New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Poker Chips instead of XP

so in a previous thread, it was brought up that some DM's hand out poker chips as rewards for good role-playing as opposed to small xp awards. Doing this would solve a few problems in my game and I was thinking about going with it. I was wondering if any of the DM's that do this have any set rules as to what the different color chips can be redeemed for, and what they may be, and if I could use these rules.

Also, this is going to be used to solve my crafting problem. I never liked having to lose xp to make a potion, so minor consumables (potions, tiles and scrolls) would cost a white chip, and so on.
    Check out my Campaign World, Hiltmarch
    http://www.obsidianportal.com/campai...ikis/main-page

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Somewhere, Conan the Barbarian refuses to weep, and instead curses Crom for permitting WotC to botch his class so badly.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Poker Chips instead of XP

Have you ever looked at Deadlands RPG? The XP rules there are actually BASED on this, while the chips can be used for various short-term effects (like rerolls). This creates a long-versus-short dynamic, where you have to balance short-term survival (it's an unforgiving setting) against gaining permanent power.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

3. - Top - End - #3

BlueKnightGuy

I hadn't looked into deadlands, and after a quick read of the poker chips system in its wikipedia, it looks like the system I want to use. Is there an online guide as to the specific rules for the chips or is it all sealed inside of the books?

Somewhere, Conan the Barbarian refuses to weep, and instead curses Crom for permitting WotC to botch his class so badly.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

If those chips were worth the usual $1, $15, $25, I guarANTEE it would encourage better roleplaying.

5. - Top - End - #5

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
    If those chips were worth the usual $1, $15, $25, I guarANTEE it would encourage better roleplaying.
    the players are already reducing my sanity. No reason they need to reduce my bank account too.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lytokk View Post
    the players are already reducing my sanity. No reason they need to reduce my bank account too.
    Well, a few things to note
    1. You make them buy in. They lose chips for bad roleplaying
    2. You are the judge of good vs bad RP.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Well, a few things to note
    1. You make them buy in. They lose chips for bad roleplaying
    2. You are the judge of good vs bad RP.
    If you're going to be giving them and taking them away, I would use FATE's method: when a roleplaying opportunity arises that would create negative consequences for a character, give the player the choice of a. accepting those consequences and gaining a fate point or b. handwaving over it and losing a fate point.

For example, say Bob's character is a greedy bastard. The party is exploring an ancient temple and stumbles upon a solid gold idol on a pedestal. Alice, the DM, dangles a poker chip in Bob's direction and suggests that perhaps his character, lured by the shiny shinies, rushes over and picks up the idol without thinking. Bob then has to decide whether to go along with it, triggering potentially lethal traps, or spend a poker chip from his stash.

This system has the nice side benefit of incentivizing players to actively look for ways their character's flaws can hurt them so that they can get fate points.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2014-12-29 at 07:59 PM.