New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1501
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown IV

At the sound of Adelbert's voice, Bernhard looked down from his high saddle like an adult being pestered by a knee-high infant.

"Say," said one of the young knights, spurring his horse a few paces forwards to get a better look at Adelbert. "He's the fellow who brought the warning from Ravenskird."

"Knows the way to Caerfort too, apparently," said the other, riding forwards on Adelbert's right. Adelbert suddenly found himself fenced in on three sides by large, dangerous-looking horses. "Gets around a bit, eh?"

"Quiet, the both of you," snapped Bernhard. He turned back to Adelbert. "We've got a good share of hangers-on already. You can join the baggage train if you want passage as far as Caerfort." He glanced over towards the column, where some minor disturbance seemed to have broken out in the ranks. "Talk to Gunther the quartermaster if you want to sell your services. I doubt we'll need you before Caerfort, but it never hurts to have another sawbones on the books."

Clearly done talking to this peasant, he wheeled his horse away to deal with the breakdown of discipline behind him.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #992
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Not entirely pleased by being spoken to in such tones by an inbred illiterate Adelbert turned and left, seeking out this quartermaster and the baggage train. He glanced at the others to see if they were keeping company. Sieghard in particular might come in handy to stress their martial abilities. He'd also have to look into getting more impressive vestments made if he was to be treated like the priest he soon would be.

3. - Top - End - #993
    Titan in the Playground

They found Gunther fairly easily. He was a broad-shouldered man in a battered brigandine, bald but for an impressive pair of sideburns and an equally impressive moustache. They found him supervising the loading of three wagons with supplies, watching the loiterers surrounding the operation with a hawk-like eye to make sure they didn't try to make off with anything they thought wouldn't be missed.

Gunther's manners were coarser than the three knights, but he greeted Adelbert more warmly once the scribe had introduced himself. "D'you know how to make good bandages?" he asked. "We're always low on bloody bandages."

Pausing to give instructions to a pair of soldiers loading one of the wagons, he turned back to Adelbert.

"I can put you and your friends on the books as camp followers as far as food and water are concerned. Shelter you'll have to see about yourselves. Some of the others in the train might be willing to share. If there's any hurt before we get to Caerfort, I'll see you paid for any doctoring needs doing." He spat on his hand and held it out for Adelbert to shake. "Fair?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

4. - Top - End - #994
    Titan in the Playground

Elsabeth Holt

Not entirely pleased by being spoken to in such tones by an inbred illiterate Adelbert turned and left
    Elsa suppressed a snicker.

See how the big scary meathead dismissed you just by looking at you? That's how I get treated all the time when people don't know I can throw fireballs.

"Poor Adelbert... Knowledge is woefully underappreciated in these parts," she teased.

She followed the scribe to the baggage train, though she had no interest in offering any services; she would rather not advertise the fact that she was a wizard, and considered any other job to be beneath her.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2015-07-14 at 05:32 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

5. - Top - End - #995

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

"Yet you seem to thrive Elsa," an annoyed Adelbert whispered back. It was hard to deny her point though.

Meeting Guther and listening to his spiel Adelbert hesitated but shook hands in turn. "I'll see what I can do about the bandages. I'm an initiate of Verena in case you need a chaplain. Not that I suppose She has many worshippers here but I'll help if needed."

6. - Top - End - #996
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"I can fight if need be," Sieghard said. "A good deal better the pack of conscripts you've gathered," he added.

He considered the size of the force that had been mustered "Do you expect to encounter anything more than bands of raiders without traveling further south? Has the Caerfort road really gotten so bad?"

7. - Top - End - #997
    Bugbear in the Playground

Viggo Hirtzel

Viggo trailed along behind the others as they set off in search of Gunther, feeling oddly homesick in all the commotion. "At least we can get as far as Caerfort without ending up in an Orc's cook pot eh?" He commented to nobody in particular.

The hustle and bustle of the armed men reminded Viggo of those times when The Show used to pack up and move on. Intense activity tempered by a nervous tenseness. I'd be bloody tense too If I thought I was off to hunt down a pack of sodding Greenskins!

"Do you expect to encounter anything more than bands of raiders without traveling further south? Has the Caerfort road really gotten so bad?"
    "And what about the Caerfort to Mirino stretch?" Viggo asked, tagging his question onto the end of Sieghards' "You lads likely to be sending any patrols out that way?"

8. - Top - End - #998
    Titan in the Playground

"For now, this is as good as we can get." Ludo said, shrugging and trying to stay out of the way. He suspected that his particular skills were unlikely to be of use in a military operation, and decided to keep staying out of the way until Caerfort.

9. - Top - End - #999
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sieghard
    He considered the size of the force that had been mustered "Do you expect to encounter anything more than bands of raiders without traveling further south? Has the Caerfort road really gotten so bad?"
    "Far as I understand it we are heading further south," said Gunther. "Not that I can tell you much as far as the plan goes. All I'm in command of are these wagons."

Quote Originally Posted by Viggo
    "And what about the Caerfort to Mirino stretch?" Viggo asked, tagging his question onto the end of Sieghards' "You lads likely to be sending any patrols out that way?"
    Gunther shook his head. "That's the Tilean's territory," he said. "Caerfort's always been the halfway mark. Some've been saying we shouldn't even march that far."

Strutting over to deal with a badly-loaded wagon, he called back over his shoulder to the party: "We should be setting off in an hour or two. Make sure you've got all your things ready for then. Column won't wait for you if you don't."

Festag, 29th Pflugzeit

The column moved slowly compared to the time the party had been making on their own. There were wagons to pull, camp followers to corral, formations to keep. Bernhard and the two young knights were a constant presence, riding up and down the line to keep their small force in order. Bernhard's frustration at their plodding pace was plain to see.

It took them four days to reach Caerfort, the dry grit of the Iron Claw Hills working its way into their boots. They met no resistance from the greenskins, but signs of their presence were plentiful - another burned-out farmstead near the border of the Thornwood, dust plumes on the horizon that Gunther said were wolf rider packs on the move. Morale among the soldiers seemed low - the numbers of the enemy they were marching to face seemed completely unknown, while many questioned why the bulk of Evatt's forces had remained behind. The most cheerful among them said it was because they had been sent as a raiding party, to strike a decapitating blow rather than to engage in a war of attrition with the greenskins. The more pessimistic said Bernhard had pushed the old man too far, and this mission was the next best thing to exile - or a death sentence.

When they reached Caerfort at last, Adelbert saw the village was somewhat changed. The old tower still loomed high above the hovels on the edge of the marsh, but low banks of earth had been raised around the village's southern perimeter, studded with sharpened stakes. Sieghard didn't think they would stop a sustained assault, but as a deterrent to mounted raiders they certainly looked the part.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #1000

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert spent his days preaching among those soldiers who looked like they might listen in an effort to keep morale up, speaking of the many victories over the greenskins, especially those won by the faithful of Verena. His aim was to help keep up morale and perhaps, goddess willing, win some interest in his faith.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A few rolls here

Academic Knowledge History: (1d100)[77] vs. 46
    Academic Knowledge Theology: (1d100)[11] vs. 46
    Charm: (1d100)[83] vs. 36

FP reroll one: (1d100)[94] vs. 36 or 46
    FP reroll two: (1d100)[71] vs. 36 or 46

In his spare time he aided Gunther in any minor tasks needed. Kaja was allowed to read the more exciting, less long winded stories in the Verenean book (assuming any of it fit that despcription.) The scribe seemed to rather enjoy himself. He was heading home and he strongly believed that striking out against the orcs was necessary before it became too late.

On the day they reached Caerfort Adelbert drew Gunther aside: "I know the village elder and can speak Breton. I'd be happy to go with Bernhard's envoys if you think he'd allow it."

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Bugbear in the Playground

Viggo Hirtzel

Although the slow pace of their journey chaffed a little, Viggo was still happy to be traveling safely. There was small chance of being attacked this time around, still, he fretted over the next stretch of road. A wolves snapping jaws filled his memory for a moment causing him to shudder.

He spent his time on the march playing the flute, keeping beat with the pounding steps of the soldiers. His Pa had been a soldier before joining the Show as had a few of the other older men, between them they'd taught him many marching tunes and regiment songs and over the course of the days he played every one that he knew. When not playing he spent a lot of his time gossiping with the soldiers, telling them ribald tales and listening to theirs in turn.

Upon reaching Caerfort and after finding somewhere safe for Magnus, he tagged along with Adelbert, curious about what was happening in the small town.

OOC

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Musician Test:
    FEL 43 - (1d100)[72]
    RE-Roll - (1d100)[26]

Storyteller Test:
    FEL 43 +10 Mimic - (1d100)[93]
    Re-Roll - (1d100)[22]

Gossip Tests:
    FEL 43 +10 Mastery

Any gossip on Fritz & Luther - (1d100)[87]
    What will Evatt do about Rorik in Savonne - (1d100)[35]
    Why did Evatt bring his men to a landlocked province - (1d100)[17]
    Would they be leaving a force behind in Caerfort - (1d100)[24]
    Last edited by Northern Lad; 2015-07-16 at 11:34 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Titan in the Playground

Gunther shrugged. "I'm not in charge here," he said. "Go ask him if you think he'll want you."

As it was, Bernhard and Orderic had already found each other, and the knight was already growing visibly frustrated at Orderic's paltry grasp of Reikspiel. With Adelbert's assistance, Orderic was assured that Bernhard's force had no intention of looting the village. The old man seemed somewhat disappointed, however, when he learned they weren't here to defend it either.

Seizing on Adelbert's usefulness as a translator, Bernhard told him to relay instructions for the locals to show his scouts the areas with the most recent greenskin activity. He informed Orderic that his force would be making camp at Caerfort until they could track the orcs' leader; after that, they would head south in pursuit. A small group of soldiers were to be left behind to relay news of the expedition back to Manann's Keep - Orderic offered them the use of the village pigeons, which Bernhard brusquely accepted.

If Adelbert had been hoping from gratitude from Bernhard, he was disappointed. As soon as he was done making his arrangements with Orderic, Bernhard rode off to see to his men. His face set in the same frown it had been for much of the journey, the knight seemed preoccupied with his own thoughts.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

13. - Top - End - #1003

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Chafing at his treatment by Bernhard Adelbert stuck by Orderic for the moment in case his translation duties were needed once more. He also offered to conduct (Verenan) religious services for any villager who needed it.

<"Has there been recent word from Last Water?"> Adelbert asked in Breton.

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Titan in the Playground

<No, said Orderic, all quiet in the west.> He frowned. <Some of the villagers here say they have seen the Tilean's soldiers near the Chateau du Marais.>
    Last edited by LCP; 2015-07-16 at 05:52 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

15. - Top - End - #1005

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert looked uncomfortable at that and changed the subject. <"Orderic... have you considered resettlling your people elsewhere, at least until the orc threats are diminished? Perhaps refound Caerfort anew in Last Water? I confess I worry about you my friend.">

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Titan in the Playground

<The village has stood on this site since the time of the first crusade,> said the old man, shaking his head with a smile. <No warlord or greenskin has ever managed to remove us from the map.> He looked around at Bernhard's force, now breaking order after its long march. <I hope these young men succeed in their mission. Then perhaps we will have some quieter times.>
    Last edited by LCP; 2015-07-16 at 06:05 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

17. - Top - End - #1007

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert said nothing for a while simply watching the troops move about. <"I understand... and I hope with you. If nothing else it is better than simply waiting. If we wait the orcs will grow ever more powerful and numerous and sweep away us all."

He offered his hand to the old man. <"I better return to camp - my apprentice is no doubt already causing trouble. Verenea be with you my friend.">

He took his leave and walked back to look for his companions, falling in with Viggo. "We better see what Bernhard has planned. Orderic said the Tileans have troops at the temple... not that he called it that of course... but we better tell Bernhard something there."

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

With signs of greenskin activity everywhere, Sieghard was glad they had been able to attach themselves to such a large group. Raiders may not have troubled them on the road, but he doubted they would've had the same good fortune had it just been the five of them. He only hoped the road from Caerfort to Mirino would be safer.

"No, we shouldn't breathe a word about it," he said once Adelbert had returned. He lowered his voice. "If Evatt's men find out about the ruins on their own, so be it, but I don't even want to think about what Sforza would do to us if he had reason to think we tipped them off."

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Titan in the Playground

Elsabeth Holt

Elsa was right back from selling her storm lantern to the keeper of a general store.

"The temple... you mean Kheneb-Ptra-Urush?" she frowned.

Was Sforza there for the rest of the gold? Yes, that seemed likely. If he had tried to force his way in with his army, there must have been quite a battle... She wished she had been there, if only in an advisory capacity.

"I agree with Sieghard, better keep our mouths shut."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

20. - Top - End - #1010

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert lowered his own voice: "I agree we shouldn't reveal everything, but we should at least inform Bernhard that the Tileans are close to the west and that therefore he shouldn't expect an orc attack on that flank. There are a lot of greenskins and he'll need as full a picture as we can provide to win."

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard shook his head.

"The Brotherhood of Magritta isn't there to fight greenskins. If you tell Bernhard about them, it's only going to make him wonder what they're doing there and if you somehow do convince him that he's safe from being attacked from the west, it'll just mean he's going to be unprepared if he is attacked from that side."

He glanced over to where Bernhard was speaking to his men. "Telling him won't make him any safer and it wont make fighting the greenskins any easier. It'd just risk earning the captain's ire."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2015-07-16 at 09:56 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Titan in the Playground

Elsabeth Holt

Elsa nodded. "Sieghard makes good points. Let's mind our own business. It's no use warning people about what they don't need to fear."

"Let's get some rest, shall we? We'll leave at first light. I want to get as close to Mirino as possible before we set up camp tomorrow night."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

23. - Top - End - #1013

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert didn't looked pleased but reluctantly nodded. He prepared to settle down for the night.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming we're camping with the soldiers? Anyway I'm ready to move on til the morning.

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Titan in the Playground

The party settled down to what turned out to be a noisy night. The villagers were curious about so many new arrivals, and the soldiers were "curious" about them too - mainly the younger, female portion of the population. Loud voices and lights persisted well past sundown, Bernhard and his officers working hard to keep order until the camp finally quietened down.

Aubentag, 31st Pflugzeit

It was two more days' travel to reach Last Water, and Viggo was glad that in the end they went swiftly. Leaving Caerfort behind them still crawling with Evatt's men, the party headed west under unsettled skies, eyes open for the threat of raiders on the road. Thankfully none appeared.

It was late in the day on Aubentag when the gates of Mirino finally hove into view, at the end of a long and dusty slog up the Winding Pass. Sforza's palace was looking a little more complete than when they had last seen it, the Captain's colours flying proudly above the walls. The guards on duty tried to charge them the gate toll, but quickly relented when they recognised Elsa. Coated in the dust of the trail, Adelbert had thought she might have been hard to recognise - but then she'd never taken the greatest care for her appearance when she was living in Mirino either.

Passing through the gates and courtyards of the palace, they found themselves looking down on the narrow streets of the town, and the fertile bowl of Last Water beyond. They were back.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

25. - Top - End - #1015

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

More than anything Adelbert wanted to be away to the comfort of his (Krucke's) loft but he realized he'd have to accompany Elsa as she delivered her report... indeed he recalled with grim awareness he was still technically a prisoner of sorts. Maybe he should have gone on his way after all...

Tiredly he turned to Kaja: "Go home to your mother boy, I'm sure she's been missing you and will amazed how you've grown. I'll see you in the morning."

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Titan in the Playground

Elsabeth Holt

Elsa almost immediately headed towards the castle. "The Captain will want a report. We may not have the book of necromancy, but this was far from a complete waste of time..." She started counting on her fingers. "We have a book that'll help me better use my powers. We have some leads about the book of necromancy. We know where and when to find the Lost Library, which is useful whether or not the book is there. We have a witness of the Norscans' advance on Savonne, who saw one of them turn into a wolf... What else have we learned?"
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2015-07-17 at 02:14 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"You should tell Sforza that Evatt's men are in Caerfort. They may be allies, but he would still want to know."

More than anything, Sieghard would've loved a chance to rest and fill his stomach, but he doubted he would be given that option.

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Titan in the Playground

Kaja did as he was told, running off downhill towards his mother's hovel. When the boy was out of sight, the rest of the party went in search of the Captain. Passing through the western courtyard, Ludo noticed that the archery butts were out. Sforza's men must have been putting the halfling levy through their paces recently - from the way the arrows embedded in each target were clustered around the bullseye, it looked like the effort was beginning to pay off.

Heading into the palace, they were intercepted by a soldier from the Iron Company, who took a moment or two to recognise Elsa. When he did, he asked them to wait by a thick door as he hurried off to see if the Captain would receive them.

It was quite a long wait. Standing silently in the echoing stone corridor, they listened for the sound of returning footsteps. Instead, they made out the faint strains of what sounded like a furious argument. It sounded like Irene and the Captain were having another one of their fights.

At last, they heard approaching feet - but from the wrong direction. Turning the corner behind them, the tall, bearded figure of Doctor Bianco stopped in surprise as he saw them standing there.

"Fraulein Hildebrand," he said, in overly-precise Reikspiel. He gave a polite inclination of his head. "You have returned." Though he spoke to Elsa, his eyes seemed to wander over the others first.

At that moment - before they could exchange any further pleasantries - the door opened. Showing them through, the soldier who had led them inside paused as he saw Bianco - the doctor shook his head and waved a hand, deferring his own business with the Captain until later. The last they saw of him was his black-gowned back receding back down the corridor.

~

Sforza received them in the low-ceilinged war room that Elsa had seen once before. There was no sign of Irene, but Carraciolo and a couple of armed Tileans stood by, looking as if they had been hastily summoned. Elsa approached the Captain freely, but the mercenaries by the door made it subtly clear that Sieghard and the others should keep a respectful distance.

Walking around the big table - now bare of the maps she had seen before - Sforza greeted Elsa with a bright, brittle smile. "You come back to us!" he said, clasping her forearm in a close handshake as he patted her on the shoulder with his left hand. "How is it you say it, eh? Not a moment too soon. At least, if the reports from the north are to be believed."

Steering her around the table towards to where Carraciolo stood, he lowered his voice. "But you must have news of your own, no? Come, tell us. These men can be trusted," he added, indicating the guards that stood with them. "They have no interest in books, do they Giovanni?"

"Oh, that is not fair, Captain," responded Carraciolo with a dutiful grin. "I'm sure Giorgio would appreciate the kindling on a cold night." Sforza smiled, but the smile was brief.

"So," he said, turning back to Elsa. "Tell us what you found."
    Last edited by LCP; 2015-07-19 at 04:06 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Titan in the Playground

Elsabeth Holt

Elsa drew herself up. “The trip was a mixed success, Captain,” she reported in Tilean, deciding Sforza would appreciate a straight answer. “We do not have the book. We did, however, manage to trace its whereabouts. I’m reasonably confident that my friends and I are the only ones who know where to find it. I can explain now, or provide a written report for your eyes only. Please understand, Captain, that the book right now is probably safe for a century, but if what I’m about to tell you reaches the wrong ears, it may not be safe for a month.”

She paused to let Sforza decide how he wanted his report.

(Assuming Sforza tells her to continue)

Ready to stop talking anytime the Captain thought she was edging too close to sensitive territory, Elsa provided a detailed account of the book’s presumed whereabouts; Nath, Gilbertus, the Illuminated Order, and the Lost Library. She also described how and where they had come across each and every piece of the puzzle – The Black City of the Dead Hills, the hedge wizard’s journal (which she provided), Tales of the Illuminated Order, Griswold, and so on. She gave credit where credit was due, such as the book-delving done by Ludo and Adelbert, as well as Viggo’s neat hypnotic trick on Griswold. The only thing she left out of her verbal report was where and when the elusive Lost Library appeared; she contented herself with saying that they were in possession of that particular information. She also failed to mention their three meetings with Beatrix Fassbender and their side trip to Gilbertus’s manse.

Spoiler
    Show
    I’m consolidating all of Elsa’s report in a single post, but Sforza (or anyone else) is free to interrupt at any time.

“Among the books and scrolls we came across,” Elsa went on, “was a tome of pyromancy. I have it in my bag. It’s of little use to anyone but me, but I’ve learned enough from it to make the entire trip worth my while, believe me.”

“One last thing… You’re surely aware by now that the Norscans are marching on Savonne. We met them when they took Ravenskird. At least one of them, the warrior woman known as Kelda Wave-Born, can turn into a wolf at will. Possibly a hedge witch with an affinity with the wind of Beasts.”
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Titan in the Playground

Sforza and Carraciolo listened intently to Elsa's account of the journey. The Captain seemed to have little time for the details of how the others had helped, impatiently brushing those details aside.

The only thing she left out of her verbal report was where and when the elusive Lost Library appeared; she contented herself with saying that they were in possession of that particular information.
    That was clearly not enough to content the Tileans. Sforza and Carraciolo exchanged a meaningful glance, and Carraciolo motioned to the guards standing around the room. As one, they turned and left, gently but forcefully propelling the rest of the party with them. The door closed behind them with a heavy slam.

Elsa All Alone

Spoiler
    Show
    <And?> said Sforza, waiting expectantly for an answer.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb