New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Zombie

Lightbulb (3.5) Help with the Vampire template

Hi everyone! I had some questions about overcoming the ludicrous +8 level adjustment of the vampire template. In my current campaign, Vampires are extremely prominent in human society, and my PC (Human Wizard 10) is looking to get in on that (really though, I've always wanted to try a vampire in game). However, that +8 LA is killing the deal.

Is their any way to negate said LA? Would LA buy off work? (We don't use many templates and have no experience with buyoff) Or is my only "real" option for gaining Undead status the Necropolitan template?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: (3.5) Help with the Vampire template

I sadly don't think there are any transformation PrCs for vampires, so faking it as a necropolitan is probably your only hope.

That being said, I believe the book of bad Latin had some alternate vampires that might be easier to swallow.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, I cannot think of a solution within 3.5, however, there is one from Pathfinder's Dreamscarred Press: The Lords of Night is currently in playtesting, and it is a book about playing as a vampire. Starting on page six of the playtest document. It is effectively a +2 LA, if I remember PF modifications (CR addition = LA)
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

The WotC website has a Savage Progression for Vampires here
    http://archive.wizards.com/default.a...d/sp/20030824a

There is also the Vampire Lord template, which is written and intedned (according to dragon mag) as a LA + 0 upgrade to Vampires to balance out the horrible +8 LA.

The Book of Bad Latin has a 8 level monster class for vampire spawn; which is more or less terrible.

Said book also has variant vampire traits, which you can think of as Alternate Class Features for vampires.

Lastly, there is a +2 LA (I think) Half-vampire template somewhere (is it Libris Mortis, or maybe Lords of Madness) that gives a bunch of vampire goodies, but it's an inhereted template.

My personal recommendation is to make a +4 Vampire Spawn savage progression or template; by taking the features of the Libris Mortis vampire spawn class and applying them like the Wight template from Dragon Mag #I forget. I made a thread about this a while ago that I could dig up if you're interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

5. - Top - End - #5

Zombie

Savage Species levels seem like a good solution, but maybe more so for an initiator, rather than losing 8 caster levels. Vampire Spawn seems off, I'm wondering if I should just suck it up and go Necropolitan. Thank you guys, as always, for taking the time help me!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

See if can't get your DM to give you a half-vampire/necropolitan combo template, you'd get all the flavour for a fraction of the LA.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Good news, this is exactly what Lords of the Night was written for!
    It gives you an easy cr+1 vampire template and lots of options.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

If vampires are common enough in your campaign that they make sense for the occasional PC, then your DM should probably homebrew a lower-LA version. As a quick and dirty hack a Necropolitan Half-Vampire covers most of the major stuff.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

9. - Top - End - #9

Well you could just take a hit of 5 negative levels then you dont gain much ... suddenly becoming a vampire doesnt seem as good does it. Keep in mind most vampires are going to add negative levels before turning someone to make sure they are well under control. Minions a good but powerful evil minions are as much a risk as a reward.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Um, guys. This thread is almost 5 months old.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro