New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default help! need a race!

hi guys i want to ask you: which race is Large, has the lowest level adj AND the lowest INT malus? actually, the better one i found is the half ogre and the goliath (if the bulky race feature can considered Large, must ask my DM), somoene have other idea that can help me? thanks for everything!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: help! need a race!

The Goliath feature makes them count for Large for all purposes beneficial to them while taking the space of a Medium creature. (Prerequisites, weapon wielding, Grappling etc)

For completeness sake, if your group allows Dragon Magazines there is the Half-Minotuar template (+1 LA) which increases a medium or smaller creature's size to one size larger. It also grants increased Str, and Con while taking a hit to Int. Apply to a Goliath, you have a +2 LA large creature with the ability to count as Huge.
    Adaptation of Child of Acavna and Amaznen into a "Spheres Fighter"
    Thank you Ganorenas

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    An Animated Object is a kind of creature. An animated object is a kind of item. So no, you can't apply a template. Unless you were to use animate objects to animate objects into Animated Objects and somehow apply templates while using animate objects to turn animate objects into Animate Objects for your Animated animated Object collection (or perhaps for a friend to watch anime with).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Maynot View Post
    For completeness sake, if your group allows Dragon Magazines there is the Half-Minotuar template (+1 LA) which increases a medium or smaller creature's size to one size larger. It also grants increased Str, and Con while taking a hit to Int. Apply to a Goliath, you have a +2 LA large creature with the ability to count as Huge.
    Instead of Half-Minotaur, you could take Half-Ogre (same source, also LA +1), which increases your size (like Half-Minotaur) and, more importantly, gives you the Giant type. This is vital for one delicious reason - the Primordial Giant template from Secrets of Xen'drik is an LA +0 template which can be added to any Giant, gives you huge boosts to Int and Cha (with corresponding Str and Con penalties) plus some skills, an SLA, and magical knacks.

If Dragon Magazine isn't on the table, you could grab a Half-Giant, but like Goliath that's only a Medium with Powerful Build, not a proper Large. It does, however, immediately qualify you for Primordial Giant.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Not the best option but:
    LA +1
    Goliath Goliath Barbarian 1 has Mountain Rage while makes it literally Large and is compatible with Spirit Lion Totem for Pounce and/or Wolf Totem(at Barbarian 2) for Improved Trip without prereqs.

+2 Int race(say Dwarf, Aleithian): +2 Con, +2 Int, -2 Cha
    Half Ogre: +4 Str, -2 Int, -2 Cha
    Primordial Giant: -4 Str, -2 Con, +4 Int, +4 Cha
    Total: +1LA, +0 Str, +0 Con, +4 Int, +0 Cha
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2014-12-23 at 05:36 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    In addition to Half-Minotaur, you could take Half-Ogre (same source, also LA +1), which increases your size (like Half-Minotaur) and, more importantly, gives you the Giant type. This is vital for one delicious reason - the Primordial Giant template from Secrets of Xen'drik is an LA +0 template which can be added to any Giant, gives you huge boosts to Int and Cha (with corresponding Str and Con penalties) plus some skills, an SLA, and magical knacks.
    Fixed that for you
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

By the way, not relevant to the thread topic but may be useful information for the OP: generally English-speakers use the term penalty, not malus. I know what you're talking about, but you might confuse other posters who are less used to gamers who don't have English as a first language .
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Instead of Half-Minotaur, you could take Half-Ogre (same source, also LA +1), which increases your size (like Half-Minotaur) and, more importantly, gives you the Giant type. This is vital for one delicious reason - the Primordial Giant template from Secrets of Xen'drik is an LA +0 template which can be added to any Giant, gives you huge boosts to Int and Cha (with corresponding Str and Con penalties) plus some skills, an SLA, and magical knacks.

If Dragon Magazine isn't on the table, you could grab a Half-Giant, but like Goliath that's only a Medium with Powerful Build, not a proper Large. It does, however, immediately qualify you for Primordial Giant.
    That disqualifies you for enlarge person, though. If you're making a huge character, you probably don't really care about int/cha. I'd rather be EVEN HUGER.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    That disqualifies you for enlarge person, though. If you're making a huge character, you probably don't really care about int/cha. I'd rather be EVEN HUGER.
    No, half-ogre actually doesn't change your creature type, thus letting you still qualify for Enlarge Person.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Actually, the best primordial giant race has got to be the menta cyclopeans due to then being a medium +0 LA giant without any mental stat penalties.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

the primordial giant template is very interesting...combined with the half-ogre is interesting enough, you can create easily a-ok, but i can't, my master won't allow it. ok i wanna precise my build:

wu jen 15 (at least)
    hulking hurler 2 (at least)

so it leave me with a LA +3 max race.

i can use only monster manual 1 & 3 (my master don't want to use 2,4 or 5)
    you know that the hulking hurler (coplete warrior) can deal over nine thousands of damage in one round. combined with the wu jen, you can add the spell "giant size" (i hope is that the name, i'm italian and not sure) to grow up to colossal size and gain +32 in strenght. other stuff can just go really well, but for the moment i have calculated around 16k of damage each round AND you have also the spell to catch everything.

i have just searched everything, i cannot find any race that is large and with LA of just +3 (LA and racial hit dice combined, our master won't use the buyback option form unearthed arcana).

thank you for the help, i think that i have to do a simple hulking hurler instead of the wu jen combo

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    No, half-ogre actually doesn't change your creature type, thus letting you still qualify for Enlarge Person.
    Ooh, right. Half-Ogre doesn't actually make you a Giant - you keep your type and subtype - but it gives you the Giant Blood ability, allowing you to qualify as a Giant.

And in retrospect, I'm not sure if that allows you to qualify for Primordial Giant.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kaffalidjmah View Post
    i have just searched everything, i cannot find any race that is large and with LA of just +3 (LA and racial hit dice combined, our master won't use the buyback option form unearthed arcana).
    Anthropomorphic Huge Viper Snake or Anthropomorphic Baleen Whale (Savage Species) are large, have 3 racial HD, and LA +0. No Int bonus, though.

Half-Ogre from Races of Destiny is large, no racial HD, and only has LA +2. You can slap the Primordial Giant template on there for +4 Int.

Hornhead Saurials (from the Serpent Kingdoms web enhancement) are the only large-sized humanoids in print. They have 2 racial HD, LA +2, and +2 Int.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Anthropomorphic Huge Viper Snake or Anthropomorphic Baleen Whale (Savage Species) are large, have 3 racial HD, and LA +0. No Int bonus, though.

Half-Ogre from Races of Destiny is large, no racial HD, and only has LA +2. You can slap the Primordial Giant template on there for +4 Int.

Hornhead Saurials (from the Serpent Kingdoms web enhancement) are the only large-sized humanoids in print. They have 2 racial HD, LA +2, and +2 Int.
    you saved me, thank you. savage species i can't use it, and so serpent kingdoms, but i CAN use races of destiny. huber spell-rock launcher incoming!