New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Guessing Crystals undead type thread. E-peen for the winner.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    I may be mistaken, but I believe all illusions we have seen so far (save for the phantasm in the pyramid) have been translucent.
    To my knowledge, every transparent illusion so far has been cast by the Order, or by someone who is acting as the focus character for that particular page and thus would know it is an illusion automatically.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

This is a VERY good point. 99% of the undead we have seen have black speech bubbles, but 100% of the golems we have seen have frankenstein bolts. I think that's a pretty good argument against Golem.
    I love to nitpick but you mean "Flesh golems", not "golems". The "bone golem" doesn't have these things.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    I love to nitpick but you mean "Flesh golems", not "golems". The "bone golem" doesn't have these things.
    What are you talking about? I totally said that.

This is a VERY good point. 99% of the undead we have seen have black speech bubbles, but 100% of the golems flesh golems we have seen have frankenstein bolts. I think that's a pretty good argument against Golem.

4. - Top - End - #124

ElfWarriorGuy

I may be mistaken, but I believe all illusions we have seen so far (save for the phantasm in the pyramid) have been translucent.
    Tarquin's armor isn't translucent.

Edit - For the record, I'm keeping my guess as Revanant as I'm not entirely serious about it being Yor, but the concept turned out to be more plausible than I expected.
    Last edited by Crusher; 2015-01-06 at 01:45 PM.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

My bet:
    Crystal is a lich now.

What? She doesn't look like that other lich we've seen in the comic and attacks by melee? Well, you see, it's Crystal...

She is really bad at it.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

vampire, in diguise controlled by trigaks soul.
    Am A:

Chaotic Neutral Human Ranger/Wizard (1st/1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 15
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 14
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 15
    Charisma- 12

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

Mad props to those that said flesh golem. Totally didn't see THAT coming!

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Where is our E-peens?
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Well, no e-peen for me. Kudos to those who made the right guess.

Peelee’s Lotsey

10. - Top - End - #130

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    The stitched-together appearance argues for either Flesh Golem (perhaps Awakened, as suggested above) or else a Zombie, sewn back up so the (eww) inside bits won't spill out; again, either Awakened or else with some residual vestige of Crystal to recognize Haley.
    Thanks for the mad props. I have never had those before. Although I'm not sure if my above quote qualifies as an official "guess" since it contained an either/or?

Now we move on to the next thread: "Guessing Crystal's Golem Type"! (Although that's probably going to be the subtitle of the discussion thread.)
    Last edited by Darth Paul; 2015-01-12 at 11:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

11. - Top - End - #131

Yay, I called golem! First! On this thread. Also I called other things and totally called golem just to say they're not undead. Which is relevant, but still.

Percentage of fleshy golems with Frankenstein's monster bolt-things suddenly dropped :p
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

12. - Top - End - #132

ElfWarriorGuy

Doubtful she's a fighter illusioned to look like Crystal, either. :(

13. - Top - End - #133
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Congratulations to the correct guessers!

14. - Top - End - #134

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Doubtful she's a fighter illusioned to look like Crystal, either. :(
    Maybe someone cast an illusion on Thog and it was him 2 strips ago :o

Maybe not.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Spamalot in the Playground

Not sure if the above is being silly or not, but that's definitely Crystal. Nobody else in the comic would know the meaning behind "Nice boots" besides the two of them.

Her memories (and possibly even her brain?) are definitely inside that thing. Certainly her class levels are - Bandana capitalized "Sneak Attack," ergo it is the class feature and not simply her ambush, and she used it with her slam to basically one-shot Elan in the surprise round.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

16. - Top - End - #136

But did they guess "Weird New Kind of Flesh Golem"? They don't get any points unless they use that phrase.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zmeoaice View Post
    But did they guess "Weird New Kind of Flesh Golem"? They don't get any points unless they use that phrase.
    I STILL cannot reconcile myself with Crystal being a "weird kind of flesh golem" - at least not yet. Too many problems - not least that she would then usually be composed by parts from several bodies, making it questionable whether she actually was "Crystal" anymore.

Furthermore: How reliable is Haley's guess at this creature, anyway? To properly identify it as a flesh golem (and particularly a form of golem that she hasn't encountered before, a "weird new kind"), she would have to make a Knowledge:arcana check. Which would be cross-class for her. And even though she made an untrained check (an Intelligence check), she would, according to the SRD, only be able to make easy checks with DC10 or less. Thus unable to identify the monster.
    As for the theory of an undead monster - she would have to make a similar (untrained) Knowledge:religion check to identify it.

I think it's quite conceivable that Haley is actually clueless as to what this monster is. She believes it is a Construct, but she isn't skilled enough to identify it with certainty.

Actually - this might just be Rich' way of making fun of the speculations on the forum - "what is that thing?". I still want to believe it can be an undead monstrosity.
    Thanks to Gorbash Kazdar for the avatar: Edhelras Taladin, CG Male Moon Elf Ranger

18. - Top - End - #138

It's not undead.

It's not a revenant. It's a flesh golem. Give it up already.
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyAnonymous View Post
    It's not undead.
    Hah. Don't I feel silly...

I'm left with "I would've liked it to be undead".
    Thanks to Gorbash Kazdar for the avatar: Edhelras Taladin, CG Male Moon Elf Ranger

20. - Top - End - #140
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

<===========3

That e-peen is for all of you that guessed right. I hope it's enough.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

She is flesh golem reanimated through electricity and alchemy.

Like a doctor frankenstein meet doctor Herbert West creature.
    Last edited by Orcus The Vile; 2015-01-14 at 01:29 PM.

22. - Top - End - #142

ElfWarriorGuy

Now wait a second, we still don't know what *kind* of flesh golem she is (Cadaver vs awakened vs house-ruled regular flesh golem vs whatever else), so there shouldn't be any epeen handed out yet.

23. - Top - End - #143

I know Rich already cleared this up but I still wanted to reply to two points here:

Quote Originally Posted by Edhelras View Post
    I STILL cannot reconcile myself with Crystal being a "weird kind of flesh golem" - at least not yet. Too many problems - not least that she would then usually be composed by parts from several bodies, making it questionable whether she actually was "Crystal" anymore.
    If her brain is driving - and given that Grubby creates golems "Frankenstein-style," and that whatever this thing she has become is, it has retained her class levels and memories, this could easily be the case - then it won't matter what other parts are bolted on or from who. The brain would trump everything else as far as setting direction, personality etc. unless proven otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Edhelras View Post
    Furthermore: How reliable is Haley's guess at this creature, anyway? To properly identify it as a flesh golem (and particularly a form of golem that she hasn't encountered before, a "weird new kind"), she would have to make a Knowledge:arcana check. Which would be cross-class for her. And even though she made an untrained check (an Intelligence check), she would, according to the SRD, only be able to make easy checks with DC10 or less. Thus unable to identify the monster.
    OotS tends to fudge Knowledge checks, if they are present at all. We have things like Roy knowing a lot about planar travel and illusions, Haley knowing that flesh golems are healed by electricity and immune to sneak attacks, Haley further knowing that summoned creatures have to follow orders literally, Belkar knowing that greater invisibility still allows you to attack and so on. She might ultimately be wrong, of course, but until we have reason to believe she is wrong she is "innocent until proven guilty" based on what we've seen. (And now we know for sure it is a FG anyway.)
    Last edited by Psyren; 2015-01-15 at 01:14 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #144
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    OotS tends to fudge Knowledge checks, if they are present at all. We have things like Roy knowing a lot about planar travel and illusions, Haley knowing that flesh golems are healed by electricity and immune to sneak attacks, Haley further knowing that summoned creatures have to follow orders literally, Belkar knowing that greater invisibility still allows you to attack and so on. She might ultimately be wrong, of course, but until we have reason to believe she is wrong she is "innocent until proven guilty" based on what we've seen. (And now we know for sure it is a FG anyway.)
    To extrapolate on the knowledge checks, oots makes more sense with theirs. Of course Roy would know more about magic than the average fighter, his father and sister are wizards.

Haley knowing about golems makes sense because she grew up around them thanks to Grubwriggler operating in the same town she lived in. The giant takes into account both circumstance and class when determining what a character should and shouldn't know.

25. - Top - End - #145

Quote Originally Posted by Necrus Philius View Post
    To extrapolate on the knowledge checks, oots makes more sense with theirs. Of course Roy would know more about magic than the average fighter, his father and sister are wizards.

Haley knowing about golems makes sense because she grew up around them thanks to Grubwriggler operating in the same town she lived in. The giant takes into account both circumstance and class when determining what a character should and shouldn't know.
    Indeed - but both of those situations would, if you were to go by the game rules, be represented by a circumstance bonus to the knowledge or spellcraft check in question. They would not on their own allow you to overcome the specific limitation mentioned in this thread, i.e. that they can't make the check at all for a DC higher than 10 unless they are trained.

Now you could say that Haley, in her time as a crook, has encountered Meteor Swarm runes before and thus knows what they look like on sight - despite having previously admitted she doesn't know any 9th-level spellcasters. Perhaps she did sink the necessary points into Knowledge (Arcana) to succeed at that check during combat (and thus unable to take 10 or 20.) Or, you could go with the simpler expedient that skill checks, while present in this world, are a bit fuzzier than the RAW calls for, for the sake of plot and humor.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Indeed - but both of those situations would, if you were to go by the game rules, be represented by a circumstance bonus to the knowledge or spellcraft check in question. They would not on their own allow you to overcome the specific limitation mentioned in this thread, i.e. that they can't make the check at all for a DC higher than 10 unless they are trained.
    Let's think about this for a second.

Roy's dad teaches him about planar travel.
    10 seconds later, someone asks Roy how planar travel works, but he doesn't know because the DC is over 10, despite his father JUST teaching him about it.

That is not how Knowledge checks work.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2015-01-26 at 01:35 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147

ElfWarriorGuy

So, I don't have Savage Species. How does the Incarnate Flesh Golem template work out here?

28. - Top - End - #148
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    So, I don't have Savage Species. How does the Incarnate Flesh Golem template work out here?
    It removes the construct type and replaces it with Humanoid (if the base construct was Medium).

In this context I figure Awakened Construct works better.

Since Bozzok stresses that she's not a normal flesh golem - but retains her "murder skills" and self-awareness.

Maybe uses Crystal's statline - but with golem traits (and maybe hit dice as well?) added on top of the "base Crystal"?
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2015-02-02 at 04:16 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Who did all the maths to figure out the best way to rez Crystal?

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Got it.

Soulfused Construct, Magic of Incarnum, p. 196:

CREATING A SOULFUSED CONSTRUCT

“Soulfused” is an acquired template that can be added to any construct that has neither an Intelligence score nor the living construct subtype (referred to hereafter as the base creature). A soulfused construct uses all the base creature’s statistics and abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type: A soulfused construct’s type does not change, but it gains the living construct subtype (see Living Construct sidebar). Size is unchanged.

Hit Dice: The soulfused construct retains the base creature’s Hit Dice and hit points (but see Advancing a Soulspark, page 198).

Special Qualities: A soulfused construct has all the special qualities of the base creature except its construct traits, which it loses. It gains the living construct traits detailed in the sidebar, as well as the following special qualities.

Essentia Pool: The incarnum possessing the soulfused construct’s form gives it an essentia pool equal to 1 + 1 per 6 HD it possesses.

Soulbound Resistance: A soulfused construct can invest its essentia in this special quality as if it were a soulmeld. Every point of invested essentia grants it a +1 resistance bonus on all saving throws. The maximum essentia capacity of this quality is as normal for a character of the construct’s character level.

Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: Dex +2, Cha +4. The soulfused construct also gains an Intelligence score of 3 and a Constitution score of 10.

Skills: The soulfused construct gains skill ranks equal to its HD + 3. All skills except Speak Language are considered cross-class. Most soulfused constructs spend the majority of their skill points on Listen or Spot, and any odd point that might be left over to learn Common or some other language.

Feats: The soulfused construct gains feats at the rate of 1 + 1/ 3 HD, just as a normal creature does. Common feats selected by such creatures include Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack, Iron Will, and Power Attack.

Organization: Solitary.

Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +1.

Alignment: Usually chaotic (any). The fusion of incarnum and construct rarely produces a disciplined or orderly mindset.

Advancement: By character class.

Level Adjustment: Same as the base creature +1.

Check the Soulfused Flesh Golem example on the preceeding page. It's Crystal.