold the flock, sold the house. Came here." For the first time since the story had started, he looked up, making fleeting eye contact with Sieghard. "That's my story. Hope it's worth something to you, 'cos I've never been able to make sense of it."

When Sieghard pressed him for proof, he became briefly angry, although not angry enough to confront the stronger, younger, armed men he was talking to. "Proof? What proof d'you want? Look at me!" He held up his shaking hands. "This is all the proof I've got."

Lowering his head, his voice died back to a mutter. "You want to go back to the Vale, maybe you can see the old house, what's left of it. I've got nothing more for you here."

When asked about locating the place on a map, he became at once thoughtful and fearful. Scratching his straggly beard, he looked rapidly from Sieghard to Viggo, eyes flicking about as if in search of some anticipated threat.

"Maybe... maybe I could. But there's nothing there. I went back there, every day for a - for a month, at least. Nothing to see but bare rock, like the place was never even built."

Finally, he became evasive when Sieghard changed the subject to the topic of what he had stolen.

"Just... nothing. Just a little shade." He glanced furtively up at Sieghard again. "You don't have any, do you?"

Adelbert & Ludo

Spoiler
    Show
    "I found your book most informative about this remarkable town. Are you a Savonnite by birth yourself?"
    "Yes!" said Knopf, enthusiastically. "I mean, yes. My grandfather came here from some place called... Steingart, I think? But the family's been in Savonne for three generations."

Pulling up some battered furniture, she implored Adelbert and Ludo to have a seat, she scuttled off in search of some token of hospitality to offer them. In the end she surfaced with half of a cold meat pie.

"It's a great place, isn't it? So much history! So much culture!" Her effusive praise was somewhat muffled by the fact that she was speaking through a mouthful of pie. "You know, there are more languages spoken in Savonne than in all of Averheim? I mean, probably."

Nodding along with the general flow of her enthusiasm, Adelbert began to slip his questions into the conversation. About Gilbertus and the founding members of the Order, he learned no more than what she'd written in her book. About the Karst forts, however, she mentioned something she hadn't put to paper.

"Oh yes, they've always been... interesting," she said, finishing her slice of pie. "Now and again someone says they ought to be brought back into service, to open up the old paths through the Karst. Half the trade in the Reaches runs between Savonne and Putbad, you know." She smiled. "That's why the river traders don't like it. Any time someone comes forward with the idea, they squash it as quick as they can. They spread all sorts of ludicrous stories too, just to keep people away... orcs and basilisks and daemons, whatever takes their fancy."

She paused, becoming briefly more reflective. "The old duke was talking about it, for a while. But that was before he, um... fell ill."

Moving on to quizzing her about her sources, Adelbert tried to dig up where she'd got her information.

"Well, I just asked people," she said. "People don't write things down so much in these parts, but they remember the stories - stories their grandparents told them, stories their grandparents told them." She smiled brightly. "A lot of old people like having someone to talk to. I just went round asking questions until I started to get more of a complete picture."

"Of course, the priests at the temple were very helpful too. The priest of Verena, Father Heironymus, he's got such a memory for anything on paper." She held up her hands to either side of her head. "He's like a big... brain, full of... stuff."

Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    From what Elsa could tell from the spidery scrawl of the writer's atrocious handwriting, the book Ludo had given her was the journal of some petty hedge wizard. The early pages quickly attenuated her interest, full of notes about pedestrian experiments and underwhelming feats of magic. It appeared to have taken the author years of idiosyncratic 'research' to match what she herself had exceeded in her first six months at the Bright College.

She was about to put it down when an excited stretch of scribbling caught her eye.

...Magda says we should bring it to the duke. Foolish woman! She cannot see past her next three meals. I will bring my work to him when I have had due time to unlock its secrets. How much more will he reward me for bringing him the secret of eternal youth than for a bundle of rotten parchment?

I am convinced these are Gilbertus' own writings. The brutes must have missed them when they tore down his house, being buried as they were. He writes in the old tongue, of which I have some passing knowledge, but there are also symbols the likes of which I have never seen. There must be some secret magic in their design. I will decipher it!

Turning over the following pages, Elsa felt her pulse quicken as she saw the man's scratchings take on a familiar form. Copied down on the dog-eared pages of the journal were columns of strange symbols set into looping cartouches - symbols that looked almost exactly like the carvings she had seen on the pillars of Kheneb-Ptra-Urush.

Unable to wait until she had finished wading through the writer's experimental ramblings, she skipped to the end.

...Drogo says there are men here who have come from the city. They are the duke's soldiers, I am sure of it. Magda could not keep her mouth shut, curse her. My research is not yet complete! How can I offer him what I have not yet mastered?

They are coming to the house. I cannot run. I must impress on them the importance of my work.

The account ended abruptly there.
    Last edited by LCP; 2015-02-20 at 12:02 PM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard listened to the story with growing interest. He was actually beginning to believe the drunk's ramblings, which was worrying in a way.

"You don't suppose the Library only appears on Geheimnisnacht, do you?" he asked Viggo. "Do you think we ought to have him repeat what he just told us to the others? See if they have any questions for him? I'd at least like to get him to point out the place on the map Schreiber got."

"Just... nothing. Just a little shade." He glanced furtively up at Sieghard again. "You don't have any, do you?"

"If you stole some, why would you need any from me?" He pulled a crown from his purse and tossed it on the ground in front of Griswold as though it was nothing. "Let's try that again. What did you steal? Show it to me. I'm not gonna call the guard or go running to whoever you stole it from, but if I'm going to be dealing with you, I want to know what I'm getting into."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2015-02-15 at 10:54 PM.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

Adelbert & Ludo

Spoiler
    Show
    Somewhat to his surprise Adelbert was finding Lena charming and after a moment's hesitation accepted a slice of meat pie, though he waited till he had swallowed before speaking.

"Thank you Frau Knopf... may I call you Lena? I live in Mirino in Last Water myself and Savonne is certainly much bigger and more cultured, though I could tell you what's going on there if you are interested?"

He took another bite of his slice and again swallowed before speaking. "Do you know anything about Ravenskird? It is on the same river trade system through Savonne right?"

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    Griswold stared at the gold crown as if hypnotised, his eyes boggling.

"Let's try that again. What did you steal? Show it to me. I'm not gonna call the guard or go running to whoever you stole it from, but if I'm going to be dealing with you, I want to know what I'm getting into."
    "I... show it to you?" he whined. "I told you, it was just a little of the red stuff. I can't show it to you, I took it, didn't I? It's all used up."

Very gradually, as if fearful of a blow, he reached for the coin with a shaking hand.

Adelbert & Ludo

Spoiler
    Show
    "That's right," said Lena, nodding. "Last stop on the Azril, before you get into the marshes. Not a big place, but a lot of the riverboats run down to there to take on cargo." A frown crossed her face. "Not always legal cargo either. There's a lot of smuggling that goes on, upstriver and down. A lot of the river crews think they're a law unto themselves."
    Last edited by LCP; 2015-02-16 at 07:26 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

8. - Top - End - #278
    Bugbear in the Playground

Aubentag, 15th Pflugzeit

Sieghard & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show

Timesplit - Hunting a Drunk

Spoiler
    Show

"It's not just Greenapple and Klammenberg too," he added after a pause. "Fassbender as well. You're lucky she didn't turn the lot of us into statues like she did to Painford's old mayor after you opened your mouth about Sforza."
    Viggo had the good graces to look sheepish at Sieghard's admonishment, At least this time he's not trying to wrench my bloody arm off! Viggos' mouth curled sourly, He's right too I suppose! "I'm sorry Sieghard, I'm not used to keeping secrets and talking and blabbing my mouth off is sort of... my trade.. you understand?" The young minstrel took a deep breath, admitting he was wrong had always been a struggle for Viggo. "But I will do my very best in future to keep my lips from flapping at the wrong moment, the last thing I want is this little job to turn sour on account of me!"

"You don't suppose the Library only appears on Geheimnisnacht, do you?" he asked Viggo. "Do you think we ought to have him repeat what he just told us to the others? See if they have any questions for him? I'd at least like to get him to point out the place on the map Schreiber got."
    Viggo had listened to Griswalds story, enthralled as the drunks tale of woe unfolded. Trusting the word of a man in this dilapidated state might seem rash, but something about the mans story rang true. "Could be, could be." He answered Sieghards question. "What better night for it to appear than that? With the date known, all we need now is the place. You're right, we should have him scratch up a map with Adelbert."

Turning back to the drunk Viggo did his best to maintain eye contact with Griswald, which was difficult as he seemed fixated on Sieghards gold coin. "Just think how much of the red stuff that can buy you eh?" He said with a friendly grin, nodding down at the coin. "What say you, come with me and my friend here, we have you put a big x on my other friends map and then we'll see about putting some food and ale into you as yet another payment?" Viggo rubbed his hands together. "Not a bad day's earnings that."

OOC

Spoiler
    Show

Charm Test:
    FEL 43 - (1d100)[35]
    Re-Roll - (1d100)[93]

Last edited by Northern Lad; 2015-02-16 at 08:52 AM.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

Adelbert & Ludo

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert looked thoughtful and nodded. "Thank you Lena you've been very helpful," he smiled and added "and nice too. I don't know if you'd be interested in keeping up a correspondence about what's happening in Savonne? I'd be happy to hear from you all the way down in Last Water and of course I'll write you anything that seems interesting."

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    "And a bath." he added. "Not going to bring him to the others without cleaning him up a bit first."

Spoiler
    Show
    "Just think how much of the red stuff that can buy you eh?"

By the book prices? 1/35th of a dose. I get the feeling there's a houserule in place for that - weaker stuff for cheaper or something like that - otherwise the poor of Savonne would have to be pretty wealthy to have such an addiction.

Of course, Sieghard only ever promised a drink and a crown is enough for quite a few of those.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    Griswold looked suspicious at the mention of 'other friends', but the mention of food - and perhaps more importantly drink - seemed irresistable. Mumbling agreement in a rather incoherent fashion, he acquiesced to follow them wherever they might take him.

Adelbert & Ludo

Spoiler
    Show
    Lena seemed a little surprised by Adelbert's suggestion, but didn't let it throw her. "I didn't think anything interesting happened in Last Water," she said. Before Adelbert could answer she grinned and said "Joking! Just joking. It's a joke."

She paused, thinking for a moment. "You want to know what's going on here? Like a... letter of news?" She scratched her head. "I could write it, but I don't know how I'd get it to you. I don't think I know anyone who does a regular run to Last Water from here." She paused again. "I'm sure I could ask, though. Maybe someone in Manann's Keep could pass it on?"

Opening up an old cabinet, she produced a sheaf of hand-printed notices. "Before you go," she asked, "could you take some of these?" She handed them over. "It's a project of mine. If you could put them up just anywhere, it'd be a great help." She paused, thinking. "I suppose you'd need some nails, though. And a hammer. Hang on, I have those somewhere."

Some more searching, and shouting to Axel to ask where he'd put them, produced the items in question. The delay gave Adelbert time to read the large heading at the top of the first sheet:

REWARD

for anyone who can provide information about the flow of CRIMSON SHADE into our fair city.

The ink was a little patchy from where the woodblock had been cut unevenly, but it looked as if she'd printed a good dozen copies in this sample at least.

"Will you give my regards to Talibah?" said Lena, returning with the hammer. "It was so good of her to keep that book on the shelves. I haven't seen her in far too long."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

Adelbert & Ludo

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert laughed at Lena's joke. "I can assure you that nothing does happen in Last Water, but it should I will let you know if that changes. I operate a scribes business in Herr Krucke's loft should you ever be down that way - or at least where to send the letter too. As for how, well, I'll give that some thought."

He accepted the printings though secretly he wondered how effective her campaign would be - he doubted more than one in ten in this town could read. Still he'd do his best.

Taking his leave he turned to Ludo: "We can nail up these in the Old Town, North Market and the Docks - especially since I am heading to the Docks anyway to ask about boats. Do you want to come, perhaps we still might be able to do something about Greenapple and Klammenburg's tooth?"

13. - Top - End - #283

Sieghard & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show

"That's the spirit my good chap!" Viggo exclaimed enthusiastically, in contrast to Griswalds mumbles. "Lets get you back to The Haven. A bath, an ale and a meal await!" Viggo had another plan in mind too but, considering Sieghards' earlier warning, he decided to wait for the right moment. Besides, I'll need somewhere a bit quieter than the middle of the sodding docks to try it!

Viggo set off at a brisk pace towards the inn, whistling a merry tune as he did so, all the while flashing his smile at any pretty girls who happened to cross their path.
    Last edited by Northern Lad; 2015-02-17 at 09:39 AM.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard, Viggo and Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa was just about getting ready to go when she saw Sieghard and Viggo come back into the inn. With them they had a bedraggled-looking beggar with red-stained gums, a matted beard and a nose full of broken veins.

While Sieghard said hello to Elsa, Viggo paid for their guest to be fed, watered and bathed. The innkeeper looked extremely wary about the whole business, but wasn't about the turn down good coin. Sitting the now less pungent Griswold down in a corner of the inn, Viggo took the opportunity to try out the old hypnotist's tricks he had learned in the show. Lazily spinning a coin through his fingers, he was delighted to see that it seemed to be working - although perhaps Griswold was just fixated on the sight of money.

As far as he could tell from the man's quasi-mesmerised answers, Griswold had no intention of deceiving them. He was a little uncertain of his ability to correctly pinpoint the location on a map, but that was only the product of illiteracy and a memory addled by long abuse of intoxicants.

The date of his tale was one detail about which he remained adamant, no matter how Viggo probed in his soothing voice. Whether the Library always appeared on that date, he could not say - he only knew he had seen it the once, and then it had vanished.

Adelbert & Ludo

Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo excused himself, saying he had a few more questions to ask of Al-Khansa. Seeming surprisingly eager to get away, the halfling headed off at speed towards the Old Town.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    LeSwordfish, you've had the description of Al-Khansa and her shop - if you want to give me your own opening for this scene we can jump right in.

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking the opportunity to nail up a few of Lena's flyers anywhere where it looked like a burly dock-worker wouldn't object, Adelbert headed in the general direction of the waterfront, seeking any news of boats going south.

Most of the people he spoke to were busy with one variety or another of manual labour, and had little time for a bookish-looking man clutching a bundle of papers under his arm. The impression he got, however, was that there were at least two riverboats headed south tomorrow - and while he couldn't find their captains, it seemed from his enquiries that just turning up with a few schillings to pay their way would be enough to secure them passage with most crews.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gossip for Adelbert, then? (1d100)[65]
    Last edited by LCP; 2015-02-17 at 04:24 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    "We found Ludo's drunk" Sieghard told Elsa while Griswold was preoccupied with his bath. "If what he says is true - and strange as it is, I believe him - Then there's little hope of us finding the Lost Library before Sforza wants us back in Mirino. He said he and his brother stumbled across it years back on Geheimnisnacht. His brother went in, he didn't. The next morning he went to find his brother and the place was gone. My guess is it only appears on that night. It's not something he knew one way or another and maybe I'm wrong, but if I'm not and the book is in there, Sforza will have to wait."

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    After he'd finished hanging up bills Adelbert decided he might try a little sleuthing about this Crimson Shade business. It seemed blindingly obvious the drug would enter via the docks given Savonne was a river port. He made a few discrete enquiries...

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d100)[80] vs 36
    Fortune Point re-roll (if needed): (1d100)[69] vs 36

17. - Top - End - #287

Elsa, Sieghard and Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa watched the scene unfold first with puzzlement, then with growing interest. She never knew Viggo was capable of hypnosis. Clearly the bard had quite a wealth of skills that were useful about every decade or two.

"Pretty impressive, Viggo," she admitted. "Is that how you got a pretty girl in your bed?"

""It's not something he knew one way or another and maybe I'm wrong, but if I'm not and the book is in there, Sforza will have to wait."
    "I won't keep him waiting," said Elsa in a firm but low voice. "This is useful knowledge for later, but right now, I see no reason to believe the book is there." Sardonically, she added: "And if it turns out the people of Kheneb-Ptra-Urush did borrow it from the Library centuries ago, I refuse to be the one paying the late fees for returning it."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know if borrowing books from the library was a thing in the 16th century, but it's a joke I needed to make.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard raised an eyebrow. "If you don't think it's in the Lost Library, where do you think it is?"

Spoiler
    Show
    For someone educated from a wealthy background? It might be a thing, though it would be a private library - In Elsa's case, likely belonging to the college of magic, and not a public one like what would come to mind in a modern context. No clue about the late fees bit, but I'm doubtful on that.

For someone like Sieghard though? He wouldn't even realize that was meant as a joke. Right over his head.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2015-02-18 at 01:26 AM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tapping the spine of his new book, Ludo walked into Al-Khansa's and didn't bother to browse, headed straight for the desk.

"Good morning!" he said cheerfully. "You work as a book-binder, right? How much would it cost to get some pages seperated and stay legible?"

He laid the classical tome on the counter. "In addition... how much could I get for this?"

20. - Top - End - #290

Sieghard, Elsa & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    "Pretty impressive, Viggo," she admitted. "Is that how you got a pretty girl in your bed?"
    Viggo put on a mock scowl and pushed his tongue out in Elsa's direction, "If you don't watch it I'll have you clucking like a chicken every time somebody offers you a drink!" He answered with a sly wink. It was the first time he'd ever tried Old Granny Cilie's trick unsupervised and he felt rather proud of his success. Of course Granny used to do it to folks so that she could have a quick peek in their pockets, but no reason to tell them that! "Just one of my many many marvels!" He said instead with a cheeky grin and grandiose aplomb. "Griswold is telling the truth at least. All we need now is Adelbert and his map."

When Sieghard finished, Viggo nodded emphatically. "What are you saying Elsa?! Everything we've heard so far points to it being in The Lost Library doesn't it?" An uncomfortable feeling settled in the pit of his stomach. "You're not going to have us picnicking in Nath still are you?"

21. - Top - End - #291

Elsa, Sieghard and Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    "What are you saying Elsa?! Everything we've heard so far points to it being in The Lost Library doesn't it?"

"Perhaps you've heard things I haven't," Elsa allowed. "What with the splitting off and asking a whole bunch of people, I'm not sure I have the whole picture."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

22. - Top - End - #292

Elsa, Sieghard and Viggo

Spoiler
    Show

Viggo stared incredulously at Elsa. "It was in the books.." Viggo mimed the flapping of pages over to help convey his meaning "You know... those books that Ludo and Adelbert.." He paused for a moment considering. "And I thought you.. have been reading?" He looked to Sieghard for help, "From Father Heironymus? Those books?"

Viggo began counting off fingers as he tried to remember the tale as he'd put it together in his own mind. "Arabayn wizards in Nath, kill themselves. Probably because of the sodding book. Then that... Gilbertrius.. chap ends up with it down in Ravenskird. Remember? Nice priest, turns into a right mean bast..." Viggo blushed violently, he coughed and continued. "Probably the books fault again that. Gilpertus, ends up getting into a nasty argument with these Illuminated Buggers who live in the Library. And Bang!" Viggo clapped his hands together. "They take possession of the book and end up vanishing themselves so that they can only be found by old drunk shepherds on Feastday!"

He took a deep breath, shyly looking to his his elders. "That's right isn't it? I didn't miss anything?"

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo

Spoiler
    Show
    Al-Khansa frowned and looked down at the book. "You want to have it restored, and then sell it?" she asked,seeming puzzled. "Why not just sell it as it is?"

Picking it up, she turned it over, examining the binding and peeling back some of the pages. She shook her head. "This is yours? You ought to take better care of your books." She put it down. "I would need to re-bind it. There is water damage here. Some of the pages, I can't tell if they would come apart without destroying the text." She shrugged. "It would be worth a try. But no guarantees."

She looked back at Ludo. "Did you find Lena alright?"

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert had little success hunting for the supply of Crimson Shade. People seemed unusually suspicious about him asking. Some of the stevedores turned him bluntly away, some passing traders avowed that they wouldn't touch the stuff. Asking one of the red-toothed beggars only resulted in endless pleading that Adelbert should give the man any that he had on him.

"Why're you asking?" said a rangy woman he had accosted getting into a shore-boat. She had a look to her that reminded him of the River Strigany, back north in the Empire. "You working for the elf?"

He assured her she wasn't, but she didn't seem to believe him. Muttering something under her breath in the local dialect, she rowed out into the stream.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I'd be hoping to read it first." Ludo said frankly. He didn't really buy books: was it somehow taboo to admit that you'd only read them once? "We met her fine. She seems nice. Asked us to put up some posters."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wonder if she's trying to play down the price of this: Perception test for, like, Scrutiny, vs 48: (1d100)[10]

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo

Spoiler
    Show
    "Her Crimson Shade campaign?" asked the bookseller, only mildly interested. "Don't let her make you work for free."

She turned the book over again in her hands. "So you want it fixed, but you don't want to keep hold of it," she said. "It would be a lot of work to repair. I'll give you two crowns for the book as it is, and you can come back to read it when it's done."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nice Scrutiny check - although considering the context (gauging the true value of an object), I think Evaluate is more appropriate. Either way, Ludo reckons that even considering its poor condition and the cost of labour to restore it, the starting price should be more like ten crowns. Take a Haggle check to assert this; on a success, you sell it for 10 crowns (+1 crown per DOS). If you fail then you sell it for 10 crowns - 1 crown per DOF. Unless you take the check you'll have to accept the two crown price.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

Adelbert Schreiber

Spoiler
    Show
    Disappointed Adelbert departed for the inn, intending to read the books they had purchased the previous day.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    "We don't know for sure whether the Order found the book or not, just that they defeated Gilbertus," Sieghard added. "But yes, that's what Klammenberg said."

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo shook his head. "We're professionals, madam, let's not split hairs. The content of the book makes it worth far more than that. Lets put the sale aside for a moment: how much to restore it? To do your best job of seperating the pages, at least."

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

All Bar Ludo

Spoiler
    Show
    Heading back to the Haven, Adelbert entered the inn to find the others already there. Sieghard and Ludo seemed to have found their man - they were sitting in the corner with a red-nosed fellow with long hair, ragged clothes and a tangled beard. He might have been any age from twenty-five to fifty - the ravages of alcohol and poverty had done more damage to his face than the years alone ever could.

Ludo

Spoiler
    Show
    "To restore it, three crowns." said Al-Khansa. "I will re-bind it with a new cover, see if I can separate these pages. If they are too damaged I can attempt to write them out anew." She gave a pensive frown. "I think it should take... maybe two days. No more."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard turned towards Adelbert as he approached.

"Schreiber, good timing. We need to see that map of yours. Griswold here is going to show us where the Lost Library is."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2015-02-19 at 08:42 PM.