Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown IV

Ludoless

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert gave Sieghard a dubious look. Personally he doubted the man looked like he would be able to find his hand if he waved it in front of his face. Still one never new.

Carefully he unfolded his map. "Remember this is an older map."

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Before Adelbert's arrival

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lad View Post
    "Gilbertus, ends up getting into a nasty argument with these Illuminated Buggers who live in the Library. And Bang!" Viggo clapped his hands together. "They take possession of the book and end up vanishing themselves so that they can only be found by old drunk shepherds on Feastday!"
    "Ah. Guess I'd been missing only the last part. Or not paying attention." Elsa looked thoughtful, then snapped her fingers. "Yes, that's a good place to look for the book, even if we must run late. If... our employer is on the move by the time we return, we'll simply catch up."

Besides, whether or not the book was in the Lost Library, they were bound to find invaluable knowledge that would more than make up for it. And since the book had been missing from Kheneb-Ptra-Urush for many decades, the world would not stop spinning if they were a few months late returning it.

With Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa drew closer eagerly. "Oh, you have to see this, Adelbert. It turns out Viggo can be useful," she grinned.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

3. - Top - End - #303

BlackDragon

All Bar Ludo
    Spoiler
    Show

Despite himself Adelbert found Elsa's comment intriguing. "Oh?"

He turned and looked at Viggo. "You can do something useful?"

He made a valiant effort to not sound disbelieving.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ludon't

Spoiler
    Show

Viggo harrumphed good naturedly, "Stranger things have happened Adelbert. Believe it or not, I once saw a witch fall out of a pie shop window!"

Hiking a thumb in Griswolds direction, Viggo leaned into Adelberts ear, ensuring he wasn't overheard by the drunk. "I put him into a trance," he waved away any interruptions that that statement may have provoked, "He's telling us the truth Adelbert! He has seen the Lost Library and he knows when it appears."

Speaking in normal tones once again, he ushered Griswold into a chair next to the scribe. "Adelbert, don't just put a mark on the map. Have him give you directions and scratch them down too."
    Last edited by Northern Lad; 2015-02-20 at 11:22 AM.

5. - Top - End - #305

BlackDragon

Ludon't

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert gave Viggo an astonished look. He had no idea the entertainer could hypnotise people. He replied, very quietly: "We will have to talk about that gift of yours later, it could be very useful...".

Turning to Griswold he looked at the drunk and in authorative voice said: "Herr Griswald, looking at this map can you tell us about the trail to this Lost Library? We must know everything."

He removes a sheaf of parchment from his backpack along with his writing kit.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

No Ludos

Spoiler
    Show
    Griswold squinted at the map. He clearly wasn't used to seeing the world reduced to a flat sheet of paper; Adelbert had to do some explaining of the basics to help him find his bearings.

"It was around... here" he said, putting his finger on the parchment rather forcefully for Adelbert's liking. The point he'd chosen was near the southern end of the Lost Vale, at the boundary between the higher ground of the Dead Hills and the jagged border of the Black Karst. The cartographer's work showed that the boundary between the Karst and the valley was serrated with deep gulleys like the fronds of a fern - it was the furthest point of one of these crooked ravines that Griswold was indicating. "A big rock, with a broken crown. Sort of a trail up one side, but all overgrown."
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    "He has seen the Lost Library and he knows when it appears."

"It's a guess," Sieghard said sternly, "And I'm the one who figured it out. He said it was Geheimnisnacht when he stumbled across it and it was gone the next morning. Can't know for certain, but with that and what we already knew, that makes me think it only appears on that night."

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo Yes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo's face fell. "I think we're leaving tomorrow morning. I imagine it wouldn't be possible to take any less time?"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo is happy to offer more money for it, if you want to make a ruling on that.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo

Spoiler
    Show
    "Tomorrow morning?" asked Al-Khansa. She looked down at the book. "Well, for a couple of schillings I can try to separate these mouldy pages for you. There won't be time for anything else."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo thought for a moment, and then placed three schillings on the desk. "If it's readable by tomorrow morning when I leave- which might be quite early- there's another three in it for you. Seem fair? I'm sorry, but I can't hold my friends here any longer." He didn't mention that Al-Khansr probably wanted Adelbert out of Savonne as much as Adelbert did.

11. - Top - End - #311

BlackDragon

Ludoless

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert nodded. "I'm no magician but it does make sense strange things would be afoot on Geheimnisnacht. That will give us enough time to return to Last Water in time for our deadline then equip a proper expedition to the location."

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo

Spoiler
    Show
    "I can't promise they'll be legible," said Al-Khansa. "Some of these pages might be beyond saving. The only way to find out is to try." She nodded. "I'll do my best."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo
    Spoiler
    Show
    "That's all I can ask." Ludo said. "Thank you so much."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Would it be OOC appropriate to go searching for the others now? I can fill time if needed but if they're waiting on me then Ludo will beg her leave and head to the Haven.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

All Together Now

The others were gathered in a corner of the Haven when Ludo returned. They had a guest with them - a rather bedraggled-looking man who could only be Griswold the drunk. Adelbert had his map out, and seemed to be getting directions.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

15. - Top - End - #315

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert glanced up as Ludo entered. "Hello Ludo, this is Griswold, he's been giving us directions to where he says he saw the Lost Library. Have you learned anything new?"

16. - Top - End - #316

Viggo Hirtzel

Viggo greeted Ludo with a friendly wave of his hand, he responded to something that Sieghard must have said before the Halfling entered.

"Yes, yes! You worked it out! Not trying to say that you didn't am I?" Viggo waved a finger at Griswold and Adelbert. "But this little trick of mine that seems to have impressed everybody so much, confirms that what he's telling us is true at least eh?"

Turning to Ludo Viggo spoke excitedly. "All that rummaging through dusty old books and all we really needed to do was find good old Griswold here!"

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

"I think I might have a book written by Gilbertus himself." Ludo said, sitting down with them.

He paused for a reaction. "But no, carry on. What were you saying?"

18. - Top - End - #318

Viggo Hirtzel

Viggo let out an impressed whistle at Ludo's find. "You get anymore books and you'll be able to open a library yourself!" Viggo seemed to consider something. "Did he write this book before or after he turned into a mean spirited git?"

Viggo regaled the Halfling with the days events. Starting with Sieghard's and his own search through the docks before detailing Griswolds tale of woe. Apparently the drunk had lost a brother and a wayward sheep in the mysterious Library on a particularly stormy night. When Griswold returned in the morning the whole building had up and vanished. "Geheimnisnacht seems to be the day it shows up." Viggo paused, glancing across the table. "Sieghard worked it out."

He leaned in close to Ludo, "I did an old trick that I know, put him into a trance and had him answer some questions." Viggo shrugged, he didn't think it was half as impressive a trick as Adelbert and Elsa seemed to think. "He's definitely not lying, he's sure of the date and hopefully he can direct us there too!"

19. - Top - End - #319

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert looked jealous and shocked. For a long moment he gave Ludo a not entirely friendly stare, then said. "I see, well I would like to see this book, all our books in fact for myself."

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo returned the hard look with puzzlement. "It was the Classical book I bought from Fulk. It was written about the time he was active, in a bretonnian style, and it mentioned at the end that the author was planning on heading into Nath itself. It was old and damaged though, so I left it with Al-Khansr to repair. It should be done before we leave tomorrow."

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"It's an interesting find, but if it's from before he even visited Nath, I'm not sure how useful it's going to be."

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

"There might be some clues there." Ludo said. "A lot of local legends about Nath i'd like to look over again in case they give any clues as to whether the book was there."

"Elsa, your book seemed interesting. What was it?"

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

"Elsa, your book seemed interesting. What was it?"

"Interesting indeed," said Elsa. "The journal of a hedge wizard who managed to last for years without accidentally turning his head into a turnip. Or if he did, he failed to mention it. Sadly there's no name, date or place, so what we find here is of limited use."

She flipped to one of the pages she had carelessly dog-eared (to Adelbert's irritation), and read one of the more interesting parts:

...Magda says we should bring it to the duke. Foolish woman! She cannot see past her next three meals. I will bring my work to him when I have had due time to unlock its secrets. How much more will he reward me for bringing him the secret of eternal youth than for a bundle of rotten parchment?

I am convinced these are Gilbertus' own writings. The brutes must have missed them when they tore down his house, being buried as they were. He writes in the old tongue, of which I have some passing knowledge, but there are also symbols the likes of which I have never seen. There must be some secret magic in their design. I will decipher it!
    "He mentions a duke... Was Alvarran a duchy back then? No idea. Governments change so fast around here."

"Now look at this..."

She put her finger on symbols the writer had transcribed into his journal. They looked very much like the ones they had seen in Kheneb-Ptra-Urush.

"If only we could get our hands on the original parchment... but I've reason to think it no longer exists. Listen to this..."

She skipped to the end:

...Drogo says there are men here who have come from the city. They are the duke's soldiers, I am sure of it. Magda could not keep her mouth shut, curse her. My research is not yet complete! How can I offer him what I have not yet mastered?

They are coming to the house. I cannot run. I must impress on them the importance of my work.
    "It ends there. I'm guessing he wasn't too persuasive," said Elsa dryly.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2015-02-25 at 12:09 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

24. - Top - End - #324

Viggo Hirtzel

Viggo pushed his chair back and stood, "Well if this hedge wizard managed to find some scrolls the Illuminated Bunch left behind after demolishing Gilbertus's then there's a slight chance that we might too eh?" Viggo didn't hold out much hope for that, as far as he was concerned the Lost Library was a much more likely candidate for the final resting place of the book.

"If we're going to be setting off in the morning, I need to stock up on some supplies." Viggo told the others has he headed back out onto the streets, "Meet you all back here in the morning?"

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

"By "the old tongue" he means classical, right?" Ludo thought for a moment. "Gilbertus mentioned that he was planning on writing a second book after returning from Nath. Maybe this was what the hedge-wizard found. Though Viggo's right, it makes investigating Gilbertus's house more useful."

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"He mentions a duke... Was Alvarran a duchy back then? No idea. Governments change so fast around here."

Sieghard shook his head.

"Unless the book is old, he probably meant here. Savonne had a duke before the elf came into power."

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

"Of course... if he found Gilbertus' notes... the notes he made after visiting Nath and maybe taking the book... and the duke's men took them... they'd have ended up in the castle library."
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2015-02-25 at 11:28 AM.

28. - Top - End - #328

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

"I doubt that is readily open to visitors though," Adelbert suggested. "If we are leaving I have a hammer to return to Lena and I better prepare Kaja. Also I should probably send a message at least to Klammenberg."

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

"We still need to ask and to try though. Perhaps Hieronymous could get us in? This could have all the information we need about the book. We can't get the book itself, yes? We can at least get Sforza a document of it's capabilities."

30. - Top - End - #330

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

"The locals priests have made it pretty clear they try to stay out of politics with secular rulers though," Adelbert pointed out. "I would be surprised if Hieronymous has the pointy ear of the prince."