New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Coming up with a spell list

Still unsure whether to make my daggerspell mage a sorcerer or wizard, seeing as how spells are used mainly for combat I was thinkin of sorcerer so Id have more to use everyday...and I wont be the doing all the madness a wizard does...
    but onto topic...
    touch spells...I am of the opinion that from what I see so far, the save DC's are terribly low (at least for this character) my int isnt top priority cause im not straight caster..so uh..unless theres a way to increase the DC's I wont be using the dedbuff ones. It seems like, as a striker class as it is, the spells more akin to shocking grasp and burning hands will be the ones I use more frequently for the extra damage. But aside from those two, I dont really know what touch spells would work. Theres a lot of spells, spread through various books and I have yet to find a source that lists all the spells in 3.5 for reference.

I also think rays would be really good. I dont beleive they require an empty hand to cast, and what with daggerspell mages abilities, you can do the somatic components without probem. Now I know that rays are a good good thing, as far as i know they have no saves and they could be useful as battlefield control, and allowing the character to be able to do something while retreating to safety or the like. playing this character like a rogue, so hit for high damage and run is the idea i was goin for.

I only know the spells from core, but what I got so far is..
    Shocking Grasp
    Burning Hands
    Ray of exhaustion
    Ray of enfeeblement
    Ghoul Touch
    Darkness (could get creative with this, and character has darkvision as well)

and thats all i got so far actually.

Im still not too familiar with casters.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Coming up with a spell list

Quote Originally Posted by Tabris92 View Post
    Still unsure whether to make my daggerspell mage a sorcerer or wizard, seeing as how spells are used mainly for combat I was thinkin of sorcerer so Id have more to use everyday...and I wont be the doing all the madness a wizard does...
    but onto topic...
    touch spells...I am of the opinion that from what I see so far, the save DC's are terribly low (at least for this character) my int isnt top priority cause im not straight caster..so uh..unless theres a way to increase the DC's I wont be using the dedbuff ones. It seems like, as a striker class as it is, the spells more akin to shocking grasp and burning hands will be the ones I use more frequently for the extra damage. But aside from those two, I dont really know what touch spells would work. Theres a lot of spells, spread through various books and I have yet to find a source that lists all the spells in 3.5 for reference.

I also think rays would be really good. I dont beleive they require an empty hand to cast, and what with daggerspell mages abilities, you can do the somatic components without probem. Now I know that rays are a good good thing, as far as i know they have no saves and they could be useful as battlefield control, and allowing the character to be able to do something while retreating to safety or the like. playing this character like a rogue, so hit for high damage and run is the idea i was goin for.

I only know the spells from core, but what I got so far is..
    Shocking Grasp
    Burning Hands
    Ray of exhaustion
    Ray of enfeeblement
    Ghoul Touch
    Darkness (could get creative with this, and character has darkvision as well)

and thats all i got so far actually.

Im still not too familiar with casters.
    Depends on the levels you plan for. In my experienced in combat quickened lvl 1 and 2 spells can easily trump standard action lvl 5 and 6 spells, and sorc can't quicken (well, not without using a full round) but this is not relevant for all campaigns. However if playing very intensive campaigns with very little downtime the wizard is very much at a disadvantage compared to the sorcerer.

Personally I prefer the wizard. There are many situations where a sorcerer is better (and a sorc is almost always better in theoretical builds for theoretical situations). But the wizard (in my eyes) is just more fun: You get to "be anything" and it is really fun to chase spells.
    Last edited by Scipio_77; 2014-12-16 at 06:00 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Coming up with a spell list

Quote Originally Posted by Scipio_77 View Post
    Depends on the levels you plan for. In my experienced in combat quickened lvl 1 and 2 spells can easily trump standard action lvl 5 and 6 spells, and sorc can't quicken (well, not without using a full round) but this is not relevant for all campaigns. However if playing very intensive campaigns with very little downtime the wizard is very much at a disadvantage compared to the sorcerer.

Personally I prefer the wizard. There are many situations where a sorcerer is better (and a sorc is almost always better in theoretical builds for theoretical situations). But the wizard (in my eyes) is just more fun: You get to "be anything" and it is really fun to chase spells.
    I think i am going to go for wizard, cause the added bonus I get being more skill points, does allow me to skill monkey (which has pretty much always been my role in my group of friends)
    plus, being able to change things up for any occasion is definitely invaluable.

Now I just need to get a list of what I need. Ive come up with a list so far, but the problem im seeing is...action economy. Most spells are standard actions and quickened increases a spell slot by 4, so...yea i have a lot of these spells but most are level 2 and a couple are 3, so Its gonna be awhile till I can quicken anything.

Dont mind some of the shortened descriptions of these, this was merely for my own reference. I memorized what most of these did (hence the ones not detailed out)
    The idea I think ima go with.
    Touch spells for damage, and some for debuffs (though the save dc is gonna be low) and ray spells for debuffs and some for damage.
    The way I figure, I can channel spells into daggers so they when I do attack they do a bit more damage, but before that I can lessen the threat with spells like Ray of Enfeeblement.

Spoiler: Spells
    Show

Level 0

level 1
    Blades of Fire. 1d8 fire damage (swift)
    Chill touch One touch/level deals 1d6 damage and possibly 1 Str damage.
    Corrosive Grasp 1d8 acid dmg
    Mage Armor +4 ac
    True Strike +20 to hit.
    shocking grasp 5d6
    Ray of enfeeblement 1d6+1 /2 levels Str damage (1d6+3)

level 2
    Heroics Gain a fighter Bonus feat (not sure what ima use this for, but it seems it could be useful at some point)
    Hurtl Weapon returns
    Infernal Wound 2 HP every turn/level
    Burning Sword 1d6 1minute/level
    Combust 1d8 fire dmg/level Ref save 15 or be caught on fire
    Balancing Lorecall (with 10 ranks in balance, balance on any surface)
    Touch if idiocy. 1d6 INT WIS CHA

level 3
    Devlins Venom Blade (1d4 str damage. again after 1 minute
    Dimension Step. Teleport up to base land speed.

level 4
    Bestow Curse. -6 ability score/ -4 atk rolls
    Corporeal Instability. Turns subject into a sponge basically