The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown IV

Ludo etc
    Spoiler
    Show
    <"See what price we can get."> Ludo said, deciding not to reveal their true purpose in case Greenapple also spoke the language.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard glanced from Ludo to Elsa with a raised eyebrow.

"Well?"

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

I Promise to Speak The Whole Tooth..

Spoiler
    Show
    Viggo felt his breath catch as Greenapple produced the huge fang. Imagine the size of the beast that used to have a row of them! However, he followed Elsa's lead, doing his best to not seem overly excited about a real life dragons tooth sat in a box right before him. He nodded along as Elsa and Ludo started babbling, pretending he could understand every word. "Hmm, yes just so."

Viggo tapped his lips, pretending to be deep in thought. "Well Herr Greenapple, I did say I was his least favourite grandson if you recall?" Viggo grinned broadly. "My stern faced friend here is correct," He inclined his head in Sieghards' direction. "Fifty crowns would seem like a most reasonable price. If I may be so bold, how much have these desperate lovers offered you and for that matter the original buyer? I only ask so as to know whether or not we'd be wasting each others time here." Viggo was actually starting to quite enjoy playing this part. This posh accent suits me I think, lends me an air sophistication!

OOC

Spoiler
    Show

Charm Test to see if he'll reveal those prices?

FEL 43 - (1d100)[41]
    Re-roll - (1d100)[44]
    Last edited by Northern Lad; 2015-01-30 at 05:49 AM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Viggo, Ludo, Elsa & Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    Greenapple gave a dry chuckle, and closed the box.

"Well, you're certainly wasting mine with fifty," he said. "I told you my price. Now you can either make me a reasonable offer - and I mean reasonable - or you can take your money and go." He took the box down off the desk. "I only put this out there because I thought I wasn't getting paid what it was really worth, I'm not about to take less."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Jasper's a businessman, he has no reason to reveal that information just because you asked nicely.

The skill you're looking for is Haggle!

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Skimming through the book, Adelbert caught a glimpse of Gilbertus, but nothing of the Karst Coven or their strongholds. Perhaps he'd just missed them, but they certainly weren't prominently mentioned.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Give me a Read/Write test please.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

5. - Top - End - #215

Spoiler
    Show

Viggo winced and replied carefully, doing his best to appease the diminutive merchant. "As with all negotiations Herr Greenapple, this is just a matter of finding a price that is reasonable for both parties, don't you agree? A man of your shrewdness will obviously not end up concluding a deal for less gold than he has already been offered eh?" Viggo took a couple of paces backwards and forwards, trying to look like a man who shopped for dragon's teeth everyday.

"Which is why I asked what these other offers were, it gives the pair of us a starting point from which to begin no?" Viggo's left eye turned away from the Halfling, seemingly already bored of the proceedings. "But to help things along the way I propose a price of seventy five gold crowns." That seemed like a huge amount to Viggo, but since I have no intention of buying the damn thing, the price hardly matters does it?

"I'd be very surprised if either of your potential buyers have offered that much for this item?" He crossed his arms and regarded the Halfling, hoping that he came across as more astute than his years might imply.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

Untrained Haggle Test:

FEL 21 - (1d100)[12]
    RE-Roll - (1d100)[33]

Last edited by Northern Lad; 2015-01-30 at 08:01 AM.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Greenapple sucked in air between his teeth and shook his head.

"I'm afraid you're going to have to do better than that," he said. "The original buyer offered me ninety."

Getting stuck into the cut and thrust of negotiation with some enthusiasm, Viggo managed to haggle the halfling's asking price down to a hundred and sixty crowns. Below that, Greenapple would not budge.
    Last edited by LCP; 2015-01-30 at 08:39 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

7. - Top - End - #217

Spoiler
    Show

Viggo was left feeling like he'd been put through a mangle. Even though no money was actually going to exchange hands he felt it only right that he put up as good a show as he could offer up and he was positive, that if the negotiations had been real, Greenapple would have had the shirt off of his back. Gods alone know how traders do this every bloody day! he wondered wryly to himself.

"A shame Herr Greenapple," Viggo concluded, "but it appears as if we will not be able to conclude this business today." Viggo adopted a mournful expression. And then an idea struck him. Risky, but maybe worth a shot! "If I may be so bold Herr Greenapple, I'd recommend that you take the ninety you were offered. The price is right and you won't be running the risk of having a disappointed lover on your hands as Elsa here pointed out!"

He cast a crafty glance back to the merchant. "Besides I have not been totally honest with you sir. You are not the only person selling a dragons' tooth in Savonne, as odd as that may seem. I myself have a contact who has tentatively agreed a price of only one hundred crowns. I was hoping to capitalise on their seeming abundance by purchasing yours at a cheaper price." Viggo spread his hands wide in a gesture of long suffering patience. "Alas, it was not to be! Seems I'll have to seek out this Klammenberg fellow and take him up on his offer."

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

With that roll, it's nothing but the tooth
    Spoiler
    Show
    In Ludo's official salesman's opinion, Viggo was either a genius or a madman. For now, he transferred his force of will into not raising his eyebrows or rolling his eyes.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Frowning, Greenapple looked hard at Viggo.

"You're saying someone named Klammenberg has tried to sell you a tooth like this?

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    For crafty lies it is Charm.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #220

Spoiler
    Show

Viggo did his best to seem surprised at Greenapple's interest. "Well, not as such. For a start I hardly know if it is a tooth exactly like this when I have yet to see it and secondly it is more a case of me trying to buy than him attempting to sell."

He shrugged, as if to say what will be will be. "But I am more than confident that he will agree to our terms, he seemed amenable in our..." Viggo searched frantically through his brain for the right word.. "Correspondence?" The young lad raised a questioning eyebrow, "Why do you know the chap? Perhaps you could point us in his direction?"

OOC

Spoiler
    Show

Charm Test:

FEL 43 - (1d100)[44]
    RE-Roll - (1d100)[77]
    Edit: ooooh that hurts!

Last edited by Northern Lad; 2015-01-30 at 11:50 AM.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    "Heard about this Klammenberg from the same man who told us about you," Sieghard said, fighting to hold back a powerful urge to punch Viggo.

"If you aren't willing to sell for a reasonable price, we'll just track him down and pay him a visit. If what we were told is right, he has no reputation he's so worried about protecting that he'd demand such a ridiculous price for it."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2015-01-30 at 01:21 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Greenapple squinted long and hard at Viggo, as if trying to read something written on the back of his eyeballs.

"Klammenberg," he said, "is the name of the man who asked me to get this thing for him in the first place. I didn't get the impression his interest in it was just in the resale value."

"So let's get this straight. You say you - your grandfather - wants to buy this piece, but my price is too high. You'll say you'll go to Klammenberg, the man who asked me to get it in the first place, and you'll buy from him. Meaning either that you're just paying him to be the middle-man, or Herr Klammenberg is just rolling in dragon teeth." He tilted his head to one side. "Either way, that doesn't seem to hang together."

With a sigh, he sat back in his chair. "Look, friend, my cards are on the table. I'm in this to make a profit. If you don't think it's worth any more to you than it is to him, I'll sell to him. Maybe that is what it's worth. I thought if I was missing something about the true value of this thing, maybe putting it on the market would bring out someone who knew. Doesn't seem to have happened so far."

He spread his hands. "So, do we have any business to discuss, or don't we?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    "Klammenberg is a buyer?" Sieghard asked, feigning confusion "Not another seller?"

Sieghard shook his head.

"Not for a hundred and sixty. The lad made his offer. A dragon's tooth might not be the easiest thing to find, but for more than that we can look elsewhere."

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard, Viggo, Ludo & Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    "Please, feel free," said Greenapple, extending a hand in the direction of the door. Behind them, the floorboards creaked as Kragg got 'quietly' to his feet.

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Savonne: The Greatest City In The Border Princes was a book that believed in its title. It appeared to have been written fairly recently, in the immediate aftermath of Prince Belehir's rise to power, and the author - one Lena Knopf - took great pains to set out how the great city of Savonne deserved to throw off the nickname of "Wolf Pit".

...if anything, the temporary troubles caused by Duke Wulf's illness have led to a lot of empty houses for new arrivals to move into, and the Great Fire of 2520 has cleared out most of the rats in the west quarter...

Once you got past the writer's enthusiasm and eccentricities, however, the book did seem to be fairly rich in information. Unfortunately, the excessive focus on Savonne - and how great it was - meant that details of historical events beyond the city walls were incredibly sparse by comparison to the obsessive cataloguing of local characters and landmarks.

Reaching Knopf's description of the war with Gilbertus, Adelbert was unsurprised to see the renegade priest painted as a dyed-in-the-wool villain. More interestingly, Knopf had the names of several of the other players in the war against the warlock - Savonne's ruler of the time, and a few of his advisors who Adelbert thought might well be among the founding members of the Illuminated Order. Knopf didn't paint them as such, but then Adelbert wasn't sure she quite understood the assistance these "sages" had given against Gilbertus. It would make sense for the Order's formation not to be common knowledge...
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

Adelbert Schreiber

Spoiler
    Show
    Given the dating the book was written, at most, three years ago and given the content Frau (or Fraulein) Knopf could hardly be living elsewhere than The Greatest City In The Border Princes, so...

Adelbert closed the book and stood up, looking decisive.

"Come on Kaja, we have an author to find." Adelbert led his apprentice out of the inn and towards the market.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert is looking to find info on Lena Knopf and, if she still lives, her address. He'll ask around places that probably deal with scriviners - anyone selling ink or paper in the market, an out and out scribe if he sees one and Fulk's shop in the Warren.

Gossip test: (1d100)[75] vs. 36
    FP re-roll if needed: (1d100)[58] vs. 36
    Last edited by RossN; 2015-01-31 at 06:05 PM.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    At this time of day, the flow of people heading back into the city through the north gate was quite dense. Adelbert had to shoulder his way through the crowd to make progress, Kaja trailing behind him through the gaps he made.

Skirting the high walls of the castle, Adelbert reached the busy square that did its best to contain the city's central marketplace. Beginning his enquiries, he didn't have much success - for once, he found himself missing the provincial scale of Mirino, where everyone knew everybody else's name.

A trader who dealt in inks and dyes had never heard the name of Knopf, but did her best to convince Adelbert to buy some of her wares. A man selling sheepskins and parchment was similarly nonplussed, and offered Adelbert a fine woolen rug, half price. By now thoroughly jostled and turned about by the punters at the other stalls, Adelbert abandoned the square and went to try his luck at Fulk's instead.

As a neighbourhood, the Warren lived up to its name. Ramshackle clay-brick houses leaned close to one another, dividing the muddy streets into a maze of dirty alleyways. Keeping the distinctive belltower of the Great Hospital on his left, Adelbert kept Kaja close to him as he headed into the slums, stepping around puddles of stagnant water and less pleasant things. There were far more beggars here than in the Old Town, many of them with the same strange red stains around their gums he had noticed on the man outside Al-Khansa's.

Fulk's establishment was nestled in an extremely narrow street behind the hospital, the buildings crowded so close to either side that it was sure to be in shadow any time that the sun was not directly overhead. Picking it out by its faded sign, Adelbert pushed open the peeling door and stepped inside.

The shop was dark and dusty. Books stood in stacks, many with cracked spines and shed pages in a shameful state of decay. There were no shelves, just piles of the things, sometimes tied together with string into tall blocks. A single fallen candle and the whole place would surely go up in flames.

Peeking up from behind a dusty wooden counter like a mouse edging cautiously out of its hole, a little wiry man in a leather cap peered at them, perhaps hoping they hadn't yet seen him. With a pinched face full of stubble, he might have been anything from twenty-five to forty-five. As he squinted at the newcomers, Adelbert had a sudden image of what Herr Krucke might have looked like in his younger days.

"Mon dieu! Customers," exclaimed the man, straightening up and scuttling over towards them with an eagerness that was as alarming as it was sudden. He spoke with a thick Bretonnian accent, but his Reikspiel seemed passable. "Please, please, come in. Look around." Shifting a stack of mouldering volumes that was blocking Adelbert's path, he dusted off the front of his clothes and took a good look at his visitors. "What is it Thibault can do for you, messieurs?"

Getting straight the point, Adelbert asked the shabby bookseller if he could direct him to Lena Knopf. Fulk put his head to one side and looked puzzled.

"Of course, m'sieur, it would be my pleasure to assist you - but that is not a name I am, ah, familiar with, you say, yes?" He glanced around him. "This lady, she lives in these parts?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

Adelbert Schreiber

Spoiler
    Show
    "Well so I assumed," Adelbert admitted. "Perhaps it is a pen name. Monsieur Fulk, do you know of any writers who might have had a hand in such a work?"

He handed over the copy for the bookseller to investigate.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Fulk took the book as if he'd been handed a brick. He turned it over, but didn't open it.

"I - ahem - I don't know if I can help you, m'sieur. I don't know who makes these things, I just sell them." Peering at the book's cover as if he could read it all from there, he nodded sagely before handing it back. "Perhaps, if there is a book like it you would like to buy...?"

He let the sentence trail off hopefully, eyes flicking sideways to the mounds of mouldering paper all around them.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

19. - Top - End - #229

Sieghard, Viggo, Ludo & Elsa

Spoiler
    Show

"It's as he says." Viggo indicated in Sieghard's direction. "It appears it would be cheaper to have Herr Klammenberg act as a middle man than to ask you to risk your reputation." Viggo spread his hands wide an innocent look upon his face. "No harm done though Herr Greenapple eh? At least we have been able to confirm that the tooth is real and now you know you're not being bilked on the price?"

Viggo cast an uneasy glance at Kragg. "At the very least, we have hopefully.. Expedited.. the deal?" He'd heard Klammenberg use the phrase the night before and although he wasn't exactly sure what it meant, it was obviously the type of thing an educated sort of fellow might say. "The sooner you sell to Herr Klammenberg the sooner I can get back to my Grandfather." Viggo paused as if pondering. "If I were to pay your price Herr Greenapple, the crotchety old miser would only use his extra years to moan about their cost! I shall seek out Klammenberg and tell him to pay you a visit at once."

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

Adelbert Schreiber

Spoiler
    Show
    Trying to hide his disappointment Adelbert smiled and shook his head. He was nearly broke as it was, though at least this bookseller was less rude than the other one.

"Thank you but I will have to discuss matters with my companions. I'll probably be back though."

Regretfully he returned to the inn to await developments from his companions. Knopf's trail had run cold but he'd try the cartographer in the morning... after getting money from the others. Adelbert was beginning to wonder if he should look at renting a stall; it certainly seemed like he'd need to actually make money if they were to stay in Savonne for another few days.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Viggo, Sieghard, Elsa & Ludo

Spoiler
    Show
    Greenapple peered at Viggo for a moment or two, as if the entertainer were a puzzle he was trying to piece together.

"I don't know what your game is, young man," he said at last, "but I'm happy to leave you to play it with yourself." He pushed himself back from the desk. "I think our business here is done. Good day to you, friends."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Tooth
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo sighed. "What a shame that the name of Greenapple is no longer to be relied upon in such a way. I don't look forward to informing Tallbert that once again a halfling in the reaches will throw away his reputation for money."

He stood. "We'll have to tell Herr Klammenberg that he was right."

23. - Top - End - #233

Viggo, Sieghard, Elsa & Ludo

Spoiler
    Show

"I think our business here is done. Good day to you, friends."
    "Indeed it is Herr Greenapple, I thank you for you patience." Viggo made an elaborate bow, red cloak flaring out behind him. "As I said we'll go and find Herr Klammenberg and point him in your direction."

Viggo placed a hand on Ludo's shoulder and looked down at him sympathetically, "Worry not Ludo, I'm sure Herr Greenapple's intentions are all above board." He turned to leave but then turned back to the merchant. "Just out of interest, who were these lads who were going to grind the tooth down? I'd like to have a word in their ear about what a waste that would be! Elsa here, can probably name a dozen better love potions for them to try first!"

OOC

Spoiler
    Show

Charm Test:

FEL 43 - (1d100)[100]

Edit: Yeah... I'll re-roll that OOC!

Last edited by Northern Lad; 2015-02-03 at 10:23 AM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo, Viggo, Elsa & Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    Raising a forestalling hand to Viggo, Greenapple furrowed his brow at Ludo.

"Sorry," he said, "right about what?" A suspicious expression crossed his face. "This is all starting to smell damn fishy to me. What's your connection to him?" He paused, Ludo's words clearly having thrown him off-balance. "And Tallfellow? Talbert Tallfellow? What's he got to do with this?"

A subtle shift in Kragg's stooped posture implied that perhaps they were no longer welcome to leave.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

LVES
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo had the horrible feeling, familiar to all halflings, of having put his foot in something sticky.

"Herr Klammenberg suspected you were selling elsewhere, that's all, though those weren't the words he used. And Tallfellow, yes. I won't pretend that I had any reason being here other than what my friends have already explained... but I was curious to meet one of the remaining Greenapples. Talbert has... strong words about the halflings outside Last Water in the reaches."

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

ELVS

Spoiler
    Show
    "I've never known Talbert have strong words about anything," said Greenapple. "Has he got pompous as well as lazy, then? And after all I've done for him."

Getting down from his chair, Greenapple disappeared for a moment behind the desk, before walking around to stand face-to-face with Ludo. He examined the younger halfling's face with interest. Though still suspicious, he didn't seem angry.

"Well, you go back to Herr Klammenberg then, if you're such good friends with him. Tell him the goods have arrived." A small smile quirked the corner of his mouth. "Oh, and tell him the price has gone up."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

LEVS
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Such is business." Ludo said sadly. He looked at the others, to see if they were done.
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2015-02-03 at 02:42 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    Without another word, Sieghard grabbed Ludo and Viggo by their shoulders and pulled them towards the door.

He held his tongue until they were well away from the docks before rounding on the two of them.

"You," he said glaring at Viggo, "What the hell did you think you were going to accomplish mentioning Klammenberg!? I said not to say anything about him before we even went in. What made you think bringing him up was going to help!? And you," he continued, turning to Ludo, "Failing to get the damned tooth would've been one thing, but because you opened your fool mouth, he raised the price! As far as he knew before that, we were just other buyers who only knew about Klammenberg through word of mouth."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2015-02-03 at 06:27 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Firbolg in the Playground

Elsa, Sieghard, Ludo and Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    "I don't think there's much point in arguing over it now, Sieghard," said Elsa wearily. "All I can say is that the tooth is real enough. Never seen one before, but I could feel it was real."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

30. - Top - End - #240

VELS

Spoiler
    Show

"No need to get all shouty is there?" Viggo grumbled sullenly, rubbing at his shoulder trying not to pout as the grizzled mercenary delivered his admonishment. "You could end up breaking a chaps shoulder dragging him about like that."

"I thought I was doing the right thing?" Viggo's voice still sounded petulant "You know... expediting.. it? Like Klammenberg asked?" Seeing an opportunity to shift the blame, he pointed an accusatory finger at Ludo. "And I was going alright too, until Ludo decided to tell Greenapple who we working for!"

Viggo shifted uncomfortably under Sieghards gaze. "Besides" he mumbled. "We did what were asked to do. Find out if the Halfling has the tooth, he asked us, and that whats we've done." Viggo's cheeks reddened. "No need to mention him raising the price on our account is there?" he finished in an embarrassed rush.