New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 53 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5: Score and Nine

Q103

Does a corruptor of fate(MMIV) attack(ranged/melee) offer a Save?

From the block i infer that he has the bestow curse ability at will DC 16, said ability applies to all his attacks.
    Does the victims of this attacks have to fail ST to be afflicted?

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q104: From PHB pg. 129, a Riding Dog costs 150gp. From MM2 pg.219, buying a creature with the warbeast template costs 50 gp/HD for a warbeast of 3 HD or less. A Riding Dog with the template has 3HD and is thus 150gp.

Am I missing something or is it a more powerful animal, for exactly the same price?
    You think Tucker's Kobolds were bad, now imagine them with Rust Monster Mounts. Oh and they're druids, that use wooden armor. Thank-you and Have a Nice Day

Libris Mortis isn't as bad latin as people say.

Terrible Winterwolf Slayer avatar by myself. Check out the others on my extended signature.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 104 Yes, you're missing something.

There is no "Riding Dog with the [Warbeast] template". This template can only be applied to a base Animal. A Riding Dog is already trained for combat.
    Dog, Riding

This Medium dog is specially trained to carry a Small humanoid rider. It is brave in combat like a warhorse. You take no damage when you fall from a riding dog.
    The Monster Manual describes a few “war creatures” that have qualities similar to those of a warbeast but differ from standard creatures of a given kind. These creatures are considered to already have a separate “war template” and cannot have the warbeast template added. For example, one cannot apply the warbeast template to a heavy warhorse.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 105
    Two questions about Empathic Transfer and psicrystals.

105 A
    Can a psion use Empathic Transfer to repair a psicrystal?
    I know psicrystals, being constructs, can't be affected by healing spells or powers; however Empathic Transfer doesn't have the (Healing) subdiscipline, and it says that you are "transferring some of its damage to yourself", thus I'm wondering if it makes it an exception.

105 B
    If a psion manifests Empathic Transfer and use the "Deliver touch powers" ability to make his psicrystal the toucher, will the damage healed be transfered to the psicrystal rather than the manifester? Similarly, can the psicrystal absorb diseases or poisons into itself this way (being itself a construct, and thus immune)?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

5. - Top - End - #215
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't know what the protocol is for not being noticed due to being the last one on a previous page so I'll just repost my questions here once.

Quote Originally Posted by Zethex View Post
    (...)
    Q 100
    If a Familiar has a higher default BAB than their master, which one do they use? This is what has me confused

Quote Originally Posted by PHB
    It retains the appearance, Hit Dice, base attack bonus, base save bonuses, skills, and feats of the normal animal it once was,
    Attacks: Use the master's base attack bonus, as calculated from all his classes.
    I am asking because I am getting the Air Elemental Familiar from the Raptoran Sorcerer level 1 racial substitution. Small Air Elementals normally have a BAB of 1 while Sorcerers start with 0.

Q 101
    Saving Throws: For each saving throw, use either the familiar's base save bonus (Fortitude +2, Reflex +2, Will +0) or the master's (as calculated from all his classes), whichever is better.
    Do I use the saves indicated in bold or do I use the Small Air Elemental's actual saves? If it is the latter, am I correct in assuming that its Fort/Ref/Will saves are 0/3/0?

Q 102
    Does a Familiar also gain the Alertness feat herself or does she only grant it to her master? If the former, then does she always have it or also only when at arm's length?

[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Zethex; 2015-01-16 at 10:47 PM.
    Thanks to zimmerwald1915 for giving me the random on-the-fly pic he made as an Avatar. You're awsome zimmerwald1915!

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 102 Just the master.
    Alertness (Ex): While a familiar is within arm’s reach, the master gains the Alertness feat.
    The familiar gains plenty of abilities, but not this feat.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

A 103Anyone struck by the corruptor of fate's short sword attack must make the save or be affected by the curse. Regardless of whether or not they fail to save against the curse, they still take damage.
    This does not appear to apply to its composite shortbow attack- the attack does not have "bestow curse" listed with its damage. This makes sense- the curse affects those "touching or touched by... its weapons" and someone hit by an arrow is not touching the weapon, as arrows are ammunition not weapons.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi omniam pecuniam mihi dabis, saxum immanem ad caput tuum mittam.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Q 106
    Is there any way to increase the Save DC of the special abilities of summoned Outsiders* if the Save DC is based on an ability score other than Str or Con**?

*So not Greenbound Summoning (applies only to Summon Nature's Ally) or Rashemi Elemental Summoning (applies only to Elementals).

**Because Augment Summoning already helps with these.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi omniam pecuniam mihi dabis, saxum immanem ad caput tuum mittam.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q107
    Regarding the Graft Flesh feat: Can an undead character receive an undead graft and still reap the benefits of the graft?
    Warforged Avatar graciously provided by linkele!

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 107 No.

Even in the Libris Mortis text of Graft Flesh, this restriction exists:
    Quote Originally Posted by Graft Flesh
    You can create grafts of your chosen type and apply them to other living creatures or to yourself.
    Undead need not apply.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

A 106

You can always use the normal attribute increasing spells, but I do not know about an ability that increases other ability scores on the summoned creature without using another action.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Q:108

Noob question but how often can you use power attack? Once per day? Does it scale with level? Unlimited? I'm looking for a page number if possible.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 108
    Benefit: On your action, before making attack rolls for a round, you may choose to subtract a number from all melee attack rolls and add the same number to all melee damage rolls. This number may not exceed your base attack bonus. The penalty on attacks and bonus on damage apply until your next turn.
    You may use Power Attack on your turn, before making attack rolls for that round; there are no use limitations other than that. That normally would mean you could use it every round, however making any attacks of opportunity in the round before your turn precludes using Power Attack. Power Attack is on page 98 of Player's Handbook.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Halfling in the Playground

Q 109

Do NPC classes start out with maximum hits for their hit die
    like player classes do?

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

A 109:

It's not a matter of the classes; it's a matter of the characters. Insignificant NPCs are made using the standard array and rolled hit points. PCs and significant NPCs are made using the elite array (or better, depending on the table) and maxed first HD. Significant characters usually have PC classes and insignificant characters usually have NPC classes, but that's not always true.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

A 109

Looking at sample characters from the MM that have a level of Warrior, they receive average HP for their first HD, not maximum.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q110

Is there any reason why I couldn't be able to cast benign transportation on my expeditious messenger (a diminutive construct) and myself? It seems too cheesy to be true.
    Last edited by Darxbloop; 2015-01-17 at 05:55 PM.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

A 110:

I don't know the details of Expeditious Messenger (what book is that from?), but it certainly works with familiars. Yes, it can be handy utility to have, but remember you have other party members, too.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 111

Is there any rule in the DMG that limits the enhancement bonus on ability enhancing items? Could I craft a belt of giant strength +8?
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

20. - Top - End - #230
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Q 112

Does the Freedom of Movement spell protect against an Air Elementals whirlwind ability?

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 111

You certainly can craft such an item. The rules here explain the pricing.

A 112 Partially.
    Creatures trapped in the whirlwind cannot move except to go where the elemental carries them or to escape the whirlwind.
    Freedom of Movement negates the above property of the Air Elemental's Whirlwind special attack. FoM does not affect the damage done by the winds.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q113

As a ninja from Complete Adventurer, if I were to use the Ghost Step ability to become invisible for one round, do I get any bonuses (sudden strike) to my damage if I attack something that cannot sense me?

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 113 Usually.

Being visually undetectable gives you +2 to attacks against sighted opponents, and denies your opponents any Dexterity bonuses to AC. This latter benefit is the enabling requirement for sudden strike.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 107 No.

Even in the Libris Mortis text of Graft Flesh, this restriction exists: Undead need not apply.
    107b: what if a living creature gets the graft, then goes Necropolitan afterwards?
    Warforged Avatar graciously provided by linkele!

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 107b

Most grafts require attachment to living flesh to function; that includes undead, deathless, elemental, and plant grafts as well as the more common race-based types. The rules don't state how quickly a graft will die when it's no longer attached to a living body; you'll need to talk to your individual DM about that.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q 107 c
    Because the entry for Graft Flesh says 'other living creatures or yourself' does that mean a non-living creature can apply grafts of its own creation to itself, or does the 'other' imply that oneself is assumed to be living too?

Q 107 d
    While we're at it, doesn't that wording technically preclude non-living creatures from applying grafts to anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 107c

As worded, Graft Flesh can only be used by living creatures.

A 107d Yes.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 108: The Aspect of the Wolf spell from spell compendium apparently changes your creature type into Animal, which then makes you a valid target for Awaken, correct?
    Awaken would then replace your Intelligence with the result of 3d6, which I suppose you could have maximized (18) or even maxed+empowered (27). It also seems to add 1d3 to your Charisma score, and gives you 2 animal HD. It then changes your creature type to magical beast.
    When your Aspect of the Wolf spell wears off, are you still a magical beast?
    Would repeating this cycle push your Charisma and HD even higher?
    Is there something in here that doesn't work by RAW?
    My Homebrew and Extended Signature
    Current avatar: Charza Sahlaren, by gr8artist

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 108

If you can manage caster level 145, you could make Aspect of the Wolf last slightly longer than 24 hours, the casting time of Awaken; that's what's necessary to make this combination work. A duration of 24 hours or under would be insufficient to have the spell requirement (Animal type) in place throughout the casting of Awaken.
    Spell Failure

If you ever try to cast a spell in conditions where the characteristics of the spell cannot be made to conform, the casting fails and the spell is wasted.
    If you could manage CL 145, the Instantaneous result would occur as specified (type Magical Beast), and you could even apply Maximize Spell metamagic to gain 18 INT.

At the Epic levels necessary for this result, 18 INT, +3 CHA and +2 HD of Magical Beast are underwhelming.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

A 108 continued:

Note that a maximized empowered Awaken wouldn't give you a 27 Int, unless you were very lucky. It would give you 18 + 1/2 (3d6) , or an average of about 23.