New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default (IC) Dragon Age Pathfinder

Denerim. The crown jewel of Ferelden. A city of life, of sound, of endless light. But no longer were those lights the lights of a city of trade, but rather the fires of war. It had been a week since the Archdemon was slain. Even now the fires are barely being put out. But today is not a day to mourn the loss of life. For today, the King will deliver his speech, deliver his proclamation to his subjects. It was decided by Queen Anora that in respect of those lost, that a week of mourning would be observed before any celebration would be had.

All of you did your part in the Blight. For Yedis, it was from the Brecillian Forest, with the rest of your clan, coming to fight in Denerim's back alleys, your spells cutting down the fell servants of the Archdemon. For Dali, a dwarven templar, accompanying the remaining mages of the circle, warding your charges from darkspawn in the Market district, your lyrium given powers cutting down a Hurlock Mage. And for Saarebas and Jimbo, it was on the steps of the palace that your earned your honor, Saarebas driving his fists into the flesh of a massive ogre, while Jimbo rained bolts down on its head, finally felling the beast.

It was for these actions, and the actions of your brothers and sisters, that you have been invited to the palace in Denerim to hear the King's speech. It is a resounding hit among the nobles and the commoners and soldiers. Anora's parts are obvious, working with the preservation of the land and the power of Ferelden. But Alistar shines through in his glorifying of the bravery and courage of the common soldiers. He calls to all of you to remain strong, to help him restore Ferelden to what it once was.

And then it is done. There is a party, of course, but for you, the work is just beginning. No matter what the King says, Ferelden is in tatters. Infrastructure is shattered, supply lines cut, and the South of Ferelden still teems with Darkspawn. And one way or another, whether your Captain ordered it, your dreams willed it, or your employer paid you to, that's where you are headed. To the South, to the Wilds. Reports have come in of a powerful magic wielding Hurlock who had gathered together many Darkspawn. Scouts had returned from the area recently with the news, and the Ferelden Army deemed the threat worth investigating. But this is not a problem for a legion of troops, but a small squad, capable of moving quickly and hiding, of exercising judgement beyond the scope of orders. Hence, you.

Which leads you to the gates of Denerim, your gear assembled. The scout captain is waiting for you. "Welcome. I hear you are in charge of cleaning up the Darkspawn in the Wilds. I lost four men to that bastard. He's not stupid like most of the Darkspawn. He's cunning. And he can use magics. If you get a chance, kill him fast."
    Last edited by Toxic Mind; 2014-12-23 at 07:53 PM.

Marcus Caius, Astropath Trancendent by TheArchitect

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: (IC) Dragon Age Pathfinder

Dali grimaces.
    I'm sorry for your loss. But your men didn't have our skills. But we'll be careful all the same.
    He looks back at his companions.
    Are you all ready to head out?
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Jimbo nodes the tip of his hood as if it was a hat. Hey there! You must be the welcoming comitee. Sorry to hear about your comrades. Please give us any information you have and think would be useful, like where exactly do you prefer the hole in his head?

Turns to Dali. I'm good.
    "Once, a bear grappled me and I dropped my weapon. She holded me so hard that the only thing I remember is the bear releasing me and running away. All I saw was a huge part of its arm missing and the wound being burned like someone bit it with fire."

The story of a barbarian while resting after being fatigued by his rage

I AM NOT QUITTING ANY GAMES. I'LL KEEP CHECKING THEM AND BE SUBSCRIBED TO THEM UNTIL THE DM DECLARES THEM DEAD.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

"Between the eyes, if you would." The man winces at his tone. "Sorry. Fresh wound. They hid among the trees. A fog came out of nowhere, and they were on us. It wasn't natural. That damned Mage summoned it, I'm sure!"

5. - Top - End - #5

NecromancerGuy

To the man
    Between the eyes it is then! Now tell me, how thick was the fog? Could you see inside of it? Were those creatures able to see you or know your location by any other means? Also, are there any trails left or is there anyone who can describe them?
    To the rest of the party
    Maybe I can trace them in the woods if I have something like an actual footprint or even a sketch of their feet so we can avoid a potential ambush.
    Last edited by skypse; 2014-12-22 at 11:56 PM.
    "Once, a bear grappled me and I dropped my weapon. She holded me so hard that the only thing I remember is the bear releasing me and running away. All I saw was a huge part of its arm missing and the wound being burned like someone bit it with fire."

I AM NOT QUITTING ANY GAMES. I'LL KEEP CHECKING THEM AND BE SUBSCRIBED TO THEM UNTIL THE DM DECLARES THEM DEAD.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

"I couldn't see anything. I only heard the screams. The only reason I'm here is that I was back with another of our scouts who had taken fever. I'm sorry I can't be more help."

7. - Top - End - #7

NecromancerGuy

Can you at least show us where you found the bodies? Or did you just hear some screams and thought "hey those must be my men dying over there"
    Last edited by skypse; 2014-12-23 at 11:49 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

"Boy..." The Captain says menacingly, and his hand moves towards his sword. A staying hand is placed on his shoulder by his lieutenant. The Captain breathes heavily, then with a stoic look on his face, remarks "I marked the ambush site on this map. Now, I have the buisness of my four dead soldiers to account to. If you'll excuse me." His tone makes it clear that the request was formality only. The Captain nods to his lieutenant, and the younger man hands you a map of the Wilds. The two walk briskly away, back into the city, leaving you alone at the gate.

ITEM GET: Map of the Wilds - Details a "safe" route to the Southern Wilds, and notes the ambush site of the four dead scouts.

9. - Top - End - #9

NecromancerGuy

Turns to the rest of the group with a smile:

Ok I think we are set now!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yedis, lost in thought over the recent events, shuffles in behind the others with Winston at his heel. He pays no mind to the conversation going on for one is raging within his own mind.

No, no dwarf women don't have beards ALL the time but the Men have it MOST of the time? Wait how does one tell the bearded women from the non-bearded men... or are the bearded women really men and the non bearded men really women?!?!?! I must sit down and have a proper discussion with Dali on the subject, I wouldn't want to offend my future neighbors once I reclaim the holy land...

At the mention of 'Mage' Yedis snapped out of his internal monologue and blurted "For the last time, it was not me who ate the last biscuit! Those crumbs were planted on me as part of a Darkspawn conspiracy in order to cast aspersions on my character! ...Huh? Oh, right the ugh 'mission'... No need to worry good sir, your Savior has arrived in your moment of need and no foul dark spawn cantrips can withstand my DIVINE MIGHT! Speaking of biscuits, does anyone have a few to spare, oddly enough I am rather hungry."
    Blarg...

11. - Top - End - #11

Saarebas nods his head in response. "I am ready."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Dali nods.
    Let's get going then, before the bastards have time to get away.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

13. - Top - End - #13

NecromancerGuy

Jimbo grabs his mule's bridles and starts walking towards the marked spot on the map.

To Yedis:Create something with your great magic and eat boy! It's a long way ahead.

As soon as the group is close to the forest:

We are getting closer. Be ready for anything. Keep your eyes open and walk carefully.

Spoiler: Perception/Survival
    Show
    Take 10 for perception until we arive at the marked spot. Result 17. In case I need a survival check to follow the map, take 10 on that as well. Result 17 again.
    Last edited by skypse; 2014-12-23 at 02:19 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

The journey across Ferelden is not perilous, though it is far from enjoyable. Most of the people were still still scared, and banditry was common as desperate people resorted to desperate measures. No one is stupid enough or desperate enough to attack a Templar, a Mage, and a Quanari. (I guess Jimbo was suitably intimidating as well.)

You reach the Southern Wilds in quick time, following the road, and steering well clear of the Brecillian Forest. After all, everyone said the werewolves were gone, but there was no sense in taking chances. The first introduction you have to the Southern Wilds is the screaming, Picking up the pace, you come around a bend to find a group of travelers, most look to be farmers or craftsman, desperately trying to hold off a beast that looks more out of nightmares than any nature.

A bearskarn, massive on size and clearly long driven mad by the Darkspawn infestation. Now the beast threatened anything that wandered into its territory, which right now was the group you look down on. Even as you watch, the bearskarn slips past the pitchfork of a man and fells him in one swipe of a massive paw. The angle of the man's neck make it clear even from this distance that the man was dead. Only four men remained between the bearskarn and the women and children, and they couldn't hold out long.

The terrain is flat enough, a few short hills and few rocks to impede your progress, none in between the bearskarn and you. Not that it seems to care, having decided to focus on the farmers rather than your party. You are about 100ft away, and while the wagons of the farmers have been set up to shield the women and children, they would present little obstacle to the bearskarn once the men were dispatched.

You have a choice to make. You can slip by easily enough. But without your aid, the group will certainly perish.
    Last edited by Toxic Mind; 2014-12-24 at 12:14 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

The bearskarn roars, a hideous sounds that bears only a passing resemblance to the roar of a true bear. Its attention almost entirely on the farmers, it seems to be ignoring the party, at least for now. Two swipes of its massive paws and one of the farmers goes down, blood spraying. He does not rise again. With one savage motion, the bear bites down on the farmer's neck, and tears it out. The amount of blood and savagery makes it clear that the man is dead.
    Spoiler: Bearskarn Attack
    Show
    (1d20+6)[21]
    (1d4+3)[6]
    (1d20+6)[24]
    (1d4+3)[4]

The farmers rally, and strike at the bear with pitchforks and small axes, but none of their strikes can seem to land a decent hit on the bearskarn's hide.
    Spoiler: Farmers Attack
    Show

(1d20+2)[7]|(1d3)[2]
    (1d20+2)[12]|(1d3)[3]
    (1d20+2)[3]|(1d3)[1]
    (1d20+2)[11]|(1d3)[2]
    Last edited by Toxic Mind; 2014-12-28 at 12:48 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

The sight of the farmer's blood spraying over the beast's hide is enough to spur Saarebas into action. He moves to help as fast as he can, fingers clenching in preparation.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Going to go ahead and take a swift action to prepare Snapping Turtle Style.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing his comrade rush towards the fray, Dali bolts forward, proving the old adage that dwarves are natural sprinters.
    Get back you men. Let us handle this!

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Run action to get to where I am, letting me move 80. I'm able to move around the threatened area to avoid provoking. m3 and m4 get +1 to AC and Will.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

18. - Top - End - #18

NecromancerGuy

Jimbo says to himself silently.
    That dorf is gonna get his ass kicked if continues to be that reckless. I better distract that monster.

Spoiler: Jimbo's Turn
    Show
    I guess I just do whatever I wrote in the OOC post with the only difference that I move 20ft and draw my crossbow as part of the move action before using the grit point and missing (with that lousy attack roll) the attack on vitals.

19. - Top - End - #19

Yedis raises his hand and shouts with a wild look in his eyes "Infidel! That bear has been sent by the Darkspawn to bring harm to my flock! I shall destroy it and save those harmless beings!" The bald man begins chanting in grunts and causes a mote of light to launch out of his hand into the bear.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Fire a magic missile at the bear enhancing it toppling spell
    damage (1d4+2)[5] +1 from spell and +1 from trait
    CMB to trip (1d20+6)[18] this is very unlikely but who knows right?
    Blarg...

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Welcome back Morbis, and let's keep going.

The bolts impact the bearskarn, and it roars at the pain, though it's stout form weathers the force without incident. Enraged, the bear lashes out at the nearest farmer, claws slicing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+6)[21]
    (1d4+3)[6]
    (1d20+6)[8]
    (1d4+3)[5]

The farmers shout at you. "Our families are back here! Hurry!" Yet none of them make a move to run. Bravery or stupidity, they are in it for the fight.
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20)[8]
    (1d6)[5]

(1d20)[16]
    (1d6)[3]
    (1d20)[19]
    (1d6)[3]

The farmer the bearskarn has targeted goes down, but his sickle fouls the bear's bite. He is out of the fight, but you can see his breathing. His wounds are hideous, but he may yet survive them. The other two farmers make strikes, the first one failing to piece the beast, but the second finding its mark. The sickle sticks in among the bearskarn's spiny hide, and the beast roars in pain.
    Last edited by Toxic Mind; 2015-01-14 at 04:22 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Cursing his own slowness, Saarebas finally closes with the foul beast.

He surges forward, aiming a solid blow at the beast's side.
    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Charging, +2 attack, -2 AC (12)
    Attack: (1d20+5)[10]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[5]
    Crit: (1d20+5)[7]
    Crit Damage: (1d8)[3]

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Dali steps into range and lashes out and the beast with his shield, preparing to block if the beast retaliates.
    By the Stone, get out of the way you fools! Let us handle this beast!

Show
    5ft step up into range
    Initiate Angering Smash (if this hits, the enemy takes a -4 to hit anything but me until my next turn)
    Attack: (1d20+5)[10]
    Crit Attack: (1d20+5)[8]
    Damage: (2d6+3)[6] (extra d6 is from Snapping Turtle Stance)
    Crit damage: (1d6+3)[8]

Until next turn: If I would be hit, initiate Iron Shell (make a shield bash against the attack roll to block, my roll gets my shield bonus)
    Shield bash attack roll: (1d20+8)[19]

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

23. - Top - End - #23

NecromancerGuy

Jimbo:

C'mon baby... Don't let me down this time!

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Move action to reload, standard action to attack on the bear's vital spots using grit point once more.

Attack (1d20+1)[3] +6 -5 from called shot against touch AC
    Damage (1d8)[4]
    Confirm [roll]1d20 +1[/roll]
    Damage (2d8)[7]

24. - Top - End - #24

Yedis mutters incoherently and lifts up his robes as he stomps closer to the beast, he really wanted to save those people but he had to consider the larger picture and he only had so much energy in a day to allot to random beasties.
    Blarg...

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Though fierce, the party cannot penetrate the hide of the bearskarn. However, they do succeed in drawing its attention, a move that may not be the most wise. The bearskarn turns, enraged, on Saarebas, the closest, and lashes out, attempting to grab the Qunari with his massive paws.
    Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    Claws: (1d20+6)[19]
    (1d4+3)[7]
    If Hit: Grapple Attempt: (1d20+11)[19] vs CMD
    Bite: (1d20+6)[14]
    (1d4+3)[5]

The farmer drags his unconscious friend back behind the wagons, and takes up position there, preparing to defend his family if the party should fall.
    Last edited by Toxic Mind; 2015-02-03 at 10:10 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Dali snarls as the bear mauls his friend.
    Oi, I'm over here, you daft beast!
    He swings his axe low at the creature's ankles

Show
    Initiate Snapping Strike (+1d6 damage)
    Attack: (1d20+5)[6]
    Crit: (1d20+5)[21]
    Damage: (1d10+3)[9]+(1d6)[1]
    Crit Damage: (2d10+6)[24]

If I'm attacked, Iron Shell to counter
    (1d20+8)[9]

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

27. - Top - End - #27

The beast latches onto Saarebas with its claw and bites deeply into the Qunari's shoulder. All Saarebas can hope to do is escape its deadly embrace.
    Spoiler: Grapple CMB roll
    Show
    (1d20+6)[10]

28. - Top - End - #28

NecromancerGuy

Oh my God this is getting pretty ridiculous! And now I don't even have a clearshot. God damn bear!

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Move action to reload, Move action to get closer

29. - Top - End - #29

Yedis sighs and shoots another magic missile at the damn bear, not wishing to hit his stalwart guardian. The orbs forms and lances towards the deranged bear, hoping to knock the damn thing off of it's feat.

Show
    When the dice roller hates you avoid rolling! Adding toppling spell for tripping
    damage (1d4+2)[5]
    CMB for trip (1d20+6)[26] ...may the dice gods be gracious for once

Thank you dear dice gods I shall sacrifice one copy of 5th edition and 4th edition in your honour.
    Last edited by Morbis Meh; 2015-02-05 at 12:53 PM.
    Blarg...

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

The bearskarn takes the hit in it's hind leg, and the blast knocks it akimbo. It falls heavily to the floor, and Saarebas, once encased in the bear's deadly paws, is thrown backwards, landing 10 ft away. The bear angrily stands (provoke AoO from all but Saarebas) and swipes at Dali. The warrior swings back to counter, but the bear manages to duck the blow.

Spoiler: Attack
    Show

(1d20+6)[16]
    (1d4+3)[5]
    Last edited by Toxic Mind; 2015-02-05 at 09:30 PM.