1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Would this be the right thing tell anyone who's looking for help in their hobbies?

If someone was stalled or stressed about a personal project of their's and they asked you for help, would you tell that person "maybe you're not meant to do that"? I'd really like to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    It's worse than the time some friends used a silver piece, a platinum piece, a delayed blast fireball and a scroll of passwall to make a nuclear explosion in a game...
    Quote Originally Posted by nagora View Post
    Chatter is usually a sign that it's time to break out the Lego pirates and start firing marbles at each other's ships instead of role playing. Some nights, we're just not in the mood!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Would this be the right thing tell anyone who's looking for help in their hobbies

Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa View Post
    If someone was stalled or stressed about a personal project of their's and they asked you for help, would you tell that person "maybe you're not meant to do that"? I'd really like to know.
    I wouldn't if it were a hobby. No one needs to be good at a hobby to enjoy it. I might if it were a profession though.
    I used to be with 'it'. Then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what 'it' is, is scary and weird. It'll happen to yooouuu. - Abraham Simpson, proud member of the Fighting Hellfish.

Project NOAH is a very cool site for those interested in nature and/or photography. My spottings can be seen here.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Would this be the right thing tell anyone who's looking for help in their hobbies

Yeah, I agree. If it's their actual job then yes, feel free to tell them they can't cut it and they should be looking for something else. If it's just something they're doing in their free time, then leave them be.

4. - Top - End - #4

I'd be pretty reluctant to tell someone, essentially, "stop creating" without a very good reason. Like, ok, maybe if they're on the verge of a total mental meltdown over it. But even then I think "maybe you should take a break" would be more constructive. Or see if they could get some advice from a relevant expert.
    Avatar by the one and only Ceika.
    "I'll be whatever I wanna do." - Philip J. Fry
    my fake wizard|my fake one-shot|my fake link

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

It would depend on the hobby, obviously, but...

"Take a break, hobbies are meant to relieve stress, not cause it. You've gotten too close and too serious, relax, do something else for a while, the answer will come to you."

It probably sounds cliche, but it's hard to go wrong with "relax".
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile (A campaign setting)
    Under Construction: Fighter, Monk, Rogue, and Ranger revamps.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I would listen - a lot - before I said anything. There's a lot of missing information here.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by nyjastul69 View Post
    I wouldn't if it were a hobby. No one needs to be good at a hobby to enjoy it. I might if it were a profession though.
    Really? I would suggest the exact opposite. Hobbies are supposed to be for fun, so if you're getting all bent out of shape over one you're not doing it right. On the other hand, it just comes with the territory that jobs, even good ones, occasionally have tight deadlines or problems that are going to stress you out. Nobody should have to feel stressed all the time, but a job is worth weathering some occasional stress for.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Never the first time, but at some point if someone is having repeat crises over the same hobby, I might try to delicately suggest that they pursue something else.
    Lawyer Pony by DirtyTabs

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Fred's a talking horse, he can do whatever he wants."

Fred: "I want to steal"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    I would listen - a lot - before I said anything. There's a lot of missing information here.
    For instance: is this hobby something they're doing purely for their own enjoyment, or is there someone else involved, or liable to become involved later? (E.g. are they making something for someone else? Because there might very well be Right and Wrong ways to do that.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by warrl View Post
    "They didn't change the alignment system, they just augmented its inherent weaknesses and limitations with a few gaping holes."
    "Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed." - G K Chesterton

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Sure. I'd phrase it differently, but sure. If someone's doing a hobby, and it's causing stress and worry, well, maybe it's not the ideal hobby, and something else might be more relaxing/fulfilling. Sure, give it a good go before giving up on it, but swapping hobbies is entirely fine.
    Back from a lengthy vacation from Giantitp. I've been dabbling with 3d printer technology and game design, PM if you're curious.

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimization."

New: Tyndmyr has a game shop!

11. - Top - End - #11

DruidGirl

Depends on what it is. If they have arthritic fingers and went into knitting, or a bad back and insist on building a log cabin from scratch, I might tell them to better do something else.

Other things, like just feeling exhausted from trying to build Buckingham Palace with matches, or copying the Mona Lisa in cross-stitch, I would just remind them that it is just a hobby and they're allowed to take a break.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2015-01-01 at 07:06 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.