New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Caedrus' Art of War vol 1. Fear Handbook

I've been a big fan of Caedrus' Fear Handbook, but have noticed that some stuff is missing (prestige classes, items, feats). It may be that Caedrus just wanted to put the most powerful or easily accessible options in the handbook, or that the material wasn't published when he was compiling his lists.
    Also, I'm not sure how long the wayback machine will keep it archived, so I'd like to migrate it here. Please no responses until I've finished copying it over, it's going to be a while before I can finish the formatting.

Fear Handbook - Caedrus' Art of War, Volume I

Welcome to my Fear Handbook, hopefully one of a number of a series, I consider somewhat of a D&D 'Art of War'. Please feel free to add feedback and suggestions, and I will try to incorporate them. If you like what you see, let me know – donations of fu are of course, a courteous gesture. If this gets good feedback I will create a few more. There are always too many ideas. First, let me make an introduction:

“You have much to learn. I am Sonja. Caedrus asked me for my help. I will guide you. When you see this text, know that I am speaking to you.”

HH here. I'll make my own comments at times, but the majority of the work will be Caedrus.
    Credits:

If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants – Sir Isaac Newton (sometimes accredited to Albert Einstein).

Again, I stand on the shoulders of giants. Some of the pieces of this Guide have been ported over from the CO Boards.

Dictum Mortuum (Demoralise as an area of study - great idea) in his Demoralisation Project.

Womble Hunter, BenSan, Callix, Burning Duck and Colm_L for their excellent contributions to Dictum Mortuum's intriguing thread;

JaronK made the wonderful suggestion of Scarlet Corsair, which has been used in Cromwell's creation.

NineInchNail provided excellent information, as did many contributors, in the Shadowcraft Mage Handbook (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=655556) for Nadia.

Dedication

Snow Savant first came up with the Fear Factor (http://forums.gleemax.com/archive/in.../t-298091.html), and this Handbook is created to provide some of the gentle, helpful advice Snow added to the CO Boards during her time there.

Glossary

Definitions

Buff: To increase the value of a tactically valuable aspect of a character. Example: Bull’s Strength.
    Debuff: To decrease the value of a tactically valuable aspect of a character. Example: Ray of Enfeeblement.
    Escalation: To improve an effect already in effect. Example: A shaken effect on a shaken character escalates the fear effect to frightened.
    Control: To prohibit the tactical movement of an enemy. Example: Evard’s Black Tentacles.
    Repel: To remove an enemy from the field of combat. Example: Night’s Caress.
    Incapacitate: To remove all threat from an enemy. Example: Otto’s Irresistible Dance.
    Trap: A common choice (often one which seems superficially appealing) which often is not the optimum choice. Example: Fireball.

The Use of this Guide

Throughout this Guide, in deference to Dictum Mortuum’s Handbook Writing Guide, the following colours will help your travels through this guide:

Black Text indicates a neutral choice.
    Red Text indicates a very poor choice.
    Blue Text indicates a good choice.
    Purple Text indicates an excellent choice.
    Green Text additions made by me. Currently unrated.

Special Caveat: Ravenloft
    While the Ravenloft makes frequent use of horror and fear in keeping with its Gothic Horror theme, it's rules are a little different from the standard D&D.
    Failing saves vs Fear can result in the character making checks for Horror and even Madness. Fear that is so terrible it unhinges the mind, perhaps permanently. Additionally, many of the core spells, items, and classes listed below have changed/reduced/enhanced effects in the Demiplane of Dread. Frequently you will be making checks against the Dark Powers when you do so. Some of these changes can be anticipated for splatbooks spells/items/classes by examining the existing changes; particularly the changes to different schools of magic like Conjuration, Enchantment, or Necromancy. Or you determine what tags are applicable like Mind Affecting.
    Last edited by herrhauptmann; 2016-01-11 at 12:04 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Caedrus' Art of War vol 1. Fear Handbook

Facts about Fear effects.

“What is fear? As wise men have said, fear is the mind killer.”

The following statements all assume that the most recent source (often the Rules Compendium) is the most correct.
    All fear effects are mind-affecting fear effects (Rules Compendium, Pg 53). Note that this is not in full agreement with the Player’s Handbook, nor the D&D Glossary Definition.
    Fear has stages—shaken, frightened, panicked, and cowering. Note that cowering cannot be escalated from panicked, but it can be caused by prohibiting a panicked enemy from escaping.
    The use of a fear aura, which is a supernatural ability, is a free action. A fear aura is an area effect. A fear aura affects only those opponents that have fewer Hit Dice than the creature has.
    Multiple exposures to the same effect don’t trigger an escalation of fear. Exposure to different effects does. When such multiple exposures occur, the worst stage of fear lasts until the duration of all the effects causing the fear expire.

What Fear Is:

Fear is a debuffer in the first instance, a repeller in the second instance, and an incapacitator in the third instance.

What Fear Is Not:

Fear effects, in and of themselves, do not kill enemies. You must still have an effect that can inflict damage on the enemy. Having said that, if you can get an enemy cowering, the battle is pretty much over.

Stages of Fear

“Fear is not a simple state. It is not a matter of being scared, or not; fear is a spectrum, a continuum, a scale on which your enemy may unnerved, or terrified beyond rational thought, and any stage between. To understand fear, you must know the stages of fear.”

To be effective in the use of fear tactics, you must understand about fear stages. The four stages are shaken, frightened, panicked, and cowering

Shaken

Shaken creatures take an (untyped) -2 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks.

Frightened

Frightened creatures take penalties as if shaken, and they flee from the source of their fear as quickly as they can. They can
    choose the path of their flight. Frightened creatures can use pretty much any method to escape, including those requiring concentration. Once frightened creatures can’t sense the source of their fear, they can act as they want.

Panicked

From the Player’s Handbook:

A panicked creature must drop anything it holds and flee at top speed from the source of its fear, as well as any other dangers it encounters, along a random path. It can’t take any other actions. In addition, the creature takes a –2 morale penalty on saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks.

If cornered, a panicked creature cowers and does not attack, typically using the total defence action in combat. A panicked creature can use special abilities, including spells, to flee; indeed, the creature must use such means if they are the only way to escape.

However, in the Rules Compendium, the rules for the cowering state, and the escalation from the panicked state are made clear. Instead of the ‘-2 morale penalty’, the penalty is now an untyped penalty which acts in all ways as the shaken state. The total defence action in case of the cornered, panicked enemy has been replaced with the cowering state. Thus:

Panicked creatures take penalties as if shaken, and they flee from the source of their fear as quickly as they can. Their path is random. They flee from all other dangers that confront them rather than facing those dangers. Panicked creatures cower if they’re prevented from fleeing.

Cowering

Cowering creatures are frozen in fear and can take no actions. A cowering creature takes a –2 penalty to AC and loses its Dexterity bonus (in all applications). Note that since a cowering creature must, by definition, pass through the panicked stage, the enemy must also drop anything it holds.

Objectives & Methods

“Now you know more about fear, you must learn the application of fear. You must find a way into your enemy’s mind, you must find a way to extract their tiniest phobias, and to enhance it, magnify it, manifest it until it is real. True fears grows. You must nourish the fear, nurture it like a child before turning it on the enemy. Then, and only then, will you have dominion over your enemy.”

Objective

Based on what we have learned in the Stages of Fear, we must set some objectives:

1. Assess the field of battle and ready yourself to act when the enemy is an appropriate tactical position.
    2. Commence the Fear Escalation.
    3. Ensure a Fear contributor has a duration long enough to ensure that the enemy can be destroyed within a reasonable time frame.
    4. Ensure no escape, or that the escape itself is lethal.
    5. Commence the beatdown.

Methods

Method One:

Fast Escalation, Fast Response.

To achieve this method, you must find a very low number of effects that takes an enemy to panicked as quickly as possible, then blocks any means of escape. The enemy will cower, and from there, you start the beatings. This is a very dangerous tactic, quite difficult to achieve, but when it works, it is quite devastating.

Method Two:

Layered Escalation, Measured Response.

To achieve this method, you must layer fear effects until the enemy gets to panicked, and then block any means of escape. The enemy will cower, and from there, you start the beatings. This is the easiest method to achieve, and often allows for nice, long fear durations, so you can take your time beating your enemy to a pulp.

Method Three:

Staged Escalation, Automatic Response.

To achieve this method, you must layer fear effects until the enemy gets to panicked, and then allow any means of escape that will send your enemy into traps or effects that are going to get them killed. This method is more of a DM method, as it is a passive method, relying on traps, pits, spell effects or nearby monsters to do the actual damage.

I will be concentrating most on Method Two, because it is most easily achieved.

First, however, let’s look at techniques to create fear. The best fear generators have one, or more, of the following qualities:

1. No Save. This is extremely important, as the enemy can’t make a save if there isn’t one.
    2. Strong escalation. A fear effect that makes an enemy shaken is great, but one which sends it to frightened, or panicked, is even better.
    3. Fear Penetration. If it can affect a creature immune to fear effects, then it has great value.
    4. Long duration. Remember: If it can extend a fear effect, it extends every fear effect.
    5. Great Numbers or Area. Any fear effect that affects more than one enemy is better than a single target, obviously.
    6. Movement Restrictions. Any effect that restricts movement can trigger the effect from panicked to cowering. At that point, you have won.

The worst fear generators have one, or more, of the following qualities:

1. Double saves. If an effect needs greater than one save, the chances of affecting your enemy are pretty slim. Avoid these.
    2. No escalation. A fear effect that can only make an enemy shaken, and no more, is nowhere near as useful as one which allows escalation.
    3. One-Shots. A fear effect that allows for immunity if a save is made can be a hindrance.
    4. Alignment-Specificity. A fear effect that can only be done by a specific alignment restricts the value. The character concept should not come before the utility.
    5. Short duration. Short effects lead to little time for hammering the enemy into the ground.
    6. One target. The more suffering, the better.
    7. Target Restriction: A fear effect capped to hit dice is fine at low level, but quickly becomes ineffective.

Some debatable fear generator qualities include:

1. Range. Generally speaking, range is your greatest friend – it allows for flexibility and safety. However, since part of the strength of fear effects is the ability to make the fear-affected enemy vulnerable to ally attacks, it is often in your best interest to make an enemy be in close range before you terrify them.
    2. Damage. The ability to inflict damage is a secondary consideration to escalating fear. Note, however, that inflicting damage can come in handy.

Alternative Use for Intimidate
    From Cityscape added by Daremetoidareyo
    The tavern brawl is a staple of many D&D adventures—a chance for PCs to fight in a less deadly way.
    Intimidation: Most bar fights start not with a thrown punch but a thrown insult. To taunt a bar patron, make an Intimidate check opposed by the target’s modified level check (1d20 + character level or Hit Dice + target’s Wis bonus [if any] + target’s modifiers on saves against fear). If you succeed, the target glowers but doesn’t counter your insult. If you fail, the target responds with an insult directed at you. If you fail by 5 or more, the target throws a punch at you.
    Last edited by herrhauptmann; 2016-01-15 at 01:26 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Races

“One thing of which I am certain is that some races lend themselves readily to the nature of fear. The half-elf knows the mind; the gnome knows the nature of deception; the human learns and adapts readily. But all of them pale before the brutality of the half-orc. I am sure Vern would not mind me saying that.”

The range of character races available are vast. I shall mention a few which stick out as strong choices.

1. Half-Orc. The half-orc takes a hit to Charisma, but the half-orc gets access to the Menacing Demeanor feat (Races of Destiny), which is pure gold for the Demoralise method. Similarly, access to the Paragon of Half-Orcs class is very useful. Note that the Desert Half-Orc (Unearthed Arcana) does not take a penalty hit, making it a clear winner here.
    2. Gnome. The synergy between gnomes / illusions / Shadowcraft Magi / Nightmare Spinners is very strong. If you’re going for the Caster method, then gnomes are very strong. Similarly, access to the Paragon of Gnomes class is very useful.
    3. Grey Elf. An intelligence bonus means a Save DC bonus, which means a better chance of affecting your enemy. Every bit helps. Access to the Paragon of Elves class is very useful.
    4. Human. A bonus feat is always, always useful.
    5. Hellbred Infernal mien for a +2 racial bonus to intimidate checks and a +2 Con/-2Int or +2Charisma/-2Con, the hellbred is wonderful at the debuffing route. And with the bonus feat Devils Favor, you have a minimum of one reroll per day on an attack/save/check.

Templates

• Xorvintaal Exarch: I have no idea if this is actually good. LA+2. You serve a Xorvintaal Dragon; agreeing to serve as his chess piece (pawn) in a giant game that takes centuries. One ability (among others) you can use up to 5/day is Frightful Presence with the same radius as your dragon; but it uses your stats and HD for the save.

Of course, there are dozens of other races. Charisma-boosting races (or templates) are very useful, as are those with an illusion focus; this is a very short list.

Base Classes

“Your career defines how much fear you can generate.”

Barbarian: If you are taking the demoralising route, Barbarian is an excellent choice. The barbarian’s rage forms the basis of the excellent intimidating rage feat; note that any rage can be used, which also makes the Paragon of Half-Orcs a strong entry point.

Bard: With so many mind effects, the bard is a master of mind effects. It forms the basis for the Sublime Chord, has excellent skill points, and has many of the class skills required for other fear classes. Using Inspire Awe makes the bard very useful, and the excellent Doomspeak is probably the best debuff in the game.

Cleric: Not as strong with fear effects, the cleric is always a powerful class. Doom, as a first level spell, makes cleric an excellent dip, if nothing else.

Fighter: With access to so many tactically useful feats, and with intimidate, the fighter is a terrifying opponent. Often used as padding to grant more feats easily, the zhentarim fighter is, by itself, a devastating class. I would love to see a combination Dungeoncrash-Trip-Fear Fighter. Real battlefield control, right there.

Paladin: Particularly for the half-orc, the paladin is a high-charisma class, which can be very powerful. Paladin synergises well with sorcerors, clerics and bards, and the half-orc paladin ACF is very nice. Additionally you have the paladin ACF's in Unearthed Arcana, of which the LE Paladin of Tyranny synergizes very well with. Currently unsure if you can apply the halforc ACF to the Paladin alternates.

Sorceror: Another high-charisma class, the sorceror can churn out a lot of fear effects. Their natural high charisma makes it very hard to resist many fear effects. And some of the best fear casting PrC require spontaneous casting.

Wizard: The most tactically flexible Arcane caster class, wizards often use Charisma as a dump stat, which means that a wizard fear inducer needs to make sure that, whenever possible, they shouldn’t allow a save.

Dread Necromancer: With fear inherent in the class, no fear handbook is complete without the Dread Necromancer. Their fear aura has a 5’ range, but that can make all the difference.

Binders

“I met a man who claims he chained demons to his soul. A creature of possession, and mystery.”

For those using the Tome of Magic, Chupoclops & Focalar are fantastic at debuffing, which is vitally important in fear effects. Vanus has a great fear aura, too.

Prestige Classes

“It’s surprising how just a small movement away from one’s vocation can enhance your skills so dramatically. Something to consider.”

Acolyte of the Skin: The 3rd level ability, albeit once per day, is awesome: You automatically make an enemy shaken for ten minutes, and you stun them with a failed Save. The duration and automatic effect makes this an excellent dip, albeit losing some caster levels. Characterful and dramatic.

Avenging Executioner: Nongood, but otherwise it is a very characterful, dramatic class, that just happens to be devastating for the sneak attacker / demoraliser. Rapid Intimidation makes demoralising a move equivalent action, and bloody murder forces a fear effect if you drop an enemy. Add in some sudden strike damage, and this is a very effective class.

Champion of Gwynharwyf: When a 4th level Champion of Gwynharwyf enters a rage, you make an Intimidate check. Any enemy that comes within 30 feet of you while you are raging must make a Will save against a DC equal to your Intimidate check result. Those who fail become shaken for 1d4+1 rounds or the duration of the rage, whichever is longer. In short, if someone comes near you (say, someone fleeing from another source of fear), they get hammered again.

Death Delver: Heroes of Horror. At 5th level, once per day, you can emanate an aura of fear in a 30ft radius. Lasts rounds equal to DD level. Enemies fail will save and are affected as if by a Fear spell.

Dread Witch: Simply put, the Dread Witch is the best class for a fear caster. One dead level, and after that, it is magnificent. You can burn through fear immunity, boost your save DCs, reflect fear back on the originator, and delay fear effects so that they all hit at once. Just an excellent class.

Dragonsong Lyricist: Singing songs like The Dragonborn ComesTM you inspire strength, flight, compulsions, fear, and increased healing. Fear comes in at level 4.

Evangelist: The 3rd level Inspire Dread ability can lower saves dramatically, making this class potentially useful.

Ghostwalker: Sword and Fist. Gain an untyped (unless there's an errata) bonus to intimidate equal to your Ghostwalker level. Does not work on anyone who knows your name. My personal opinion of Ghostwalker makes this a bad choice, especially since that anonymity thing is completely dependent on the DM.

INitiate of the Dragon: Draconomicom. Gain Frightful presence at 5th level. Probably better than Talon of Tiamat

Menacing Brute: Races of Destiny. Half orc only, level 1 grants you a competence bonus to intimidate checks equal to MB level. If you successfully demoralize a foe, they remain shaken for 1 extra round per MB level. Capstone is "Making an Example," all foes within 30 feet of you must make a will save or cower until the start of their next turn if they watch you "drop" an opponent.

Mindbender: As many have stated, one level is enough. There is nice synergy for prerequisites with (for example) Nightmare Spinner.

Mystic Theurge: A useful filler class for a dual caster. The use of the Versatile Spellcaster / Heighten Spell combination for early entry can be a useful synergy. Even with early entry, I recommend against the MT.

Nightmare Spinner: One level in this class is spectacularly good; I don’t know why most casters – especially illusionists - don’t take it, even considering the caster level loss; create fear a few times per day, immunity to fear, and a bonus spell of every level! Nightmare phantasms make their illusions fear-inducing, Spirit chill causes more damage. Really, three levels is about right, as 4th gets nothing, and 5th gets the devastating ability to make people just drop dead, if you can bear the empty 4th level. An excellent, powerful class.

Scarlet Corsair / Dread Pirate: I really like these classes (which are so similar they have been combined): the shaken effect from a sneak attack is excellent; the corsair’s feint is extremely useful for a sneak attacker. But, for fear effects, the 5th level Scourge of the Seas effect is excellent; a demoralise that affects more targets, for longer, makes for an excellent demoraliser base.

Shadowcraft Mage: The class has been discussed here and here. It is a very strong, very powerful class; with very little tweaking, mostly via Nightmare Spinner, it is lethally scary.

Talon of Tiamat: At 8th level you gain frightful presence. Probably not a great choice

Thayan Slaver: Unapproachable East 37. Requires Sneak Attack, Evil alignment, Appraise, Intimidate, and Use Rope. And to be from Thay.
    The thayan slaver is surprisingly intelligent, preparing and casting spells like a wizardbut from his own spell list. Their Break Will ability at level 2 is the focus, when winning an Intimidationg check by 10 or more, the opponent takes 1 point of temporary wisdom damage. Such lost wisdom returns at the rate of 1/day of rest. I would recommend combining this with the Zhentarim Fighter ACF, as you get a +4 on a later attempt to deal wisdom damage, if you can find a way to play a Zhentarim Fighter trusted to be a slave master in Thay.. You are of course still limited by the Try Again section of the intimidate skill.

Zhentarim Skymage: Lords of Darkness (3.0) An unusual choice in that it doesn't actually grant you fear. But you can get a flying mount with HD equal to Skymage level + charisma modifier +1. This is a good PrC I feel since it's 5/5 arcane or divine casting, relies on your charisma which many intimidators use, and can get you a mount that has Frightful Presence. Perhaps combo it with the dragonrider PrC in Draconomicom.
    Downside: it's 3.0 and the BAB does not fit the right progression for low/medium/high characters.
    Last edited by herrhauptmann; 2016-02-19 at 01:18 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Feats

“In your training, you will learn much. Tricks and traits that will allow you to make your enemy fear you. Choose your path wisely. There is a world of difference for the uninitiated between demoralizing a foe and, for example, summoning an illusion of their greatest fear, which reaches out and stops their heart; I shall say it again: choose wisely.”

I will cover only feats which are reasonably easily found; I don’t think that the ghost manifestations from Ghostwalk, for example, will see much utility here.

Baleful Moan (LM24): A very limiting choice. You have to be undead and incorporeal. It is a standard action, and a successful save provides 24 hour immunity.

Bloodsoaked Intimidate (CR17): A poor choice. It requires a weak feat to begin and is very unlikely to ever see use. However, it does allow an intimidate check as a swift action.

Charnel Miasma (CC57): Well, you need access to the Death Domain, which can be troublesome. But, as a standard action, one foe within 30’ can be shaken for one minute if they fail their Will Save. So, far, not too exciting; but, if the enemy is already shaken, they escalate to panicked. You also gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting death spells. This feat is reasonable, but not fantastic.

Dark Speech:BoVD, EE, Fiend Folio. Many different effects depending on your targets alignment and HD. Can be decent.

Dark Whispers: ED. Stagger enemies by speaking the Dark Speech. Not a fear effect, but good if going the Demoralize route.

Daunting Presence (LM25): A standard action to awe an opponent. On the upside, this feat has a duration of ten minutes. However, on the downside, this feat only affects one enemy, and cannot escalate past shaken. A poor choice.

Dreadful Wrath (PG38): When you charge, make a full attack or cast a spell on an enemy, you gain a frightful presence for that round. It has a 20’ radius, and a duration of one minute. Successful Will Saves provide immunity for 24 hours. The effect is an extraordinary morale effect. Affecting multiple enemies, with a strong duration, this feat is virtually a must-have. The only drawbacks are DM veto (Forgotten Realms specific), and race-specificity (human or planetouched being the most common, but there are ways around this). Anyone using a fear build would be well advised to consider this feat.

Evil Brand:(EE) Bonus to diplomacy and intimidate against evil cfreatures.

Fearsome and Fearless (OA62): On one hand, it increases the DC of the fear effects you generate by 1; however, it is campaign specific, so DM veto might be a hindrance.

Fearsome Necromancy (CM42): Adequate, but no better. It looks great – if an enemy has to make a save vs. a necromancy effect, they are shaken, but it doesn’t escalate, and only lasts for one round. Useful for part-time necromancers, otherwise, not worth it.

Fell Frighten (LM27): This metamagic feat creates a shaken effect, with no save, on any target that is subject to mind-affecting fear effects. The duration is one minute. The cost is a +2 level adjustment to the spell. This is an excellent, powerful feat choice. Take it as soon as possible.

Filthy Outburst: EE. Less good than Dark whispers. Deafen enemies and given them a profane penalty to resist evil spells and SLA's.

Frightful Presence (Draconomicom 106): Gain frightful presence ability as a dragon. Fails against dragons, but you knew you weren't going to be scaring any dragons anyway. As good as Dreadful Wrath, but doesn't take up a precious first level feat.

Haunting Melody(HH123) A bardic music effect, this effect kicks in whenever you use a Perform-based skill check, making an enemy shaken. With a range of 30’, and affecting every enemy who can hear, it has potential. It escalates, and has a duration in rounds equal to your ranks in Perform. This is a good choice, limited only to your charisma and bard level.

Imperious Command (DrU50): If you are going the demoralise route to fear, you need this feat. If you successfully demoralize a foe in combat, the foe cowers in fear for 1 round and is shaken in the following round. But wait; if you use Intimidating Rage, the duration is now as long as you rage; even better, use Dreadful Wrath, and the enemy is now cowering for a minute.

Intimidating Rage (CW102): While raging, you get a free demoralise attempt against a single enemy within 30’. This seems an acceptable choice, until you get the never outnumbered skill trick (Complete Scoundrel, Page 87), which allows you to affect every enemy within 10’ when you demoralise someone. Friends, this is a strong feat, made truly powerful. I would advise you to now skip down to Imperious Command, and consider the potential for hilarity.

Menacing Demeanor: Races of Destiny155. Grants +4 to intimidate. This is a must-have for halforcs.

Mortifying Attack: CoR20. All creatures within 30ft that witness you make a deathattack must suceed on a will save (DC= death attack damage dealt) or be shaken for 2d4 rounds. This comes into play whether you succeed or fail, so the target of your Death Attack may need to make the save as well. Additionally any who fail lose their dexterity bonus to AC for 1 round. I don't know how good this is since it requires a death attack. But if you've got the feat Craven that's a flat boost to the DC equal to your HD.

Murderous Intent: (EE 14): Choose a creature who is one of your favored enemies and attack. If you deal at least 1 point of damage, they must make a will save. Fail and next turn you can only take a move OR standard action. Meh.

Natural Bully:Cor 21. Requires intimidate 6 ranks. All enemies within 30ft of you that have 1/2 of your HD or less are bullied. -2 morale penalty on attack rolls against you. This ends if they hit and successfully damage you. Doesn't work on anyone immune to fear effects. This could actually be a good feat for dungeon crawling demoralizers, especially in early levels.

Terrifying Strike [Ambush] (DrU54): Adequate, but no better. On a sneak attack, your enemy is shaken for one round. You lose 1d6 sneak attack damage, and the fear effect doesn’t escalate past shaken.

Synergistic Feats

“The nature of fear is based around belief. Your enemy must believe that their fear is real, that the promise of what they fear most is manifest, real. You must convince your enemy, at every step, that the threat, the promise of danger, is real. You must be believable, be it through being duplicitous, or sincere, or overwhelmingly confident.”

Nymph’s Kiss (BoED44): +2 to all Charisma checks is very useful. The bonus skill points and bonus to saves is just icing on this delicious cake. If you have room, take this feat, preferably at 1st level for the bonus skill points.

Doomspeak (CR18): Using a bardic music effect, you can curse an enemy within 120’ to suffer a -10 penalty on attack rolls, saves, ability checks and skill checks. Used as a precursor to Mind Fog, this might be one of the best debuffs in the game. As always, if you can lower an enemy’s Will Save, you are on your way to terrifying them.

Invisible Spell (Cityscape): If you want an enemy to fall victim to a trap, such as a Fell-Frightening Evard’s Black Tentacles, then why not make it invisible as well?

Special Abilities & Class Substitution Levels

“The bard is an excellent fear inducer – who else know the way of the hearts and minds of men? Still, there are other, darker places one might find the ways of fear…”

Inspire Awe: If you use a Perform Check as a standard action, every enemy within 30’ must make a Will Save equal to the bard’s Perform check. Failure means that the enemy is shaken as long as the bard performs, and for one round after. Consider using this feat in conjunction with the Haunting Melody feat, which will greatly affect the duration. Note that Perform checks can be improved very quickly. You should have a look at the Circlet of Persuasion magic item, as well as the

Zhentarim Fighter: Found as a Web Enhancement, the downside is the fact that the Zhentarim are considered pretty much evil. You might convince your DM to allow a good-or-neutral version, but don’t bet on it. However, consider this as reasons for having a tenth level fighter (yes, the capstone ability is at level 9, but really, who takes odd levels of fighter?): You gain Skill Focus (Intimidate), and you get to demoralise as a swift action. Add in Imperious Command, Dreadful Wrath, and Never Outnumbered, and you have one seriously scary fighter. Oh, and there’s still space to fit in some Dungeoncrasher. If you take a fighter, take these substitution levels. Simple.

Traits

“For some people, to be frightening is their nature, not just their inclination.”

Unnatural Aura (Dragon Magazine, Issue 356, Page 89). Taken at 1st level, this trait costs you a -2 penalty for all interactions with animals and vermin. The (untyped) bonus is a +2 on all Intimidate checks and to the DC of all spells with the [Fear] Descriptor. This is an excellent investment.
    Last edited by herrhauptmann; 2016-01-11 at 06:45 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Magic Items

“I am often asked about how enchanted items can aid in the creation of fear. These ensorcelled items have their place – but I tend to think of them as being an aid, rather than a means to an end.”

Amulet of Fearsome Might (Dragon Magazine, Issue 332, Page 70). Doubles the radius of the wearer’s innate frightful presence, and increases the DC to save against it by +2. In addition, any spells (or spell-like abilities) with the [Fear] descriptor cast by the wearer have their DC increased by +2. It doesn’t stack (explicitly) with the feats Spell Focus or Greater Spell Focus. This item has a CL of 7, costs 11,100 g.p, weighs 1 lb. and takes up the throat slot.

Fearsome Armour: Applied to an armour or shield, you can activate it as a swift command to make every creature within 20’ panic for one round. One a successful DC16 Will save, the enemy is shaken for one round instead. You can use this three times per day. Magic Item Compendium, Pg 11. This item has a CL of 7, costs 15,000 g.p, but does not increase the ‘plus’ of the armour or shield.

Menacing Armour: As a standard action, you can activate menacing armour. Any one creature within 30’, with fewer Hit Dice than yourself, needs to make a Will Save (DC 10 + 1/2 your HD + your Cha modifier) or be panicked for 5 rounds. Success means that the target is shaken for 1 round instead, and is immune to the fear for 24 hours. You can use the fear ability three times per day. Magic Item Compendium, Pg 13. This item has a CL of 9, and costs 30,000 g.p.

Domineering Weapon. An enemy hit with a domineering weapon must make a DC16 Will Save or be shaken for one minute. This fear effect does not escalate. This item has a caster level of 11, and costs a ‘+2’ equivalency.

Mace of Terror: On the plus side, it is useful as a +2 heavy mace. On command, three times per day it causes all living creatures within a 30’ cone to make a DC16 Will Save or panic. You get three uses per day. The main problem is the cost. At 38,552 gold, it’s not cheap. It has a caster level of 13th.

Screaming Bolt: All enemies within 20 feet of the path of the bolt must make a DC14 Will Save or become shaken. What is the range of a crossbow bolt? In terms of area, this one is a winner. It has a caster level of 5th, and costs 267 gold pieces. In the right tactical situation, this thing is priceless.
    For a +1 Bolt, use the following math.
    Price for 50. 267*50=13350
    Difference in cost for 50. ([+2]^2 - [+1]^2)*2000=6000
    Price for a +1 version. (13350-6000)/50= 147gold per bolt.

Drums of Panic: These kettle drums have a range of 120 feet (with the exception of those within a 20-foot-radius safe zone around the drums) are affected as by a fear spell (Will DC16). If the enemy saves, they are shaken, if they fail, they are panicked. Costing 30,000 gold, and weighing in at 10 lbs, there is a cost, not to mention that they can only be used once per day. They have a Caster Level of 17th. Look, get creative with these items. Shrink them down. Make your familiar play them. Hire some cretin for minimum wage and make everyone escalate their fear saves by one, within a 120’ range. Don’t get me wrong, these items are not cool. What they lose in cool, they make up in awesome.

Eyes of Doom: An expensive item, these lenses take up the face slot, which is little used. One enemy per round meeting your gaze must make a fairly pathetic DC11 Will Save or be affected by a Doom spell. However, if the wearer has both lenses, he gains the additional power of a continual deathwatch effect and can use fear (Will DC 16 partial) as a normal gaze attack once per week. While Doom is a nice spell, the DC is way too low for it to be effective.

Doom Burst Weapon:Mini handbook. Whenever you score a critical hit with a Doom Burst weapon, the target becomes shaken with no saving throw for 5 rounds. Unfortunately, the effect doesn’t stack with itself or with any other fear effects. It has a Caster Level of 11th, and costs the equivalent of a ‘+2’ enhancement. Don’t do it. It’s a trap.

Axe of the Sea Reavers:Rof171 As well as being a +1 greataxe, you can float on water, regardless of your weight. You can also create a war cry which gives a +2 morale bonus on attack rolls, weapon damage, saves, skill checks, and ability checks for 1 round. In addition, you can cause all enemies within 15 feet of you become panicked for 1 round (Will DC 16 negates).
    Each of these abilities is usable once per day. Magic Item Compendium, Page 47. This item has a CL of 7, and costs 10,320 gp.

Note that Intelligent Item Greater Powers can create cause fear in an enemy at will (+7,200 gp).

Platinum Helm: This helm makes you immune to the frightful presence of evil dragons if you are lawful good, neutral good, or lawful neutral. If you can activate the relic power, you can create a frightful presence effect. (DC 10 + 1/2 your Hit Dice + your Cha modifier) Will Save or panicked (if it has 4 or fewer HD) or shaken (if it has 5 or more HD) for 4d6 rounds. 60’ Range, usable three times per day. Magic Item Compendium, Page 117. This item has a CL of 20, and costs 5,000 gp.

Breastplate of Terror: Acts as an adamantine Breastplate +1 (so it gives damage reduction). Also, once per day as an immediate action in response to an attack, you can create a fear effect that frightens an enemy for one round, or shakes them if they pass the DC20 Will Save. Magic Item Compendium, Page 192. This item has a CL of 5, and costs 13,200 gp.

Mask of the Matriarch (Dru): You can can make a gaze attack three times per day against all creatures within 30’. Those who fail a DC20 Will save cower in fear for 1 round and are shaken on the following round. It takes up the face slot, has a caster level of 11th, and costs 9000 gold. So much better than the Eyes of Doom.

Flaying Rod: Aah, those wacky drow dominatrices. The flaying rod functions a +1 scourge of speed, and on a confirmed critical hit, the creature struck is wracked with pain and cowers for one round. When you cast spells with the fear descriptor when holding a flaying rod, your caster level increases by 1. At 35,000 gold, it’s not cheap, and it requires a caster level of 7th. But, presumably, if you can get that 20 on a victim that is already under a long-duration shaken or frightened effect, then it’s pure win. To me, it seems a little unlikely.

Demon Rod (DrU): Well, this item costs 20,308 gold and has a caster level of 18th. It acts as a +1 morningstar, and if you belt an enemy with a good alignment, they must succeed on a DC 20 Will save or be shaken for 1 round. Three times per day, you can spend a full-round action to make a melee touch attack with the demon rod. If you hit, the target takes no damage, but must make a DC 20 Will save or become panicked for 3 rounds. Unfortunately, if you aren’t evil this item gives you a negative level. Thematically nice, but not worth the money for the fear effect.

Synergy Items

“I am a necromancer. For many years, I carried one of these creatures. It had been shrunk, and held within a crystal chamber which hung from my neck; the inherent evil within was not detectable; all I knew was that it aided me in my necromancy. Use the Slaymate with caution, lest it consume you.”

Slaymate:Libris Mortis122 OK, bear with me on this. It’s not really a magic item, so much as it is a small, insane, undead child. Still, there’s no reason why you couldn’t ... oh, imprison one in an item and wear it on your person, since the creature doesn’t have to be willing to provide it’s benefit, which is enormous: Any necromantic spell cast near the Slaymate has the metamagic cost reduced by one. Considering just how many of the spells in the fear array are necromantic, you should utterly try to get one of these if you possibly can.

Shrouds of the Unholy: Any corpse wrapped in these shrouds rises as an undead, of a type you designate. This should allow you to create a Slaymate.
    Last edited by herrhauptmann; 2016-01-11 at 06:33 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Spells

“Now, we reach an area in which I have some knowledge. The correct selection of spells will make your fear creation simple. Remember, always, that fear is a creature that must be nurtured – the right combination of feats and spells will make you terrifying.”[/i]

Aura of Terror: OK, so it’s a 6th level spell. It makes people frightened, and has an area of 30’ radius. So far, not too bad. Oh, and it’s verbal only, which can be handy. It only affects creatures of less than your caster level, which you’re going to boost, anyway, so that shouldn’t be a big problem. The spell gives you a frightful presence for one minute per level! The duration of one minute per level means 11 minutes of being affected by fear. But if you cast this spell when you already have a frightful presence, the radius increases by ten feet. And the DC is ramped up by 2, and it escalates the effect by one. This spell is officially more fun than filling your trousers with ferrets. If you can possibly find a way to get this all day, you should do so immediately. Failing that, always have it prepared. Because if you cast a fell frightening spell, with your frightful presence (i.e. Dreadful Wrath) enhanced by this, the enemy is panicked. Simple as that. No save. Nothing. Go start scribing this immediately.

Blade of Pain and Fear: Hmm. You need to make a touch attack, which causes damage. If the enemy gets hit, they have to make a Will Save or be frightened for 1d4 rounds. But, if you use a Dreadful Wrath, they are panicked for one minute. That’s nice. But, why not make it a Fell Frightening Blade of Pain and Fear? You hit them, they take damage, then they become shaken for one minute (no save), then they make a save (at -2, thanks to being shaken), and if they fail, then they are frightened. Another save, and they are panicked. For a minute. And if they make the save, hit them again. It’s a pity it’s an evocation. Still, all in all, it’s an excellent spell.

Cause Fear: Compare this spell to Doom. Cause Fear affects one target only – no change there. If the creature makes the save, it is still shaken – excellent – albeit for one round, only. But creatures of 6 HD or more are immune to the spell. So, the spells are tactically different. Use Doom if the target is greater than 5 HD, or if they are likely to fail their save. Otherwise, Doom them.

Doom: Well, this spell only affects one target. They get a save. It is divine, only. These things are bad. The following things are good: The fear effect can escalate. It lasts for one minute per level. It has a massive range (if you need it). Oh, and it is a first level spell. This spell has vast potential. If you’re a divine caster, you should take it if you have any interest in creating fear.

Dream Casting: a very strange spell. Unlimited Range makes it a very effective scry-and-die spell. If the enemy fails their Will Save, they are shaken when they see you. For 24 hours per level, which means a minimum of 11 days. Combine this spell with scrying for maximum effect. A great monster’s spell.

Eyebite: Quite the odd duck, this spell. It affects one living creature. It has a decent duration (a minimum of 11 rounds), but only affects one person (restrictive), only affects up to 9 HD enemies with the fear effect (restrictive), is evil (restrictive), and it is sixth level. Now, the only thing this spell has going for it is one, specific thing: it is not a mind-affecting fear spell. Very specifically, it is the power of evil which causes the effects. So, undead, oozes, etc – this one is for you.

Fear: This spell affects a 30’ cone, which is a great start, as it has tactical use it shepherding people into a direction. It offers a save. Failure means panicking / cowering, and success means they are shaken. This is an excellent spell, as it is tactically strong, and has an effect regardless of the save. The duration of one round per level means at least seven rounds, which is a good place to start.

Haunting Tune: Well, it affects one creature level. A decent start. It has a long range, and Will negates. Fairly neutral there. But it escalates, and makes the enemy shaken for ten minutes per level. A minimum of seventy minutes? Four hundred and twenty rounds? That’s more than enough time to coup de grace anything, really. Combine with escalating effects, and use this spell as your duration extender. Oh, it’s an enchantment, so use it with abilities that crank up the DC of enchantment. Bards get lots of those.

Imperious Glare: Another 6th level spell – there are so many fear effects at this level! Well, it affects one creature per level, so 11+ creatures. The range is a minimum of 50’, which is adequate. Oh, and the DC for the Will Save is either the standard value, or the save DC for your frightful presence ability. So, is this spell any good? The answer is a staggering yes, because it doesn’t make enemies panic; it makes them cower. Don’t bother cutting off escape methods, this spell does it all. Go and buy a scroll of this spell immediately.

Night’s Caress: A 5th level spell with a range of touch. This spell causes 1d6+2 points of Constitution damage, and 1d6 points of (untyped) damage – and a Fortitude save only negates the Constitution loss. Sounds good – like a fireball, but no save, and no energy resistance. But what’s it doing here, in the Fear Handbook? Well, if you touch an undead with it, they flee, as if panicked for 1d4 rounds, +1 round per caster level. An interesting, multi-purpose spell. The only problem is that touch range. I suggest the Reach Spell feat if you want to scare some undead.

Opalescent Glare: Well, a rarity here. A [Good] [Death] spell. It is sixth level, allows a Will Save, and affects creatures within 60’ as a gaze attack. If they are 5 Hit Dice or less and make their save, they are affected as though by a fear spell (that’s a panic effect, folks), for 2d10 minutes. An average of 11 minutes of panicking / cowering? If you can’t kill 5 HD creatures in eleven minutes, you need more than fear. Of course, if the enemy fail their save, they just die. Anyone of greater than 5HD are panicked if they fail their save. So, for pure hilarity, surround an army and then go nuts with this spell.

Phantasmal Killer: Twin saves mean a staggeringly low chance of affecting your target. It only affects one creature. And, at the end of the day, it isn’t a fear spell, it’s a damage spell. Give this one a miss.

Rebuke: A 2nd level spell that affects one creature, lasts one round per level, has a close range, and makes the enemy shaken. All very normal fare for a fear spell, except for one thing. Follow my logic, if you will. If you fail the spell, you also become dazed. Since you are dazed, you may not take any actions. Since you can take no actions, you cannot move and are prevented from fleeing. Panicked creatures cower if they’re prevented from fleeing. Therefore, if you have a frightened enemy, and then you hit them with a successful Rebuke, they get dazed for one round, stopped from fleeing, and then they are cowering for the duration of what made them frightened in the first place. I would like to say that if your DM punches you in the trachea for doing this, I am not responsible.

Rebuke, Greater: A 4th level spell, as the name implies, it is a better version of Rebuke. It affects one creature, lasts one round per level, has a close range, and makes the enemy cower for 1d4 rounds. Use this after a nice, long duration escalating effect and you’re free for all sorts of shenanigans.

Scare: This spell has a long range, affects one creature per three levels, but instead of panicking / cowering an enemy, it makes them frightened, albeit for one round per level, if they fail their save. Not too bad for affecting multiple targets, but there are better spells.

Spiritwall: So, you have a 5th level spell that can create a hemisphere of one foot radius per level, so a minimum of nine feet. You can also create a wall, which should be able to be curved (the picture shows it curved, but you might want to check with your DM – read some of the other Wall spells for inspiration) covering one 10’ square per level. Now, every creature within 60’ of the ‘frightening side’ must make a Will Save or be frightened for 1d4 rounds. If you touch the wall, you lose 1d10 hit points, and must make a Fortitude save or lose a level. It provides cover, total concealment, and blocks line of effect. Very interesting. Now, since it causes damage, you can make a Fell Frightening Spiritwall, which will automatically escalate the fear to panicking. But, since the wall causes damage, it represents a danger. A panicking creature must flee from all other dangers that confront them rather than facing those dangers. Panicked creatures cower if they’re prevented from fleeing. End result: A Fell Frightening Spirit Wall which surrounds an enemy forces a Will Save. If the enemy fail, they cower for one minute. Great stuff.

Symbol of Fear: This spell is expensive (1000 gp), but has the potential to affect a lot of enemies; of course, by the time your enemies are competitive with a someone casting 6th level spells, their saves might be sky-high as well. The main fault with Symbol of Fear, however, is this: fear, by itself, does no damage; unless an enemy is present to take advantage of the fear of the targets, the spell is for nought. Still, the panicked status is nice. Essentially, if used tactically well, it is a brilliant spell; if used poorly, it is a distraction.

Wail of Doom (Complete Adventurer): A 5th level bard spell. It causes damage (1d4 per caster level), which means you can make a Fell-Frightening Wail of Doom. It makes enemies panic for one round per caster level, or shaken (frightened with Fell Frightening) if they make their Will Save. Not bad, but a bit high in level.

Weird: As a level 9 spell, you would expect it to be fantastic. But it isn’t. The unlimited number of targets sees very little common use; the fact that it is still a twin-save spell, at this level, makes it fairly useless.

Synergistic Spells

“Remember: The correct environment will make fear inevitable; An Invisible, Fell Frightening, Fell Weakening Kelgore’s Grave Mist will make an enemy fatigued, weakened and frozen. They will be terrified, unable to escape, and not even sure why.”

Bane: This spell applies -1 penalty on saves vs. Fear, to all enemies that fail a Will Save. This spell has tactical use against crowds, only. Otherwise, the value of -1 to saves isn’t worth the spell level, even if it is level 1.

Mind Fog: Let’s get the paradox out of the way: If you can get an enemy to fail their Will Save, their Will Saves for the next 2d6+ rounds will be at -10. This is awesome; but, you have to get them to fall victim. Invisible Spell (Cityscape) is an option.

Evard’s Black Tentacles: A movement-restriction spell that inflicts damage. Excellent for a Fell-Frightening effect, since the enemy can’t run, so they cower if panicked.

Forcecage: If they can’t teleport, they cower if panicked, since there’s no easy escape from that thing.

Kelgore’s Grave Mist (PHB II): 1d6 cold damage (enables Fell Frightening), the chance of fatiguing, and then a chance of shaking everyone in the area with Fell Frightening. Nice!

Magic Missile: An old favourite. Simply put, this is a delivery system for the Fell Frightening feat. At 9th caster level, you are getting 5 enemies that are shaken, with a third level spell. Add in Dreadful Wrath, and it’s time for hilarity.

Love’s Lament (SpC): A bard spell that strips 1d6 points of Wisdom (lowering Will Saves), and nauseates (potentially hindering movement) are two excellent synergies with fear effects.

Touch of Idiocy: Anything that lowers saves is good, and it is also a nice setup into the devastating Ray of Stupidity.
    Last edited by herrhauptmann; 2016-01-11 at 06:36 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Builds

“I would like to introduce you to some friends.”

Just as a point of clarification, the builds below are not, to use an analogy, the complete cake, ready for consumption. It is a list of ingredients (classes), for which you must decide the order. What type of icing (optional feats, magic items, etc) you decide on is up to personal preference. All I can say is that, if you use these ingredients, you will have an edible cake.

Hannibal

“Hannibal has never been the same since the Demon, Siverex, was subsumed into Hannibal’s form. Still, for a man that struggles with evil every day, he has strong virtues.”
    Human Bard 2 / Cleric 1 / Mystic Theurge 5 / Acolyte of the Skin 3 / Sublime Chord 2 / Mystic Theurge 5 / Nightmare Spinner 1 / Mindbender 1
    Spoiler
    Show

Domains: Charm, any one other.
    Stats: Charisma (maximised), Wisdom (high), then Con, Dex, Int, Str.

Non Lawful (Bard), Non Good (Acolyte of the Skin)

Feats:
    [Human] Dreadful Wrath.
    [Level 1] Versatile Spellcaster.
    [Level 3] Heighten Spell.
    [Level 6] Fell Frighten.
    [Level 9] Haunting Melody
    [Level 12] Doomspeak
    [Level 15] Practiced Spellcaster (Bardic)
    [Level 18] Extra Music

Flaw Options: Coercive Spell, Charnel Miasma (requires Death Domain), Extend Supernatural Ability.

Prerequisites:

Hannibal has a great number of prerequisites, which require a huge investment in skill points. For this reason, a high intelligence would be useful.

Bluff 4 Ranks [Nightmare Spinner]
    Intimidate 4 Ranks [Nightmare Spinner]
    Sense Motive 4 Ranks [Nightmare Spinner]
    Knowledge (Arcana) 13 Ranks [Sublime Chord]
    Listen 13 Ranks [Sublime Chord]
    Perform (Any) 10 Ranks [Sublime Chord] – I suggest Oratory, because it just works thematically.
    Profession (Astrologer) 6 Ranks [Sublime Chord]
    Spellcraft 6 Ranks [Sublime Chord]
    Knowledge (Arcana) 6 Ranks [Mystic Theurge]
    Knowledge (Religion) 6 Ranks [Mystic Theurge]
    Knowledge (The Planes) 6 Ranks [Acolyte of the Skin]
    Bluff 4 Ranks [Mindbender]
    Diplomacy 4 Ranks [Mindbender]
    Intimidate 4 Ranks [Mindbender]
    Sense Motive 4 Ranks [Mindbender]

Fear Effects:

Hannibal has a vast amount of fear effects from which to choose:
    1. His Dreadful Wrath kicks in, boosted by the Charm Domain, whenever he attacks or casts a spell.
    2. When Hannibal uses the Perform skill, everyone within 30’ must save or become shaken, for a number of rounds equal to Hannibal’s Perform check.
    3. Any time Hannibal makes a perform check of 10 or higher, he adds up to +4 to his caster level (Sublime Chord).
    4. Charnel Miasma allows Hannibal to escalate a shaken effect to panicked to panicked with a single enemy within 30’; and finally
    5. Fiendish Glare makes Hannibal able to stun and shake opponents up to 100’ away, with no chance of failure (for the shaken effect) for ten minutes, as a supernatural effect.

Cromwell

“Cromwell is a good friend, if a touch enamoured with combat. You should not believe a word he says, even though his tongue be dripping with honeyed words.”
    Rogue 4 / Barbarian 1 / Fighter 1 / Scarlet Corsair 9 / Invisible Blade 5
    Spoiler
    Show

Race: Human.

Alignment: Neutral Good

Ability Scores: 18 Cha ideal, Intelligence 13+ & a good Dexterity. Assume 18 Cha + 4 level advancements = 22 Charisma (+6 modifier)
    Feats:

Human: Dreadful Wrath
    L1: Nymph's Kiss
    L3: Point Blank Shot
    L6: Imperious Command (Drow of the Underdark)
    L9: Weapon Focus (Dagger)
    L12: Combat Expertise
    L15: Surprising Riposte (Drow of the Underdark)
    L18: Quick Draw

Fighter 1: Far Shot

Sneak Attack: 4d6, 7d6 with Dagger.

Skills:

Bluff 23 Ranks (8 Ranks needed for Invisible Blade)
    Intimidate 23 Ranks.
    Sleight of Hand: 23 Ranks
    Sense Motive 6 Ranks (Invisible Blade)

Method:

When Cromwell feints in combat, it is as a move action freely (Improved Feint); or, as a swift action (Invisible Blade, errata); Cromwell may also feint as a free action, but then has to wait 1d4 rounds before he can do so again (Corsair’s Feint).

His feint is around +31 (+23 Ranks, +6 Charisma, +2 Nymph's Kiss).

When Cromwell demoralises someone using the Intimidate skill, everyone within 30’ is affected, and lasts for rounds equal to Cromwell’s Charisma modifier (assume 6 rounds). A foe that is effectively demoralised cowers for one round, and is shaken thereafter for one round (Imperious Command).

His Intimidate checks are around +31 (+23 Ranks, +6 Charisma, +2 Nymph's Kiss). No magic is included in this.

When Cromwell attacks, he starts with a swift feint. If he does feint successfully, then the enemy is flat-footed. If that fails, then he goes for a free feint (Corsair’s Feint). If any of these feints work, then the enemy is flat-footed for a full round; i.e, all attacks are sneak attacks.

Then he takes a full attack action, which triggers the Dreadful Wrath. Assuming he hits with any of this attacks from a full attack action, an opponent is shaken (Dreadful Wrath).

If the feint has worked, then all attacks are sneak attacks. Cromwell then reduces his sneak attack dice by 2d6, and uses Frightening Lunge (Scarlet Corsair), which renders the foe shaken, which, if part of a full attack action, then makes the target frightened.

The next part of this build depends on whether or not you allow Dragon magazine. If you do, then you have to grab Sneak Attack of Opportunity, from issue #340. Using this feat, any Attacks of Opportunity are Sneak Attacks. You need Combat Reflexes or Evasive Reflexes as a prerequisite feat for this.

Sudden Draw from Complete Scoundrel can achieve a similar effect, far more efficiently: Quick Draw is a useful prerequisite, and so long as you have maximum ranks in Sleight of Hand, you can draw a concealed weapon as an immediate action to deliver an attack of opportunity. That opponent is treated as flat-footed against that attack. Remembering that the dagger is an easily concealed weapon (PHB, Pg 82), the reflexive Spot check of an enemy is going to quite difficult (1d20 + 2 (Dagger) + Dex Mod + Ranks), you have an effective counter attack method.

I always recommend that any sneak attacker take Acrobatic Backstab and Spot the Weak Point (both Skill Tricks from Complete Scoundrel).

For this build, I would also recommend two other aspects:

Complete Champion’s Lion Totem Barbarian Class Substitution (Pg 46), because Pounce adds to this build immeasurably; and Taking Improved Trip, or specialising in tripping. It helps to provoke Attacks of Opportunity, and it also decreases the chances of anyone being able to run, so it then increases the chances of a cowering status.

Cromwell works well with Vern; they flank very well together, forcing lots of escalating fear checks.

Cromwell does not create a lot of the fear effects; however, when he acts synergistically with a fear-inducing party, he can be devastating.

The Invisible Blade could very easily be swapped out for Avenging Executioner for another, devastating build.

Seldon

“Seldon has learned more about magic than any of us could aspire to; his magic transcends magic, and it ventures into the realm of the supernatural.”
    Build: Sorceror 1 / Cleric 1 / Dread Witch 5 / Mystic Theurge 5 / Nightmare Spinner 1 / Dweomerkeeper 7.
    Spoiler
    Show

Seldon casts as a 17th Level Cleric, and as a 6th level Sorceror.

Prerequisites:
    [Dread Witch]: Base Will Save +4, Knowledge (Arcana) 3 Ranks, Ability to cast Cause Fear and Scare – all achieved by 2nd level.
    [Nightmare Spinner]: Bluff 4 Ranks, Sense Motive 4 Ranks, Intimidate 4 Ranks.
    [Dweomerkeeper]: Knowledge (Arcana) 8 Ranks, Spellcraft 8 Ranks, Any Item Creation Feat, any metamagic feat. Access to the Magic Domain.

Race: Human

Domains: Deathbound and Magic Domains. If you are willing to give up the Deathbound Domain, Divine Magician is an excellent substitute.

Feats:

Human: Precocious Apprentice (learning Scare).
    L1: Dreadful Wrath.
    L3: Heighten Spell [Metamagic]
    L6: Versatile Spellcaster
    L9: Fell Frighten.
    L12: Create Wondrous Item.
    L15: Free: Practiced Spellcaster (Cleric)
    L18: Free: Suggest Metamagic.
    Sorceror 1: Scribe Scroll [Item Creation].

ACF: Metamagic Specialist (PHB2): Familiar lost, replace with rapid metamagic casting.

The Cleric is actually the most difficult of the fear builds, as there aren’t too many divine-specific abilities that are fear related. So then, the cleric in this party takes on four roles:

1. Improving fear escalation.
    2. Healing, specifically at a range.
    3. General blasting. Note that Seldon can cast as a 6th level caster (the entry to Mystic Theurge is created from the combination of Versatile Spellcaster and Heighten Spell).
    4. Item Creation.

Tactics:

If the enemy needs to be attacked from a distance, use the combination of Spectral Hand and any spell which allows you to deliver a melee touch attack (inflict minor wounds is a nice choice) or Blade of Pain and Fear (Spell Compendium), which allows you to make touch attacks that require a Will Save or become frightened for 1d4 rounds.

Of course, the usefulness of Spectral Hand in association with the various Cure spells cannot be underestimated; the cleric need not enter combat to heal a comrade if they so choose; if they do, then they have Combat Casting to aid them.

In a grapple, of course, Blade of Pain and Fear is even better. First of all, with Still Spell, you have no somatic components. The casting time, and lack of material components (it only has a divine focus; they don’t need to be at hand) mean that this spell can be cast in a grapple; it requires a Concentration Check (DC24). Combat Casting adds +4 to this roll. You can, of course, have the spell cast and then get ready for the grapple.

Finally, if you can pin your opponent for one round, that enemy cannot escape; if they are at a panicked status (such as by being hit with a Fell Frightening Blade of Pain and Fear), they cannot escape, so they just cower. They lose their dexterity bonus, and take no actions, at which point, it is easy to maintain the pin, use Freeze the Lifeblood or use Earth’s Embrace.

If you take a full attack action with a Blade of Pain and Fear available, then the Dreadful Wrath in combination with the Blade of Pain and Fear will automatically make the enemy panicked.

Master of Terror and Fearful Empowerment mean that a fear descriptor can be added to any visual spell, twice per day, and from this the DC increases by +2, and makes the enemy shaken. This, in conjunction with the Blade of Pain and Fear is a very potent combination.

Add in the Horrific Aura and Greater Master of Terror (Dread Witch), and you have a very scary cleric; not even fear immunity helps.

There is lots of space available in this build by changing feats. Access to the Dream domain is very useful (immunity to fear) so that Seldon can be in the area of effect of a fear spell.

Don’t forget that Doom is a divine spell, only, so Marha can be devastating from level 1.

It is very important to note that while clerics don’t get a lot of access to illusion spells, the level of Nightmare Spinner adds one spell, per level, to each spellcasting class. The spell has to be an illusion, but (and this is important), you can use Versatile Spellcaster to make less useful lower level spell slots into higher level spell slots. If you have access to Dragon Magazine, there is a 2nd level illusion Divine spell, Phade’s Fearsome Aspect, which makes The target gain a +5 bonus on Intimidate checks and can demoralise as a swift action.

I am sure you don’t need me to tell you about Dweomerkeepers. Certainly, you could decrease other classes by two levels to get the excellent Cloak of Mysteries.

Adan

“Adan is a complex man. He is a telepath, a mind reader, and intensely insightful. He can make anyone fear him – even me.”
    Human Wizard 9 / Mindbender 1 / Nightmare Spinner 5 / Dread Witch 5.
    Spoiler
    Show

Notes:
    This build is very strongly based on my Dreamtwister build. (A note from Caedrus I think)
    Domain Wizard Variant (Complete Champion, Pg 50).

Alignment: Any non-good.

Sources:

Mindbender: Complete Arcane, Pg 54.
    Nightmare Spinner: Complete Mage, Pg 74.
    Dread Witch: Heroes of Horror, Pg 98.

Feats:

L1: Dreadful Wrath (Player's Guide to Faerun, Pg 38)
    L3: Fell Frighten (Libris Mortis, Pg 27)
    L6: Daunting Presence (Libris Mortis, Pg 27)
    L9: Frightful Presence (Draconomicon, Pg 102) (nice, but not essential)
    L12: Arcane Disciple (Complete Divine, Pg 79) (Deity with the Death Domain; see Charnel Miasma, below.
    L15: Charnel Miasma (Complete Champion, Pg 57) (used in combination with Arcane Disciple; purely optional)
    L18: Invisible Spell (Cityscape)

With the exception of Dreadful Wrath, these feats are able to be taken at pretty much any level. I would probably be inclined to take Arcane Disciple and Charnel Miasma earlier, but that is just me.

The Fear Factor:

1. You are Immune to Fear (Nightmare Spinner 1)
    2. Dreadful Wrath: If you charge, do a full attack, or include someone in your area of effect, it causes a 20’ radius that shakes an enemy.
    3. Daunting Presence: 30’, Will save or be shaken for 10 minutes.
    4. Fell Frighten: Any damaging spell causes the target to become shaken for one minute. Very useful against multiple opponents.
    5. Inspire Fear: (3+Cha Mod) per day, 30’, Shaken for (Nightmare Spinner Levels) rounds. Successful save halves the duration. Standard Action.
    6. Nightmare Phantasm: (3+Cha Mod) per day, any will save to disbelieve any figment or glamer spell makes the target shaken for one round (no save)
    7. Spirit Chill: If you make someone shaken, they take 1d6 nonlethal damage; frightened, they take 2d6 damage; panicked, 3d6 damage. Any non-damaging, Fell Frightening spell you cast that causes a fear effect, which causes damage, which means that it causes a further shaken effect.
    8. Deadly Nightmare: 30’ Range, 3 times per day. Will Save (DC10 + Class Level + Cha Modifier). Supernatural effect. If successful, they panic for one round.
    9. Fearful Empowerment: You can add a Fear effect to any spell with a visual manifestation.
    10. Master of Terror: You increase the DC of all your fear-based spells.
    11. Absorb Fear: Any fear effect that could affect you (note that you are immune, thanks to Nightmare Spinner) increases your DCs further.
    12. Delay Fear: Have all those delightful fear effects hit all at once. Very nice if they also can't run.
    13. Horrific Aura: Enemies can't even approach within 10' due to fear.
    14. (Best of all) Greater Master of Terror: You can now affect those immune to fear effects.

Essential Tactics:

First and foremost, if your enemy is immune to fear (until such a time as Dread Witch lets you punch through their immunity), fall back to one of your other options. You know, the ones that you are able to do since you’re able to cast 9th level Arcane spells, and (potentially) cast them as supernatural spells, at that.

For those not immune to fear, get yourself a nice, 20’ area of effect spell. Widen Spell and Enlarge Spell are your friends, here. My favourite spell for this is Mind Fog. Then, make it a Fell Frightening spell; it doesn’t matter if it doesn’t deal damage. Everyone makes a save as the Dreadful Wrath kicks in. If anyone fails their save, they are shaken, which means they take damage (thanks to Spirit Chill), and therefore they get hit with another shaken effect, escalating them to frightened. If they have failed their save against the Mind Fog and the Dreadful Wrath, that’s -12 to their will saves. Now is the time to hit them with an Invisible Evard’s Black Tentacles, or another Mind Effect. Or a Glamer...

Nadia

“I first met Nadia past the mists of Ravenloft. There is no single creature alive more able to create fear from the mists of illusion. Her creations are as beautiful as they are terrifying."
    Bard 4 / Illusionist 1 / Dread Witch 5 / Sublime Chord 1 / Shadowcraft Mage 3 / Sacred Exorcist 1 / Divine Prankster 2 / Nightmare Spinner 3.
    Spoiler
    Show

Race: Gnome.

Alignment: Neutral Good. Sacred Exorcists must be good, and Bards may not be lawful.

Abilities: Intelligence 13+, and the higher the Charisma, the better.

Feats:
    Level 1: Heighten Spell
    Level 3: Fell Frighten (Libris Mortis)
    Level 6: Spell Focus
    Level 9: Arcane Thesis [Silent Image]
    Level 12: Free. I would suggest Doomspeak (Champions of Ruin) to make your enemies suffer -10 to their saves.
    Level 15: Free. See Suggestions, below.
    Level 18: Free. See Suggestions, below.

Feat Suggestions:

As NineInchNail suggested in his Shadowcraft Mage Handbook ( http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=655556), Earth Sense / Earth Spell are an excellent combination, as is Melodic Casting. I would also recommend Melodic Casting or Extra Turning (PHB). Doomspeak has been included but it is not necessary. Being able to debuff the enemy is extremely important in fear builds, which is why if you can get an enemy affected by Mind Fog, you utterly should.

Notes:

ACF: I would suggest swapping Inspire Courage with Inspire Awe. However, you don’t need it.

Skills:

To be honest, there is a very heavy skill requirements for this build, mostly due to the ridiculously byzantine requirements. It's a good thing that since Nadia needs at least a decent intelligence (13+, but 14 is worth the point for the skill point) she will get 56 Skill Points for her first 4 levels, which will go a long way towards all the skill requirements.

Build Method:

This is a fairly involved build, so I shall go level by level.

Level 1: Bard 1. Lots of Skill Points, Gnome Bard Substitution, Divine Bard Variant (Unearthed Arcana).
    Level 2: Bard 2. You need to take Cause Fear (Bard1) as a known spell.
    Level 3: Bard 3.
    Level 4: Bard 4. You need to take Scare (Bard2) as a known spell.
    Level 5: Illusionist 1.
    Level 6: Dread Witch 1. The save DC of any fear spell increases by 1. Add bane and doom to wizard spell list as 2nd-level spells. Bonus to all Intimidate skill checks equal to +2 per class level.
    Level 7: Dread Witch 2. Add Charisma modifier to bonuses vs. Will saves. Add in absorb fear, which makes any fear effect empower Nadia’s spells, until she becomes immune, at least.
    Level 8: Dread Witch 3. Fearful Empowerment 2/day. If it has a visual manifestation, we can add in a fear descriptor, and a Will save or be shaken. We can also delay the onset of any fear effect, which is tactically massive when working with a fear using party.
    Level 9: Dread Witch 4. Fear immunity is now useless to you.
    Level 10: Dread Witch 5. Horrific Aura and Reflective Fear are just the icing on the cake at this point.
    Level 11: Sublime Chord. Not much more needs to be said, other than we need to take Dismissal as one of our spells, and one shadow spell, perhaps Shadow Conjuration, as our level 4 spell.
    Level 12: Shadowcraft Mage 1. Concealment. Useful.
    Level 13: Shadowcraft Mage 2. Silent Illusion. Very useful.
    Level 14: Shadowcraft Mage 3. Here we go. Let’s change those figments into shadows, and really start scaring people. Now, since we are using the Wizard (Illusionist) levels as a basis for our Sublime Chord, we should make certain that the spells which we heighten to higher levels come from our pool of Wizard spells, but it doesn’t really make much difference.
    Level 15: Sacred Exorcist (Complete Divine, Pg 56). What? Where did Sacred Exorcist come from? Well, we need some turning attempts, and this is the best place. As well as netting Exorcism, we also get Turn Undead (3+Cha Mod / Day).
    Level 16: Divine Prankster 1. Inspire Courage, which adds to our previous 4 Bard levels, which now means we can enrage enemies (Races of Stone, Pg 108). Nice.
    Level 17: Divine Prankster 2. Infuse Figment. If we use one of our Turning attempts, we can add 10 to the DC of a figment spell. Wow.
    Level 18: Nightmare Spinner 1. If you normally prepare spells (I do, as a Wizard), I can prepare and cast one additional illusion spell per level, per day? Great. But wait, there’s more: If you don’t need to prepare spells (which, as a bard, and also as a Sublime Chord, I don’t), you gain one extra spell slot per spell level, which can be used only to cast an illusion spell. So, you’re saying I get an extra (wizard) illusion of levels 1 through 3, an extra (bard) illusion of levels 0 through 2, and an extra (Sublime Chord) illusion of levels 4 through 9. Wow. That’s generous. And I’m also immune to fear? Sweet.
    Level 19: Nightmare Spinner 2. Inspire Fear (3 + Cha Mod / Day). Shake somebody for 3 rounds? OK.
    Level 20: Nightmare Phantasm. Well, that’s just the best thing, ever.
    Other Things to Remember:
    Having taken the Gnome Bard Racial Substitution Level at Level 1, Nadia can Counter Fear (instead of Countersong), and you get dancing lights, ghost sound and prestidigitation as o-level bard spells. We haven’t taken the 3rd level substitution level, since we want to inspire our comrades in their Intimidation effects.

Having taken the Gnome Bard Racial Substitution Level (Level 1), Nadia can use her Wizard level as the caster level for her racial spell-like abilities. That’s rather nice, as is getting illusion spells at a discounted level (Races of Stone, Pg 149).

Caster Level:

“A Sublime Chord’s caster levels for both her Sublime Chord levels and the spells she gains from other arcane spellcasting classes is determined by adding her Sublime Chord level to her level in another arcane spellcasting class.” (Complete Arcane)

Since Dread Necromancer adds to Wizard (Illusionist), then the Sublime Chord caster level is (Wizard (Illusionist) + Dread Necromancer caster levels (4) + Sublime Chord levels (1)) 5, and the levels of Divine Prankster (2) and Nightmare Spinner (1) and Shadowcraft Mage (5) make a 13th level caster.

I would suggest Practiced Spellcaster to increase this by 4.

Variants and Thoughts

You might want to exchange a level of Nightmare Spinner for a level of Shadowcraft Mage. I have included the level of Nightmare Spinner because of this combination:

1. Fell Frighten allows you to alter a spell that deals damage (to become shaken for a minute).
    2. Silent Image, amongst other illusions, does not deal damage.
    3. Spirit Chill (Nightmare Spinner 3) causes any spell that has a fear effect to take (non-lethal) damage.
    4. Nightmare Phantasm (Su): Beginning at 2nd level, when you cast a figment or glamer spell, you can choose to weave a thread of nightmare phantasm into it as a free action. The spell gains the phantasm descriptor. Each time any enemy attempts a Will save to disbelieve the affected illusion spell, a tiny portion of the spell transforms into a phantasm effect that targets that enemy. The enemy becomes shaken for 1 round (no save). This ability has no other effect on the original spell's duration or effectiveness.
    Interpretation Time:
    The text of Shadow Illusion (Races of Stone, Pg 122) states that the Shadowcraft Mage “is able to infuse some of her figments (examples given, including Silent Image) with material from the Plane of Shadow, making them partially real”. There is no point at which the application of Shadow Illusion is applied, but the inference (to me, at least) is that it is during the casting.

The text of Nightmare Phantasm (Complete Mage, Pg 74) states that “when you cast a figment or glamer spell, you can choose to weave a thread of nightmare phantasm into it as a free action. The spell gains the phantasm descriptor. Each time any enemy attempts a Will Save to disbelieve the affected phantasm spell, a tiny portion of the spell transforms into a phantasm effect that targets the enemy. The enemy becomes shaken for one round (no save). This ability has no other effect on the original spell’s duration or effectiveness.” (Emphasis mine).

Player’s Handbook (Pg 139) states that the time impact of a free action “is so minor that they are considered free. You can perform one or more free actions while taking another action normally.”

Thus, you can apply a Nightmare Phantasm to Silent Image (which is a figment), gaining the phantasm descriptor. Not replacing, but gaining. A disbelief Saving throw is added or the enemy becomes shaken. Note that Nightmare Phantasm has no other effect on the original spell’s duration or effectiveness. From there, you apply a Shadow Illusion, making it now a Phantasm, capable of dealing real damage.

From there, Spirit Chill kicks in: Creatures affected by a fear effect you cause (whether by a spell, class feature, or other effect) take nonlethal damage as well, depending on the potency of the fear created. Any creature that is shaken takes 1d6 points of nonlethal damage.

From there, Fell Frighten kicks in: You can alter a spell that deals damage to foes so that any creature subject to fear effects and mind-affecting spells and abilities that is dealt damage also becomes shaken for a minute.

End Result:

Any time you cast a Fell Frightening Silent Image, the enemy also becomes frightened, since they have two fear effects, which escalate, resulting in a frightening effect.
    But, the problem is the pesky high Will Save enemies that just always seem to make their save. Well, why don’t we add in Infuse Figment. There is no indication of time required to infuse the figment, other than expending a turn attempt. If we do this, the DC is increased by 10. That's rather a lot.

Oh, and if we use our Fearful Empowerment, they get a Will Save or that frightening just turned into a panic. We can only use this twice per day.

Other Thoughts:

You will have noticed that, apart from the few spells required for the build, very few specific points about this build have been nailed down. The reliance on Illusion spells has been noted; it follows that Evocation and Conjuration would be the prohibited schools. Focussed Specialist, from Complete Mage, is certainly an option.

Certainly, another level of Sublime Chord doesn’t hurt, either.

Vernon ('Vern') Karache.

“There is more to Vern than meets the eye. He is magnificent, and terrifying.”
    Race: Desert Half-Orc (Unearthed Arcana)
    Build: Barbarian 2 / Half-Orc Paragon 3 / Fighter 10 [ACF] / Champion of Gwynharwyf 4 / Horizon Walker 1 (Desert)
    Spoiler
    Show

ACF Notes: Zhentarim Soldier Substitution Levels (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a).

Alignment: Chaotic Good.

Abilities: 18 Charisma, 13 Strength. Assume 4 points go into Charisma, up to 22.

Feats:

L1: Nymph’s Kiss
    L3: Menacing Demeanour (Races of Destiny)
    L6: Imperious Command
    L9: Righteous Wrath
    L12: Knight of Stars (Book of Exalted Deeds)
    L15: Frightful Presence (Draconomicon)
    L18: Endurance
    F1: Power Attack
    F2: [Free]
    F3: Skill Focus (Intimidate) – Zhentarim Soldier.
    F4: [Free]
    F6: Resounding Blow
    F8: Improved Critical (Scimitar)
    F10: [Free]

Intimidation:
    +23 Ranks
    +3 Skill Focus (Intimidation)
    +4 Menacing Demeanour
    +4 (Racial) Monstrous Mien
    +6 Charisma
    +2 Nymph’s Kiss

+42 Subtotal.

Fear Methodology:

Vern doesn't even need to hit you, you see his magnificance and just cower. Unless you can make a DC43 check (1d20 + Hit Dice + Wisdom Bonus + Fear Modifiers), assuming Vern rolls a 1. Vern needs to be able to work in a party of predominantly good characters.

Vern does this with no specific equipment, grafts, incarnum, or Tome of Magic.

So, each round, as a swift action, Vern can demoralise as a swift action (Zhentarim Soldier). When he does so, everyone within 10’ has to make a roll (Never Outnumbered skill trick) (once per encounter). If Vern successfully demoralises an opponent, they cower for one round, and are shaken for one round thereafter (Imperious Command). However, then that fear is extended for 24 hours (Zhentarim Soldier), and if they leave Vern’s sight, and then see him again, they must make another check, at -4 (Zhentarim Soldier).

When raging, it gets harder for the enemy. Anyone approaching within 30’ must make a Will Save against this same Intimidate check. Those who fail become shaken for 1d4+1 rounds (Champion of Gwynharwyf), or the duration of Vern's rage (whichever is longer); then, the Intimidating Rage allows for a demoralisation as a free action within 30’ (Intimidating Rage). If Vern attacks an evil enemy, they must make a Will save (DC19) or be shaken (Righteous Wrath) or possibly frightened (Frightful Presence). When the rage ends, Vern is not fatigued (Horizon Walker).

If Vern actually attacks someone and crits (Vern has Improved Critical), the enemy must make a Will Save (DC28) or cower for a round (Resounding Blow). Just a standard attack (not even a hit) means that everyone within 30’ must make a Will Save (DC28) or become shaken for 1d6+8 rounds if they have less levels than Vern (Frightful Presence). Because Vern has taken the Lion Totem variant, he loses his barbarian fast speed, but he can make a full attack after a charge.

Oh, and Vern has a Base Attack Bonus of +20, and lots of free feats.

Alternate Builds: Human with Jotunbrud and Dreadful Wrath; Dungeon Crasher at Fighter 2 & 6. Exotic Weapon Master with the Show Off trick to add another +19 to an Intimidate check.

I am a big fan of exchanging Horizon Walker with Marshall to motivate the Charisma of the entire party, and it works thematically with Vern as well.

Dedication: Vern is based quite closely off a character I played for many years. Aah, Vern, how I miss you.

Roleplaying Notes: The Zhentarim are an evil organisation, and why how a character becomes a Champion of Gwynharwyf from being part of an evil organisation is simply put; Vern’s original alignment was chaotic neutral; when he left the Zhentarim, his alignment slowly became Chaotic Good as he realised the horror he had inflicted on his fellow man. Determined to redeem himself from his dark past, he has embraced the need to use his anger for good.

Sonja

“And, finally, me.”
    Human Bard 1 / Cleric 1 / Necromancer 1 / Mystic Theurge 5 / Dread Witch 1 / Nightmare Spinner 1 / Sublime Chord 2 / Dread Witch+4 / Nightmare Spinner +2 / Mystic Theurge +2
    Spoiler
    Show

Domains: Charm, Death.

ACF: Inspire Courage swapped for Inspire Awe (Dragon Magic). If half-elf is used, swap Countersong for Soothing Voice.

Alignment: Neutral Good.

Feats:
    [Human]: Dreadful Wrath.
    [Level 1] Versatile Spellcaster.
    [Level 3] Heighten Spell.
    [Level 6] Free: Nymph’s Kiss suggested.
    [Level 9] Free: Fell Frightening Suggested.
    [Level 12] Free: Charnel Miasma suggested.
    [Level 15] Free: Doomsong suggested.
    [Level 18] Free: Requiem suggested.

Flaw and other feat Options: Coercive Spell, Invisible Spell.

Prerequisites:

[Dread Witch]: Base Will Save +4, Knowledge (Arcana) 3 Ranks, Ability to cast Cause Fear and Scare.
    [Nightmare Spinner]: Bluff 4 Ranks, Sense Motive 4 Ranks, Intimidate 4 Ranks.
    [Mystic Theurge]: Knowledge (Arcana) 6 Ranks, Knowledge (Religion) 6 Ranks.

Notes:

Sonja casts from four spell lists: Bard, Cleric, Wizard and Sublime Chord. As such, she gains a bonus illusion spell, of each level, for each class. You might want to make sure your DM agrees with the wording of Nightmare Spinner, which states: If you normally prepare spells, you can prepare and cast one additional illusion spell per spell level each day. This ability works just like (and stacks with) a specialist wizard's extra school spell. If you don't need to prepare spells, you gain one extra spell slot per spell level, which can be used only to cast an illusion spell.

My interpretation (which I think is RAW) means that Sonja gets a lot of bonus spells, on top of being able to combine the spell slots (Versatile Spellcaster). She casts 9th level Arcane spells (from Sublime Chord), and gains access to the Bard spell list; she casts as an 8th level cleric, as well as functionally up to 6th level as a Necromancer. Note that one of the Mystic Theurge arcane advancement levels can be placed into Bard, if you feel so inclined; with Mystic Theurge, you get to choose each level.

Sonja’s Fear:

1. Inspire Awe (Bard ACF): To be affected, an enemy must be within 30 feet and be able to hear the bard perform. The effect lasts for as long as the enemy hears the bard perform and for 1 round thereafter. Each enemy can attempt a Will save to negate the effect; the DC is equal to the bard's Perform check result. Regardless of the success or failure of the save, no creature can be affected by inspire awe more than once in a 24-hour period. Inspire awe is a mind-affecting fear effect. Note that it is a mind-affecting fear effect; this means that Requiem (Libris Mortis) can be used with it. Thus, you can strike fear into the undead.
    2. Charnel Miasma: Charnel Miasma (CC57): As a standard action, one foe within 30’ can be shaken for one minute if they fail their Will Save. If the enemy is already shaken, they escalate to panicked. You also gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting death spells.
    3. Dread Witch 1. The save DC of any fear spell increases by 1. Add bane and doom to wizard spell list as 2nd-level spells. Bonus to all Intimidate skill checks equal to +2 per class level.
    4. Dread Witch 2. Add Charisma modifier to bonuses vs. Will saves. Add in absorb fear, which makes any fear effect empower Sonja’s spells, until she becomes immune, at least.
    5. Dread Witch 3. Fearful Empowerment 2/day. If it has a visual manifestation, we can add in a fear descriptor, and a Will save or be shaken. We can also delay the onset of any fear effect, which is tactically massive when working with a fear using party.
    6. Dread Witch 4. Fear immunity is now useless to you.
    7. Dread Witch 5. Horrific Aura and Reflective Fear. Awesome.
    8. Nightmare Spinner 1. Lots of bonus spells, particularly illusions, which will come in handy later... And I’m also immune to fear? Excellent.
    9. Nightmare Spinner 2: Nightmare Phantasm: Auto-shaken on an illusion? Wow.
    10. Spirit Chill: Fear adds damage. Nice.
    11. Doomsong: A massive range, and it causes -10 to saves – Very nice.

Note that if Sonja really gets a moment or two to prepare, there are all sorts of nasty tricks:

Fell Frightening Magic Missiles; Doomsong followed by Mind Fog; Boosting your Charisma with Eagle’s Splendour, and the Charm Domain, and Nymph’s Kiss, and a Circlet of Persuasion – there’s +9 DC to a lot of the Will Saves, for a start.

Oh, and there’s also the ninth level spells, as well.

Roleplaying Note: The version of this character I use is half-elven, and loses Dreadful Wrath, as it is a fairly strong Diplomacy build as well. Note that, depending on your interpretation of Sublime Chord, the caster level may be low; in which case, Sublime Chord 2 adds up to +4 to Caster Level, and Practiced Spellcaster might also be a worthwhile addition.

Nobuo the Taskmaster
    Changeling Rogue/Fighter/Avenging Executioner/Exotic Weapon Master/Thayan Slaver/Dread Witch.
    Spoiler
    Show

str:8 dex:10 con 14 int: 14 wis: 10 cha: 18
    Spoiler: Build
    Show
    Level Class Feats Abilities
    1 Changeling sub level rogue Able learner Take 10 on intimidate checks, sneak attack, 10 skillpoints
    2 Thug Fighter (UA) Join the Land of Honor Affiliation (PHB2)
    3 Thug Fighter (UA) Scathing wit (DrComp), Intimidating Strike (CW) Bonus feat
    4 Zhentarim Fighter (CoV) Skill Focus (intimidate) skill focus intimidate
    5 Thug Fighter Combat Panache, Never outnumbered skill trick (CS) bonus feat, Fearsome Roster Teamwork benefit (HoB)
    6 Zhentarim fighter (CoV) Imperious Command (DotU) Extended intimidation
    7 Avenging Executioner (CS) Bloody Blade, sudden strike
    8 Avenging Executioner (CS) Rapid intimidation (move action)
    9 Thayan Slaver (UE) Precocious Apprentice (CA) Ruthless beating, enervating attack. Land of Honor affiliation Score 11: (+2 racial bonus on intimidate checks)
    10 Thayan Slaver (UE) Break will
    11 Fighter weapon focus (whip or net) bonus feat
    12 Exotic weapon master (CW) practiced spellcaster (CA) Exotic weapon stunt: Showoff
    13 Fighter
    14 Fighter Fighter bonus feat bonus feat
    15 Zhentarim Fighter Extra spell (cause fear) (CA) Swift demoralization.
    16 Dread witch (HoH) Unnatural will (HoH) Master of terror. +2 to intimidate checks per level. Unnatural will.
    17 Dread witch (HoH) absorb fear
    18 Dread witch (HoH) feat fear empowerment
    19 Dread witch (HoH) Delay fear, Land of Honor affiliation Score 16: (+4 racial bonus on intimidate checks)
    20 Dread witch (HoH) Horrific aura, reflect fear

So what do we have @ 15th level:
    Before round 1: use Scathing wit to begin fight. Target takes 1 wisdom damage and has -1 to attack rolls for (charisma bonus) rounds.
    Round 1: Duel of wills before initiative: they submit, take -2 to initiative and another -1 to attack this round. Ignore or participate, you get bonus to attack and target takes 1 wisdom damage.
    Swift Imperious never outnumbered Demoralize: All within 10 feat of target cower, drop items, -2 all rolls, no dex bonus. All take 1 wisdom damage
    Move
    Intimidating Attack: target is shaken for the rest of the encounter, target takes 1 wisdom damage. Because they have no dex bonus, they can be treated as flat footed, so avenging executioner's Bloody Blade comes into play, everyone who can see your attack has to make a will save or be shaken for 2 rounds.

Not bad, on round 1, you successfully did 4 wisdom damage to 1 target, made 1 or more opponents within 10 feet of him drop their weapons and cower and take 1 wisdom damage, and opponents within 30 feet had to make a will save vs. being shaken.

Round 2:
    Move action: Combat panache: Sneering Glower the opponent you just struck. He takes 1 wisdom damage. He also takes -4 to attacks.
    Standard action: Exotic weapon stunt: showoff: target becomes shaken for 1 round, takes 1 wisdom damage:
    Swift action imperious demoralize someone else: target cowers, takes 1 wisdom damage.

Main target has taken 6 wisdom damage. And people are starting to panick.

Round 3:
    Choose any combination of moving, intimidating striking a cowering or panicked dude, sneering at the guy you hit last turn, and showing off, swift imperious demoralizing anyone you haven't explicitly targeted yet.

I do suppose that there is room for maiming strike and craven in this build somewhere to do massive charisma damage on your intimidating strikes, but you won't get to really enjoy the build until a level over 10.
    Last edited by herrhauptmann; 2016-01-15 at 01:32 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

HH's additions part 1.

This will be a list of everything I add to the above posts (should be fairly short)

Classes/PrC
    Death Delver
    Dragonsong Lyricist.
    Ghostwalker.
    Initiate of the Dragon.
    Menacing Brute
    Talon of Tiamat.
    Thayan Slaver
    Zhentarim Skymage.

Feats
    Frightful Presence
    Evil Brand.
    Dark speech
    Dark whispers
    Filthy outburst
    Menacing Demeanor
    Mortifying Attack
    Murderous Intent
    Natural Bully

Races
    Hellbred.

Items
    Shrouds of the unholy.

Rules
    Alternate use for Intimidate in starting a bar fight.
    Last edited by herrhauptmann; 2016-02-19 at 01:19 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Homebrew and third party ideas.

I'm usually against suggesting homebrew, but I've noticed a few spots where it's plausible.

ex: We have 3 non-dragon magazine alternates of the Paladin which are evil. Paladin of Slaughter, Tyranny, and the Blackguard. So there are evil alternates of a lot of the paladin features, feats, and spells.
    We even have an Expanded Aura of Courage; which I think means we can get the evil alternate Expanded Aura of Despair.

If anyone has any similar logical suggestions, I'll add them here.
    Last edited by herrhauptmann; 2016-01-11 at 06:41 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

And one last post, reserved just in case.

At this point, y'all can start responding if you wish.
    Last edited by herrhauptmann; 2014-12-21 at 03:05 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Good call on saving this. Did Caedrus ever make any other volumes in his Art of War series? I haven't been able to find any.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

I love fear effects! An excellent resource.

For some minor suggestions, just browsing this, it's hard to read. It'd be easier if you bolded/made larger important things, like under stages of fear.

Also, for the various builds, it'd be nice to have something super brief describing the build.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know if Caedrus ever did another art of war handbook, but I also haven't tried looking for any others.
    Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    I love fear effects! An excellent resource.

For some minor suggestions, just browsing this, it's hard to read. It'd be easier if you bolded/made larger important things, like under stages of fear.

Also, for the various builds, it'd be nice to have something super brief describing the build.
    First post has been formatted. It's not gonna get done all in one night; especially not with the holidays coming up.
    Each build does have a bit of flavor text in the spoiler, but I'll see about adding some sort of description. Even if only just moving the race/class to outside the spoiler.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

This sat on the backburner for a very long time.
    Fortunately staying on the nightshift for your weekends gives plenty of time for things like this.

I would like to get some critiques out of everyone again. If you have something I missed (entirely possible), please say so.
    I'm going to see about getting some references for the equipment list, and tightening up the reference format. Name:sourcebook and page. With an appendix at the bottom specifying what each reference is.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by herrhauptmann View Post
    This sat on the backburner for a very long time.
    Fortunately staying on the nightshift for your weekends gives plenty of time for things like this.

I would like to get some critiques out of everyone again. If you have something I missed (entirely possible), please say so.
    I'm going to see about getting some references for the equipment list, and tightening up the reference format. Name:sourcebook and page. With an appendix at the bottom specifying what each reference is.
    Later today, I'll post my death by wisdom drain (thayan slaver) build for you to incorporate. It basically uses any excuse it can to do saveless wisdom damage by maximizing the number of opportunities to make intimidate checks.

Also, magical locations, teamwork benefits, and team companions from DMG2 are missing.
    Last edited by daremetoidareyo; 2016-01-11 at 09:21 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I've added a link to this from the Index of 3.X WotC Threads.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!" – Kubrick, "Dr. Strangelove"
    I do still exist. I'm active on discord. Priestess of Neptune#8648

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GilesTheCleric View Post
    I've added a link to this from the Index of 3.X WotC Threads.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    Later today, I'll post my death by wisdom drain (thayan slaver) build for you to incorporate. It basically uses any excuse it can to do saveless wisdom damage by maximizing the number of opportunities to make intimidate checks.

Also, magical locations, teamwork benefits, and team companions from DMG2 are missing.
    The builds above aren't mine, but I'll throw yours in there if the community doesn't see any mistakes in it.
    I haven't had my dmg2 in years. Not even a pdf copy, think you can summarize?

Edit:
    I haven't really looked through Eberron yet, and don't have Dark Sun or 3.5 Ravenloft.
    Last edited by herrhauptmann; 2016-01-11 at 11:57 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Link to fear based wisdom damage build.

Another thing that the fearmonger build above can do is to just do wisdom damage by making a non-demoralizing intimidate check! Cityscape:
    Spoiler: Picking a Fight
    Show

The tavern brawl is a staple of many D&D adventures—a chance for PCs to fight in a less deadly way.
    Intimidation: Most bar fights start not with a thrown punch but a thrown insult. To taunt a bar patron, make an Intimidate check opposed by the target’s modified level check (1d20 + character level or Hit Dice + target’s Wis bonus [if any] + target’s modi- fiers on saves against fear). If you succeed, the target glowers but doesn’t counter your insult. If you fail, the target responds with an insult directed at you. If you fail by 5 or more, the target throws a punch at you.

Other ways to boost intimidate:

DMG 2 has a little something called a companion spirit on page 194.

Spoiler: Rules for acquiring a companion spirit
    Show
    The process of attracting a companion spirit begins with a group of at least two and no more than eight creatures gathering for a brief magic ritual.
    The creatures in the group must each have at least 4 Hit Dice and an Intelligence score of 3 or higher. Other than the Hit Dice requirement, the requirements for connecting with a companion spirit are the same as for establishing a team roster, and in the vast majority of cases, the PCs will use the same roster for both team-based benefits. No creature can be connected to more than one companion spirit, since the second spirit won’t establish a connection to a creature already under another spirit’s companionship.
    The hour-long ritual to attract and bind a companion spirit requires one of the creatures on the team to succeed on a DC 15 Spellcraft check. The ritual is simple enough that a PC can simply take 10 on it—there’s no consequence for failure other than a wasted hour. By burning a series of rare reagents (worth 300 gp per team member), the team convinces a companion spirit to approach. The exact order of the reagents burned determines the kind of companion spirit that approaches, chosen from those described below.
    Once attracted, the companion spirit connects to each character in turn, taking a measure of their life force (300 XP each). Once the companion spirit has bound itself to the team, the ritual is nearly complete. By consensus, the team members choose the companion spirit’s characteristics, selecting one from the list of general qualities and one from the list of specific qualities. Once the team makes this choice, they gain the 1st-tier benefits associated with each chosen quality, and the ritual is complete.

The Chain Companion Spirit does the following: 1st-Tier Benefit: Each day, the companion spirit offers a bonus pool on Intimidate checks equal to twice the number of team members. For example, a five-creature team would have a +10 bonus pool. A team member can claim up to half (round up) of the Intimidate bonus by taking a free action to do so prior to making a Intimidate check. Once part of the bonus pool is claimed, the size of the bonus pool shrinks accordingly for the rest of the day.

PHB2:
    Land of Honor Affiliation p.172.
    Gain up to a +8 racial bonus on intimidate checks by completing quests for the Land of Honor affiliation and by gaining levels in fighter or monk. The Blah Blah of Kord Affiliation from Complete Champion can get you a +2 to your intimidate checks.

Heroes of Battle p. 117
    Teamwork benefits are things that you train to do with your buds. They are covered in DMG 2, Heroes of Battle and PHB2. If your DM plays with enemies that make morale checks...

Spoiler: Fearsome Roster
    Show

By taunting your enemies and projecting an air of menace, your team can send them fleeing from the field of battle. Training: Intimidating enemies is more than an individual effort once the members of your team have practiced together enough to earn this teamwork benefit. Even in a fight, your collective body language exudes dangerous menace, and each team member responds to comrades’ telling blows with war cries and demoralizing taunts.
    Task Leader Prerequisite: Intimidate 8 ranks.
    Team Member Prerequisite: Cha 13 or Intimidate 1 rank.
    Benefit: Enemies who can see at least two members of your team take a penalty on morale checks equal to 1 + one-quarter of the Hit Dice of the lowest-level member of the team. Tips: If your team has acquired this benefit, you should be keenly aware of the conditions that force your enemies to make morale checks. Usually, individuals make morale checks when they fall to half their hit points or less, and the surviving members of units make morale checks when half their original numbers have fallen or fled. See Morale Checks, page 72 of HOB, for more information.

Lords of Darkness
    Spoiler: p. 125 The Ritual of the Shadowmantle
    Show

One can invoke this power once per day, with a duration of 1 minute. The recipient gains a +2 circumstance bonus on all Intimidate checks and a +1 deflection bonus to Armor Class. While surrounded by the mantle, the recipient also gains darkvision with a range of 60 feet and a +3 saving throw bonus against any holy, good, or light spells or effects.
    Sharran clergy typically utilize this ritual as a means of displaying their power, and to frighten or cow their enemies. The recipient must surrender 500 XP and offer a black sapphire worth at least 2,000 gp to Shar.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

At the risk of committing thread necromancy, I noted an issue in Nadia's build. Sublime chord has Bardic Lock at 1st level, which prevents any further progression in any class except Chord. What's the workaround? Am I missing something?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Just saw this was posted in today, wanted to point out, Eviserator, and Death Master from Libris Mortis. On a critical hit with a melee weapon target is shaken, and with Eviserator, all allies of creature within 30' are shaken. Both effects last a minute. If you have a reliable way to get a critical hit then its a good no save Shaken that can be added with a melee. Added with everything else it should be fairly easy to cause a large number of creatures to start panicking.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Jack View Post
    At the risk of committing thread necromancy, I noted an issue in Nadia's build. Sublime chord has Bardic Lock at 1st level, which prevents any further progression in any class except Chord. What's the workaround? Am I missing something?
    Yes, you are missing something: Bardic Lock isn't a feature of the Sublime Chord prestige class. Always reference the source material when double checking someone else's work, to make sure you aren't getting something wrong from the internet :)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Love the handbook; glad to see it's being preserved! There's one use of intimidate I didn't spot: Duel of Wills (Tome of Battle, pg 27). At the instant a battle starts, you single out an enemy and roll opposed intimidate, giving the winner +1 to attack and damage and the loser -1 to both for the whole encounter. If they ignore the challenge, a simple DC 15 check gives you the +1 bonuses for one round.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by herrhauptmann View Post
    Fearsome Armour: Applied to an armour or shield, you can activate it as a swift command to make every creature within 20’ panic for one round. One a successful DC16 Will save, the enemy is shaken for one round instead. You can use this three times per day. Magic Item Compendium, Pg 11. This item has a CL of 7, costs 15,000 g.p, but does not increase the ‘plus’ of the armour or shield.

Menacing Armour: As a standard action, you can activate menacing armour. Any one creature within 30’, with fewer Hit Dice than yourself, needs to make a Will Save (DC 10 + 1/2 your HD + your Cha modifier) or be panicked for 5 rounds. Success means that the target is shaken for 1 round instead, and is immune to the fear for 24 hours. You can use the fear ability three times per day. Magic Item Compendium, Pg 13. This item has a CL of 9, and costs 30,000 g.p.

The magic items list is missing another armor property, which...is confusingly also called "Fearsome", from Drow of the Underdark. It's pretty affordable, only a flat cost of 5000 gp, and lets you use Intimidate to demoralize as a move action.
    Obviously pairs best w/ a caster or martial adept, who mostly relies on standard actions anyway. But a useful tool for anyone w/ Intimidate investment.