New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown IV

Adelbert Schreiber

Spoiler
    Show
    Screaming in pain Adelbert dropped his sword from his good (right) hand and clutched at his left arm.

"I yield, I yield!"
    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    [B]All Out Attack on Ambusher #1:[/B] (1d100)[16] vs. 56 (WS+bonus)
    Reroll if needed: [roll]1d100[/]

Damage (if he hits): (1d10+3)[9]

Edit: Missed your edit there LCP so edited mine a little to keep up. I'd already rolled an attack so a little late to surrender unfortunately.

Edited again!
    Last edited by RossN; 2015-06-17 at 05:53 PM.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    The two men looked at each other as if suspecting a trick. Slowly, the larger of the two approached until he was face-to-face with Adelbert. A swift, sharp knee to the groin sent the scribe buckling over into the mud.

"Not so much fun now, is it?" he heard the man jeer, before a boot to the side of his head knocked him unconscious.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    WFRP doesn't have great rules for knocking people out so I hope you don't mind my taking the liberty of just doing this narratively now Adelbert's surrendered.

Rolling blood loss: (1d100)[84] - erk. Adelbert's going to have to burn Fate to live through this one. There's also the Toughness test to keep your arm - I'll let you roll that yourself.
    Last edited by LCP; 2015-06-17 at 06:04 PM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

3. - Top - End - #753

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert collapsed.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fate point expended to survive.

Toughness test: (1d100)[79] vs 33
    Fortune point reroll: (1d100)[48] vs 33
    Last edited by RossN; 2015-06-17 at 06:17 PM.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Bugbear in the Playground

A Swamp in Time Saves Nine

Spoiler
    Show

Something in what Elsa and Sieghard said seemed to console Viggo, he nodded firmly and it seemed for a second as if he were going to ask another question. Instead he squared his shoulders and looked them both in their eyes, his gaze unusually steady, before nodding one more. "I'll go find him now and check that he's alright."

Ludo & Viggo - Timesplit

Spoiler
    Show

Finding the Halfling sitting on an outcrop of collapsed wall, Viggo approached and sat beside him. For a long time he said nothing, kicking his legs aimlessly and occasionally reaching down to pat Stoutheart.

Eventually he broke the silence, speaking slowly in considered tones. "That man tried to bury us alive Ludo. Given half a chance he would have killed us in our sleep. You heard that yourself." The young minstrel turned so that he was facing Ludo and could look him in the eye. "We weren't the first folk he'd done it too either." Viggo placed a reassuring hand on his friends shoulder. "People like us. Like me and you Ludo, folk like us, are prey to folk like them. They look at us and see our size, your height my... scrawniness." The word nearly caught in his throat but he had to be honest with himself now. "They see that we can't defend ourselves and they take from us or kill us. We have to change that Ludo or that's exactly what they will do."

Viggo heaved a hefty sigh and placed his hands back on his knees. "What would have happened if Sieghard hadn't been with us Ludo, ask yourself that?" His brow furrowed as he himself contemplated what the outcome might have been.

In The Boat

Luckily Viggo had spent a good amount of time on their journey back out here trying to commit to memory the many twists and turns that Rogar had taken. When it looked like neither Sieghard or Elsa were likely going to take up the opportunity to learn how to punt the boat, he himself took up the pole, calling back and forth with Ludo who, perched at the front of the boat, was directing him as they made their way back into the marsh.

Once they were well on their way Viggo began bombarding Sieghard with questions, "How many men have you killed? Do you think I should get a shield like yours to fight with? Can we start my lessons again, properly this time? Who taught him how to fight? What's it like... you know... actually stabbing somebody?"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

Rolls for Assists to Ludo's Navigation. (I think this is right LCP?)

Perception Test:
    INT 31 - (1d100)[19]
    Re-Roll - (1d100)[99]

Intelligence Test:
    INT 31 - (1d100)[38]
    Re-Roll - (1d100)[8]

Fellowship Test:
    FEL 43 -(1d100)[77]
    Re-roll - (1d100)[45]

Last edited by Northern Lad; 2015-06-18 at 09:31 AM.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Titan in the Playground

The one Rogar likes the most

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard answered Viggo's questions readily at first and then with his usual mild annoyance. If nothing else, his mood seemed to be improving - Or atleast returning to normal anyways.

"How many men have you killed?"

"Dunno, I didn't count. More greenskins than men in any case."

"Do you think I should get a shield like yours to fight with?"

"Yes. Maybe start with something a bit lighter though. 'Til your arm gets stronger."

"Can we start my lessons again, properly this time?"

"When we're back in Mirino, yes."

"Who taught him you how to fight?"

"Learned most of it from a son of a Brettonian whore called Renaud. Bastard stunk like garlic," he added with a smirk.

"What's it like... you know... actually stabbing somebody?"

"Ever slaughter a goat?"

6. - Top - End - #756
    Titan in the Playground

Who is totally alive and well, by the way.
    Spoiler
    Show

Timesplit
    Spoiler
    Show
    "He would have killed us in our sleep, but we did kill him? Doesn't that make us just as bad as him? We could have just left. We shouldn't have done this."

Ludo shifted uncomfortably. Sensing his despondency, Stoutheart trotted over and snuffled at the hem of his trousers: he ignored the dog. "If Sieghard hadn't been there... he was, wasn't he? So it doesn't matter."

Ludo sat cross-legged in the front of the boat, his legs crossed and stoutheart in his lap, not speaking except to point the boat in a slightly new direction.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Titan in the Playground

Bracken Mere Cruises

Spoiler
    Show
    Viggo found poling the boat hard work - but it was infinitely preferable to their first, gruelling journey back from the ruins. By the time they had cleared the mists surrounding the island, he was beginning to get the hang of how to steer by sweeping the pole through the water behind them. Together with being careful not to get the end stuck in the thick mud at the bottom, that seemed to be the trick to it.

Navigating the twisting waterways of the Bracken Mere proved the more difficult task. Using the sun and the hills as their reference, they followed te landmarks they could remember back along Rogar's route. It was a long journey at a reduced speed, but by late afternoon Ludo spotted Ravenskird's chapel of Morr rising above the marshes.

There was no call to return too close to the village, and so Viggo swung east instead, traversing increasingly shallow channels until the stretches of open water became too broken and choked with vegetation for the boat to make further progress. To the north, the edge of the marsh merged into the firmer ground of the empty Painford road; to the east, the green canopy of the Thornwood rose up from the wetlands.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

8. - Top - End - #758
    Titan in the Playground

Not-so-clever Rogar Joke

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard stepped out of the boat and stretched his legs a bit. He had been worried about the possibility of getting lost in the swamp, and it came as a surprise that Viggo of all people had been the one to guide them out, not that he would ever say it out loud.

"Help me shove the boat over there," he said, gesturing towards a patch of reeds that seemed thicker than most. "We'll get as far as we can before nightfall and if we haven't reached town, we'll find a place to rest. Dunno about the rest of you, but I'd be happy to never have to set foot in Ravenskird again after all this."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2015-06-19 at 11:24 AM.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & co.

Spoiler
    Show
    The waterlogged stump of a long-dead tree provided Sieghard with a reference point near which to conceal the boat. Pushing it into a dense stand of reeds, he made it fast with the length of knotted rope that was tied to the bow before wading back to (relatively) dry land.

Heading for the road, they cleared the fringes of the marsh and headed east. By the time the last light of dusk had faded, they had reached the boundary of the Thornwood. Tired and still a little damp below the knees from the last stretch through the Mere, they made camp beneath the shadow of the canopy.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Could all members of the party please make a Perception check at -20.

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert woke to find himself laid out on a dirty wooden floor. His mouth tasted as if it had been poured full of glue, and a dull pain was throbbing in his arm. As he tried to sit it turned into a stab of agony, broken bones shifting against each other.

Someone had done a rough job of binding the wound, splinting the break and putting his arm in a sling, but there was no sign of them now. He could hear the lapping of water, and guessed he was in one of the marsh-side shacks. Looking around, he could see a few crude items of furniture, and a heavy chest sitting in one darkened corner. He had been relieved of his armour, his sword and his boots, and felt damnably cold.

Outside, men were talking in low voices. There was a pause in the conversation, and then the door creaked open. Costin entered, ducking under the low lintel to stand over Adelbert where he lay.

"Awake, then," grunted the hostel-keeper, looking none too happy. His genial demeanour from before had evaporated like morning dew. Running his eyes over his captive, he pulled a pensive face. "I'm guessing you're understanding the situation by now."

Behind him, the second man entered - Adelbert recognised the bearded leader of his ambushers.

"See, it's sort of a tradition in these parts," said Costin, who might as well have been talking to himself. "People go wandering in the ruins, well, it's their own funeral. Not our job to warn 'em. And they won't be needing their things when they're dead." He turned his head to one side. "Nobody ever came back before. You can see that put us in a bit of a pickle."

He squatted down onto his haunches, looking Adelbert in the eye.

"We've been waiting for your friends to come back all day. No sign of 'em, nor Rogar." He paused. "So I'm thinking maybe you lot aren't as foolish as the old fool took you for. You'd know of course if they were planning anything... revenge-like, right? You'd tell old Costin?" He raised his eyebrows. "'Cos you know now that wouldn't end well."
    Last edited by LCP; 2015-06-19 at 12:18 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #760
    Titan in the Playground

Not Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    "Dunno about the rest of you, but I'd be happy to never have to set foot in Ravenskird again after all this."

"Likewise," said Elsa, helping Sieghard with the boat. "Hey, Viggo, nice job guiding us. You do have your uses."

She was still in a good enough mood from watching Rogar die to deign to be polite to the bard. She also knew that her conscience would not trouble her sleep tonight.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

11. - Top - End - #761

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe I should have fought on to the end affter all... gods I'm done for!

Adelbert glared at Costin. "It won't end well, least of all for you. Do you think w're just a bunch of random travellers? Oh no, we're working for someone, and if we don't turn back up, where do you thik they'll look first? It's no secret we were in Ravenskird. Aye you can kill me, and I'm thinking you will soon enough, but you'll be dead men within the month if you do."

12. - Top - End - #762
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Costin narrowed his eyes skeptically at Adelbert.

"Big words," he said, bluntly. "Who's this big man you're working for, then?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Charm covers deception, so it'll be a Charm check to sell him your story. Modifiers depend on what details you choose to give.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

13. - Top - End - #763

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert chuckled, then winced at the pain. "No 'man', my friend. I work for the Witch of Painford, the woman who can change living men to solid metal with the whisper of her words and the glance of her eyes. I don't know why she is interested in the secrets of those ruins... though if I did I would tell you nothing because I fear her more. We were to investigate and tell her what we found. Should we not return I've no doubt she'll come herself, and she won't rest til she finds out what has become of her agents. Let me go and I'll breathe not a word of this. Keep me or silence me and it is the witch you'll answer too... and she'll know."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Charm test: (1d100)[89] vs. 36
    Fortune point re-roll: (1d100)[49] vs. 36

14. - Top - End - #764
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Costin looked askance at Adelbert, not sure whether to trust the truth of his words. Rising back to his full height, he glanced at his accomplice, and the two stepped outside for a muttered conversation. Adelbert could catch snatches of what they were saying.

"...could all be lies..."
    "...let him tell, it's as bad as if we put a knife in him..."
    "...blame someone else..."
    "...give it back..."
    "...can't take that chance..."

At last, their voices fell silent, seeming to come to a decision. The dark figure of Costin reappeared in the doorway, one hand hidden behind his back.

"I'm thinking maybe we might have got off on the wrong foot," he said, quietly coming closer. The other man slipped into the shack behind him, standing back. "Why don't you come with me, get some fresh air, and we can sort all these misunderstandings out?"

His words were interrupted by the harsh boom of a horn, cutting through the thick swamp air. Brow furrowing, he turned to look back outside - Adelbert caught the glint of metal in his hidden hand.

"Wait here," he said to his accomplice, and ran out into the gathering dusk. Watching him go, the bearded man took up position just inside the door, his hand straying to rest on the hilt of the notched blade at his belt.

Drifting through the open door, shouts and screams were beginning to rise over Ravenskird - many voices, their numbers growing by the minute. Over the hue and cry, Adelbert thought he heard the ring of metal striking metal...
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

15. - Top - End - #765

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert's eyes widened. They were obviously under attack, but by whom? He recalled torches in the night...

"I don't know who is attacking you but I doubt it's my friends. I can help... I can't fight, not in this state and I know you wouldn't trust me, but I do have some training as a healer."
    Last edited by RossN; 2015-06-19 at 05:17 PM.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Glancing sideways at Adelbert as if begrudging the distraction, the bearded man peered out of the doorway. Ducking back inside, he drew his sword from its sheath and flattened his back against the wall.

"There's bloody dozens of them," he muttered. He pointed the blade at Adelbert. "Stay right where you are. And keep your mouth shut."

The sounds of violence were coming closer, growing louder as they spread through the village. A ragged figure fled past the open door, then another - a mother clutching an infant to her chest.

The third figure to appear out of the dark wasn't running. A wild-looking man, black-bearded and wrapped in crude furs, burst through the door with a flaming torch in his hand. The other held an iron axe, splashed with blood.

Adelbert's grey-bearded captor stepped silently out behind him, driving his sword up to its hilt in the intruder's back. With a grunt, the intruder fell to his knees - the sword pulled free, and he toppled forward onto his face.

"Morr's teeth," hissed the bearded man, reaching down to pick up the still-burning torch. Before his fingers could close around it, a pale blur leaped through the open doorway, bearing him over with a strangled yell. He fell hard against the wooden floor, jarring his sword from his hand. Rolling over, he stretched for it - just as powerful jaws bit down on his neck. There was a crunching snap, and the man fell still.

The beast that had killed him looked up, its muzzle slobbered with his blood. It was an enormous wolf, its pelt golden white in the light of the torch. Its eyes were bright blue - as they fixed on his, Adelbert felt a creeping sense of familiarity.
    Last edited by LCP; 2015-06-19 at 05:55 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

17. - Top - End - #767

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert looked at the wolf in horror, a memory and suspicion suddenly passing through him. utter madness but maybe...

He licked dry lips. "Kelda...? Kelda Wave-Born, is that you?"

18. - Top - End - #768
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Silently, the wolf padded forwards, bringing its snout level with Adelbert's face. It gave a loud, snuffling sniff, gauging his scent. Adelbert tried not to notice the blood dripping from its jaws onto his shirt.

The wolf's head whipped round as a Ravenskirder ran through the doorway, seeking shelter from the chaos outside. He had scarcely had a chance to trip over the two bodies at the threshold before a thrown axe took him in the back, knocking him from his feet and adding his corpse to the pile.

Stepping in out of the darkness, a burly man reached down to wrench his axe out of his victim's body. His face was framed by a plaited beard and an unruly mane of reddish hair, and he wore an assortment of furs and pitch-blackened armour plates. In his left hand he carried a spiked mace that Adelbert would have had to use two hands to wield.

Seeing Adelbert in the shadows, the man lifted his axe - the wolf bared its teeth and growled at him, a low rumble of warning. That seemed to dissuade him - lowering his weapons, he stood aside.

Leaving Adelbert behind, the wolf turned and loped back out into the dark, bounding out of sight with an accelerating leap. The man lingered for a few seconds more, scrutinising Adelbert's face - then, without a word, he headed back out into the fray.

The sounds of bloodshed were now if anything diminishing. The battle sounded like it was quickly coming to a one-sided conclusion.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

19. - Top - End - #769

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert was almost too terrified to breath, let alone move. The sounds of battle were horrifying enough but it was the wolf that loomed largest in his thoughts. It had saved his life and... recognised him? Claimed him?

It seemed madness to even think it but he recalled stories of the barbarous Norse and their strange magics, and the memory of a fair haired, blue eyed warrioress. Had it been Kelda? Or was he just losing his grip on sanity.

He crawled across the floor, not daring to go out til the sounds died away but needing a weapon to defend himself should the worst come to the worst. Shuddering he took up the sword from his bearded captor and retreated into the dark, parying to Verena and Sigmar to save him from the chaos.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    The torch finally guttering out, Adelbert stayed crouched in the darkened shack for what could only have been a few minutes, but felt like an eternity. Wedging himself into the darkest corner, between the wall and the big chest, he watched the door with a white-knuckle grip on his stolen sword - but no new attackers came rushing through.

Soon, the sounds of fighting had died down completely, save for a few piteous cries. He thought he could hear voices now, coming from the centre of the village - whatever they were talking about, it sounded like the battle was over.

There was no sign of the wolf, but that didn't mean it wasn't still out there, somewhere in the dark.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

21. - Top - End - #771

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Spoiler
    Show
    Much as he wished too Adelbert knew he couldn't stay here forever. He had to find Kaja if the boy still lived. No, he couldn't think like that. The boy had to remain alive. He was in a terrible state but that couldn't be helped for now.

He carefully moved out the door, trying to orientate himself in the dark, the sword clutched in his hand. The village was small, and there was a good chance he could find the shrine.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Titan in the Playground

VELS
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo traipsed along behind the group as they walked, seemingly unhappy to meet their attentions or their eyes. When they set camp he ate disconsolately and spent most of the meal staring out into the forest.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Titan in the Playground

ELVS

Spoiler
    Show
    As he was trying to find a comfortable spot to bed down, Ludo turned his head toward the western horizon. He thought he had heard a distant sound - the faint boom of a horn.

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Slipping out into the night, Adelbert picked his way through the darkened streets towards the raised ground on which the chapel of Morr stood. Here and there, shapeless forms lay face-down in the mud. He tried not to look at them.

Coming around a corner, he found the shrine surrounded by a ring of burning torches. They were held by armed men, short, hairy and dirty - he was reminded forcefully of the patrol they had encountered with Kelda in the Raven Hills. There were dozens of them, shouting and running to and fro as they encircled the temple.

At their head were four taller figures, armoured in chainmail and scraps of blackened plate. By the flickering firelight, Adelbert recognised the red-maned warrior who had spared him in the shack - with him were two younger men, fair of hair, and a black-haired woman in a grey fur cloak. Their clothes, weapons and armour looked foreign to Adelbert, but not as foreign as he would like. In the years of the Storm, the Norscan reavers of the Sea of Claws had penetrated deeper into the Empire than ever before, bringing their seafaring brand of terror to landlocked towns and villages that had never before had reason to fear.

The red-haired man was the oldest, and seemed to be in command. As he approached the doorway of the shrine, Adelbert saw Brother Cezar standing there, blocking the way. There looked to be other people sheltering inside.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Concealment check for Adelbert (at +30) please.
    Last edited by LCP; 2015-06-20 at 04:45 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

24. - Top - End - #774

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Spoiler
    Show
    Horrified, Adelbert crept closer, scuttling through the shade. He could not even begin to imagine how terrified poor Kaja had to be... and the thought of those torches being hurled at the shrine terrified him. The northern barbarians were pagans to a man, what was Morr to them? Well they'd find out the truth at the moment of their passing but that didn't help Cezar or the others.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Untrainted Concealment: (1d100)[92] vs. 55

25. - Top - End - #775
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    "I cannot allow you in so armed," said Cezar as the red-haired man strode closer. "This is Morr's sacred ground."

The big man spat onto the earth. "God of death," he said, his thick accent making the words come out slow and guttural. "He should be pleased that we offer up these cowards to him."

"We all come to Morr's kingdom in our own time," said Cezar, remarkably calm as he gazed up at the hulking barbarian. "That journey is not for mortal men to hasten or delay."

"Want to test that?" called out one of the fair-haired men. The other Norscans laughed, but their followers stayed silent. The hill men were keeping a respectful distance from the shrine - Adelbert wondered if they didn't look a little uncomfortable with their part in this scene.

Unfortunately, that awkward air worked against him. As the crowd of armed men shifted uneasily, one caught sight of him edging through the shadows. A cry went up, and Adelbert quickly found himself in the centre of a ring of swords and axes.

"Another one!" shouted a man with a matted beard you could have hidden a bird's nest in. He glanced back towards the red-haired Norscan. "Sneaking about behind us!"

Looking round, the big man's eyes met Adelbert's again. Lifting his axe, he made a curt gesture.

"Bring him."

The circle closed in around Adelbert, rough hands reaching out to grab him.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

26. - Top - End - #776

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert did not resist, dropping his stolen sword and raising his good hand to show himself unarmed. He tried to meet the big man's eye as he was taken and not let the fellow know how terrified he truly was.

"My place is with them," he said, incling his head towards the shrine. "Whatever their fate - aye and mine. My ward is in there, a boy still many years from his first shave. He's no warrior, why not let him at least go on his path? Whatever your quarel with this town he is an innocent."
    Last edited by RossN; 2015-06-20 at 05:30 PM.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Titan in the Playground

Anyone else notice that every time Adelbert isn't around, something immoral happens?

Spoiler
    Show
    "I'll take the first watch," Sieghard said, "Doubt we've got anything to worry about, but better to be safe. Viggo, I want you on the last watch. Ludo, take the second one."

When Ludo hadn't responded, he spoke up. "Ludo! The second watch, did you hear me?" if Ludo didn't feel much like talking, Sieghard wasn't going to press him, but it was another thing entirely if the halfling wasn't even going to bother paying attention when spoken to.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2015-06-20 at 05:51 PM.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Gripped tight in the centre of a moving scrum, Adelbert was bundled to the front of the crowd. It was all he could do to resist the urge to cry out as their rough treatment jarred the broken bones in his arm. At last, he was practically thrown to the ground in front of the red-bearded warrior.

The man seemed to have little interest in him. His attention had instead returned to Cezar and the others sheltering inside. Adelbert glimpsed Kaja's frightened face - and Costin's as well, now streaked with blood.

"I won't ask you again, little man," he rumbled. "Get out of my way."

Cezar didn't move. The Norscan raised his axe, a murmur ran through the mob - and a strong voice called out from the back.

"Halt!"

The red-haired man turned at the sound, and immediately lowered his weapon. A man of equally intimidating size was striding towards the chapel, at the head of a fresh column of hill-men. Clad in black armour, draped in wolf furs, and carrying a fearsomely barbed sword, he looked like he had walked straight out of an illustration from a history of Magnus the Pious and the Great War.

As one, the Norscans at the head of the raiding party sank to one knee, bowing their heads. The armoured man strode up to the doors of the chapel and removed his helmet. Beneath it, his hair was fair, like his younger lieutenants. A thick beard lined his strong jaw, and his tanned skin was marked with the faint lines of old scars.

"Jeg var ved at dræbe disse kvæg til dig, min jarl,"
    muttered the red-haired man.
    "Så det er en god ting, jeg ankom I tide til at stoppe dig," replied the other. Without another word to his subordinate, he looked across to Cezar.

"You are the keeper of this shrine?"

Cezar nodded.

"You honour your gods." Wiping his sword on his cloak, the tall man sheathed it, and raised his voice so that all in the temple could hear. "I am Rorik Wolf-Risen. Your village now belongs to me."

The people inside the chapel began to mutter at the invader's name. Cezar looked up into his eyes.

"Your lands are to the west of ours," he said. "How did you cross the Mere?"

Rorik grinned. "I did not," he said. At his side, the red-haired warrior bared his teeth in a similar smile. "We came through the Teeth."

"Impossible!" blurted out someone from inside the chapel. The others instantly moved away from them, leaving them uncomfortably fixed in the northmen's gaze. "I - I mean - the mountains are swarming with goblins! Always have been!"

"Yah," said the dark-haired woman, raising a leather cord she had been wearing around her neck. It was strung with fifteen or twenty shrivelled green ears. "They were surprised, too."

"The elf king's days here are over," said Rorik, asserting control of the conversation once again as he addressed the multitude cowering inside the shrine. "Come outside, and I give my word you will not be harmed. This I command as your Jarl."

Kaja caught Adelbert's eye, his face frozen in indecision. Adelbert could tell the boy was looking to him to lead the way.
    Last edited by LCP; 2015-06-20 at 06:18 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #779
    Titan in the Playground

Elsabeth Holt

Spoiler
    Show
    Just a month or two ago, Elsa might have grown impatient and annoyed with Ludo, mistaking his doubts for weakness. But the Elsa of today was a slightly different person -- the kind who offered:

"I can take the second watch if Ludo needs some rest."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

30. - Top - End - #780

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert nodded to the boy to come out, then pulled himself to his feet. "Jarl Rorik I honour thee. I am Adelbert a man of the Empire and a servant of the Owl goddess. I would request permission to speak with you and your advisors." He bowed, painfully.