Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [PF/Eberron] Eyes of the Lich Queen OOC

Hello everyone, welcome to the first (and hopefully not last) OOC thread for Dusk Eclipse's Eyes of the Lich Queen..... Pathfinder style! As you may know this will be my first real game as a DM so it will be a learning experience for me. Anyway this thread is obviously meant for OOC chatter, so feel free to say whatever you want.

Right now we have 3 party members and the game is meant for a 4 man party, and since I don't like DMPCs I have an offer for you, once we have set up the core party we can open a small recruitment thread for the last member of the party?

Player: CoffeeIncluded Character: Soren Lowell
    XP 15000

Player: Cwater Character Kaarna
    XP 15000

Player: Kish Character: Scholar
    XP: 15000

Player: rypt Character: Athard Cen

Player: Silverraptor Character: Adrianna Isolte

Finally I'll post the Big 16 here for reference in case we ever end up using them
    Spoiler: Big 16
    Show

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    Eberron with a PF twist

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    The game is an adventure path set in Eberron, if the game goes well I have some ideas to expand it past the end of it.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    N/A

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    PBP of course

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    Characters start at level 5 with 15,000 XP

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    WBL, which is 10,500 GP, you can't spend more than 1/3 of it (3,500 GP) on a single item, other than that go nuts

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    No class restrictions at all, though I heavily encourage the use of Path of War classes for melee characters, I'll be making heavy use of it

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    Again, no restrictions but Dragonmarked races are heavily encouraged. PF doesn't really use LA, so if you want to use something with it, talk with me to see how we can convert it.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    25 Point Buy (Epic Fantasy, because I like powerful characters) Here is a handy calculator for you guys also no ability score below 7 and no ability score above 20 post racials please.
    Hit points are Full HD+Con mod for level 1 and 1/2 HD+1+Con mod for the rest of them.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    Eberron has a "shades of grey" approach to alignment, so go nuts, but please remember that for mechanic purposes (spells mostly) your alignment will be used.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    Nope, multiclass at will, but remember that PF encourages single classed characters

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    I reserve the right to roll some secret die from time to time, this includes but isn't limited to passive perception rolls, saving throws, etc. Players will roll most of their stuffs themselves .

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    Nothing that springs to mind right now.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Characters have been working together for a few months when the game starts, other than that feel free to write whatever you want. If you have any questions about Eberron's lore feel free to ask.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    A little bit of everything, I don't want to give everything away , but as a pre-written adventure path there is a lot of focus on combat encounters

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    Everything on the d20PFSRD is open for use, but if you are using any 3rd party material that isn't from Dreamscarred press, please run it by me. I'll probably use some stuff from the PoW Exanded beta test so it is only fair that you also get to use it. Finally since this is an Eberron game I'll have to port things from 3.5, so if you want anything in particular just ask me and we will work to convert it, I think that is all.... oh wait! Magic item compendium is in full use too.

And I think that is all.... for now
    Last edited by Dusk Eclipse; 2015-01-17 at 12:09 AM.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: [PF/Eberron] Eyes of the Lich Queen OOC

This is gonna be great! Even if I don't know Pathfinder that well--I hope I pick up on it quickly!

I'm thinking of playing a half-elf bard named Soren Lowell. I played his half-brother, Blake Lowell (a half-orc ranger in 4E), in a real-life game that sadly died. So I'm retconning them here.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for the vote of confidence Coffee, I'll do my best to not dissapoint. As far as the difference between 3.5 and PF, they are pretty simple (one was built on the skeleton of the other after all), but here is a handy little guide, useful if a little outdated.

Either way, I'm happy about having Soren and Blake on board for the game
    Just call me Dusk

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Hey! I'm new to PF as well.. Just thrown a glance at the 'new' classes (not in 3.5). Would Witch be an okay class to play? It seems interesting.

Also, any ideas for race? Playing human feels a bit dull atm, I think I've been overusing elves and half-elves lately, dwarves aren't really my thing and I'm not that interested in playing a Small character right now either, so that rules out most of the core races. ^^'
    Kaarna, a snarky evil witch.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard to not be useless.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Tournament Chaos

I have a DeviantArt account, yay...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I haven't played it myself but it seems pretty fun, so sure go ahead with a Witch (be sure to check the archetypes too, white haired witch is hilarious IMO).
    As far as races go, Eberron has a motto "if it exist in D&D it has a place in Eberron", so if anything strikes you fancy I say go ahead. I'd personally suggest Changeling (descendants of humanoid/Doppleganger pairings), since they are a 3.5 race there is no official conversion, but this one is pretty good.
    Just call me Dusk

6. - Top - End - #6

Hm, what about a Shifter?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Shifters are also in that link somewhere, but I don't remember being specially impressed with them (which is a shame because shifters are one of my favourite races ever).
    Just call me Dusk

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Shifters are also in that link somewhere, but I don't remember being specially impressed with them (which is a shame because shifters are one of my favourite races ever).
    Why, what's wrong with them?

And aren't witches shamanistic or something?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Many are shamanistic, but not all of them, as always it depends on the player. And apparently they changed the Shifter conversion, the one I remembered had you loosing Int while shifting and I hated that, right now they are pretty good actually.
    Just call me Dusk

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I haven't played it myself but it seems pretty fun, so sure go ahead with a Witch (be sure to check the archetypes too, white haired witch is hilarious IMO).
    As far as races go, Eberron has a motto "if it exist in D&D it has a place in Eberron", so if anything strikes you fancy I say go ahead. I'd personally suggest Changeling (descendants of humanoid/Doppleganger pairings), since they are a 3.5 race there is no official conversion, but this one is pretty good.
    Alright, I'll start building a Witch then!

About Changeling... I'm not sure. They are kind of fun, but maybe not the right one for this character idea that's coming to me. Hmm..

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Why, what's wrong with them?

And aren't witches shamanistic or something?
    Something like that. Basically, I'd like to play an arcane caster and try something new.

EDIT:
    That Shifter however, might work. Will have to look into it.
    Last edited by CWater; 2014-12-30 at 04:57 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by CWater View Post
    Alright, I'll start building a Witch then!

About Changeling... I'm not sure. They are kind of fun, but maybe not the right one for this character idea that's coming to me. Hmm..

Something like that. Basically, I'd like to play an arcane caster and try something new.

EDIT:
    That Shifter however, might work. Will have to look into it.
    A witch and a bard...what kind of spells does a witch have? And glad I could help with the shifter! I do think they work well thematically.

Oh, and CWater, Rhenner's up.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Shifter Conversion, just small house rule because I know how much it sucks to have such few shiftings per day, Shifters can shift 1 +1/4 levels per day and there is a Extra shifting feat (+4 uses per day).

Witches IIRC have a fair amount of debuffing and BFC spells, though they also vary a lot depending on their patron.
    Just call me Dusk

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Shifter Conversion, just small house rule because I know how much it sucks to have such few shiftings per day, Shifters can shift 1 +1/4 levels per day and there is a Extra shifting feat (+4 uses per day).
    Oh, that's really nice of you! I was a bit put off by the fact that they could only shift once per day, but that changes things.

Guess I'm making a Shifter Witch!

Witches IIRC have a fair amount of debuffing and BFC spells, though they also vary a lot depending on their patron.
    Will have to put a lot of thought to that choice. ^^

14. - Top - End - #14

Oh wow, there's a whole wiki for pathfinder Eberron! I need to check that out; is the lore changed? And bards do a lot of buffing and debuffing and support, right? I guess well compare our builds to each other and prevent overlap.

But we still need a fighter, healer, and sneaker, right?

EDIT: Where in Eberron does the game start?
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2014-12-30 at 05:40 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, that's really nice of you! I was a bit put off by the fact that they could only shift once per day, but that changes things.

Guess I'm making a Shifter Witch!

Will have to put a lot of thought to that choice. ^^
    Glad you like that rule, I ran into that same issue when I played the original Dusk.

Oh wow, there's a whole wiki for pathfinder Eberron! I need to check that out; is the lore changed? And bards do a lot of buffing and debuffing and support, right? I guess well compare our builds to each other and prevent overlap.

But we still need a fighter, healer, and sneaker, right?

EDIT: Where in Eberron does the game start?

As far as I know, the lore hasn't changed at all (and it wouldn't be official either way), and please note that wiki I linked is a a fan project so take everything it says with a grain of salt.

As far as party composition goes; in all honestly I don't care, in fact I think non-standard party composition would be fairly interesting, as they say "needs breed creativity"*

And you will be starting in the jungles of Q'Barra to the southeast of Khorvaire.
    Just call me Dusk

16. - Top - End - #16

Glad you like that rule, I ran into that same issue when I played the original Dusk.
    The original Dusk?
    As far as I know, the lore hasn't changed at all (and it wouldn't be official either way), and please note that wiki I linked is a a fan project so take everything it says with a grain of salt.
    Got it! But that's what we're using in the game, right?

As far as party composition goes; in all honestly I don't care, in fact I think non-standard party composition would be fairly interesting, as they say "needs breed creativity"*

And you will be starting in the jungles of Q'Barra to the southeast of Khorvaire.
    Yeah but if there's a bard and a witch a sorcerer might not be a great idea, you know?

Could I say that Soren's from Breland? And is there anything specific you want to do with Blake? Since Blake raised Soren and I figure they both took refuge from the war together he's an important NPC in Soren's life. And thanks!

I'm going to need a lot of help with the sheet since I don't know pathfinder well.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Dusk Eclipse (after who I named myself in the internet) was a Shifter Rogue/Swordsage that I played in the second D&D game I ever played, he also happens to be my favourite character that I've played, so I've translated to almost every system I have played, including 4e, Vampire (nWoD) and PF.

And yeah the wiki is actually pretty good so we will use it when appropriate.

Sorcerer cover utility/blasting, Witch covers BFC and debuffing, Bard covers skills, healing and some more utility, you'd only be missing a meatshield and that is what summons are for

And yes, Blake and Soren can be Breland refuges, will they still be blood brothers?
    Just call me Dusk

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I'm going to need to learn pathfinder myself as well. I'm eager too. How many players are we looking at?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Right now I only have you three, as I mentioned before we can open a small recruitment thread to get one or two more members if you want.

Check the guide I linked earlier for the major changes between editions.
    Just call me Dusk

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    I'm going to need to learn pathfinder myself as well. I'm eager too. How many players are we looking at?
    Hello, fellow player We've "met" before, but I'm not sure if you remember me, since it was quite some time ago.

EDIT:
    Hey Dusk, is there are table or summary somewhere about general changes when a character levels up? Like, in PF they get a feat every second level, right? But what about ability scores?
    Last edited by CWater; 2014-12-30 at 07:32 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Dusk Eclipse (after who I named myself in the internet) was a Shifter Rogue/Swordsage that I played in the second D&D game I ever played, he also happens to be my favourite character that I've played, so I've translated to almost every system I have played, including 4e, Vampire (nWoD) and PF.
    Oh, that's where he's from! He's not your avatar too, is he? I have to say Natalia's my favorite character I've played.
    And yeah the wiki is actually pretty good so we will use it when appropriate.

Sorcerer cover utility/blasting, Witch covers BFC and debuffing, Bard covers skills, healing and some more utility, you'd only be missing a meatshield and that is what summons are for
    Eh, I'd like having a constant one on tap. And not healing all the time.

And yes, Blake and Soren can be Breland refuges, will they still be blood brothers?
    They're half-brothers, yes. Same mother, different father.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    One or two more. You have any characters in mind?

Hello, fellow player We've "met" before, but I'm not sure if you remember me, since it was quite some time ago.

EDIT:
    Hey Dusk, is there are table or summary somewhere about general changes when a character levels up? Like, in PF they get a feat every second level, right? But what about ability scores?
    That would be really handy.

I'm working on (read: struggling with) Soren's sheet right now, I'm not sure if I did the stat spread well enough or anything really. I guess once the basics are done we can tweak it. I also just made and ate dinner--I have no culinary training whatsoever but I like to think I have a pretty decent instinctive knowledge of basic spices.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

EDIT:
    Character Advancement, just note that we are using the Medium Advancement XP progression

Oh, that's where he's from! He's not your avatar too, is he? I have to say Natalia's my favorite character I've played.
    Nope, my Avatar is Dusk Souls (A Runescape character, who is named that way because I used Dusk Eclipse for another RS character and forgot the password to that account ) I do have an Avatar for Dusk Eclipse, which was in fact the first custom avatar I got here

(yes he used a spiked chain)

Eh, I'd like having a constant one on tap. And not healing all the time.
    You asked if it was viable, not if it was good

They're half-brothers, yes. Same mother, different father.
    Duly noted

One or two more. You have any characters in mind?
    I second the question

That would be really handy.
    See above

I'm working on (read: struggling with) Soren's sheet right now, I'm not sure if I did the stat spread well enough or anything really. I guess once the basics are done we can tweak it. I also just made and ate dinner--I have no culinary training whatsoever but I like to think I have a pretty decent instinctive knowledge of basic spices.
    If you need any help, I'm here.
    Just call me Dusk

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I really don't have any characters in mind, which means I can bring in someone new!

24. - Top - End - #24

Nice. I'm still working on Soren, so I'll probably have his skills, traits, and feats done tonight. It'll take longer to select his spells and items though.

EDIT: So who do you want to bring in, Silver? And night everyone! Here's Soren Lowell's sheet as of now, though it's still lacking items and fluff, and I might change the image. But it's clear what his statset is supposed to be--magic using and archer bard mostly focusing around buffing, debuffing, and annoying the hell out of enemies with illusions.

EDIT: Oh and guys you also need to select two additional traits; Dusk will tell you more.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2014-12-31 at 12:14 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Character Advancement, just note that we are using the Medium Advancement XP progression

Nope, my Avatar is Dusk Souls (A Runescape character, who is named that way because I used Dusk Eclipse for another RS character and forgot the password to that account ) I do have an Avatar for Dusk Eclipse, which was in fact the first custom avatar I got here

(yes he used a spiked chain)
    Is that a Feline, or what? (And spiked chains are cool)

Question: It's a little unclear to me how witches get to know their spells. Do they need to learn them like a Wizard, or do they just know them all like a Cleric?
    Last edited by CWater; 2014-12-31 at 11:26 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Is that a Feline, or what? (And spiked chains are cool)
    Aren't they like longtooth shifters instead of cat shifters or something like that? What do you have in mind?

Question: It's a little unclear to me how witches get to know their spells. Do they need to learn them like a Wizard, or do they just know them all like a Cleric?
    I really like the way that Beguilers and Warmages and the like cast their spells the most. Say, what spells do you have in mind,since there's a little bit of overlap between the Bard and Witch spell lists (for example, Comprehend Languages and Glitterdust)? I'm wondering if I should switch out Glitterdust or Minor Image for Heroism. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2014-12-31 at 11:38 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I really like the way that Beguilers and Warmages and the like cast their spells the most. Say, what spells do you have in mind,since there's a little bit of overlap between the Bard and Witch spell lists (for example, Comprehend Languages and Glitterdust)? I'm wondering if I should switch out Glitterdust or Minor Image for Heroism. What do you guys think?
    Well, Witches are prepared casters, so there's that difference. Also, while I haven't yet studied the spell list too much, I can say that I'm not building a healer or scholar out of this one. I think there's going to be a dark streak to this character.
    Last edited by CWater; 2014-12-31 at 11:43 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Well, Witches are prepared casters, so there's that difference. Also, while I haven't yet studied the spell list too much, I can say that I'm not building a healer or scholar out of this one. I think there's going to be a dark streak to this character.
    Yeah, there's a lot of debuffs and creepy spells in there; I think Mithril would love it. And meanwhile Soren is dancing and singing and doing buffs and illusions.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Yeah, there's a lot of debuffs and creepy spells in there; I think Mithril would love it. And meanwhile Soren is dancing and singing and doing buffs and illusions.
    I can already sense my character is just going to love him.

Ah, and I figured out the spell thing. Witches work like Wizards but with their familiar as the 'spellbook'. ^^

30. - Top - End - #30

I can already sense my character is just going to love him.
    This is going to be absolutely hilarious. But I'm sure they'll make a good team...eventually. And at least Soren worships the Sovereign Host and not the Silver Flame!

Ah, and I figured out the spell thing. Witches work like Wizards but with their familiar as the 'spellbook'. ^^
    Awesome! So you can potentially learn all the spells?

Oh, Dusk, you can put multiple enchantments on one item, right?