New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: What's the one book you wish you HADN'T bought?

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post
    This is true. Unfortunately, whatever else it may have been (and I personally like it a lot), 9 Swords was primarily Wizards' way of playtesting a bunch of ideas they wanted to use for 4E while also making money. They were never going to support it because any success it had was just going to usher in 4E that much quicker.
    This. TOB reads to me as 4e Lite. If I wanted 4e, I would play 4e.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kalasulmar View Post
    This. TOB reads to me as 4e Lite. If I wanted 4e, I would play 4e.
    It's more like vice versa. Lots of 4e abilities felt like ToB lite. If I wanted to play 4e, I would go play ToB.
    All work I do is CC-BY-SA. Copy it wherever you want as long as you credit me.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Susano-wo View Post
    My ears perked up when I saw people mention that the Mini Handbook had mass combat, cause I need one (well, my group does--I'm not the DM ), but sad to hear that its not a good system
    Have you ever played the D&D miniatures game? Yeah, it's rules for turning your wonderful tabletop RPG into... that.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    The what? Is that a paladin acf from CoV or something?

I knew you were going to says something like this.

The mint is the place a book is minted, and mint condition means it is in condition equal to being fresh off the plate.
    I was very confused when i saw it on the Paizo website. And because non-mint prices are below the PDF versions' prices, i thought it was some king of unmarked PDF, or some kind of premium edition PDF.

Maybe by being a useful party member? Heh.

Naw, I'd choose coffee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Lies and slander. That books is absolute gold! How else am I supposed to fill up my inventory with "just in case" items? How else would my gnome bard have been able to make coffee for the party and thereby prove that he was useful?
    All Hail the Holy Coffee. The greatest beverage that ever was or will be.
    Seriously, isn't there a spell for coffee? Create Food and Water seems limited.

On a completely unrelated note, Siuis. I see several people like Fax and you who have the same kind of square profile picture, with the same kind of art. Where is this from?
    Last edited by Petrocorus; 2014-12-20 at 04:50 PM.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    Have you ever played the D&D miniatures game? Yeah, it's rules for turning your wonderful tabletop RPG into... that.
    I though the mini game was squad based combat using basically D&D rules, with some simplifications for ease of play. What I'm talking about is Army vs Army combat

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Lies and slander. That books is absolute gold! How else am I supposed to fill up my inventory with "just in case" items? How else would my gnome bard have been able to make coffee for the party and thereby prove that he was useful?
    Could not agree more. Spider poles, portable crane, the hang glider, all kinds of great stuff in there. It's got the rules for beer for chris' sakes. How could you dislike the book that has the rules for beer. and coffee. Beer and coffee, mmmmmm.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    On a completely unrelated note, Siuis. I see several people like Fax and you who have the same kind of square profile picture, with the same kind of art. Where is this from?
    It's from the mobile game Puzzle and Dragons. Here's a GitP thread devoted to it.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Susano-wo View Post
    I actually like the idea of different disciplines working off of different stats, though six is a bit much. Hard to rationalize casting off of DEX or STR
    Spoken like someone who's never seen Fullmetal Alchemist or this guy.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

9. - Top - End - #99

Devil

Very familiar with FMA, but Psionics is very much not Alchemy (Armstrong's ability is more akin to ahving a magic item on your fists )
    And yeah Muscle Wizard is funny.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Please, for the love of all that is good and just in the world, tell me that this actually exists somewhere
    Ask and ye shall receive.

Here.

That's the Official D&D Update from the official WotC errata page (archived).

11. - Top - End - #101

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    Ask and ye shall receive.

Here.

That's the Official D&D Update from the official WotC errata page (archived).
    Is it wrong that I want the persons responsible for that awful excuse for being told it's raining while being urinated on, to be forced to listen as I describe in great detail why I hate that and it makes them unprofessional?

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by susano-wo View Post
    i actually like the idea of different disciplines working off of different stats, though six is a bit much. Hard to rationalize casting off of dex or str
    I CAST FIST!

Seriously, 6-stat casting can be pretty fun.
    Last edited by kellbyb; 2014-12-20 at 10:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by A_Moon View Post
    How many times, when the Fighter says "I draw my sword", did you just want to smack that cheating-optimizer in the face and say "No! You don't draw your sword! You draw Orcus!". When the Cleric says "I run away from Orcus!": "No! You run into Orcus! Rogue tries to hide? He hides behind Orcus! The bard in a tavern on the other side the town tries to order a drink? How about a nice frothy mug of Orcus?
    The clone Rudisplorker, doppelganger of Threadnaught.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Madhava View Post
    Miniatures Handbook.

Marshal can be a helpful 1 or 2 level dip, although I've yet to actually make use of this in-game. And Skullclan Hunter always looked serviceable; possibly one of the few decent noncaster Rogue PrC's. But again, haven't ever played one.

Useful, un-reprinted crunch ends right about here, as I see it.
    Strange not to see War Hulk. No BAB progression, but you get +20 to Strength. That's one of the few PrCs I really consider Epic PrCs in disguise: by 21st level you get all your BAB and all you get is Epic Attack Bonus progressions; get a bunch of boosts to Strength, and it's like getting BAB with a free bonus to damage rolls, Strength checks and increase to carrying capacity, minus extra attacks. The others are: Dragon Disciple (for the bonus spell slots after getting 9th level spells), BoED's Wonderworker (ditto, except they also get more PP) and Oriental Adventures' Eunuch Warlock (also free bonus spell slots). Early on, they suck; later on, they rock. Warchief is also funny. Also: Protectar and Ramadeen were never updated (read: two celestials with low CR but without being Tiny, Small, or incorporeal), no other way to get free +8 to natural armor than a Crucian and Alter Self, Kruthiks were pretty awesome...a good deal of the monsters are fairly good. Besides, how I'm gonna convince my girlfriend to play D&D without the healer?
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

14. - Top - End - #104

Advanced Class Guide

Not because I hate the book or anything, but since it doesn't have any fluff of any sort in it (other than two sentences at the start of every chapter I guess), every time I want to look up anything ACG related I just use the pfsrd and I don't think I've touched the actual ACG since everything got printed on there.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Just to Browse View Post
    If I wanted to play 4e, I would go play ToB.
    I think I just found a sig quote.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

Magic of Incarnum, no doubt. I love the book to bits but i just... Dont have the right kind of imagination to work with the tools it gives me.
    I have a million ideas and stories in my head and im looking to get them all out.

"Cleaver" avatar by Bradakhan.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by squiggit View Post
    Advanced Class Guide

Not because I hate the book or anything, but since it doesn't have any fluff of any sort in it (other than two sentences at the start of every chapter I guess), every time I want to look up anything ACG related I just use the pfsrd and I don't think I've touched the actual ACG since everything got printed on there.
    That's true for any of the core product line (i.e. Advanced X or Ultimtate X.) They are specifically designed to be setting-neutral, not that PF has more than one setting anyway.

ACG's first print run completely sold out even so.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

18. - Top - End - #108

The Complete Riding Dog
    What a mongrel.

19. - Top - End - #109

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    That's true for any of the core product line (i.e. Advanced X or Ultimtate X.) They are specifically designed to be setting-neutral, not that PF has more than one setting anyway.

ACG's first print run completely sold out even so.
    Yeah I know, and I'm not blaming everyone. I've just realized that basically every time I want to work on an investigator or arcanist (etc.) I'm on d20pfsrd before I even think about opening the book.

The book itself is awesome and I only have a few minor complaints (ignoring the typos and some classes I don't like the only big one is stuff like the killing flourish feat chain being mysteriously slayer only for no real reason, which is minor stuff).

20. - Top - End - #110
    Halfling in the Playground

Manual of the Planes, not because I was unsatisfied with the content, but because after reading it I instantly felt that all of my campaign settings were horribly and irrevocably inadequate and lacking imagination.
    An awakened giant squid randomly surfaces near boats to ask if they've heard the good word of Pelor, handing out waterlogged and illegible holy scripts to the crew before swimming away.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Orc in the Playground

I sometimes wish I hadn't bought the advanced class guide too, things are cool but seem sort of bland, maybe it's the fact that some of the classes feel forced together. Other days I'm glad I have it for a physical reference, since three guys myself included are playing a hybrid in one game and another member of our group recently converted to a bloodrager. But I don't really see myself using it that much in the future.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Of the ones I personally own, toss up between Heroes of Battle and MM1. HoB because it is primarily a collection of ideas, with precious little crunch. MM1 because all of it that I'd ever want is online. Missing a few things, but not enough to warrant what I paid for it.

Of other books, a number of good contenders have been mentioned. I don't think Epic Level Handbook has been mentioned yet though. It's primarily available online, but on top of that, you could probably take an evening and come up with something better-balanced and more interesting to play.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lsfreak View Post
    MM1 because all of it that I'd ever want is online. Missing a few things, but not enough to warrant what I paid for it.
    On the top of my head, the only monsters i really miss in the SRD are the Illithid and the Beholder.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    On the top of my head, the only monsters i really miss in the SRD are the Illithid and the Beholder.
    In addition, I'm partial to the gith, myself.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.